What’s the current exchange rate for Chocolate Chip cookies?

Boot Tracks

Thank you for all your cookie suggestions. I was tempted to try all of them, but eventually settled on making Boot Tracks because I got to use my waffle iron. I love kitchen gadgets, and the waffle iron is rarely used for anything other than waffles, so I thought I’d give it some quality time.

The Boot Tracks came out well, but I wouldn’t call them cookies. They were essentially brownies cooked in a waffle iron. I felt like I got snookered. However, if in the future you are ever making brownies and simply cannot wait 20 minutes for them to bake in the oven, let it be known that you can pull out your waffle iron or George Foreman grill and cook them in two minutes or less. If any of you think of trying this recipe, please, please, please remember to grease the waffle iron before cooking. Otherwise you’ll be scraping boot tracks off your waffle iron like mud off of a boot.

Cookie exchange

There were lots of lovely cookies at the exchange. One of the cutest treats were the reindeer cookies, a ginger spice cookie decorated with broken pretzels and some dollops of frosting.

Reindeer cookies

At the end of the party, we divided up the cookies among us, but only one person was smart enough to bring a tin with her for this purpose. The rest of us were shoving cookies into the hostess’s ziplock bags and hoping the peppermint cream cheese frosting didn’t smear over everything. I gave my cookies away, knowing I could not be trusted to have them in my apartment. I hope I get through the rest of the holidays so successfully!

Shanna • December 14, 2009 at 10:21 am

So, since the Boot Tracks are brownies in a waffle maker, does that mean the recipe is the same??!! That sounds wonderful!!

Glad you had a good time! And glad to hear you didnt torture yourself by bringing home all of the delicious looking cookies!! That is more will power than I have at the moment!

Quix • December 14, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Those brownie/cookies sound delish! I definitely covet the peppermint cream cheese frosting though – I might have been tempted to bring some of those home. Good for you!

Tiffany S. • December 14, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Congratulations on giving your cookies away! Hooray!

Laura Pugh • December 14, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I’m impressed that you were able to give the cookies away. I continue to prove to myself over and over (and over and over….), again that I can’t be trusted with any treats in my house.

I keep trying to become trustworthy, but so far, it’s not a winning battle!

PastaQueen • December 14, 2009 at 2:30 pm

@Laura Pugh – I will admit, I snacked on a few on the ride home before I could hand them off. Next time I’ll throw them in the trunk!

zoey • December 14, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Job well done! I’m impressed!

The Running Phoodie • December 14, 2009 at 7:22 pm

I’m very impressed you were able to give your goodies away (although I hope you allowed yourself to save a couple?) I would never have been able to part with such tasty treats! Especially those peppermint cupcakes- they looked killer!

Shady • December 14, 2009 at 8:31 pm

@Laura Pugh – I had to throw out a tray of brownies the other day. When I found myself tempted to dig into the garbage can I dumped a tonne of liquid dish soap on them. Than came the feeling of failure and shame. So goes the battle.

Ani • December 15, 2009 at 12:33 pm

After taking a quick look at the spread, i’m pretty convinced i’d make a nose dive for your chocolate yummies first. nom nom.

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother • December 15, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Yummy cookies!!! Kudos on doing so well, I can’t be trusted either. Here’s to a great holiday!

Lyn • December 16, 2009 at 9:24 pm

People actually *cook* brownie batter?

Pauline • December 22, 2009 at 6:01 am

Yesterday I made three trays of cookies, two of them were for my collegues at work, and one tray I saved for myself in a tin box. Or I will give them away, maybe to my grandma on Christmas. It’s hard. I don’t trust myself at all with a tin of cookies around. But when I tell myself I can have them OR give them away, in other words, when I give myself the permission to do with them whatever I like, they suddenly lose their appeal. The good thing about my cookies was that I didn’t want to try the batter. I am disgusted by the smell of butter (started when I was a child), and this batter had lots of it in it. So all I smelled was the butter and I almost gagged. But the cookies taste delicious, though.

A cookie exchange would be a real challenge for me and I really admire you for sailing through it smoothly like you did!!