Twitter-gurumi

Tweet, tweet!

Did I tell you my friend Dana got a job at Twitter? I know! I am so much cooler than you now, if only by association. The next time I see the fail whale, I’ll be sure to complain to her personally for falling down on the job. Dana is shipping off to San Francisco soon, leaving Indiana and all our cornfields behind for street trolleys and outrageous housing costs. So, I made her a stuffed, crocheted Twitter birdie so she’ll remember me once she’s made all her cool new friends. (She already met Will.i.am during her first week!)

Dolls like these are called “amigurumi,” a Japanese term that combines the words for “crocheted” and “stuffed doll.” I used the Lion Yarn pattern for an amigurumi chick (requires free registration to view). I crocheted the body with a strand of teal yarn and a strand of blue eyelash yarn worked together, which gave it the fuzzy appearance. The eyes are black buttons, and I made the feet with yellow pipe cleaners so the bird can perch on her desk. I hope it will keep her company as she is coding the future. Tweet, tweet!

Shelley B • April 16, 2010 at 10:53 am

That is too cute – you could sell your little twitter creatures!

Hunter • April 16, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I LOVE your fun fur chick creature. I make (knit) fun fur mice, raccoons, skunks, and hedgehogs. Is there a Japanese term for “knitted” and “stuffed doll”? I also knit teddy bears using Bernat Boa yarn. My creations usually get attacked by the FBI (Feline Bureau of Investigation) if I don’t keep them hidden. Anyway, I digress, yours is totally adorable!
=^..^=

Carbzilla • April 16, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Look at you, Craft Queen! I had no idea you were so multi-talented beyond the 400 talents you’ve already identified. Yes, you could totally sell those. Don’t be surprised if you get requests.

PastaQueen • April 16, 2010 at 12:32 pm

@Hunter – The term “amigurumi” applies to knitted dolls as well, so feel free to use it if you can pronounce it!

Rebecca • April 16, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Maybe Twitter will hire you now to make these for everyone at the company!

Benita • April 16, 2010 at 1:35 pm

That is a very cute birdie and she’ll look at it and remember her friends in Indiana foldly. Nice job making it!

sarah • April 16, 2010 at 5:20 pm

that is so cute! i want one!!!!

christen • April 16, 2010 at 9:33 pm

you are a yarn genius. I’d totally pay $10 for one. start calling some factories in china!

Deb • April 17, 2010 at 9:32 am

You are a woman of surprising and hidden (to me) talents! Thanks for sharing the creative side of you (that doesn’t involve writing, at least). To me, being “crafty” seems more out of reach than weight loss ever did.

I bet I know what that bird says — “tweet.” Ha ha.

Love ya!

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother • April 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Cute chick!

Dana • April 19, 2010 at 12:56 am

Thanks again for the super cute Twitter bird, Jennette. It’s a fine addition to my new desk and an endearing reminder of home. :)

rebecca - durch dick und duenn • April 19, 2010 at 1:25 pm

how fricken adorable!

I see a new job in your future!

Cindy Bidar • April 20, 2010 at 10:05 am

Absolutely adorable. Who knew there was a legitimate use for eyelash yarn?

Mom Taxi Julie • April 20, 2010 at 4:33 pm

It’s so cute!! I still haven’t jumped into the twitter world.

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.

The Man Who Smuggles Trader Joe’s into Canada