FitBloggin’ 10 – We love it here in Baltimore

I woke up at four o’clock in the morning to catch my flight to Baltimore for FitBloggin’ 2010. Waking up at that hour does strange things to my body, making me simultaneously feel like I’m going to barf and that I can talk to angels dancing on the wings of the plane. Hopefully they’d remind me to pull my hair back before vomiting. My odd mental state also made me very wary of sitting so close to the jet engines.

Jet Engine

My Paranoid Traveler’s Syndrome made me worry that the glass was going to break and I’d be sucked into the turbines like a bird with bad luck. Thankfully, the plane remained in tact, but this also meant that I spent the flight being taunted by ads in the seat pocket advertising free wifi that was not working on my flight.

Free wifi - NOT!

When questioned, the stewardess just shrugged her shoulders, which is the universal gesture for, “I’m just a stewardess, not a cable repair man.” While I rather hate to use this cliched phrase, major FAIL, Airtran!

When I arrived in Baltimore, I couldn’t stop singing a very old, obscure, Tori Amos song as I wondered around the concourse.

Eventually I did make it to my hotel, which was located in a prime spot near the happening inner harbor area. I cannot describe how beautiful the weather was. It was like gazing at the face of Helen of Troy, if her facial features consisted of sunshine, blue clouds, and a brisk breeze. There were lots of doggies and ducks (and some joggers too) traipsing around the harbor, all filled with the simple joy of a spring day.

We love it here in Baltimore

On Saturday, FitBloggin’ began, and a good time was had by all. And here is the “all” I’m talking about:

Fitbloggin' attendees

I wondered off the grounds for two hours in the early afternoon on a secret mission unsanctioned by the FitBloggin’ community. I walked half a mile to the Blue Moon Cafe, where I waited 40 minutes in the street with other breakfast crack seekers, until I was finally rewarded with this:

Captain Crunch French Toast

Yes, Captain Crunch French Toast! How could I not? Do you think I could get this in Indianapolis? No! And I walked there, so I’m sure that totally burned off the 8500 bazillion calories I consumed. I would love to go back to the cafe some time and sample their cinnamon rolls and biscuits that were literally as large as a chihuahua’s head. (Probably bigger, actually, depending on the chihuahua.)

Publishing panel

I arrived back in time to sit on the publishing panel, and forced myself to self-promote even though I felt like a total tool by name-dropping the magazines and TV shows I’ve been on. The members on the panel had a wide range of experience, and I thought it went rather well. A video of it should be online next month sometime. One correction though: I mentioned that I was in Self magazine, but I really meant to say Women’s Health. Sorry! I don’t want anyone thinking I’m a compulsive liar. Frankly, all those media promotions are a blur.

That night, I went out to dinner with my roommates, Amy and Rebecca. We tried going to a seafood place, but the wait was 90 minutes. So we ended up at a tapas restaurant and sat at the bar with some Flamenco dancers between sets.

Flamenco

Then it was back home to Indianapolis, where I napped and got bedlag to go with my jetlag. Big props to Roni for organizing this great event. People were already talking about FitBloggin’ 2011, but I’m going to need more nap time before I can commit to that.

One Trackback

[...] PastaQueen – FitBloggin’ 10 – We love it here in Baltimore [...]

Barbara Raab • March 22, 2010 at 11:29 am

So, um, what was the conference actually about? Did you come home having learned new stuff?

PastaQueen • March 22, 2010 at 11:33 am

@Barbara Raab – I went to meet people and hang out with online friends, which I did. I didn’t really care as much about the sessions or learning new things :)

FitFunk • March 22, 2010 at 11:39 am

Looks fun! Yes, you look very sage and professorial up there on the panel.

Carbzilla • March 22, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Glad you’re back safe and sound and not sucked into turbines. I think I might be most interested in FitBloggin’ but it was too far away this year. Maybe 2011!

kat • March 22, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I love that the parts you chose to focus your ‘reporting’ on- the weather and captain crunch waffles. I flew a different Air Tran flight and I must tell you- that wifi is pretty cool.

kat • March 22, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Correction- french toast.

PastaQueen • March 22, 2010 at 12:19 pm

@kat – I figure there are dozens of posts about the FitBloggin’ happenings, and the sessions will be online eventually, so I may as well write about the things that were unique to my trip.

Steve • March 22, 2010 at 12:48 pm

You mean, you skipped the oatmeal bar breakfast?! FOR SHAME! (J/k, in all honesty, myself and a bunch of others were at the breakfast buffet on the first floor. Oatmeal wasn’t going to cut it :-P)

WooT Fitbloggin’! Seriously had a blast this weekend, and it was so cool to meet you.

Rebecca • March 22, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Okay, I would kill for some of that french toast right now.

Lauren @ Eater not a runner • March 22, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Looks like a blast, wish I could have gone!!

Debbi S. • March 22, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I’d go just for the CC French Toast! Totally worth getting up at 4 am and taking a plane 1/2 across the country for.

The Merry • March 22, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Spring in Baltimore
Captain Crunch/French Toast for real?
Sounds wrong yet tasty

JEM • March 22, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Glad you had a great time!

dehlia • March 22, 2010 at 7:21 pm

that sounds like so much fun! today was a dreary day in CT :( it must be so cool being around such inspiring people, including yourself :)

Charlie Hills • March 22, 2010 at 11:59 pm

I’m surprised your panel didn’t have a moderator.

Alyssa • March 23, 2010 at 12:31 am

Sounds like an awesome weekend – I’m so jealous of the nice weather (don’t even get me started on the Cap’n Crunch waffles). It’s still freezing here!

Vanessa R • March 23, 2010 at 3:16 am

I’ve seen Captain Crunch french toast on the Food Network before….nom nom nom.

I sure hope you go to Fitbloggin in ’11 – now that I’ve heard a lot about it on Twitter, etc, I am thinking of going next year and it would be fun to hear you speak. :)

Miz • March 23, 2010 at 6:19 am

loved seeing you but wish we’d had some QUIET TIME to chat and just be.
(Im selfish that way. wanted to talk books and movies and life in general)
If you ever end up down my way let me know!

mary • March 23, 2010 at 8:47 am

I just feel the need to say “I’m in the macaroni military”!!

PastaQueen • March 23, 2010 at 9:05 am

@Charlie – Yeah, our panel just seemed to run itself :)

@Carla – There were several people I wished I’d had more time to chat with and you were one of them. If I’m ever in Austin, I will take you up on that!

@mary – Thanks! Glad to hear it :)

p • March 23, 2010 at 1:50 pm

ok
a) “My Paranoid Traveler’s Syndrome made me worry that the glass was going to break and I’d be sucked into the turbines like a bird with bad luck.” omg, me too.
b) “It was like gazing at the face of Helen of Troy, if her facial features consisted of sunshine, blue clouds, and a brisk breeze.” damn girl, you make me LAUGH.
i definitely love you the mostest.

Susan • March 23, 2010 at 6:06 pm

You had a great weekend to be in Baltimore. I live about 20 minutes from there and the weather this weekend was absolutely gorgeous. I’m glad you had a good time. And Blue Moon Cafe rocks. The cinnamon buns are awesome. Make sure you get one if you ever come back.

Quix • March 23, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Mmm…captain crunch french toast. :) And you totally look all official-like up there on the panel!

Sounds like a good time was had by all. It’s making me consider possibly going next year. Maybe.

Mary (A Merry Life) • March 24, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Captain Crunch French Toast? Oh wow. I wish I had been around for that.

It was really nice to get your autograph and talk to you for a few minutes. I remember that we talked but have no idea what about. Hehe. ;)

Charlie Hills • March 24, 2010 at 11:53 pm

@Carla, I feel the same way. This is one part of the blogosphere I just live on the edge of. I’m not a hardcore fitness blogger (hell, any more all I write about is . . . well, writing).

I knew next to no one going into the FitBloggin weekend and so I was looking forward to meeting the few folks I did virtually know–including Roni–and it just never really happened. Everyone was so busy.

That said, I had a great time and I made a couple new friends I never expected to. But it does make me wonder to what far-flung city I’ll have to travel to in order to meet MizFit again (never mind we live less than ten miles apart!)

juliejulie • March 25, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Good meeting you. Good session, good talking, good jacket, great shirt. You did good. I like you already.

Cari • March 27, 2010 at 12:09 am

OMG, gotta love Baltimore. Great stuff!!

egoddess1 • April 9, 2010 at 4:39 pm

from baltimore live in dc now, but very cool you were there! i am dying to try the captain crunch french toast, saw it on the travel channel! i enjoy reading your blog, keep up the good work :)

Site Meter