CHOCOLATE AND VICODIN update: How’s that book going?

Parents tend to take more photos of their first-born child than their second-born child, not because they love them less, but because the novelty of parenthood starts to wear off. How many photos do you really need of Jimmy’s first time in the wading pool? Similarly, now that I’ve written and released a book and I’m working on another one, I don’t feel as compelled to document the process as I was the first time. Then someone asks me how that whole book thing is going and when does it come out and will I be going on a book tour? Then I remember, oh yeah, this whole process can be rather fascinating if you’re on the outside of it, so maybe I should update people about it.

So, Jennette, how is that book going?
The book exists…as a Word file!

Chocolate and Vicodin manuscript

It’s currently a 262K word file, which seems ridiculously small since I’ve worked on it intermittently for almost two years now. I finished a draft at the beginning of the year and I’m currently working on revisions that are due at the end of June…right when I’m moving out of state! Because I am an excellent planner that way.

I’ve already finished the majority of the revisions, most of which fixed pacing issues or clarified things that were confusing or cut out brilliantly written bits that didn’t advance the story or were results of my compulsive need to constantly edit everything I’ve ever written, including this blog entry. All of which is to say, it’s in a really good place. When I reread it after several months, I didn’t remember every microscopic detail like I did when I was immersed in the thing. So I’ve found myself laughing in several places and thinking, “Ha, that’s clever! Hey, *I* wrote that! Look how clever I am! I even amuse myself!”

Awesome! When does it come out?
It’s currently slated for release in February of 2011.

Are you going on a book tour?
I have absolutely no idea. I haven’t talked to the marketing department yet, but I probably will within the next few months. Once we have a game plan, I’ll let you know when/if any book events are happening.

Wait, did you change the subtitle?
Yeah, the official title of the book is now “CHOCOLATE AND VICODIN: My quest for relief from the headache that wouldn’t go away.”

I can’t wait to buy a copy!
Thanks! I really, truly, sincerely appreciate that. I’ve worked really hard on the book and I’m glad to know I’ve presold some copies. I’d forgotten how much work it is to write a book, but let me tell you, it’s a shitload of work. Think of how much work you think it is and then triple that and then double it again for good measure. Then add a smidge more work and that’s how much work it is. Work, work, work, work, work. Work that is fun, but still work. So if you’re writing a memoir, you’d better damn like yourself because you’re going to get sick of yourself regardless, even when you’re already sick!

And that covers just about everything I know at this point. So if you have a question I didn’t answer, there’s a 90% chance I don’t have the answer yet either. I will let you know when anything else noteworthy happens on the book front. Thanks for asking!

Debby • June 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I double everything for “food measure”! Probably how I got this fat! :-) (I know it was a typo, but it’s just so perfect.)

Emma • June 21, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I hear you on the hell of a lot of work thing. I’m working on my first novel (first draft and considering scrapping it) and it’s already gone in ways I didn’t expect and taken more time and effort than I expected to get this far.

Good luck with it. I really want to read both your books!

Sheila • June 21, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Second time parents just don’t have TIME to scrupulously over document Baby’s every moment. Mere survival is a struggle! For my second’s christening, Daddy raced to church with brushing his teeth. For my sister’s second, that Daddy ran to church without shaving. Each second baby got one or two good photos from that day, which is enough. It’s been said that first babies receive four to five times as much attention as they need to thrive. I don’t know who came up with that estimate (or how), but it’s eased my parental guilt many times!

Sheila • June 21, 2010 at 4:59 pm

(That should be “withOUT brushing his teeth”, an error that illustrates my point perfectly.)

Dolores • June 21, 2010 at 7:11 pm

So, about how many words is a 262K word file?

PastaQueen • June 21, 2010 at 9:17 pm

@Dolores – Right now it’s 80,664 words.

Carbzilla • June 21, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Good luck with the book and PLEASE let me know if you’re coming to Seattle!

The Merry • June 21, 2010 at 10:51 pm

And when you’re coming to Portland. Powell’s does book tours, and I promise to drum up lots of people to come throw tomatoes hear you :)

Except… would it bug you if people ask questions about your 1st child while you’re trying to show them snapshots of #2?

The Merry • June 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm

#2 book! I meant to add book!

Kyle • June 21, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Cannot wait to buy it!

Mom Taxi Julie • June 21, 2010 at 11:57 pm

I think just the fact that you sold one book is awesome! Double awesome to be doing a second one.

I have 3 kids. I think the last one has more snapshots since I was scrapbooking a ton when he was little. The oldest definitly has more studio pictures.

shauna/dg • June 22, 2010 at 5:45 am

Good on you Jennette. Cannot WAIIIIIIITTTT to read it and pimp it on the podcast? :)

Amy • June 22, 2010 at 8:54 am

Dude, I am the fourth child and there are NO photos and I’m just trying to say that by the time you’re on your fourth book you’ll be putting crayon stick figure drawings up all over your house when that book comes home from college for thanksgiving because that’s what happens to the fourth book/child. And then therapy.

Shea • June 22, 2010 at 10:32 am

I can’t wait to read it! I too have the headache that hasn’t gone away (though after about a year of hell a few years ago, I at least got a diagnosis with meds that actually help). I regained a bunch of weight through the process, too, so you’re definitely not alone! I imagine there’s some great, funny material in your journey.

SG • June 22, 2010 at 12:53 pm

im soooo excited. i really truly can NOT wait to read it.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy • June 22, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Awesome! I’m sure it will be hilarious! Isn’t it funny how we all can’t wait to laugh at the fact that you are in constant pain? Thanks for keeping us amused!

Lesley • June 22, 2010 at 7:31 pm

@Debbi Does Dinner Healthy – Oh man, when you put it that way, it sounds awful, hee! But the book itself will probably be hilarious and interesting.

Dolores • June 22, 2010 at 8:07 pm

@PastaQueen – Thank You Pasta Queen. Now I know. ; )

Osa Morena • June 22, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I am looking forward to it because you write well. I think there may be a day some years from now when I’m reading your “nth” book and I’m thinking, “Gosh, I’ve been reading her since her very first book.”

Quix • June 23, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Awesome! Can’t wait to read. Love your writing on the blog, so yay for more!

Hannah • July 1, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Love the title. That’s half the battle. (of selling it anyways…) Then again, perhaps it’s because I have a more than passing acquaintance…. oh nevermind