Run Like Hell…unless it’s raining

So…you know that race I was going to run while wearing a Halloween costume? Yeah, that one. Well, something rained on my parade. More specifically, it was this big, yellow-green blob:

Rain on my parade

I enjoy a good footrace as much as anyone, and I did trek downtown to gawk at the freaks document the event for you guys, but my costume did not involve an umbrella or a rain slicker, so I decided it was best to sit this one out. Good thing too, because there were two people in pink pig outfits with “H1N1″ written on their bodies who looked rather contagious. Between that and the wet leaves littered on the course path, I probably would have broken my neck and then developed pneumonia.

My bystander status meant that for the first time in my life I got to watch the start of a race instead of standing patiently at the back waiting for everyone else to move. Did you know they have people on bicycles leading the runners? I had no idea! I always thought that the lead runners had studied the course in advance as part of their rigorous training regimen to know which way to go. It looked rather fun to be leading a costumed pack of people through the dark. The locals taking an evening stroll down the canal sure did look surprised to see Spider-man and The Flash run by. Spider-man was outpacing The Flash too, which didn’t seem right. (What do the comic book freaks have to say about this scenario? Could that really happen if The Flash were handicapped in some way?)

I enjoyed seeing everyone’s costumes. I particularly like that moment when my mind makes the connection between how they’re dressed and who they’re supposed to be, like I’m figuring out a puzzle. There were about 200 people, but two-thirds of them were dressed like runners. I bet they were embarrassed that so many people were wearing the same costume as them! There probably would have been even more people if the weather had been nice. Here are some highlights if you need some costume ideas for next year:

Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and eggs! Cute costume, but I would be afraid of being eaten.

Who you gonna' call?

The Ghostbusters looked rather waterproof.

Crazy cat lady

The crazy cat lady was my favorite outfit. In the background there is a guy in a green suit who was near the lead of the pack. What is he? A green screen?

Pac Man

Pac Man and one of those ghosts that try to eat Pac Man!

Other highlights included:

• A man and a woman dressed as mustard and ketchup bottles, with a kid dressed as a hot dog
  • The seven dwarves (I only saw 4 who told us the other 3 were faster than them)
  • The cast of the Mario Brothers game, including Mario, Luigi, Princess Toadstool and others. One of them was carrying a boombox that played the Mario theme
  • Boy George, who also had a boombox, this one playing Boy George music
  • A man in doctor’s scrubs pushing a woman in a wheelchair. I admire her race strategy.
  • A PC and Mac, like from the commercials
  • Wayne and Garth
  • Christmas presents with lights
  • Indiana Jones

And what, pray tell, was I going to dress as?

Yeah, the photo is blurry. Let it go, ok?

Bzzz, bzzz! I was going to be a bumblebee and I was going to make some sort of joke about Flight of the Bumblebee. Alas it was not to bee, and it was just as well because I saw three other people dressed as bees, like they were all from the same hive. Bees don’t fly in the rain though, which is why this little bee stayed under her umbrella.

Jess • November 2, 2009 at 9:41 am

Green Man from Always Sunny in Philadelphia! (Which was NOT true for us on Saturday, either. Ugh for rainy Halloweens.)

Kelly • November 2, 2009 at 9:43 am

The green guy is Greenman from It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Hysterical show if you’re into dark humor.

Jessica • November 2, 2009 at 9:47 am

He’s Green Man from the show It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia!! It’s an awesome show, particularly the first, second and third season! http://www.hulu.com/watch/18149/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-freak-show#s-p38-sr-i1

Jess • November 2, 2009 at 10:23 am

Hooray – you got a picture of my hubs and me! We were the bacon and egg! I wish I had seen you there PQ – I would have said hi!

Benita • November 2, 2009 at 11:10 am

Too bad it rained – you would have been a cute bee buzzing through the pack.

Tanya • November 2, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Cute! I love all the different costumes! That’s so cool that “the egg” reads your blog! LOL!

I feel boring now…I thought my costume looked really cool, but I was only a boring she-devil. Hmph!

Kari • November 2, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Speaking of people pushing wheelchairs in races… When I ran in Race for the Cure last year, there was a guy toward the middle of the pack who was pushing his mom in her wheelchair, wearing her “survivor” shirt. I thought that was so sweet. He was pretty fast too so he probably would have been at the front if he’d just been running, but he took her along for the ride.

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother • November 2, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Too cute! Love it! Bacon and eggs…classic!

Rahim • November 2, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Yeah the bacon and eggs were the best. I never would’ve even thought of that.

Quix • November 2, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Love the costumes! The bumble bee would have been great but hey – better to be safe and live to run another day. Mine would have worked for a race (but I didn’t do any) – I was a zombie cheerleader. Costume involving a running skirt, warm socks, a sweater, and running shoes this year? Comfy and priceless. :)

Merry • November 2, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Can I mention that you sound a bit wasp-ish to me? No? Oh. Okay then.

Lesley • November 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm

I love running in the rain, but it would be significantly less fun while wearing a soggy, awkward costume.

I love Mr. Bacon and Ms. Egg!

PurpleGirl • November 3, 2009 at 1:03 am

I suck at coming up with costumes myself, but I love to see other peoples’! Last year I saw some people dressed as the ring wraiths from Lord of the Rings … on horses, running around downtown!

Tiffany Stevenson • November 3, 2009 at 7:05 pm

I can’t believe people ran with boom boxes or those Ghostbusters backpacks – show offs!

I think you did the right thing by sitting it out. There’s always next year!

superpaige • November 4, 2009 at 10:21 am

I can not imagine running in that pac man costume! That’s crazy!

Jorja • November 23, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I ended up running this race. It was definitely hell! Rain, wind, cold, slippery leaves…just not my idea of a fun, relaxing run! Loved the costumes that night though…saw Bacon & Egg. Also saw the Target lady from SNL!

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.