Radio alert – Definitely Not the Opera

It was so windy yesterday, I thought I might see Dorothy and Toto flying around outside my window on their way to Oz. One of the nice things about freelancing is that the most dangerous part of the commute between my bedroom and my office are two cats who try to trip me. Alas, I was out of cat food for one of those cats, so I had to go out into the cold and 30mph winds anyway.

I also had to drive downtown to the public radio station to tape a short interview for this week’s Definitely Not the Opera, a weekly show on Canadian Public Radio. I do not live in Canada, so I hadn’t heard of DNtO before, but I downloaded the podcast beforehand to get a sense of the program and I think I’m going to stay subscribed. Each week they take on a theme and collect stories and interviews with people related to that theme. This week the show is called “Peep Show,” and no, I’m not going to reveal some shady past as a stripper. This week’s show is about our fascination with other people’s private lives, so I got to talk about blogging and why I decided to put my life out there for everyone to see.

When I got to the studio, I noticed that the technician operating the sound equipment (who would have to listen to my entire interview in which I talked about how isolated and unhappy I was when I was morbidly obese) was obese himself. Good thing this wasn’t AWKWARD. I got through it, even though my voice started to croak at moments, either from the cold weather or an impending cold. All in all it was a rather fun experience, even if I got lost trying to find my way out of the building.

If you want to listen to the interview, here’s the info they sent me about it:

As for hearing the item, the easiest way in the U.S. (or anywhere else outside Canada) is via our podcast, which is available from our website here (or in a chaptered version from iTunes here). This week’s podcast will be available there Saturday morning.

And if you’d like to hear it live (or know anyone in Canada who would), we air across Canada on CBC Radio One Saturday afternoon from 2:00 to 4:00 (local time in each time zone)… and there’s live streaming here. Your segment will be on in the second hour of the show, so probably around 3:30 (local time).

And finally, if you know any Sirius Satellite listeners, we’re also on Sirius Channel 137, Saturday at noon and 10:00 p.m. (ET).

Update 12-12-09: The podcast is up! You can download the mp3 here. My interview starts around the 50 minute mark. It came out really well, even though I say “you know” a million times and sound a bit croaky. Oh well, there’s always room for improvement!

psychsarah • December 10, 2009 at 9:53 am

I love DNTO! I will definitely listen to your interview. I’m so excited :)

Tiffany S. • December 10, 2009 at 10:05 am

That is so cool!

You never know, maybe you’ve become an inspiration for the sound guy now!

Two women in my office have lost 24 lbs (together) and say I’ve been an inspiration (in the meantime, I’ve lost an additional zero so I’m counting theirs!).

Danielle • December 10, 2009 at 10:29 am

Super cool, I’ll check it out! (But one picky point, the radio station is CBC – Canadian Broadcast Corporation) not Canadian Public Radio… although it is publicly funded.

Janice P • December 10, 2009 at 2:07 pm

So cool! I love DNTO and will make sure I catch your interview this weekend.

FitFunk • December 10, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Congrats on the interview! Sounds a lot like This American Life. I will give it a listen.

Charlie Hills • December 10, 2009 at 10:06 pm

I got the opportunity (in the form of a non-functional automobile) to work from home on Monday. And yes, that is one spectacular commute. Better yet: no cats.

MizFit • December 11, 2009 at 5:54 am

VERY COOL!!!

Tara • December 11, 2009 at 8:35 am

Oooh. A reason to tune into the CBC. Thanks!

anji • December 11, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Cool, our tax dollars at work! i love being able to find a radio station (CBC usually) when you’re in the middle of absolutely no where, 300 kms from anywhere and your salvation comes in radio form!

And, i love that show too :)

Melanie • December 15, 2009 at 5:47 am

I just heard about you for the first time on DNTO and checked out your blog. You are amazing! I really admire you for sticking to your goals.

Katherine davies • December 15, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Just listened to the podcast from Ireland, and I think you were great! The “you knows” were hardly noticeable. You made some excellent points and sounded as bright and interesting as those of us who read your blog know you are. Well done!

Laurie • December 15, 2009 at 8:05 pm

hee hee … indeed, one of many great shows on our dear CBC radio … I love this show as well … being the die-hard Canadian that I am, it is always on the dial!! love your blog!

Melina • January 2, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I heard you on DNTO, which I listen to faithfully every Saturday, and from there began reading your blog, starting with your very first post. I’m about half way through, reading a few every day.

You’ve been a real inspiration to me, and responsible for me purchasing an elliptical machine today, to use in the privacy of my own home, and for me planning to start Phase 1 of the SBD.

The biggest things I’ve learned from you:

1. It can be done.

2. It doesn’t have to start with a big “aha” moment. It can slowly and stumblingly begin.But great things can happen.

3. It will take a really, really long time. Accept it.

4. It will be worth it.

Thanks so much for your years of posting.

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.