Party on (but not too much)

I went to a party in Wisconsin last weekend. Yes, Wisconsin. They know how to drink there, and they put cheese sticks in their alcoholic beverages, at least in the mornings.

Wisconsin breakfast

It was fun to escape into a bubble universe for the weekend and live in a land where everyone is happy to see you and there is much dancing and revelry and ass-squeezing. (I’m looking at you, jenfu.) I am a bit disappointed no one flashed me or made out with me, and the raw food restaurant made my face so splotchy that it caused my fellow diners to frantically search for an antihistamine, but overall it was a high time. It was a place where my only responsibility was to make sure my bus buddy wasn’t left at the laser tag arena.

But now I am back in my day-to-day life and there are many responsibilities, like scheduling a conference call and picking up a friend from the mechanic and finishing a client’s site. It is tempting to contemplate a life where every week was a party week, yet I think the regularity of such revelry would destroy the properties that make those events so magical. It would also destroy my liver.

If every weekend was a party weekend, it wouldn’t be special at all. It would just be the weekend. Part of the fun of a party is that you get to escape from your regular life. If the party became your regular life, eventually you would seek to escape that. Anything that is fun and fulfilling has the potential to become a rut. It is an endless, annoying, vortex that circles around and around and sucks you in before you knew the whirlpool had formed.

And as much as I liked everyone who came to party, I know that if we all hung out 24/7, eventually there would be fights and disagreements because that is just what happens with human beings. There are very few people I could hang out with on a daily basis without beginning to fantasize about smothering them in their sleep.

So, it was a good weekend, a weekend I’d like to have again, but all the weekends in between are what make the fun never end.

Lisa • March 10, 2010 at 9:23 am

A drink with cheese in it? Eeewww. :)

The Merry • March 10, 2010 at 9:27 am

I’m sorry, but a cheese topping to an alcoholic drink is Just Wrong.

But I’m glad you had fun despite that drawback :)

Carbzilla • March 10, 2010 at 9:51 am

Great post! This is exactly how I feel about vacations – it’s the time in between that makes them special. Glad you had so much fun!

Nique • March 10, 2010 at 9:52 am

Mmm…Cheese…It makes everything better. We even put bacon in our Bloody Mary’s here (Milwuakee.) You gotta love it!

Jenny • March 10, 2010 at 11:08 am

Oh, this post made me homesick; I lived in Wisconsin for more years than I have not. (I don’t miss the cold, though!)

Personally, I like it when my bloody marys come with a salad (celery, olives, cheese, pickled asparagus or sprouts, pickles)! The only thing that bloody’s missing is a celery salt rim…

Mom Taxi Julie • March 10, 2010 at 12:23 pm

LOL about the smothering! I’ve kind of found that out about myself too. I definitly need “alone” time ;o)

I’ve never had a bloody mary. I’m wondering if I’m missing out on one of life’s great experiences.

cloudy • March 10, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Is that a tiny beer?

Hunter • March 10, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Now, that’s a drink! Is it normal to put pickles in them though? If it is, I guess I’m telling on myself then in that I don’t drink much. I am envisioning that large glass filled with vanilla ice cream. Yum!! Glad you had a good weekend. =^..^=

PastaQueen • March 10, 2010 at 2:44 pm

@cloudy – Yeah, you have to have a beer chaser :)

Debbi S. • March 10, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I was going to ask about the beer too. Is it a tiny beer or just an enormous drink? Either way, sounds like a heck of a weekend.

Donna • March 10, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Hmmm, I hope you find one of the few people you won’t smother sometime else it’d be hard to have a partner in your life. :-)

JEM • March 10, 2010 at 6:23 pm

I live the little beer chaser! So cute!

Lesley • March 11, 2010 at 4:37 am

Cheese – in a drink – my mind is literally boggling….

Glad you had a good time though!

Gingersnapper • March 11, 2010 at 7:54 am

One time in Virginia I had a martini with a chunk of SLIM JIM in the olive.

Rebecca • March 11, 2010 at 9:52 am

I have an “about to turn 21″ relative in college in WI and I am going to send him this pic. Awesome!

Steve • March 11, 2010 at 9:55 am

Hmmm…I’ll take the minibeer, you can have the cheese drink. Is that a pickle behind the cheese stick? GROSS!

Lou Ettore • March 11, 2010 at 10:50 am

I always thought everything was better with cheese…but my drink??? hmmm…

Lou Ettore

Poppy K • March 11, 2010 at 11:50 am

That Bloody Mary is a thing of beauty (too bad they were out of meat sticks)!

Oh, and by the way, you have great skin!

RNegade • March 11, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Looks much more Merry than Bloody–just the way I likes ‘em.

The cheese helps cushion the tummy lining, right? So, it’s actually an excellent health precaution. :-)