Farm Fresh Delivery update

Farm Fresh Delivery

Farm Fresh Delivery has been delivering vegetables to my front door for two months now, and it’s going fairly well. I have yet to trip over a parsnip on the way out the door, and I’ve eaten several good-for-me plants I wouldn’t have otherwise. Yes, I threw out half the bok choy when it started to rot, after telling myself every night I’d do stir-fry for dinner and then popping open a can of soup instead. And I think they sent me a rutabaga instead of a beet last week. But I have been eating most of the fruits and vegetables before they turn slimy, and I’m content to continue the service.

My best discovery so far was how tasty snow peas can be. My roommate has a vegetable steamer and showed me how to cook the snow peas with it. They made for a crunchy snack that I know I would never have made otherwise. Broccoli and cauliflower definitely taste better chopped up fresh instead of defrosted from the frozen foods section. And I’ve eaten a lot more salads since they’ve showered me in baby spinach and radicchio.

Every week, I get a chance to customize my order, but I have avoided scrolling too far down the page because that is where the extra products lay. There are pastries and butters and all sorts of tasty items, but I took my hand off the mouse before exploring too far because I knew no good would come of it. However, I recently learned that Dillman Farm sells pumpkin butter through the site, and I have allowed myself to purchase a jar. I had never heard of pumpkin butter before this winter, but then I received a jar in a gift basket from a family member. I spread it on some bread and fell in love, as if it were the first time I’d eaten ice cream. Mmmmm, it’s like pumpkin pie in a jar. Perhaps this is how those Europeans feel about Nutella. I am eagerly awaiting my next delivery and whatever vegetable surprises lay ahead!

PS – I know I have not written about Beck week three, yet. Teach, can I have an extension on my paper? Thanks!

Patsy • February 26, 2010 at 10:49 am

I used to have organic fruit and veg delivered to my door. Then I moved house and was no longer in the delivery area… :(

One of the things I loved about it best was the element of surprise on opening the box – you never knew quite what you’d get until it was delivered! Often you’d be forced to try veg you’d never normally consider, which was a great thing in my case as I’m not an adventurous cook! I’d have to turn to google for ‘how do I cook…’ advice!

Aline • February 26, 2010 at 10:52 am

Mmmm, Nutella.

After reading your original post on the farm fresh delivery, I found a place in Chicago that offered it and ordered it for a few wees but I was never able to finish all the food and since I love trying new recipes whenever I see them on one of the many food blogs I read I didn’t like how I was forced to cook around the veggies I received.
Also, I realized I hate most root vegetables and every delivery ended up being 50% root veggies.

So for now I decided to stop but I might start again in May when there is going to be more produce I like.

Weeze • February 26, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Snow peas are good raw also.

Hunter • February 26, 2010 at 12:50 pm

You know, I tried the co-op vegetable thing and it worked great (no home delivery though). They basically let you select from a sheet of fruits and veggies and you got whatever was in season. Unfortunately, even with ordering the 1/2 bushel, several veggies still went bad~even after salad after salad after salad… And, I’d never seen a kohlrabi before; it kind of scared me. Hooray for google or I might still be looking for the little aliens. I love the idea of supporting our farmers. But, like you, not only veggies were offered. They had a killer array of cookies and breads I just couldn’t steer clear of.

=^..^=

sherijung • February 26, 2010 at 1:21 pm

When I first got my CSA share I was also surprised at how much better fresh and ripe veggies taste than their frozen or grocery store cousins. I never thought I’d say ‘yummy’ about broccoli!

The biggest down side is all the cleaning and cutting required, I can see how it can seem like too much trouble for a meal for one person. I still have a hard time using all the greens that my CSA sends, even for a whole family, it’s just a lot of preparation for a food that we’re not all that wild about. I will just have to start experimenting with green smoothies I guess.

As a wife and mother, it is also very rewarding to prepare an extremely healthy meal and watch my family enjoy eating it. So different from the pre-packaged high sodium crap my mother fed us growing up (she didn’t know any better).

Dee • February 26, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Your past posts about farm delivery inspired me to try it out in my area. Got my first box delivered a couple of weeks ago, and it has definitely improved and added variety to my veggie intake. So glad you shared!

Dee • February 26, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Try to find one that allows you to customize the items delivered. Mine does that and I take advantage.

ticey • February 26, 2010 at 2:09 pm

bok choy doesn’t need to just be in a stir fry~~i like to lightly sautee or steam it until barely willted and add a dash of salt and a dash of lemon pepper.

Jean • February 26, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Get some of Debbie Meyer’s green bags the next time you’re at the grocery or at Bed Bath & Beyond. When I did my 10-day raw vegan detox w/Gena of choosingraw.com, I cut up all of my veggies at the beginning of the 10 days & put them in the green bags. They were good for the 10 days and even longer. After 14 days I still had strawberries that were good for eating.

Amelia • February 26, 2010 at 11:12 pm

I love having farm fresh veggies delivered and also love the surprise. One of my favorite things to cook and eat are root fries. I use potatoes, beets, rutabagas (they’re great!), sweet potatoes, carrots, etc. and cut them into wedges (the slower to cook, the smaller the wedge). Drizzle with olive oil and sea salt and bake on a cookie sheet or baking pan at 400 for about 30 minutes.

Jen • March 1, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I am a fan of Trader Joe’s pumpkin butter. I think it’s only sold in the fall though. :(

Esmeralda M Rupp-Spangle • March 2, 2010 at 5:50 pm

We have one of these services in my city. It’s called http://organicstoyou.org/ and I have no doubt that it’s superextraawesome. I would love to sign up, but for me- and many like me- the xost is prohibitive. It’s just too damned expensive to eat like an earth concious healthy person. But I do LOVE organic produce. If you’ve ever had a “real” strawberry, or fig, or apple, or whatever- you’ll know what I mean.
So I was having quite the dilemma.
But then I realized- although I live in the inner city with a tiny grubby yard that’s filled with inhospitable soil, I can still grow vegetables in containers!
So I’ve set about trying my hand at doing it my owndamnself. Even if you’re in an apartment you can grow a few container veggies, and a couple times a year you’ll be suddenly very grateful that you watered that damn tomato every day.

My garden got a big makeover this weekend, and I’m WAY excited about the FREE fresh veggies that will be slowly drifting my way this summer and fall.

Maybe it’s something you could try. It’s cathartic, fragrant, delicious, and cheap. Especially if you just have a pot of basil or some chives or something.

If, Like Renee Zellweger, You're Female and Have a Face and Body, Listen Up - NYTimes.com

In Minnesota, Abandoned Wheelchairs Are Just Part Of The Landscape : Shots - Health News : NPR
I've seen abandoned shopping carts before, but never wheelchairs.