Beach baby

Jennette at the beach

I was scanning old family photos this weekend and came across this photo of me at the beach. I don’t remember that swimsuit. I don’t remember having my picture snapped. But there I am, in a moment, enjoying the sand and the waves. Did people ever get a chance to sneak peeks into their past like this before Kodak came along?

Cristina • December 7, 2009 at 12:04 pm

You look pretty! And you were a blond! How old were you?

scone • December 7, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Aaaawwwwww! Such a cutie!

shauna/dg • December 7, 2009 at 1:26 pm

so cute! you rock the blonde so well :)

and wee Jennette looks like she’s looking right at you… HEY FUTURE JENNETTE… gimme a hand with this sandcastle!

elty • December 7, 2009 at 2:10 pm

re: pre-Kodak peeks into the past…

Have you ever had the experience of re-reading an old journal you kept, and not being able to remember the events you had written about? Or ditto with reading letters you wrote to your parents during your gap year after high school? I have. That seems like an old-tech way to glimpse one’s own forgotten past.

Johanna • December 7, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Letters were written, journals were kept, portraits were painted… alas, no Kodak!

Alison • December 7, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Aww….it’s a wittle Pasta Queen!! You’re so adorable!

It’s funny you brought this up. When I was in elementary and middle school, every year my parents and I went to Florida for 3 weeks in March or April to visit my grandparents. I usually had to take my school work with me, but in first and third grades, my teachers said to heck with the school work – they wanted a daily journal, with photos, of my trip. (We did use a Kodak back then). They are really cool journals! It’s so neat to see what we did on vacation (my parents really put together a nice, educational vacation), and there are some pictures I don’t remember, but a bunch I do. Some quite similar to your picture in this post!

Thanks for the trip back down memory lane. :-D

PastaQueen • December 7, 2009 at 2:43 pm

@elty – Americans don’t have a gap year (though I wish we did). They just shove use right into college, usually confused and overwhelmed :)

K • December 7, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Aww! You are adorable! Great photo! I like to look at pictures of myself as a little one. It reminds me of the carefree days. :)

AndrewE • December 7, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Technology is changing things for sure. My daughter is going to have thousands of photos of herself growing up thanks to digital cameras.

Shaunta • December 7, 2009 at 3:52 pm

What a doll…and it’s weird with your eyes peeking over the top of your header…you can TOTALLY tell it’s you. Your eyes haven’t changed a bit :)

Quix • December 7, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Adorable!

And I have no idea how anyone remembered anything before photos. Half of my childhood memories are only triggered by seeing pictures of them. But I have the memory of a goldfish…

ChrissyS • December 7, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Oh my goodness, what a cute photo!

Lisa • December 8, 2009 at 4:12 am

Re: People looking into their past – Sure they did. They kept scrapbooks with drawings and really intricate journals.

Pauline • December 8, 2009 at 4:23 am

It’s cute how you seem to put up your thumbs + the very cool expression on your face – a real beach babe! :-) When I’m home for Christmas, I will go through old family photos – I love looking at old pictures and seeing myself grow up!

Leigh Ann • December 8, 2009 at 2:01 pm

@Alison -

Wow, what fun. And educational too, I bet. I’m sure you learned and broadened your experience and made all kinds of mental connections. But try that now and the school system would have a fit, because of $$$. They get paid according to how many days each student is in class. At least in my state.