But where is the Snuggie for cats?

I just about burst out laughing when I saw boxes of this product stacked up at the entrance of Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Snuggie for dogs

It’s the Snuggie for dogs! Hopefully you are already aware of the Snuggie, one of the most popular infomercial products of all time. I can just imagine the marketing team sitting around the conference room brainstorming. “How can we build on the success of the Snuggie? I know! The Snuggie for dogs!”

I particularly like how the text on the box says “Keeps you warm and your paws free!” as if it is directly addressing the dog, who is presumably reading the box by your side at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I hope the dog has got a wallet too.

That Kind of Girl • January 19, 2010 at 3:52 pm

When I first saw these, I thought they were hilarious. Then I came home for Christmas and my parents’ dogs were actually wearing them. Shudder.

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother • January 19, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Too much!

Glenda • January 19, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Ha! We saw those at PetSmart over the weekend. Not only would our dogs sulk & hide if we put those on them, but they’d manage to chew them right off ;-).

Amy • January 19, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I have to admit, when my collie had her belly shaved at the vet and then it was 0 degrees out, I wished she had a Snuggie! They don’t make ‘em big enough. Of course, I think that fleece would zap the poor dog from static…

G.G. • January 19, 2010 at 5:34 pm

My big dog would totally buy one of those. Thank god I only pay her with dog treats and affection.

Dina • January 19, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Bought one for a miniature dachshund at Christmas…not ashamed to admit it! It was pink, and got a good chuckle when its recipient (or its owner…) opened it.

Lainey • January 19, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Ha ha! Too funny!

Maybe the dogs need their paws free to read the paper…

I honestly don’t get the success of the snuggie for humans (really guys? why don’t you just put your robe on backwards and don’t tie it closed?), never mind dogs.

The Merry • January 19, 2010 at 7:57 pm

@Amy – A friend gave one of these (a large) to my poor suffering German Shepherd. It kinda fits. Kinda sorta.
A lot better than watching your dog suffer :(

O benevolent dictator? Can I throw in a link to a post on my blog? It has a picture of said snuggie:

(And I promise, it’s safe for work. And home.)

Cindy • January 19, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I saw one of these right before Christmas and almost bought it…not for an actual doggie–I don’t have one–but for the laugh-out-loud appeal. I already feel sorry for the dogs that must put up with the desires of loopy owners who must see their pooches clothed in silly costumes, etc., but the dogs that must wear the Snuggie…God love ‘em–and help ‘em.

kendra • January 19, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I received a Snuggie for Dogs for Christmas. It is a little big and the velcro goes down the back, so when worn by my pup Mister it appears to be a hospital gown. And Mister looks a little like he’s worried he’s about to be operated on.

Amy is A.D.D. • January 19, 2010 at 9:15 pm

My pug LOVES her snuggie!!!! She is naturally cold and always wants under the blankets, but now the snuggie keeps her warm. We get pointed at and laughed at when I take her outside in it. People are just jealous that she is so fabulous!

Kat • January 20, 2010 at 1:24 am

I’m such a crazy cat lady that I would totally buy one of those for my cat if it came in ‘cat size’.

Of course, she’d wear it for all of ten seconds and then tear it off and play with the box more than the actual snuggie itself.

Carole • January 20, 2010 at 10:09 am

I’m ashamed to admit I bought one of these for my cat. Yes, they do fit cats. All dog outfits fit cats, especially the cute pink ones from Target! *snicker* Just buy the small or medium size depending on the outfit and the size of your cat.

@Kat is right though, cats will only wear an outfit for a few minutes (for the sake of the picture), and then they want out of it.

duddes02 • January 20, 2010 at 10:28 am

Living in NYC -nothing surprises me. The dogs here are their owners pride and joy. BF and I were walking down the street in the rain and we saw a teeny tiny dog and its owner exiting a building. The dog was wearing a yellow RAINCOAT!! The hood was even tied around his neck. It was so funny we just stopped and pointed and luaghed. The owner looks at the dog fondly and said to us “He doens’t like this coat” Really? The dog didn’t like wearing a raincoat?

TOWR • January 20, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I just cannot get behind this Snuggie thing, for people or animals. Am I the only one who thinks they look ridiculous?!

Quix • January 20, 2010 at 6:33 pm

These were at every white elephant party I went to this year. But I do have to say, I LOVE my people sized leopard print snuggie. But we don’t actually have working central heat so I just love ANYTHING warm. ;)

Rahim • January 20, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Yeah the snuggies are funny enough for humans. I think a cat would shred a snuggie into ribbons if you tried to put one on it.

betty • January 20, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I know you hate suggestions on how to get rid of headaches, but have you tried having a positive attitude? It seems to me that you bitch and moan about it so much that you’re bound to feel like shit.

The Merry • January 21, 2010 at 2:06 am

@betty – Of course!

PastaQueen, Betty has clearly found The Secret! Well, let the bells ring out and the marching band play and all the choirs in all the land sing out in more-or-less harmony. (Now that you’ve seen the light, all that cacophony won’t be a problem.)

By the way, have you considered the possibility that blogging itself might be the cause of your headache? I mean, it’s not as if you had a headache before you starting blogging. (Good Lord, woman, how much more causality do you need?)

It's Me • January 21, 2010 at 2:47 am

That’s great. Have to have those paws free to use the remote, you know…

Meg • January 21, 2010 at 10:11 am

Those poor poor dogs. They look so very thrilled to be wearing a snuggie. Now they too can read a book and change the channel without the confounding effects of having their blanket fall away from their shoulders!

Mom • January 21, 2010 at 11:40 am

@betty – Ah, but you have never spent any time with Jennette. If you had you would know that she does not complain about the constant physical pain that she has experienced for almost 2 years. Only those of us close to her can pick up on the extremely subtle clues that she is experiencing any discomfort. Percentage wise she spends very little time complaining about the headache and has always had a positive attitude. Something positive that you could do would be to do a little research on chronic pain and its effects on individuals and their families who are dealing with its related issues. All of this is written with a smile and a positive attitude beyond belief because it is inspired by someone with an extremely positive attitude named Jennette Fulda.

Mom • January 21, 2010 at 11:41 am

Merry, wonderful response. Thank you for you insights! Peace and all good things, Love ya, Warm positive vibs coming right back at ya.

eggy wegg • January 22, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Hey Betty,

You’re a dribbly turd.

Hugs!

Susan C • January 23, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I have to admit I got one for my very cold Maltese. And he loved it. Then the groomer told me that he would mat if I let him wear it all the time. I thought it through and Pokey hates being groomed more than he loves his Snuggy so bye bye Snuggy. : ) He’s currently curled up in a little ball in his blankies next to the space heater. The other puppy is “sunning” himself directly in front of the space heater. He turns over every now and then, we’re assuming to prevent overcooking on one side!

psychsarah • January 24, 2010 at 10:55 am

@That Kind of Girl – I bought one for my MIL’s dog (because she bought me and my SIL snuggies for our birthdays) and when they got to my house, their dog was wearing one that my SIL bought them. We will be laughing about this for years!

Also-have you seen the back of the box-there are dogs playing backgammon-someone must be, as the British say, “taking a piss” with this product. So absurd!

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.

The Man Who Smuggles Trader Joe’s into Canada