What the beck?!

So, I should be posting about week three of The Beck Diet Solution right now, only I have not finished week three of The Beck Diet Solution. I don’t even remember why or when I stopped, only that I kept meaning to read the next chapter, but I stumbled over some Superbowl guacamole and chips on my way to the bookshelf, and they fell right in my mouth! I know, crazy, eh? Blah blah blah, excuse-cakes. I had a cold, a toothache, five million freelance projects. Whatever. I think mostly my dopamine levels dropped, and my brain did not see this as a fun new thing anymore and I was less motivated to keep reading.

But, now I feel really guilty! Because people have asked me, “PastaQueen, where is you post about the third week of The Beck Diet Solution?” And I’m having flashbacks to freshman year of college, honors class, when Professor Tunberg is asking me what I thought of chapter four of The Odyssey, which I have not read, and I make some strange analogy about Kirk Douglas and Michael Douglas in relation to Odysseus and his son Telemachus, because they sort of look alike, you know, and OH MY GOD, do you think he knows I didn’t do the reading?

So here I sit, all guilty, and shamed. So, I will get back on the program and start week three, because FitBloggin’ is coming up and I would like to feel more fit and less blob-like. I have found one serious flaw in Dr. Beck’s book though. It doesn’t tell you what to do when you don’t feel like reading the book anymore. I think they need to place a big message on the back cover that says, “Stop ignoring this book!” I suppose I could whip out PhotoShop and make a revisionist back cover just for those purposes.

By the way, congratulations to Rachel from Minneapolis who won my camera giveaway! She has already accepted her prize, but I also want to thank everyone who entered. I really do appreciate the support and I wish I could send you all cameras.

BB • February 17, 2010 at 11:39 am

Well, you made it farther then I did. I was happy to see that I bought the Beck book right before I found out you did. I need to get back on track too.

DanaDanger • February 17, 2010 at 11:58 am

You know those greeting cards that make noise when you open them? Maybe the Beck book could make noise when you *don’t* open it for a while. You’d be minding your own business, not reading the book while gorging on cake, and the book would start audibly scolding you.

Sheryl • February 17, 2010 at 12:01 pm

There are more important things than following a program every day. So what if you wait and do week 3 when for you it has been 5 weeks, if you need a break from it? Or even start over with week 1 if you think that will be more helpful. You have enough pressure on you without creating more with perfectionistic expectations.

(One of my New Year’s resolutions, ah, well, I’ve kept it for 2 of the 7 weeks of 2010 so far ….)

Denise • February 17, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I encourage you to get back on track; I can’t wait to read about week 3! (It’s like getting a free detailed synopsis of the book without actually having to buy it lol) I want to know what happens next! :-)

Denise • February 17, 2010 at 12:05 pm

P.S. – Are your most recent tweets gone from your website forever? I enjoyed them. Twitter is blocked here at work.

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother • February 17, 2010 at 12:44 pm

You are hilarious! I could care less about your review of the program- I mean I want you to succeed and everything, but the way you describe and write everything is so funny!

Steph • February 17, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Haha, I just came to your blog wondering what has happenend to the Becks thing!

I have another question, I also have struggled with my diet a lot and lately I’ve been reading about vegan/raw diets. I’m not sure if I could do it completely…I like my cooked foods. But I have added a lot of foods into my diet that I hadn’t even heard of before and it seems to work on the waistline.

I read on this blog that the author also struggled with migraines/ headaches before starting the raw/vegan diet:

So I’m not sure if that would help…but depending on how desperate your are with the headaches, maybe it’s worth a try!

If you don’t want to hear any headache advice just ignore this!

becklette • February 17, 2010 at 1:45 pm

i thought this was about me for half a second.

i found beck to be… insulting. i mean, i KNOW my hunger is not an emergency, but low blood sugar makes me cranky and sets me up for a binge later. how does thins help?

i gave up on her long ago.

Carbzilla • February 17, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Just do your best – that’s what I’ve been telling myself lately.

Can’t wait to hear about FItBloggin’. I would totally go if it were closer.

Debbi S. • February 17, 2010 at 2:25 pm

It’s nice to have the blog support system! Can you imagine if you didn’t have it? Then you might never pick up the book again. I envy that kind of support, my hubs continues to buy Ho-Ho’s, Klondike bars, chips and 10,000 other things that I love that don’t make HIM fat but I get fatter just by looking at them in the cupboard. Yes, I know, now I’m making excuses again. I wish you well with the book. I love the idea about the STOP IGNORING THIS BOOK page.

Linda • February 17, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I hear you Pasta Queen. I only made it through week 1 about 3 weeks ago. Then I bought another book written by some chef who had been on Martha Stewar’s Apprentice show. Anyway, it’s about changing your thinking and becoming “naturally thin”. So I put the two books together and am working them “in tandem” to my own time frame. I’m taking what I like and leaving the rest. I’m taking a whole week for each activity from the two books. It’s working for me right now.

I enjoy reading your shares Pasta Queen. You are really funny and I appreciate your honesty of where you’re at. I look forward each week to what you have to share!

Rahim Samuel • February 17, 2010 at 2:57 pm

That’s okay we all do it one time or another. I was attacked by 2 turkey burgers and a plate of buffalo wings during the super bowl. I told them I didn’t want any trouble but they got heavy with me.

jacque • February 17, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I totally understand what you are going through, I bought the book and made it to the middle of week 2. I still have my cards and I carry the darn thing with me to and from work in case I might find the time to read the next chapter. I am going to start again too, and maybe it will stick.

FitFunk • February 17, 2010 at 4:42 pm

@Rahim – too funny!

re: Beck…I wrote out my reasons to lose weight on a bunch of index cards and read them a few times a day. I made a conscious effort to eat *only* while seated. Then I kind of lost touch w/Beck. Too regimented? I think the main takeaway I got was Be More Conscious in general (of what you put in your mouth, of your hunger level, of your goals, etc.)

I like the new look on your comments – hovering on a name to see their other comments and blog posts. cool!

Anonymous Fat Girl • February 17, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Ha ha!!! I really need to check out this book. A lot of people have been talking about it. Now that I’m done reading the political smut and trash that only John Edwards’ life could provide, it’s time I hit up some health books. I’m anxiously awaiting your week three review. :)

Miz • February 18, 2010 at 5:48 am

Im with deanna.
totally.
and have to add that for some reason I sing FITBLOGGGGIN ala the Jim Gaffigan short comedy snipped where he talks about HOT POCKETS.

seen it?

Kar • February 18, 2010 at 10:06 am

Ah, I too was attacked by wings during the Superbowl. Grilled sesame spicy ones. There should be a public service announcement at half time, just to warn everyone.

And just in case you’re wondering, my exercise DVDs do not put themselves in the DVD player and press play at 6AM. Also, the new bike trainer has not unpacked itself and hooked itself to the back wheel of my bike. Yet. Maybe today.

Julie • February 18, 2010 at 11:57 am

Selfishly glad to see that you are planning on picking Beck back up again. I purchased the book when I first read your posts about it as it sounded like something I need.

But I haven’t read more than a couple of pages and was coming back to check in and be inspired. LOL

No pressure or anything.

Steve • February 18, 2010 at 2:09 pm

It happens to everyone, I like DanaDangers “audible scolding” idea though :)

I’d like to be less bloblike for Fitbloggin’ too (I’ll be there..WooT. Would it be weird if I wanted you to sign my copy of your book? :-P) but I think I have a long way to go before I’m more fit than blob.

Quix • February 18, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I’m with Miz. And Deana. Even if this isn’t it, I just hope you find something that works for you. I’m very intrigued by the concept, but for me, it just seems too *busywork*. But maybe it’s busywork that’s needed. Hmmmm…

Race to Lose • February 18, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Great blog! sounds like you are doing something similar to myself…I can’t wait to see how you progress:)

Nique • February 18, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I had the same problem with the book. I liked the ideas, but I only made it through about four weeks, and then I gave it up. I have a stack of note cards for proof of my progress. Maybe I should pick the book back up.

The Merry • February 19, 2010 at 12:01 am

I’m thinking of writing my own diet book, advocating a venison-only diet. Then people can write blog posts titled “what the buck?”

Plus, if it made tons o’ cash, I’d be raking in the bucks. People could write in saying that they felt really bucked up after trying my diet.

And then… what was that?
Oh.
Okay.
I’ll shut up now.
(Hey, it’s been a long day. My sense of humor is probably even more skewed than usual.)

Bisous • February 19, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is researched and proven but DAMN, it’s boring.

Linda • February 20, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Look for the audio version. At least that way you can do other things is it is a total flop, and still have the book to refer back to if you like.
In my line of work there is a saying – “Too good many books to waste time finishing bad ones.”

Sparkle • February 21, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I started (and gave up) Becks Book a while ago. It was just too much more crap to haul around and put on my to do list while I left myself off.

Becky • February 24, 2010 at 1:40 am

I haven’t ever heard of Beck’s book, but have been following the nutritional plan outlined in Melonie Dodaro’s latest book titled, “The MindBody FX Lifestyle.” The thing I like about the Dodaro’s plan is that it points out that you should be eating every 2-3 hours (list of healthy foods are suggested) to keep the metabolism going- so I don’t feel as though I am deprived.

Origins Of Mysterious World Trade Center Ship Determined | IFLScience
The most attention grabbing story ever published in Tree-Ring Research!

'Muffin top' billboard gets a graffiti makeover - Health - TODAY.com
I very much approve of this graffiti.

If Men Were Women - YouTube