Any healthy cookie ideas?

Christmas Cookies

Photo by Libär used under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

I’m going to a Cookie Exchange Christmas party tomorrow, and I’m concerned. I’m working on losing the 40 pounds I gained during the worst of my headache, and cookies do not seem like the best way to do that. (And if anyone mentions “The Cookie Diet” I will stab your eyes out with my ballpoint pen. The PR company for that product is run by assholes and morons who aren’t competent enough to remove me from their email ist.) But, I want to see my friends, and they are throwing a cookie party, so I’m going. Everyone is supposed to bring a batch of cookies and then we exchange them so everyone gets a plate full of different treats.

Does anyone have a recipe for healthy cookies? Or is that term an oxymoron? If I can’t find a healthy cookie recipe, I figure I should find a recipe for cookies I hate. That way when I’m baking them I will not be tempted to lick the beaters and shove five spoonfuls of dough down my throat. (Just to taste test, I swear! Give me my spoon back!!) Of course, I don’t want the cookies to taste bad to everyone, or else I will get a reputation as the bad cookie lady. “Did you taste those cookies Jennette brought? I think they were made of Elmer’s glue and sidewalk chalk!”

Ideas please! And quickly! I need these cookies by tomorrow afternoon.

Rah • December 11, 2009 at 9:38 am

Just got an email from eatingwell.com, with some healthy cookie recipes. They have fantastic recipes in general. I am not affiliated with them in any way whatsoever, just a fan.

Elizabeth S. • December 11, 2009 at 9:54 am

Ok, I don’t have healthy. But I do have a) easy and b) something that never really comes together to be taste-able until completion (ie, no batter to taste-test a million times)

Saltine Toffee Cookies (I swear they’re good)

4 oz saltine crackers

1 c butter

1 c brown sugar

2 c chocolate chips

3/4 c chopped pecans

1. preheat oven 400

2. line cookie sheet with tin foil, then line with saltines

3. in a saucepan, bring sugar and butter to a boil for three minutes. pour over saltines and spread to cover crackers immediately.

4. bake for 5-6 minutes in 400 degree oven

5. sprinke chocolate chips over the top and let them melt, spread them with spatula.

6. cover with chopped nuts, let cool, put in fridge.

So see? You can’t really taste anything because it’s, ya know, boiling and stuff. And I guess you could snack on chocolate chips, but that’s a little easier to avoid than, say, creamy cookie dough. AND trust, when these are made, the salty + sweet is the BEST. Super easy to double/triple the recipe too.

Caroline • December 11, 2009 at 10:06 am

Oh, barf, healthy cookies.

There are a lot of healthy cookie recipes on Spark People, but I can’t really recommend any of them. I would make a batch of Lemon Ricotta Cookies and use fat-free ricotta and lie to myself and call that healthy.

If nothing else, go out and buy a few boxes of Kashi’s trail mix cookies. They’re about as healthy as cookies get without tasting like apple cores rolled in flax seed and mop water. I won’t tell your cookie group.

Ironlady • December 11, 2009 at 10:09 am

Can you cheat and bring brownies instead? Whole Foods has this great recipe for flourless black bean brownies. I’ve tried it and you can’t tell they are made from black beans. Very nutrious and delcious! Or you can just cut the brownies in circles and call them cookies.

Kristin • December 11, 2009 at 10:14 am

Fruitcake cookied! (I substituted butter for shortening and it worked fine.)

Ok, yes, dried fruit and nuts have a lot of calories, but they also have a lot of nutrients so… I consider these cookies healthy!

I made them last year and they went pretty fast, even though no one in my family likes fruitcake.

Bonnie H • December 11, 2009 at 10:21 am

Just go to the party, forget about the cookies. What is important is the connection with your friends. Bring no cookies, take home no cookies.

kris • December 11, 2009 at 10:25 am

Why bake? Go to the best bakery in your area and take them with you… the key is to not take any cookies home after the party.

Jenn in the 'Bend • December 11, 2009 at 10:27 am

The real trick is NOT bring any of the cookies home, for that is the main purpose of the cookie exchange party. Bake 6 dozen and take 6 dozen home of different types other than yours – gah!

I like the website cookinglight.com even though sometimes the recipes are a bit more time consuming. I’ve had good luck with them and they give nutritional info.

Brown Sugar and Spice Cookies

Lemon Cornmeal Cookies

Kris • December 11, 2009 at 10:40 am

From Fiber One – these are yummy – easy (no baking) and can be made festive by using red and green m&m’s

Polka Dot Chocolate Drops

1 cup butterscotch chips

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

2 cups Fiber One original bran cereal

72 miniature candy-coated chocolate baking bits

1. In 2-quart saucepan, heat butterscotch chips and chocolate chips over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth.

2. Gently stir in cereal until well coated. Drop mixture by 24 teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper. Press 3 baking bits onto each. Refrigerate until firm.

JEM • December 11, 2009 at 10:40 am

This is what I made when I was trying to limit carbs and they were yum.

1-1/4 cup almond flour

1 cup Splenda

1/4 cup butter, at room temperature

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

additional Splenda, for decorating

Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat. Stir together flour and Splenda. Blend in butter, egg and vanilla until well mixed. Form into 1-inch balls on a cookie sheet and flatten each with a fork. Sprinkle with additional Splenda. Bake for 8 minutes or until set but not brown. Allow to cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet then remove to wire racks to cool.

Maybe you could add sprinkles to make them more festive.

Sarah B • December 11, 2009 at 10:46 am

Here is my favorite healthy cookie. It’s simple, too!

1 box spice cake mix

1 15 oz. can pumpkin

3/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350

Grease cookie sheet with cooking spray

Mix cake mix and pumpkin in bowl until well blended.

Stir in chocolate chips (if using)

Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet

Bake 8-10 minutes

Kat • December 11, 2009 at 10:48 am

DITTO on the Saltine Toffee Cookies–no batter to sample, and they get raves!

And DOUBLE DITTO on “Bring No Cookies–Take Home No Cookies”. Would it be acceptable to just share yourself?

Anna • December 11, 2009 at 10:52 am

seems I’ve seen a recipe for peppermint meringues that didn’t seem to bad, mostly egg whites.

Flora • December 11, 2009 at 10:58 am

“Healthy cookies” = oxymoron. I like your idea of baking a cookie you hate (chocolate chip cookies would be mine–just so bored with them). And definitely don’t bother bringing any home.

Here is an easy-peasy recipe that people love–it might be a little spendy to make 6 dozen though, unless you make them small:

Osa Morena • December 11, 2009 at 11:00 am

Semi-healthy option: A three-layered bar cookie with an oatmeal/brown sugar/margarine (mostly oatmeal) top and bottom, and an all-fruit jam for the center Check allrecipes.com. And the “don’t bring any home” reminder is good too, to which I would add “bring your own drinks.” It *is* about the company.

Rebecca Hoover • December 11, 2009 at 11:04 am

I have no great ideas but I have to say…..is there really a “yucky” cookie? Really? I’ve never met a cookie I haven’t liked. :)

Ana • December 11, 2009 at 11:37 am

Hmmm, I hope that link works–In case it doesn’t, it’s CookingLight.com’s recipe for cinnamon-sugar cookies, that I’ve made multiple times and love each time. the turbinado sugar at the end really does make them look lovely. I’d recommend any recipe from their sight if these don’t sound like they’re up your alley, and no one will know they’re ‘healthy’(-ier)

Heather • December 11, 2009 at 11:46 am

I second the recommendation to search for recipes at eatingwell.com. Most of their recipes for cookies are going to substitute in whole grain flours for white and use heart healthy oils in place of butter. They also include all the nutritional info per serving with the recipe.

rebecca • December 11, 2009 at 12:01 pm

@Sarah B – Sorry to shatter your illusions, but I think it’s a real stretch to call “a box of spice cake mix” healthy. Have you ever read the ingredients? AND chocolate chips? It sounds quite tasty, but not healthy!

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother • December 11, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Oh my lord, that looks devine!!!!! All those cookies, yumm o! Sorry no recipes, maybe hungry girl?

schmei • December 11, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I’m not sure if they’re “healthy”, but No-Bake Cookies are rich (so I usually eat only one or two, instead of forty), and they involve a _lot_ of oatmeal. Also, they are frickin’ easy to make.

OK, they involve peanut butter, butter and sugar, so maybe they’re not healthy at all. But… oatmeal!

I’m with the folks who say “bring none, take none home” and just hang out with your friends.

bloomie • December 11, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Try some biscotti. Compared to most cookies a lot less sugar, butter, etc…

Megan • December 11, 2009 at 12:37 pm

You could always use the old stuffed dates trick. You can put in nuts or peanut butter, or I bet there are some other variations out there on the internets. The ingredients are not super low cal but each one is small and they are healthy. Works for a fruit serving. And if you don’t like dates that could work too!

Mary • December 11, 2009 at 12:52 pm

I’m in the “don’t bring, don’t take” camp. But if you have to bring something, you could do Rice Krispie treats. Easy, fairly low-cal and popular.

Tammy • December 11, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Meringues!!!!!!!!!! Light, fluffy, everyone will ooh and aaah and they have a fraction of the calories that regular cookies have.

chelseaj • December 11, 2009 at 12:58 pm

My favorite is espresso hazelnut meringues. They still have sugar (don’t use a substitute), but are lower in calories and higher in protein than a normal cookie. I adapted a meringue recipe with hazelnuts that I toasted and pulverized, and some instant espresso powder.

Tiffany • December 11, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Here’s a link to my Pumpkin Cookies: http://living-gfcf.blogspot.com/2009/10/gfcf-pumpkin-cookies.html

They are gluten free (my son is allergic to gluten) but there’s no reason you can’t use regular flour in place of the GF flour it calls for (I converted a regular recipe when I made this one.)

Since creating this recipe, I replaced the 1/2 c. of oil with 1/2 c. of unsweetened applesauce. PERFECT!! I’ve made them without the 1/2 c. of brown sugar and eh, they needed some sweetness added. Perhaps a little splenda in its place?

Good luck!!

DuchessOfDork • December 11, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Paula Deen’s peanut butter cookies!! They have less sugar, and more protein than any other cookies!!

Jen • December 11, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Roni has a great recipe for chocolate oatmeal walnut cookies on her GreenLiteBites site… one cookie has 60 calories and they’re really delicious!!

Mymsie • December 11, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Easy, low-fat, high-fiber, low-sugar, and most importantly YUM: http://mymsie.wordpress.com/2006/09/21/i-know-you-want-my-cookies/

Amy • December 11, 2009 at 2:45 pm

The first thing that came to mind when I read your blog was granola bars. I know, not a cookie but close enough, in my opinion. My second thought was anzac bars which are essentially granola bars. :)

Someone brought these to a Christmas cookie exchange we had once and I loved them. This is not the exact recipe (I am too lazy to go find mine) but this one sounds even healthier.

By the way, I’m a new subscriber. Good job on the weight loss!

PastaQueen • December 11, 2009 at 2:51 pm

@Mymsie I remember making those last year! They were yum.

Susan • December 11, 2009 at 2:52 pm

For a healthy “cookie”, try a dried apricot with an unsalted almond pushed on top of it. It honestly tastes like a cookie, and it looks pretty. And you don’t have to bake anything.

For a quick, NOT-healthy cookie recipe, if you go that route instead, try Paula Deen’s Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies:

1 (8-ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature

1 stick butter, at room temperature

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 (18-ounce) box moist chocolate cake mix

Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg. Then beat in the vanilla extract. Beat in the cake mix. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up so that you can roll the batter into balls. Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls and then roll them in confectioner’s sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and “gooey.” Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners’ sugar, if desired.

Quix • December 11, 2009 at 3:02 pm

I am totally in the buy some yummy cookies from a bakery, enjoy yourself there, and don’t bring ANYTHING HOME camp. If people force it on you, no one has to know that their lovelies went into a dumpster. :)

I haven’t tried these yet but I have been meaning to mean to – http://thegreatfitnessexperiment.blogspot.com/2009/01/no-fat-no-sugar-no-flour-chocolate.html

missy • December 11, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Instead of cookies, why not do something like mini banana bread muffins ? You can substitute some whole wheat flour, use only egg whites, and the applesauce for oil substitution.

Evita • December 11, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Hi Jennette,

Well I am not sure if they qualify as cookies…but they are a sweet treat and one that can actually be considered healthy…no sugar, no eggs, no dairy and no processed food in them.

All you need is a food processor and some nuts, dates, cinnamon and raw, unsweetened coconut flakes. There are different variations, but I start by throwing in some nuts into the food processor (you pick…walnuts, almonds or pecans work best) with about a slightly less amount of fresh dates (pitted), sprinkle in some cinnamon, or nutmeg, or cordamom, can even add some natural vanilla flavor and just food process this mix. (Once you get the hang of them, you can make all sorts of flavors like mint, etc… even add some cocoa powder to make chocolate ones)

You know it is ready when it all clumps up. Then using your hands roll these into a small ball – I would say about the size of a Ferrero Rocher (they will be a little sticky, and than roll in the coconut flakes). They look great, are so easy and taste awesome!

I call them Christmas Balls :) They are delicious and actually healthy!

Aimee • December 11, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Try these Citrus-drizzled oatmeal cranberry cookies: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1559193

They are low calorie, easy to make and delicious! I make hundreds of cookies each year for christmas gifts. A few are usually dieting, so I include these every year. Like Paula Deene, I don’t know a dish that butter can’t make better, but these cookies are one of my favorites.

You could also try these Chair shortbread, but they require refridgeration and a little more baking experience. http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1687677

Helen • December 11, 2009 at 4:23 pm

These are called Forgotten Cookies and are one of the lowest calorie/healthiest cookies I can think of. You probably could substitute the sugar with Splenda but I never have:

2 egg whites, at room temperature

2/3 cup sugar

pinch salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add sugar and continue beating until they hold stiff peaks. Add salt and vanilla. Stir well. Fold in chocolate chips. Cover cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the foil. Put in oven then turn the oven off. Leave overnight in oven with door closed.

Sandi • December 11, 2009 at 6:00 pm

@Elizabeth S. – I have made these in the past and they are really excellent!

adrienne • December 11, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Hi PQ,

You know how much I love to eat (especially fattening fare). Well, one of my deep dark secrets is that I have a huge girl-crush on vegan chef Robin Robertson.

Through strange astrological circumstances my husband went vegetarian and my parents went vegan at the same time. As a non-cooking carnivore bakery-lover, this was a heart-stopping development (and no, it wasn’t the cholesterol plaque breaking loose from my arteries).

Robin Robertson’s Meat and Potatoes Vegetarian saved my life. The recipes within are mostly VEGAN with suggestions to adapt them to merely vegetarian. And they are good. Not passable, but Giordano’s stuffed spinach pizza good, but unlike Giorando’s they’re mostly pretty healthy.

I have yet to bake either of these cookie recipes (my kids and husband love oatmeal scotchies so I rarely bake anything else), but I would bet the farm (and Baby Toolkit labs) that these are exquisite. I may have to make some for Christmas.

****

Mom’s Butterballs (these look like a variation on Mexican wedding cookies):

A natural sweetener can be used in the cookie itself, but the final dusting of confectioner’s sugar is hard to duplicate– so if the sugar’s a problem, simply eliminate the final flourish

1 c (2 sticks) butter or soy margarine

3/4 c natural sweetener or confectioner’s sugar

1 tsp pure vanilla extract (if you have artificial just throw it out)

1 & 3/4 c all-purpose flour

1 & 3/4 c finely ground walnuts

1. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream together butter, 1/2 cup of the sweetener, and the vanilla. Add the flour and walnuts stirring well until combined.

2. Divide the dough into thirds. Using your hands, roll each piece into a 12″ long rope. Wrap each roll in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour to chill.

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut each rope into 1″ pieces, roll into balls, and arrange about 1″ apart on ungreased baking sheets (I recommend parchment paper for simple clean-up).

4. Bake until golden brown (usually 16 to 18 minutes). Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.

5. Place the remaining 1/4 c of sugar in a sifter and sift over cookies until they are dusted with sugar. Store in an airtight container.

makes 3 dozen cookies

**********************************

Five spice oatmeal date cookies

1 c flour

1/2 c light brown sugar or natural sweetener

2 large eggs or egg replacer for 2 eggs

2 TBS cold water

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 & 1/4 c rolled (old fashioned) oats

3/4 c chopped dates

1. Preheat to 350. Lightly oil 2 baking sheets (or use parchment and keep things simple).

2. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, spices, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

3. In large bowl, beat oil and brown sugar with an electric mixer until well blended. Beat in eggs, water, and vanilla. Stir in dates and oats.

4. Drop the batter by rounded tsps about 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake until golden (~15 min). Allow the cookies to cool completely before storing in airtight container.

makes 2 dozen cookies

heather • December 11, 2009 at 6:07 pm

I have got the easiest cookie recipe for you. There is no batter so you wont be tempted to nibble but, the cake mix and butter is a pretty tasty combo.

Jam Bars

1 box yellow cake mix with pudding in the mix

1 stick butter, melted

1/2 jar apricot jam

1/2 bag white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350

Mix the cake mix and butter until crumbly, reserve 1/2 cup.

Press the remaining mix in a greased 13×9 pan. Spread 1/2 the jar of jam on the crust.

Add 1/2 bag of white chips to the 1/2 cup reserved mix and sprinkle over the jam. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Let cool and enjoy.

They freeze really well and you can also make them with raspberry jam and semisweet chocolate chips.

Delicious.

Hope you have a great holiday

Heather

Amy • December 11, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Here’s a well reviewed light snickerdoodle recipe, not too many crazy ingredients no one has. I’m not a big snickerdoodle fan myself, I’d make them sugar cookies myself with red and green sugar instead of cinnamon sugar. Whatever you make, beware the use of fake butters because most of them don’t lend themselves to baking.

Bethama • December 11, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Make meringues! They’re fat-free, melt in your mouth, and best of all, they’re essentially pure raw eggs, so you can use that as a firm excuse not to do any pre-baking taste tests.

Anonymous Fat Girl • December 11, 2009 at 8:02 pm

ha ha! you must be talking about that stoooopid commercial that my kids now sing… “Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?” I hate those jerks.

Wish I had a good recipe for you but since I don’t here’s some positive thoughts your way. I know how hard it is to be in control around sweets and you CAN DO THIS. :)

Steffanie • December 11, 2009 at 9:14 pm

1 can of pumpkin

1 box of spice cake mix

1 cup mini-chocolate chips

Use mixer to mix pumpkin and spice cake mix. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop spoon-full size dough onto cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Not sure of exacts stats, but one cooke is 1 WW point. These are always a hit.

faye • December 11, 2009 at 9:35 pm

What about No Bake Oatmeal Fudge Cookies? Meets your easy and fast requirement and is borderline nutritious with their good proportion of oats and peanut butter.

1. Combine in a pan: 1 stick butter, 1/2 c cocoa powder, 1/2 c milk, 1 c sugar. Bring to boil and boil for 1 minute–try to be precise with time or they’ll be dry.

2. Remove from heat. Quickly stir in 1 Tsp. vanilla, 1/2 c. peanut butter until smooth. Then stir in 3 c quick oats.

3. Drop mixture on parchment or wax paper lined cookie sheet by tablespoon while mixture is still warm.

4. Cookies will set up into yummy little rounds of fudgey goodness.

I advise having the ingredients on hand for any time you’re snowbound and would kill for chocolate. :-)

Skippy • December 11, 2009 at 9:59 pm

I’ve done the bring-something-I-personally-hate. Fortunately I hate mint, so I’ll bring something chocolate mint.

Also, with a cookie swap, I get my share of the cookies and bring them into work the next day. To ensure the cookies make it to work, I’ll either tie the cookie container up with that narrow gift ribbon and a bow, or I’ll put some of the chocolate mint cookies I hate in there so the entire thing smells like chocolate mint. I work with 32 software developers, so once the box is open, I’m safe…

Jenertia • December 11, 2009 at 10:11 pm

I don’t know if this counts as clever or cheating, but what if you brought something that goes great with cookies – skim milk for everyone, or better, swing by a coffee place and pick up a big vat of cofffee, tea, and milk and sugar, so everyone could enjoy drinks with the cookies they’ll be sampling at the event.

Even a crockpot of mulled apple cider is festive, easy, consumed on the spot, and probably welcome.

Healthy Living • December 12, 2009 at 4:31 am

Try to bake sugar-free cookies, it’s very guilt-free and it’s still delicious.

christen • December 12, 2009 at 8:49 am

hey PQ!

I have a quick and easy “recipe” that always is appreciated– I take the thicker mini pretzel rods and dip them into melted chocolate chips, so that 1/3 is coated. If you want to take it a step farther, you can then dip them into christmas sprinkes, nuts, etc. if you are feeling really naughty, you can always dip them into the health bar crumbles they sell next to the chocolate chips. The best part is this takes no time whatsoever– it takes just an hour to make a ton of treats to take along.

Deb • December 12, 2009 at 9:25 am

Ha ha. You are so funny. I love you. Somehow, meringue cookies don’t seem that bad to me. There’s sugar in them, but each one doesn’t amount to much in the way of calories. Plus they’re easy, I think, not that I ever make them.

Thank you for reminding me that I am not alone in thinking that “maintenance is a bitch.”

Happy Cookie Party! You can do it.

Lyn • December 12, 2009 at 11:46 am

I vote for making ones you hate. And eating a lot of carrots before you go. Works for me :)

laney • December 12, 2009 at 11:55 am

Ugh. Cookie exchanges are the stupidest thing in the world! WTF? Who does that? Why oh why would people do a cookie exchange? No one wants to sit around eating cookies. Excuse my rant. I’ve had to blow off like 10 cookie exchanges this year. My baking skills are a la Mrs. Crocker and my ability to behave around thousands of cookies are that of a 5 year old. So, for me, skipping them is the best thing to do.

jenny • December 12, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Ug, good luck, I avoid those things! I’ll be baking some sugar cookies and icing them, I’m not really that into them so I dont eat a ton, also peppermint meringues are at least fat free and I’m not too bothered about them either, super easy to make as long as you make sure everything is cleaned out with a little vinegar to make sure that it is clean, so they whip up big.

Karen • December 12, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Just finishing your book. It is one of the best books I have read in a very long time. Looking forward to combing through your blog and to see how your cookie exchange went…

sheryl • December 12, 2009 at 10:00 pm

go to a bakery and buy nice cookies (this will avoid the licking of the batter and eating a bag of hershey kisses etc. – then when it comes time to bring some cookies home – just take a few – or take what ever they give you and donate them to whereever you want – animal shelter people, police dept, hospital, crossing guard – you get the idea – good luck.

emmet • December 13, 2009 at 11:06 am

this i a cookie blog that i adore: http://vegancookies.wordpress.com/

zoey • December 13, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Here’s the truth: if you are trying to lose weight, no, there is no ‘healthy cookie’. There are cookies with better quality ingredients, and cookies with inferior/crappier ingredients. But let’s face it: cookies have little or no nutritional value, and they are loaded with calories. They are nothing but calorie bombs. So, yeah, you’re going to gain weight or at least plateau if you eat cookies…unless you plan to workout even more to burn them off. And if that’s the case, you’ll have to keep track of every one that you eat, the calories involved, and how long/intense you work out. Most people underestimate calories and overestimate what they think they’ve burned off.

This is usually more work than most people are willing to do. So this is my advice:

bring cookies if you can do it without eating all the raw dough. If not, buy some! Plan how many you are going to eat (yes, exact numbers), and then plan who you are giving your plate of cookies to…maybe a gift for your brother? Leave them in the car after the party, and remember, they’re are a gift for some one else! Give them away immediately-to someone who lives outside your home. My two cents.

PastaQueen • December 13, 2009 at 4:30 pm

@laney – Laney, you might want to consider that my friends read this web site, in particular my friends throwing the party, before you hit the “submit” button next time.

Stacy • December 13, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Here is a recipe for super yummy somewhat healthy Ginger Cookies! you can substitute in whole wheat flour or at least 1/2 of it.

2 cups flour

2 tsp baking soda

2 1/2 tsp ginger

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp ground cloves

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup crisco

1/4 cup butter, softened

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

1/4 cup molasses

white sugar for rolling

preheat the oven to 350 deg.

Combine the flour, soda and spices. Set aside.

Cream the crisco, butter and brown sugar. Add the molasses, egg and salt. Mix well.

Add the dry ingredients a cup at a time until all mixed.

Roll into balls and roll in sugar. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

Mary • December 13, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Fun – just read an article about holiday cookies, and which do the least – and the most damage (calorie-wise)

* least damage = gingersnaps

* most damage = peanut butter with the chocolate kiss the middle (my favorites), coconut macaroons

* some where in the middle = chocolate chip and sugar cookies

healthyHotGirl • December 14, 2009 at 1:59 am

Whenever i get a craving for cookies i like to go to a health food store, and get a box of dairy and Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix.. Then i just follow the directions on the package (usually very simple) i think thats the best way to go if your tying to lose weight! good luck :)

xoxo

cathy • December 14, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Sweet potato cookies? Very delish and packed full of sweet potatoes, so they have some redeeming value. http://alifelesssweet.blogspot.com/2008/08/sweet-potato-cookies-yum.html

Tyler • December 16, 2009 at 2:24 am

You can try oatmeal cookies. Believe me they’re healthy and delicious as well. If you need the recipe, shoot me an email.

Claudia • December 17, 2009 at 4:31 pm

I’m not sure if anyone posted this website, but they have some “healthified” recipes, not just cookies. They look tasty, haven’t tried any yet.

botgurl • January 4, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Ok I know it’s late :-) but I think these cookies are healthy. They have no saturated fat, uses spelt flour, and taste great. Chocolate chips are optional although I don’t think chocolate chips are “bad”. Highly recommend following the recipe and using the maple syrup.

Multifunction and multi-user desk is shared by people and cats : TreeHugger
If this works I totally need one. My left hand is half-numb because I've got a cat draped on it.

Game of Thrones rape: Director Alex Graves says the sex "becomes consensual."

Runaway stowaway survives Calif.-Hawaii flight: FBI - CBS News
If this had happened in a movie I would never have believed it was possible.

Site Meter