Goal!

For the past two Januaries, I’ve written out a list of 3-5 goals I want to accomplish in the upcoming year. I’ve also reflected on last year’s goals to see if I did what I wanted to do. I like to at least attempt to have forward momentum in my life, and having my list of goals above my desk helps with that.

Here’s where I stand with my 2009 goals:

1) Continue to pursue headache treatments

I first went to the headache clinic in January of 2009. Within a few months, we were managing my headache much better, though not ridding me of it completely. We’re still tweaking meds, but overall this goal was pretty much met.

2) Work to become full-time freelancer

I chucked my job in July of 2009 and haven’t looked back. I don’t know how I ever coped with working in an office in the first place. I still don’t have a long-term health insurance solution, but I’ll deal with that at the end of 2010. Another goal accomplished!

3) Maintain my weight with regular fitness and health eating

I’m going to give myself a C+ on this one. I continued to gain weight at the beginning of the year, but I’ve been maintaining for the past several months. I could do better, but managing the headache comes before weight loss, even in this list.

4) Secret goal I will not reveal because I like driving you crazy

Also, I did absolutely nothing to work on this goal, so major FAIL on my part.

5) Travel outside the country

Done. I saw London, I saw France! I only packed four pairs of underpants! (Travel light, and do laundry in the sink.)

Overall, pretty good job, but there is room for improvement. After some thought, here are my goals for 2010:

1) Secret goal I will not reveal to preserve an air of mystery

2) Lose at least 20 pounds by July.

3) Travel to at least 3 new places.

4) Finish and promote headache memoir

5) Another secret goal, in case I hadn’t driven you mad already.

I’ve printed my goals and taped them to my desk. Now I just have to achieve them!

Crabby McSlacker • December 21, 2009 at 10:24 am

It’s funny how many bloggers post goals for the year and how few go back and say how last year’s goals turned out. I’m impressed not only at your accomplishments but at your level of accountability.

I don’t tend to post goals, and have never been a resolutions sort of person. But… maybe this year it’s time for at least some Secret Goals. Even slackers have to start somewhere!

dietgirl • December 21, 2009 at 10:27 am

DANG you’re killing me! More suspense than Hitchcock!

dietgirl • December 21, 2009 at 10:27 am

OH i meant to add… well bloody done on kicking butt in 2009 :)

Jean • December 21, 2009 at 10:30 am

Did you write “secret goal” on the list that you taped to your desk? ;-) All kidding aside, this is probably something that I need to do – write it down & put it in a prominent place to keep me focused & accountable.

Suzanne • December 21, 2009 at 10:42 am

Last year I finally made a resolution I was excited to work on – I’d say a bit like your travel goal. SOOOOO much better than the dreaded weight loss goal.

P.S. 2009 being the first year weight loss was not on my printed list of three goals, it was the first year I actually lost weight in a slow and steady reasonable way.

Aimee • December 21, 2009 at 11:32 am

It definitely sounds like you had a very successful 2009. Best wishes for 2010 & good luck on your 2010 goals:)

OK re: headache. I’m going to be one of those annoying people who says– have you checked out this remedy… blah, blah…

But– do you ever check out Dr. Andrew Weil’s site re: headache treatments?

MB • December 21, 2009 at 11:49 am

You are such a tease with all your secret goals. Will you tell us what the secret goal is once you achieve it?

I think I should write some goals down and keep them posted where I can see them to remind me what I’m working towards.

Congrats on the goals you accomplished in ’09 and I have no doubt you will rock it in 2010!

MERRY MERRY!

jennywenny • December 21, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Good luck with your goals for next year! I think my new years resolution is to be more sociable. I’ve really been hiding away recently and I need to get out more. Oh and lose 20lb, my weight is creeping up and up!

If San Diego is a new place for you to visit then I’d be happy to show you around!(then I get to achieve one of my goals too :))

Doji • December 21, 2009 at 2:16 pm

I have a secret goal, too, because it would sound so DUMB to anyone else that they’d just make fun of me for it! But I didn’t reach it in 2009, so it will carry over to 2010. I DID give some thought to WHY it is so hard for me to do, though, so I guess I’ll give myself a secret C-.

Anonymous Fat Girl • December 21, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Girl you crack me up (re: the secret goal)! LMAO A girl has to keep her mystique in some things afterall, right? And kudos to you with the freelancing. I’m self employed and it’s a tough life. But it can be rewarding. Just don’t plan on swimming in money every month… or eating for that matter. Unless you budget, budget, budget. :)

Debbi S. • December 21, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Interesting how your “secret” goal didn’t get accomplished nor did you even work on it at all. Maybe the key is not keeping it a secret in order for you to get it accomplished. On the other hand, your MOM reads your blog and I can so understand not wanting to reveal your inner self. Maybe start a pseudo blog where no one knows it’s you. :-)

quix • December 21, 2009 at 4:43 pm

3.5 outta 5 aint bad at all. I think that’s about where I’m at for my goals this year too. Gotta get on finalizing mine for next year!

Rahim • December 21, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Whether you achieve an inch or a mile to any goal, I’ve learned you have to celebrate it all to keep motivated. Good luck on your goals for 2010.

The Merry • December 21, 2009 at 7:44 pm

@MB – Yes? You called?

Deb • December 21, 2009 at 10:54 pm

If you achieve one of the secret goals in 2010, will you tell us what it was? :-)

Fitness Contrarian • December 21, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Good luck with your goals for 2010. I’m working on mine.

fd • December 22, 2009 at 5:16 am

i bet your cats could be cyber bribed into taking sneaky pics of your secret goals above your desk and posting them. the treachery is just part of their nature, and as your cats, they must have picked up a blogging skill or two?!

Miz • December 22, 2009 at 5:58 am

1. is the secret goal redoing my blog? :)

B. Im a full time freelancers so does this now mean you will be my virtual officemate?

ID LOVE THAT.

we shall gossip around the nonexistent watercooler…

Julie Big Girl Bombshell • December 22, 2009 at 9:06 am

Yep! Yep! Yep! I have been doing a lot of the same things. Reflecting back and working on my current list. I have my list of goals but I added something this year. What I want and what I don’t want. I had a blast doing this. Watching the 7 yr old in my house and her motivation because of Santa coming inspired me to write my own letter to Santa and one to the Grinch! It put a lot more power into my “goals!”

I can’t wait for the freelancer goal to get out of the office…..

amy • December 22, 2009 at 11:52 am

Okay Pastaqueen, obviously you get to keep your personal life as secret as you’d like, but I can’t help but notice that the only goal you made no progress on is the one you won’t share!

Maybe if you “put it out there” (maybe not online with us, but SOMEwhere), you could make it real this year.

Best of luck, and thanks for the inspiration– now I have to go make my list.

Shannon • December 22, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I just wanted to say that I think it’s an awesome idea to post your resolutions online and then update your viewers on the status of the resolutions. It’s gutsy and admirable, and a great way to peak curiosity (haha I’m dying to know what those personal goals are). I read your blog frequently and I feel that I should say that I always appreciate your writing style and humor. :)

Ro • December 22, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Congrats on staying with your goals! I don’t think I’ve made goals that I’ve actually meant. That’s my goal! Actually make one! lol!

Katharine • December 22, 2009 at 5:48 pm

See, now, PQ–this goal-setting trait is exactly why you get so many things done. You have an admirable success rate. And yes, you are driving me quite mad with your secret goals.

karen@fitnessjourney • December 22, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Hi, stopping in for the first time. That is quite a list and I’m very curious about the mystery one. I’d love to know where you hope to travel too.

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother • December 23, 2009 at 7:57 am

You’re ahead of the game, most peeps don’t come close to achieving any of their goals. Kudos to you!! Good luck in 2010!!

Larkspur • December 23, 2009 at 11:48 am

*I* have a secret goal too, and I’m not telling YOU!

uppityhousewife • December 31, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Hi there. Just finished your book, new to the blog. All fabulous by the way. New to your comments obviously but saw the one about headaches. I have had – crazy as it sounds – botox injections twice a year in my scalp as a final resort to unbearable migraines and it has worked 100%. Done if for 5 years now, no wrinkles in my scalp which is a plus.

Melina • January 3, 2010 at 8:38 am

Not so crazy, uppity. My sister has had debilitating headaches for years, and for the last 2 years has gotten major relief from botox injections into the back of her neck and shoulders. So, presumably, the back of her neck looks years younger than the front!

Melina • January 3, 2010 at 9:12 am

Oh no, my apologies. I just got to your post listing all the headache cures people had sent you and begging us not to repeat them. And there was botox, in with an absurdly long list. My personal favourites included trepanation, hitting yourself over the head with heavy objects, and a 3 day coma.

So no more suggestions from me. But I will refer my sister to your site. Her life has been ruled by her headaches for years, and every visit with her revolves around what stage she’s in at any given time – just getting a headache, just losing a headache, or totally flat in bed with one. Your posts have been very helpful – I try to be compassionate, but I know I could do better.

Johanna • January 17, 2010 at 1:26 pm

@uppityhousewife – I just overherad a conversation about this same thing while sitting in the sauna at my gym. Two women discussing botox around the mouth and then evolving to migraines and a friend having cured it with botox injections. Seems a bit drastic and not really realistic in the long-run!

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine