What’s your sign (mean)?

Someone will have to explain this sign to me:

Drive-thru parking only

Doesn’t the drive-thru exist so you don’t have to park? Or is this for people who go through the drive-thru and then eat in their cars? And if so, isn’t that sort of sad? It makes me imagine dozens of lonely people eating Big Macs in their cars.

beth • March 9, 2010 at 9:30 am

This is for when your order is not ready and they need you to wait, but not hold up the line.

PastaQueen • March 9, 2010 at 9:34 am

@beth – Ah, thanks. I’ve never had to do that in a drive-thru, but I know McDonalds can get really busy for breakfast, so that makes sense.

Curvy Jones • March 9, 2010 at 10:26 am

Me thinks they have problems if they had to designate a specific parking place for people who are waiting for their food in drive thru. It’s not supposed to be such a normal occurrence that you’ve actually set aside parking for that.

Rebecca • March 9, 2010 at 10:28 am

For some reason I find it embarrassing to go into a fast food establishment. “What if I run into someone I know and they see me eating junk food?” Nevermind that they would be there for the same reason. So, I would prefer to eat in my car in the parking lot over eating inside. But I am totally weird.

Shea • March 9, 2010 at 10:30 am

@Curvy Jones – Yeah, it’s usually for people with special orders outside the pre-fab ready-to-go food. I’ve had to wait on occasion- it’s still really quick, but no need to hold up the line for my desire of a lack of mayo.

The Merry • March 9, 2010 at 11:26 am

Gosh, PQ, you have some smart commenters. Maybe they can explain another sign that’s always puzzled me.
In South San Francisco, I once went by a street marked with a “One Way” sign. Which was fine, except that there was another sign right behind it on the same street. That sign was marked “Dead End.”
So… cars drive in, but they never drive out? Have I discovered the automobilic equivalent of a Roach Motel?
If any of your s.c.s can explain that one, I’d appreciate it :)

Ann in NJ • March 9, 2010 at 1:42 pm

When I had small babies, and HAD to get out of the house, I would load up the baby into the carseat, go for a drive, which put them to sleep, and go through a drive-thru for lunch or a treat. Eating in the car keeps the baby asleep, plus the bonus is that I can listen to the radio. Even now, I’ll occasionally do that because eating by myself still makes me self-conscious. Plus I still like listening to the radio.

blue • March 9, 2010 at 1:53 pm

yup… its to get you out of the way… ordering salads with grilled chicken seems to be a quick way to get sent there.

and the number 3 is so they can tell you specifically which one to park in…. implying they have at least 2 others, so either make everything fresh, or they make everything ahead and thus have to send you there for ordering something they dont sell a lot of.

so its sometimes actually a good sign for your food being fresh

PastaQueen • March 9, 2010 at 2:03 pm

@The Merry – Perhaps there is a wormhole at the end of the street and you pop out somewhere else in San Francisco.

Debbi S. • March 9, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I used to be one of those drive through parkers who’d eat in their cars. Never in the places marked for people to park though. I would constantly go to fast food places and eat food in my car. So glad those days are over and the calories are finally coming off.

suz • March 9, 2010 at 4:19 pm

That is what I call the PENALTY BOX if you order off the board or ask from something demanding like “no pickles” INTO THE PENALTY BOX! It teaches you to just take it how they make it and shut up and pick the pickles off yourself you troublesome MF.

soccermom • March 9, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Too freakin funny. My favorite is the rocket scientist that made the “slow children at play” sign. I laugh my ass off every time I drive by that one.

Nique • March 10, 2010 at 9:49 am

Was this sign at Culver’s, by chance?

PastaQueen • March 10, 2010 at 2:43 pm

@Nique – It was at a McDonald’s outside of Sheboygan.