Chatting with the ghosts of past bloggers

Do people even buy milk cartons anymore?

The night that FitBloggin’ concluded, my room mates and I started talking in our dark hotel room like you do at slumber parties, where you’re just voices without bodies, sort of like how we are on the Internet. We were talking about the bloggers we’d met and the bloggers we read and that’s when I asked, “Does anyone remember Fat Bitch?”

“YES! She used to wear a bag on her head with a face drawn on it to remain anonymous!”

“She was hilarious! Then she just stopped blogging.”

“What about that one blog, Yo Ho Ho or something? There were pirates, remember?”

“Oh yeah, what was that called?”

You Heave Ho! She was a pirate who wanted to lose her booty.”

“I miss A Dumbbell in a Home Gym.” We all sighed in agreement. “Hopeful Loser, too.”

“I miss The Fat Slayer.”

“How about Fatty McBlog? Remember that time she tripped on the stairs and almost crushed her neighbor?”

“Wait, do you mean Fatty McButterpants?”

“No, Fatty McBlog. There is a Fatty McButterpants, but she doesn’t write Fatty McBlog.”

Silence.

Then we broke into laughter, because how many times do you get to use the phrase “Fatty McButterpants” in conversation, not once, but twice? We were speaking a highly specialized language that only a handful of people in the world might understand. It’s great that new people are taking up blogging all the time, but I bet newbie fitness bloggers don’t remember any of those blogs. I feel like something is being lost, like there will be no one left to remember them.

It’s sad that the people who used to let me peek into their lives have shut their doors and pulled their curtains closed. Missing in action. No forwarding address. It made me think of how fleeting so many relationships are. I would like to have met them, in real life, in person, without bags over their heads. Some of the missing bloggers worry me, like Fat Queen who posted about going in for surgery and was never heard from again. Or Beth from Act Boldly who talked about being depressed, posted that she was fine and then never came back.

I sometimes feel like an old lady of blogging, waving my keyboard at the kiddies, shouting, “I remember when we used Greymatter to run our blogs! I remember when LiveJournal was owned by Americans!” I wonder how many people are left to remember those bloggers who entertained us when our bosses weren’t looking at our computer screens, and wrote posts that made us comment even though we usually lurk. They meant something to me. Did they mean something to you?

Here’s to those that came before us! Which bloggers do you miss? Who do you hope is remembered?

4 Trackbacks

[...] you ever wonder what happened to your favorite health and fitness bloggers? So does Pasta Queen Jennette Fulda. We use this space each week to celebrate both veteran and new fitness bloggers, so be sure to [...]

MizFit · April 9, 2010 at 3:20 am

[...] (Pasta Queen also started my bloggingwheels turning with her recent post about Ghosts of Past Bloggers) [...]

[...] (Pasta Queen also started my bloggingwheels turning with her recent post about Ghosts of Past Bloggers) [...]

Tanya • March 24, 2010 at 8:22 am

Oh wow – you brought up Greymatter! Hells yeah I was there :-)

Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit • March 24, 2010 at 8:29 am

I used livejournal back in the day and still use it to communicate with a select few people via a community.

I’m still new to fitness blogs but with as infrequent as I post these days I’m sure I’m considered blog roadkill by some.

shauna/dg • March 24, 2010 at 8:34 am

OMG GREYMATTER! Those were the days. I remember when comments were invented!

I miss all those bloggers… such great writers! Where are you now ladies? Speak up if you are still out there! You are missed.

I also miss Meg of I Am That Girl Now. I know she is alive and well and just not blogging but MISS HER.

PastaQueen • March 24, 2010 at 8:59 am

@shauna/dg – @Tanya – I loved the inspirational quotes that appeared at the bottom of every Greymatter page :)

@shauna/dg – Meg was great! It sometimes took me two days to read her entries because they were so long though :) Still, loved her!

Carbzilla • March 24, 2010 at 9:57 am

Glad you had a great time at FB. I figured that’s probably the best get-together for me, but it was just too far away this year.

I’m a relative newbie and have only been reading blogs for about a year (though on the internet since 1996), so I don’t remember those, but I can relate to having someone there, and then they’re MIA. I’ll have to check on those blogs and catch up a little. I guess life just happens to people.

Hope you’re with us for a long time!

Elizabeth Stinebaugh • March 24, 2010 at 10:00 am

I miss Morgan Gets Thin. Sigh.

Glad you’re still around, PastaQueen!

rebecca • March 24, 2010 at 10:12 am

oh gawd… that was seriously one of the best convo’s from that weekend!

and that french toast looks amazing… you should have told us.. we would have come although lunch was delish..

cant wait to do it again!

JEM • March 24, 2010 at 10:25 am

I have left people hanging for months before. I came back, hopefully some of those will too. You mentioned some of my past faves. It does always make me worry when they just disappear. Then I have to convince myself they are just having too much fun living life to blog anymore. I hope.

Dara • March 24, 2010 at 10:30 am

Greymatter — I was just wondering that other day if Noah is OK and what he’s doing now.

asithi • March 24, 2010 at 10:44 am

I have been reading blogs since the early 2000s. But I don’t even pay attention when bloggers stop blogging. I just delete them off my reader. That tells you how much attention I paid to things. I just figured they are off to the next big thing. Life happens.

ChrissyS • March 24, 2010 at 10:45 am

I can get what you are saying, even though I am fairly new to fitness blogs. (Love ‘em; they are very encouraging to me.) Yours was my first 3 years ago I do believe! Thank you for intro-ing me to this world, my friend!
I really do start to think of the writer as a friend, and would like to meet many of them someday. So great that you got that opportunity.

I am so glad you continue to write. Thanks again.

chrissie • March 24, 2010 at 10:47 am

I remember Act Boldly and Fat Bitch. When I quit blogging a few years ago Denise at lottalatte.blogspot.com hadn’t posted anything in forever but she’s back yay! (me too, ish)

lauramich • March 24, 2010 at 11:08 am

Seconding the missing of Meg at I Am That Girl Now. Glad to hear, Shauna, that she’s alive and well, even if she’s gone missing from the blogosphere.

I’ve been toying for a long time with starting my own blog, but until I can trust myself to update it consistently and not pull a disappearing act of my own, I’m going to hang back for a while longer.

Helen • March 24, 2010 at 11:28 am

What I wonder is why they don’t just take their blogs down, or at least say goodbye the way Cranky Fitness did, for example.

Early • March 24, 2010 at 11:31 am

I’m relatively new in blogland (<2 years), so I never read any of those; but I've already seen my fair share of bloggers that fell off the face of blog earth.

What's more disappointing though, waiting forever for a new post, or one day finding a 'THIS BLOG IS OPEN TO INVITED READERS ONLY' notice when trying to access a blog you've been 'following'? The latter happened with 'Annette's Awakening' and I was soooo disappointed…

FitFunk • March 24, 2010 at 11:35 am

I’m fairly new to the scene, but I live in fear of my faves not being there one day. Yours & DietGirl’s were my first, but now I have quite a few I rely on for frequent inspiration, commiseration, and laughs. Let’s all sign lifetime contracts to never stop posting. Ok, ok, I know there are no guarantees…

JEM • March 24, 2010 at 12:20 pm

@Helen – Well, I think alot of times people don’t mean to quit blogging. They think they will come back to it at some point but them the time quickly passes and they forget. I was gone for 5 months last year…I never meant for it to be so long. But I guess if you know you are gone for good, it would be nice to hear a goodbye. I don’t think you should necessarily take the blog down though. Especially a weight loss or fitness blog. Sometimes the archives help others even if you are not around anymore.

Annie • March 24, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I remember most of those. The others might have been before my time or they could have been ones I just never ran up on. I know I have gone missing a lot over the years. Sometimes live gets busy and some other times things just kick your butt really good.

Rebecca • March 24, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Wouldn’t it be great if there was some kind of online database that indexed (forever) all the old blogs (only if the authors wanted them there) so we could at least go back to the archives? And newbies could check out the greats of years past?

Jesse • March 24, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I wonder if I’m the only one checking these comments in case one of your readers happens to know an update on any of these folks…? I wasn’t around for any of the bloggers you mention, but I know well that pang when a familiar name goes missing.

Mary • March 24, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Congratulations on being picked in the top 100!

Teri • March 24, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Aww! I remember Fat Bitch! And I used to read Dumbbell in a Home Gym all the time, too! I haven’t thought of them in *years*! Wow, thanks for dusting out the cobwebs of my brain with this post.

Julie • March 24, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Though it’s not weight related, I really miss secraterri.com. She still has her old archives up, and once in a while will post a birthday greeting to a family member. No “real” posts in over 5 years and no explanation! I feel kind of silly that I got so caught up in a stranger’s life. ;)

The Merry • March 24, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Crabby McSlacker has class — she knows when to leave the party and says ciao. That was sad, but understandable.

Sometimes it’s scary when people stop blogging.
The other day, Daily Diary of a Winning Loser mentioned a blogger, a woman who’d just posted to her blog the day before. Apparently the woman had died from a heart attack that night. At 33.

Poppy K • March 24, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I totally miss Bitter Hag. *sigh*

Glenda • March 24, 2010 at 4:36 pm

This is actually the only fitness blog I read, so don’t you go missing without warning, PQ ;-).

There have been people I worried about when they talked about being depressed and then never posted again.

I have my blog password info written down and my hubby has instructions to post to it should something ever happen to me — not because I have a huge following, but rather because there are a handful of people who I keep in touch with mostly via my blog and their blogs and who would actually miss me and wonder about me if I quit posting without warning.

Melissa • March 24, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Not a fitness blog but I sure do miss lexxicon (Athena?)

Christie • March 24, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I’m not a blog reader veteran like some people but in the last 2 years there have been some people who have gone MIA. Some with explanation and some with out explanation. It’s really pretty sad and I just keep going back again and again to see if there are any updates. I even check the comments to see if anyone left any said anything there.

Anyway, I’m with Jesse above — I keep checking your comments to see if anyone has an update on the people you mentioned.

shauna/dg • March 24, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Just came back to see if there were any MIA reports… hehe :)

Maureen • March 24, 2010 at 7:05 pm

There are quite a few people I miss-but the two I miss most are Bitter Hag and Shellyness.com. I think those were the first online journals (yep, that is what we used to call them) I read.

I love Miss Doxie-she came back for a few posts, then disappeared again.

It is strange to miss people you never met, but you do start to care about people you read about most days.

MB • March 24, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I wish I could have been there for the ghost of bloggers past pajama party. One of these days.

I miss many of the people you mentioned but the bloggers I miss the most are Shaping My Way (Kyra), Diet Coke and Zingers, Dieting Battle, Martinis for Two … oh, there’s too many to list.

Nancy • March 24, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I miss the Fat Slayer too. The funny thing is her last post says something about work easing up so she will be able to post more regularly.

Tara • March 24, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Hey! Fattie McBlog starting blogging again! And then they kinda stopped….again. I miss them.

Zoe • March 24, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I miss Morgan gets thin too…..

Pamela • March 24, 2010 at 8:55 pm

I completely get what you’re saying! I myself was lost for a while, but found my way back (for me, it was because I “fell off the wagon”). I have quite a few people on my blogroll that have just disappeared. I always worry that something has happened to them when they just stop posting without warning.

Jennifer • March 24, 2010 at 8:59 pm

@Tara – I was reading all the comments hoping someone would have an update on Fatty McBlog! I was even kind of hoping Emily or Lindsay themselves would comment. (I know, magical thinking, it was just a small hope)

Beep • March 24, 2010 at 10:52 pm

I miss Fat Doctor.

anji • March 25, 2010 at 12:01 am

The Fat Queen is still alive and well apparently as she has had some E-Bay sales in late 2009!

Not sure about the others.

I’ve been blogging since 1998… and I wonder how many ‘re-inventions’ of my blog I have had… and wonder if anyone missed me, when I changed things around.

Interesting!

Miz • March 25, 2010 at 5:43 am

Man.
This spoke to me truly as I start to figure out and plan my potential (waffle much? I know) swan song from blogging.
Ive been blogging since 2001 and hadnt pondered if people even recall my initial permutations or if theyve been forgotten.
powerful stuff.

*pours out some protein shake for her fallen homies*

Amy • March 25, 2010 at 12:40 pm

@rebecca – one of my readers found a recipe for it, it looks pretty easy but maybe the magic is in having it made for you!

Mom Taxi Julie • March 25, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I don’t know who any of those people are but I have had a few that I really enjoyed that have dropped off.

Denise • March 25, 2010 at 2:35 pm

@chrissie – Wow, I hadn’t realized anyone had noticed my little “sabbatical”, so thanks for the welcome back. :)

Denise • March 25, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I miss reading Taylor from That Thin Bitch and Yvonne from Unexamine This, but I keep in touch with both of them through other channels, so I know they’re OK.

Lainey • March 25, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I miss Dieting Battle and Diet Coke and Zingers, too. Dieting Battle inspired me to start my own blog!

There was also a girl from Alabama…I think her blog was called Heather’s a Loser, or maybe she changed it to Heather’s Journey. Anyway, I miss her blog, too.

Raina at The Garden of Yum • March 26, 2010 at 9:49 am

I am new to blogging…so I have never heard of those other blogs. They sound funny though. I like funny blogs. I think I am going to like yours.

Fatslayer • March 27, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Hey, I’m back (sort of). I can’t believe that the week I blow off the cobwebs and start to post is the week I get a mention here. How freaky is that?

Having read all these comments I feel pretty bad for having gone MIA for such a long time without a parting word (especially because I hate it when that happens with my favourite blogs). I honestly never thought anyone would miss me!

But anyway, for what it’s worth I plan to be around for a while, and if I ever decide to quit again I’ll make sure I write a swan-song post so that no one wonders what happened to me!

scone • March 29, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Juju Ridl– she goes way back. I did some guesting for her, and then she just evaporated! Maybe it was something I wrote?

scone • March 29, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Correction– Juju Ridl still has the Skinny Daily Post, although she’s posting infrequently. Should have googled first. My bad.

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother • March 29, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Morgan gets Thin.

And so glad you are still around, and Roni, and MizFit and Lyn, both Lynn’s!

Gingersnapper • March 31, 2010 at 7:48 am

A think a lot of bloggers drifted off when they stopped trying to lose weight, or when it ceased to be a major focus in their lives. But I’d still like to read them, whether it’s about WL or something else!

I especially miss Zara the pirate, Fatslayer, and Act Boldly. And Yvonne of course, but I’ve reconnected with her elsewhere.

Gail -- Shrinking Sisters • April 5, 2010 at 9:38 am

I was about to say JuJu when someone else beat me to it. I’m so glad she’s back to blogging again! I loved Skinny Daily Post and hold onto a few of her posts, especially one called “Not Right Now” from August 2004: http://skinnydailypost.wordpress.com/2004/08/13/not-right-now/

RhodeyGirl • April 9, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I miss Couch Cubicle.

JC in MA • April 11, 2010 at 11:27 pm

I used to read a blog called “One Fat Man” by a guy named Fred Anderson, later “One Phat Man”; he even had a book published on his weight loss journey. Nothing in about 3 or 4 years, and I just found his wife Robyn’s site about her cats and she mentions him, so he’s around. He was so enthusiastic that I can’t help but think that he’s regained his weight; his last update to his site was that he had gained “10 or 15 pounds”.
Then there was another lady who lived in Central MA and lost a lot of weight on WW – her brother went missing, and she hasn’t posted much since. But I think she still has a forum that’s active at times.

Pamela MyBodyMyBlog • April 13, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I remember one blog called Callipygian that I really enjoyed, and will second (third? fourth?) the missing of Meg.

Game of Thrones rape: Director Alex Graves says the sex "becomes consensual."

Runaway stowaway survives Calif.-Hawaii flight: FBI - CBS News
If this had happened in a movie I would never have believed it was possible.

Fitbit, Nest data: How the companies are making money off you.

Site Meter