Reader recipe request: Bok choy and ginger root

Last week Farm Fresh Delivery dropped off a crate of fruits and veggies at my door, as I have paid them to do. Included among the familiar apples, pears and mangos were these items:

Ginger root and bok choy

At first glance they appeared to be a mutant strain of lettuce and a set of reindeer antlers. However, I have since determined that they are bok choy and ginger root. I figured this out after eliminating everything else on the invoice that I could identify.

Ginger root and bok choy

I have absolutely no idea how to cook bok choy or ginger root. Actually, I’ve seen ginger root in the grocery store and considered buying it for my old Lick the Produce series, but decided it look far too funky for me to attempt cooking with it. Am I supposed to slice it? Grate it to get ground ginger? Tape it to a headband, paint my nose read, and call myself Rudolph? I have no clue, but now I have some in the house, so I’d better do something with it!

After some Googling, I’m leaning towards trying this recipe for Balsamic Vinger and Ginger Bok Choy, but I thought I’d also solicit my readers for recipes. Anyone got some hints or clues as to what I should do with this stuff? Thanks!

RG • January 21, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I put grated ginger (use a zester or chop finely) in my tea every day. Good for everything. Also works in chinese stir-fry dishes, squash soup… it’s an aromatic, which i think means it has a lot of flavor, use sparingly. Basically anywhere you might put onion and garlic, ginger would go well also.

Bok choy is interesting – it’s a good cold weather lettuce. It’s also the vegetable of the week on whfoods.com (I have no association with the site but I like his recipes and view of the food universe in general)

RG • January 21, 2010 at 1:59 pm

PS – when I wrote ‘good for everything’ i meant that it has a lot of health benefits, including you-know-what. But especially in winter, good for throats.

Emily • January 21, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Ground ginger is yummy in curries!

My dad just sautés bok choy with a bit of butter…it’s pretty good too.

Sarah • January 21, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Whatever you do – do NOT eat a chunk of ginger!!! You will regret it!

Skin a chunk, grate it or mince it, and then use it in a stir fry. There is a million and one ways to cook with ginger but that is the easiest. For a 3-4 serving stir fry I would probably add 1 tbsp of minced ginger and that would add A LOT of flavour. BF says the most string spice I cook with is ginger. If added in moderation it just has a fresh taste, but if you add a lot it will add heat!

Sarah • January 21, 2010 at 2:01 pm

@Sarah – “string” = “strong”

Danielle • January 21, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Ginger is delicious – and as noted above – it’s a very strong flavour, so use sparingly. You’ve got enough there to last a long time.

On the plus side, it freezes well – no need to do anything, just throw it in the freezer. When you need some, just peel the part you want to grate with a knife or peeler.

lulu • January 21, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Both are good in stir fries, though go easy with the ginger (chopped finely).

That’s my problem with vegetable boxes: their choice, not mine.

Lauren @ Eater not a runner • January 21, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I made this recipe recently that has bok choy and ginger and was DELICIOUS!

Jessica Flemming • January 21, 2010 at 2:17 pm

You need to peel the ginger and then grate it or finely chop it and as people have said, a little goes a long way so you will have a lot left over. I think I remember that Rachael Ray keeps the rest in a baggie in the freezer for the next time she needs it. We use it in salad dressing, stir fry, and marinades.

Bok choy, I think is best sauteed or grilled (can use a grill pan). I tried to steam it once and it just got very slimy. There is a restaurant here in San Francisco called Pacific Catch that uses baby Bok Choy in their teriyaki salmon rice bowl. It is grilled and DELICIOUS! crunchy and a little sweet.

Tish • January 21, 2010 at 2:18 pm

That’s a lot of ginger, so if you decide against the reindeer option, you can slip it in a ziplock and freeze it for later. You can grate what you need right off the frozen piece w/o defrosting. I like the taste of ginger. One of my go-to favorite recipes is

Soy Lemon Chicken.

5 chicken thighs, with bone, without skin
1/4 c lemon juice
1 lemon (with peel) sliced in thin pieces
1/4 c low sodium soy sauce
shake of garlic powder
1/2 tsp grated ginger root
5 packets Splenda (or 2 T sugar)

Bake the chicken thighs in a 350 oven
After the thighs are in the oven, put the remaining ingredients in a saucepan, stir and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 3 minutes to reduce sauce.
Pour sauce over chicken.
Continue baking for a total of about 60 minutes, turning chicken two or three times.

This is great over brown rice. The lemon slices are my favorite part.

Tina Marie • January 21, 2010 at 2:19 pm

That’s a lot of ginger to use up. If you don’t find enough recipes to use it all, it freezes well.

Or you can just make ginger ale with it:

Jenny O. • January 21, 2010 at 2:22 pm

This recipe from Real Simple has become a family fave. Uses bok choy and ginger and even the kids like it. Super easy, but SUPER flavorful.

DanaDanger • January 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Here’s an idea from the lovely Vegan Yum-Yum. You could swap out the tofu for chicken if tofu’s not your thing.

I like Tina Marie’s ginger ale idea too—sounds like fun!—and I’m quite fond of Real Simple, so Jenny O. gets a +1 from me. :)

Rahim • January 21, 2010 at 2:33 pm

I love ginger! I put it in my fruit blends for a little kick. I also make tea by washing off about 5 pieces and just boiling them in water. This works great for chest congestion.

Jen • January 21, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I use grated ginger in stir-fries and I know bok choy is used in Asian cooking. I just did a search at this site called BigOven that lets you put in the ingredients you have and get a bunch of recipe suggestions. This one looks like something I would make, though maybe with brown rice instead of white:

I have never tried bok choy but this recipe makes me want to.

Vicki • January 21, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Just remember to peel (slice off the skin) of the ginger before using it in anything!! It would make great as an ingredient in an asian style salad dressing nicely grated.. It’s funny you got these two ingredients, I saw them mentioned in Gwenyth Paltrow’s newsletter (GOOP) this morning: http://goop.com/newsletter/66/en/, even a little video for it on youtube :)

Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit • January 21, 2010 at 2:35 pm

With the ginger you should peel it first and then you can grate it or chop it and use it in salad dressings or stir frys. I also like to mix soy sauce, ginger and a little stevia to make a marinade for salmon. Yum!

I agree with Sarah though – DON’T EAT A CHUNK PLAIN. It’s WAAAY too intense!

Mymsie • January 21, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Ginger is good for you and delicious, especially in stir fry. It will change your palate! Just peel off the yucky skin and use a grater to add a tablespoon or so to your next stir fry. You can slice it but it’s very strong and therefore not pleasant to bite on a piece of it. Good recipe on my blog: http://mymsie.wordpress.com/2009/04/28/beware/ (If I do say so myself) ;)

Mymsie • January 21, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Forgot to mention a tip I got from the annoying Rachael Ray. I don’t use ginger a lot so when I buy a nub of it and use some, the rest often goes to waste. Rachael suggests keeping the peeled finger of Ginger in the freezer and grating it right into dishes when you need it.

Michelle • January 21, 2010 at 2:40 pm

It’s too bad it didn’t show up while you were still unwell from your flu shot, it’s supposed to be good for nausea.

I like bok choy with other veggies stir fried over rice. My favorite ginger containing recipe is for Tom Ka Gai (which is thai chicken and coconut milk soup) but you need a bunch of other special ingredients to make it.

Hope you find something really tasty to make.

Debbi S. • January 21, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I would just use both in stir fry. A friend gave me HER bok choy from a produce box like yours and I think I made something similar to your balsamic vinegar bok choy recipe and I wasn’t impressed. I determined that if I ever had it again, I would just stick it in stir fry and get the health benefits but that’s about it. It was pretty bland if I recall. I use ginger in a lot of things. I am lazy and just buy the jar of minced ginger though. My most common use for ginger would be my broccoli slaw teriyaki wraps that are on my blog. We make those weekly here. Hey, you probably could make those wraps and stick some shredded bok choy in there too. They are delicious!! Have fun with the new veggies!

Lynn • January 21, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I use two or three slices of ginger in my cranberry sauce (after peeling). If something is going to cook for awhile, I think just throwing in a few slices is enough, without grating or chopping. Then remove before eating, like a bay leaf. Fresh is so much better than powdered!

Michelle • January 21, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I always keep ginger in the freezer for stir-fries and many other Asian and African recipes. Technically you’re supposed to peel it, but I usually just grate it with the skin on, and I’ve never noticed a bad flavor or texture. Bok choy is great in stir-fry and Asian soups.

Dr. Kal • January 21, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Use Supercook, the recipe search engine: http://www.supercook.com/

“Open your fridge and pantry, type the ingredients you have into the site’s search bar and stand back. Supercook will look through its database of 300,000-plus recipes and spit out the ones that match.” – Adam Fisher, TIME Magazine

Kristin • January 21, 2010 at 3:00 pm

My suggestion is to stir-fry the bok choy in some butter or olive oil. Do the stems for about 5-8 minutes, then add in the leaves (they don’t take as long). I like them with just a little salt as a side dish for “Asian night” at our house, but they’d be good stir-fried with other veggies, too, I’m sure.

That is a LOT of ginger. I’d follow the suggestion of peeling them and freezing them for when you need a couple of grates.

Carbzilla • January 21, 2010 at 3:01 pm

You’re sooo lucky!

We got through a hunk of ginger once a week – I put it through the juiceer in my carrot juice and also in my morning smoothies (though even the Vitamix can’t chew through it completely. PS It doesn’t compost). I would grate it really fine if using in a stir fry as it is strong!

I LOVE bok choy and grew up on it. The key is to rinse it really well as the part close to the bottoms can collect dirt, like leeks. It takes no time to steam in, say, a rice cooker. It has a very mild flavor, but it’s a great holder of sauce.

MB • January 21, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I’m not a good cook so I wouldn’t know what to do with that stuff. I’ve only had bok choy at the Chinese food restaurants and use ginger sause for my scallion pancakes. I’m looking forward to hearing what you do with this stuff. Good luck!

Julie • January 21, 2010 at 3:20 pm

ginger is great in water – I peel it, slice it into rounds and put a few pieces in a mug with hot water. Supposedly it is good for an upset stomach.

Aline • January 21, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Stir-fry is definitely the way to go.

I have also heard about another use for ginger I want to try – ginger milk. Cut off a one in piece of ginger, peel it, put it in a mug filled with either sweetened soy milk or milk with a bit of sugar in it and simmer it for a few minutes.

Ginger is really healthy – good for the immune system and great for intestinal problems.

rlevine • January 21, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Go to Epicurious, and you’ll find lots of options for either or both ingredients, For starters, try this one:
Shanghai Bok Choy with Ginger
1 (2-inch) piece ginger, peeled
3/4 lb Shanghai bok choy or other baby bok choy (5 to 8 heads)
1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine (preferably Shaoxing) or medium-dry Sherry
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
Cut half of ginger into very fine matchsticks (less than 1/8 inch thick; about 1 tablespoon) and reserve. Grate remaining ginger and squeeze pulp with your fingers to yield 1 teaspoon liquid, then discard pulp.

Remove any bruised or withered outer leaves from bok choy. Trim 1/8 inch from bottom of each bok choy, then cut each head into quarters. Wash bok choy in several changes of cold water and dry in a colander or salad spinner until dry to the touch.

Whisk together ginger juice, chicken broth, rice wine, soy sauce, cornstarch, salt, and sugar in a small bowl until cornstarch is dissolved.

Heat wok over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 to 2 seconds of contact. Pour oil down side of wok, then swirl oil, tilting wok to coat sides. Add ginger matchsticks and stir-fry 5 seconds. Add bok choy and stir-fry until leaves are bright green and just limp, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir broth mixture, then pour into wok and stir-fry until vegetables are crisp-tender and sauce is slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and drizzle with sesame oil, then stir to coat.

jennifer rose • January 21, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Ginger is the new garlic. Once you start using it, you’ll wonder how you survived those pre-garlic days. Its digestive properties are incredible.

You’ve received some great advice already. It’s a great addition to perk up chicken soup and as a tea.

Erin • January 21, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I actually just made this the other night and it was delicious:

Also – I am in the process of re-reading your book, and am enjoying it even more the second time! So inspiring!

Lainey • January 21, 2010 at 4:28 pm

There’s a recipe in Eat, Shrink and Be Merry (the cookbook) for chicken…that was the only time I’ve used ginger. I remember it smelling amazing. The recipe is called “Sticky Chicky.”

Found it: http://www.eatshrinkandbemerry.com/user_files/images/File/StickyChicky.pdf

I highly recommend that you significantly cut the amount of chili powder that they say to use.

Caroline • January 21, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Bok Choy is great chopped and steamed with a little chicken broth if you want something simple!

Meagan • January 21, 2010 at 4:52 pm

@Vicki – I was about to suggest the same. It looks awesome.

Gingersnapper • January 21, 2010 at 4:55 pm

So many good recipes!

I don’t think it’s necessary to peel the ginger; I’ve never done so. I wash mine, dry it with a paper towel, and put it in a double baggie in the freezer, as it will go bad fairly quickly in the fridge. Then I just grate it for use as I go, it’s easy to grate while frozen.

I use it in marinades for meats or fish and as an ingredient in salad dressings or soup. As someone else mentioned, I would compare it to garlic – in the way it’s used, not in flavor.

Bethany • January 21, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Ginger, like cilantro is one of those flavors that you either love or hate. I love it, but those who don’t often say it tastes like soap. It’s super rich in flavor and very very good for you (anti-oxidant etc).

Here is my suggestion:
-Make Ginger flavored simple syrup for cocktails or make ginger infused vodka; make a stir-fry w/bok choy & veggies; invite friends over for an asian themed dinner party

OR

-add fresh grated ginger to gingerbread (cakey version), pancakes, waffles or other baked goods

Jolie • January 21, 2010 at 5:25 pm

A recipe I got from an actual Asian person:

Clean and chop stalks into bite-size sections. Get a large pot, add a couple tablespoons of oil (olive oil to sesame oil for added flavor) heat the oil then add the bok choy, fry until over medium until tender (soft, but still has a bit on crunch). Add rooster sauce to taste.

http://www.huyfong.com makes the rooster sauce.

Maureen • January 21, 2010 at 5:32 pm

You can freeze the ginger root in a ziploc bag if you can’t use it before it goes bad. I grate mine straight from the freezer when I need it for a recipe. Great to add to soy sauce and minced garlic for an asian marinade for chicken or pork tenderloin.

KC • January 21, 2010 at 5:39 pm

A tip about ginger… it’s very woody and the skin is very thin. The easiest way to peel it (the skin is inedible) is to scrape the skin off with the side of a spoon. I made a simple dipping sauce for dim sum (chinese dumplings, egg rolls, etc.) which is grated ginger, a drop of toasted sesame oil, a small spoonful of garlic chili paste, soy sauce and rice vinegar… also use as salad dressing for cabbage, chicken and scallion salad.

boy choy is delicious.. i say the simpler the better, saute it in a little vegetable oil (or, if you have some, a tiny bit of bacon fat) with a pressed garlic clove, a little red pepper flakes, and enjoy,

Caro • January 21, 2010 at 6:19 pm

I also love love love ginger and put it in almost anything. As folks have said, if you put onion or garlic there, ginger usually works out okay. I like to put some in any sort of tomato based sauce/soup to give it a little zing. Otherwise, everyone else covered the things I wanted to say!

Now I’m hungry!

Becky • January 21, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Some type of stir-fry all the way! I love stir-fry bok choy!

Kyle • January 21, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Ginger can and SHOULD go on everything. Grate it up and put it on chicken, meet, potatoes, everything. YUUUM!

Rachel • January 21, 2010 at 8:40 pm

My best friend’s mom swears by ginger root tea for nausea and motion sickness.

Elizabeth • January 21, 2010 at 10:19 pm

This actually showed up on another blog I read today:

Suze • January 21, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Lots of people have mentioned ginger in stir fries, but it is often an essential ingredient for South Asian curries as well. It’s often added, either julienned or finely diced, near the end of cooking with fresh chilli and fresh coriander leaves. Some recipes also add it at the start with the garlic after the onions are browned.

I also like to add a slice, unpeeled, to tea. Apparently ginger and fenugreek is a good tea when suffering from sinus infections/headaches as it can help clear then out. I just use a few dried fenugreek seeds with the slice of ginger in any kind of tea.

I also use it when poaching chicken breasts, just throw a couple of slices in the poaching water with some soy sauce.

I rarely bother to peel it, especially if I am using it grated either fresh or straight from the freezer. No one, including me, has ever noticed the difference.

Osa Morena • January 22, 2010 at 12:05 am

You can also use the bok choy anywhere you would use cabbage, such as a slaw. And I like it in chicken/egg drop soup. But my favorite is steamed and topped with a little butter or sesame oil or olive oil, like someone (Kristen?) said.

Sue Jones • January 22, 2010 at 1:52 am

Slice a really thin piece of ginger and put it on top of a chunk of dark chocolate…fantastic!

Cyndy • January 22, 2010 at 2:34 am

It looks like you’ll have a lot of fresh ginger left over. It’s a really good way to give a different taste to your water. It’s very subtle but just put several peeled slices in your water pitcher with some mint leaves and it’s absolutely refreshing after coming home from the gym!

vivi • January 22, 2010 at 3:49 am

Pumpkin soup with grated ginger. Put boiled pumpkin and boiled tomatoes in the blender. May be also one boiled apple too. Add 1/2 cup of sour cream and grated ginger. Salt and pepper. The more ginger, the hotter it’ll be. Add water from the boiling until the desired degree of “liquid”.

vivi • January 22, 2010 at 3:50 am

of course I don’t mean 1/2 cup of grated ginger!!! 1/2 cup of sour cream and a little bit of grated ginger.

Denise • January 22, 2010 at 8:07 am

ginger/peach/orange smoothie

grate about a tablespoon of ginger into a blender, add the flesh of one peach, one whole peeled orange and a handful of ice. Blend for the best smoothie ever.

This is my favorite smoothie. You can also add a scoop of protein powder for a great breakfast. The smoothie is icy cold with a shot of heat from the ginger. you can sweeten with some sugar substitute if you need to – depending on how ripe the fruit is. Just awesome.

Laura • January 22, 2010 at 8:07 am

Mmm – two of my fav. ingredients. I use ginger in stir-frys and with chicken. Also good with soy sauce, garlic to marinate pork tenderloin or chicken (or any meat, really).

Bok choy is great in stir-frys – but it doesn’t take long to cook – I always add it in at the end because I don’t like soggy vegetables…

have fun cooknig!

Sheryl • January 22, 2010 at 10:15 am

That is a LOT of ginger! Probably enough to use in a couple DOZEN recipes.

Bok choy, yeah, easy, just stir fry or use like any other green type of leafy thing.

Poppy K • January 22, 2010 at 10:27 am

I make a lovely ginger-soy tilapia:

2 large tilapia fillets (or similar thin white fish) – about 3/4 pound
1 jalapeno pepper (optional)
3 garlic cloves
1 inch grated ginger (1 tablespoon)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup white wine
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
Scallions, chopped for garnish
Extra cilantro, to garnish
Heat the oven to 475ºF. Pat the fish dry and season lightly with salt and pepper. Place in a glass baking dish.
Chop the pepper and garlic, and grate the ginger. Put in a small food processor with the soy sauce, white wine, sesame oil, and cilantro. Whir until blended. Pour the sauce over the fish, rubbing it in a little. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily and is cooked through. It will be very moist and gelatinous, still.
Serve immediately over brown rice, garnished with scallions and cilantro.

victoria • January 22, 2010 at 10:45 am

I don’t have anything to add to the delicious recipes above, but just wanted to ask you to let us know how it turned out for you. (I hope you like the taste of stir-fried ginger — at first it seemed odd to me, but now it’s one of my favorites).

Amy • January 22, 2010 at 11:29 am

I think quite a few people have mentioned the freezer tip.

what I really like ginger in is Indian lentils. I have a recipe which cooks lentils with spices (including grated ginger) and spinach. So healthy and so so good!
Sorry I don’t have the recipe typed up but if this sounds interesting to you email me and I’ll send it to you.

JackieC • January 22, 2010 at 11:52 am

First time posting – love the blog! :D

I love ginger & bok choy. Then again, I kinda grew up with them, being Chinese and my mom tends to use both bok choy & ginger a lot.

Freezing the ginger is a good tip. I like my ginger in tea, especially when I’m sick or my stomach acts up.

I have to admit that I tend to use baby bok choy instead of the “regular” bok choy. The baby variety is smaller (duh) & more tender. Also, much quicker to cook & doesn’t really require cutting up. I like to eat them steamed with oyster sauce on top (check the Oriental aisle at your local supermarket).

Suep • January 22, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Definitely peel the ginger before freezing the chunks. Then just grate into your dish as needed. A microplane is the way to go to grate ginger.

Here’s a great recipe

Moo Shu Beef Lettuce Cups

1 spray(s) cooking spray
1 pound(s) uncooked lean ground beef (with 7% fat)
1 cup(s) onion(s)
2 tbsp ginger root
2 clove(s) garlic clove(s)
2 cup(s) bok choy
1 medium sweet red pepper(s)
2 cup(s) mushroom(s)
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
8 leaf bibb lettuce (or more!)

Coat a large nonstick skillet w/cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat.
Add beef, sliced onion, finely minced ginger and minced garlic; cook until beef is
browned and onion is soft 5-7 minutes.
Add bok choy, pepper, mushrooms and soy sauce; cook, stirring occasionally until
bok choy is wilted and pepper is tender-crisp about 3-5 minutes.
Spoon 1/2 cup of beef mixture into each lettuce leaf. 2 filled leaves per person.
Serve w/extra soy sauce if desired.
*NOTE: IT may be helpful to add 1-2 tsp. of cornstarch to the recipe, to thicken sauce.

Julie • January 22, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Really easy salad dressing:

Whisk together about 2 Tbs. of soy sauce, the juice of half an orange, 1 clove of minced garlic, 1-2 tsps. of minced ginger, a little bit of honey, and some olive oil. Add a few red pepper flakes for heat if you like.

Carole • January 22, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Don’t store the ginger in the fridge, and by all means do NOT put it in plastic on your kitchen counter or it will mold fast. I just store mine naked on the counter; the cut end will self-heal and then you can just cut that little end off when you are ready to eat more.

Bok Choy and ginger go well in a stir fry with green onions, bamboo shoots, and sauce.

For the sauce, use 1 or 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 Tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp or more fresh ground black pepper (that’s a key flavor along w/ the bamboo shoots), and about a teaspoon of corn starch dissolved in about a Tablespoon of cold chicken broth or stock.

Stir fry the green onions (lots) with about an inch or two of ginger, depending on how much you love ginger, then add the bamboo shoots and the chopped up (bite size) boy choy, then add the sauce and make sure it cooks just barely enough to boil and “set” the corn starch to thicken, then turn the heat off right away and serve.

Carole • January 22, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Oh, P.S., I tend to like cutting my ginger in 1/2 to 1 inch long really, really thin strips, but if you are a ginger newbie and find it too strong, mince it really fine instead — although then you will find it tends to brown too fast, in which case, turn the heat down a touch.

Denise • January 22, 2010 at 6:55 pm

The CSA I belong to has a page of recipes that I turn to in a situation like this (or when they gave me fennel over the summer) – http://www.bewiseranch.com/recipes.htm

Quix • January 22, 2010 at 7:07 pm

One of my iguana’s favorite foods is bok choy. Trust the lizard’s taste, hehe. Dice about a tablespoon of ginger up, and throw it in a wok with sesame oil, a few cloves of diced garlic, and some soy sauce. Add bok choy and just about any other veggies you like (I usually do broccoli, carrots, celery, bok choy, baby corn, water chestnuts, and bamboo shots).

Caroline V • January 22, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Best garlic tip: peel it using the side of the spoon. Veggie peeler or knife are too akward, the spoon is magical.

I vote for stir-fry, best way to eat bok choy.

Heather • January 22, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I love this recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/teriyaki-sauce-recipe/index.html that includes fresh ginger for Teriyaki Sauce from the food network, you can stir fry anything with it. Tyler Florence also has a stir fry recipe using bok choy and you can use the freshly whipped up teriyaki sauce in it.

Carole • January 23, 2010 at 12:10 am

P.P.S., I can’t believe I forgot the Rice Wine in my recipe. I thought I had it memorized, but when I got home from work I checked the recipe and there’s actually no soy sauce in it — instead, there’s a tablespoon of rice wine.

The original recipe is for mustard greens which are best, but it’s also good with baby bok choy. I haven’t tried it with the bigger bok choy. Being Chinese, my father always favored the baby bok choy.

Sheila O • January 23, 2010 at 9:55 am

I suppose I will be branded a heretic writing to Pasta Queen with this advise – but Ginger Cookies. Check out Alton Brown’s recipe. YUM

Lyn • January 23, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I have two nice boik choy recipes linked on the sidebar of my blog’s front page. The bok choy with cashews recipe is GREAT.

As for ginger root, it keeps for a long time in the fridge. I use it in chicken soups. I take a few slices, simmer it in the soup (I do homemade, but if you have a cold and want to simmer it in premade soup, go for it) and then fish out the slices (to pungent to eat). Its good for you.

I also make ginger tea by putting a slice or two in boiling water, steeping a bit, and adding honey. Great for a cold or for digestion.

Katie • January 23, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Here’s a recipe I just used recently that has both of these ingredients. Yummy! http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/beef-bok-choy-stir-fry-00000000020546/

There’s nothing like the smell of fresh ginger. You can store it in your freezer too, so while it looks like you didn’t get very much, it’s actually going to last a long time!

Rebecca • January 25, 2010 at 9:54 am

I have no clue about the bok choy but slice that ginger up and throw it in a stir fry! I bet the bok choy would work in that as well. Make some (brown) rice and then saute on high heat whatever you want: chicken, broccolu, bell peppers, carrots, ginger, bok choy. Throw on some soy sauce and viola. Healthy and delicious.

Pam • August 3, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I’m laughing out loud (LOL-ing) at work, and hoping you post a picture of yourself with the ginger root taped to the headband and your nose painted red. You are great! Thanks for making me laugh!

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine