Thinking of you

I’ve been thinking of two people this morning. First, my friend Kyle Hepp (who’s a girl, despite the typically masculine name), who is a photographer in Santiago, Chile. I opened up my web browser to MSNBC this morning to see the words “8.8 quake hits Chile; huge tsumani feared” in all caps, with the big, red, breaking-news bar above it. All caps and big red bars are very bad news indeed. The pictures of overturned cars aren’t very reassuring either. I haven’t heard anything from her on her blog or Twitter. I’m going to tell myself she is ok and is most likely without Internet and electricity to tell us so. But, hopefully she will check in soon.

UPDATE: Kyle is okay! Yay! Read about her earthquake experience here.

Second, I wanted to wish Erin Shea good luck. Good luck, Erin! Erin is running a half-marathon today in New Orleans. She’s been tracking her training on a group blog. I remember how much work training for my own half-marathon was and I wish for her good weather, many water stops, and clean Porta-a-Potties.

Steve • February 27, 2010 at 10:58 am

I’ve had CNN on all morning listening/watching this stuff. I hope your friend is okay, I’m sure she is, but still.

And good luck, Erin!

Charity • February 27, 2010 at 11:04 am

One of my coworkers, who’s originally from Chile, was supposed to leave yesterday for a 3-week vacation to South America, including Chile. We had more snow here in the Northeast yesterday, so maybe his flight got canceled. So I hope.

Hunter • February 27, 2010 at 1:38 pm

So glad to hear your friend Kyle is okay. Can’t hide from an earthquake.

And, good luck to Erin!

=^..^=

ChrissyS • February 27, 2010 at 3:11 pm

My son’s girlfriend is in Santiago, Chile for work right now. She is trying to leave, but apparently some damage to Santiago’s airport. Her hotel evacuated everyone while they assessed damage, and said (after many hours) that they could return to their (somewhat damaged) rooms. She is not in her room, though, she’s outside, which seems like a good idea.

kathy • February 27, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I lived in Chile and Argentina from 1987 through 1990 and my heart is just breaking…

Kyle • February 28, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Hey thanks, I just saw this. Yes, I was without internet and then when I finally got it it was incredibly slow. Fast enough to call my mom though fortunately, and is now back to normal. Thanks for thinking of me. People in the South of chile are much worse off, we’re doing ok up here in Santiago.

Miz • March 1, 2010 at 5:42 am

Glad your friend is ok, PQ.
And Im off to see what Erin thought of the race.
This time next week I fear I shall be sore as the proverbial m***** f*****.

(can I say that here?! :))

cindy • March 1, 2010 at 6:23 am

I don’t read a newspaper, or watch TV so I hadn’t heard about the quake. Imagine… you are now my source of news as well as health inspiration! Thanks for the heads-up. I am paying attention now…

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.

The Man Who Smuggles Trader Joe’s into Canada