PastaQueen does Los Angeles

Los Angeles

If you read this before the end of the day, I am either airborne or waiting for my layover in Minnesota. (Hello, Minneapolis!) Either way, I’m also praying that my pilots are not drunk or using their laptops in the cockpit. I’m heading to LA for the Nutrilite Blogger Event this weekend, where I’ll learn about their products, meet some athletes, and get a free health assessment which will test my flexibility, bone density, and analyze my body fat. (Eep!) Nutrilite is a manufacturer of vitamins and dietary supplements owned by Amway. I shall report back on my trip next week, and I shall try to do so without sounding like an advertorial.

This event is also an excuse to see LA for the first time, and how could I turn down an opportunity to feel fat and ugly next to all the pretty, plastic people out there? I asked Nutrilite to delay my return ticket by two days, and they were happy to oblige. (Thanks, Lindsay!) So if you see a brunette in a rental sedan driving erratically down Mulholland Drive this Sunday, it might be me! I have carefully studied my guidebooks, so I know where Compton is and I will try to avoid it since I’ve heard it mentioned in far too many gangster rap songs. I looked into getting tickets to The Price is Right, because I thought it would make a great blog entry if I appeared on the show and won a hot tub. Upon further research, I discovered that getting in involved waiting around a parking lot for at least six hours, so I nixed that idea. I don’t really want a hot tub anyway, though that would have been an awesome entry, wouldn’t it?

dietgirl • November 13, 2009 at 7:17 am

COOL! Hope you have a rockin good time.

I wish UK companies would do stuff like this for bloggers… they have NO imagination at all :)

MB • November 13, 2009 at 7:41 am

Have fun in LaLa Land. If I were there I’d rather see Chelsea Lately than the Price is Right but I’m not sure how long the wait is for her.

If you want to use a hot tub, take a trip to Vermont and you can get all the hot tubbing you want at our new and improved (under construction) camp.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the fruits and nuts. ;)

GeorgiaMist • November 13, 2009 at 8:38 am

Have fun and stay OFF the free way between 3 and 7:00 p.m.!

LC • November 13, 2009 at 10:08 am

Stay off the freeway between 3am and 2am. Truly.

(and yes, that is a 23 hour block of the day!)

Carolina Girl • November 13, 2009 at 10:32 am

I went to LA this summer thinking I would not enjoy it. But I actually loved it! You must take a drive out to one of the beaches. BEAUTIFUL! Have a wonderful time.

PS Craig Ferg. was only an hour wait in line, and WELL worth it.

Amy • November 13, 2009 at 11:03 am

Minneapolis says “Hi” back! :)

Ashley • November 13, 2009 at 11:11 am

I have a friend from college who was on Price is Right, oh probably almost 7 years ago now, and STILL anytime we are at a party or social gathering where there is ANYONE present who hasn’t heard the story of her being on Price is Right, she somehow manages to work in telling it. So yes, being on Price is Right is evidently like the story of a lifetime.

LadyCiani • November 13, 2009 at 11:55 am

If you want to run north on the 101 for about 30 miles (give or take) send me an e-mail and I’ll meet you!

Also, you should check out the Hollywood and Vine shopping center. It’s where the Oscars (Academy Awards) are held. And you can get on the LA subway there (and other places, but that’s the only one I know of personally).

Lainey • November 13, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Amway, huh? *raises eyebrow*

Have fun in LA!

Erin • November 13, 2009 at 12:15 pm

@LadyCiani – Actually, it’s Hollywood and Highland. Though there are subway stops at both Vine and Highland. It is great fun though!

Beth • November 13, 2009 at 12:20 pm

I hope you enjoyed what you saw of my fair city, Minneapolis, MN!!

Sarah • November 13, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Hello back from Minnesota :) good news, we are not iced over yet!

Trish • November 13, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Nutrilite products are great, I’m really impressed and can’t wait to hear from your expeience.

sherijung • November 13, 2009 at 1:26 pm

If you get a chance, try out PinkBerry. It’s frozen yogurt that actually tastes like yogurt instead of ice cream. There’s one at the Farmer’s Market, which is worth a visit, especially if you do end up at CBS to try to see Craig Ferguson. I’d totally wait an hour or two to see his show live.

Megan • November 13, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Wicked awesome!!!! I was just there for my first time ever about 3 weeks ago! My two absolute FAVORITE places were Venice Beach and Santa Monica Pier!!! The Trashy Lingerie Store is an interesting place to see as well, I would recommend it if you’re in Beverly Hills. And of course Grauman’s Chinese Theater (star cement footprints!) and I got some laughs out of how they were wiping up the floor after me as I walked around the Jimmy Choo store in Rodeo Drive. The only bad part is that the traffic sucks, whether you’re on OR off the freeway, so budget lots of time to get where you need to go. Have FUN!!!!

Aimee • November 13, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Have a wonderful time in LA! I love it there. If you get a chance– drive along Hwy 1…. you can drive along from Orange County up the coast. It’s gorgeous.

Manhattan Beach is a lovely beach town– as well as Santa Monica and Malibu. If you have time– Santa Barbara is gorgeous and only about 1 1/2 hrs from LA.

I also really enjoyed The Getty Center and the views of LA are spectacular.

If you get a chance– try some authentic fish tacos.. they’re the best!

Marshmallow • November 13, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Nutrilite (we have it as Nutriway down in this part of the world) is great – their products are awesome; I’ve been using them for a while so it’ll be great hearing your thoughts :-)

Helen • November 13, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Hey fellow Hoosier girl…if you need anything while you’re out here, this Hoosier transplant is ready, willing and able to help. I live at Venice Beach so I’m a little prejudiced thinking it’s the place to visit… ;-) E-mail if you need anything or want to drop by… :-)

LadyCiani • November 13, 2009 at 8:36 pm

@Erin – yes, that one! I knew it sounded wrong.

Penelope • November 14, 2009 at 12:06 am

I second Pinkberry!! YUM!!!!

For a healthy breakfast/lunch and STAR SIGHTINGS, go to Hugo’s (hugosrestaurant.com). Went to LA in August with a friend who is gluten free, so we ate at the one on Santa Monica twice and saw Gabriel Byrne one day and Sarah Silverman the next day. The third day we went to the location on the other side of the hill and saw Jenna Fischer (The Office)!

The Getty is awesome, as is Griffith’s Observatory.

HAVE FUN!!!!

Ang • November 14, 2009 at 12:10 am

Oh! Too bad the Hollywood Bowl isn’t open right now (it might be open for tours). That is a truly LA experience.

You should at least drive down Rodeo Drive.

It is a little chilly for the beach right now but whenever people come to visit, we take them to Paradise Cove in Malibu. There is a restaurant right on the beach and the food is pretty good but not too expensive. I think it costs to park but, really, most places in LA are like that.

I work for the city councilmember who covers Hollywood–I am the Hollywood Deputy. Had I known you were coming to town I would have hooked you up! A movie premiere is always fun but, I guess they don’t really happen on weekends.

If you do go to Hollywood & Highland, check out Madame Tussauds. It is new and amazing!! You could head over to West Hollywood and go to Canters Deli.

And, you should check out Disney Concert Hall downtown. It is an amazing building. If you take in an LAPhil performance, you could see our hot new conductor–Gustavo Dudamel.

So much to do! If you need a tour guide–gimme a call!!

Gee • November 17, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Looks like a good time was had by all.Hopefully my video blog takes off and I can make the next event.

Cheers.

Game of Thrones rape: Director Alex Graves says the sex "becomes consensual."

Runaway stowaway survives Calif.-Hawaii flight: FBI - CBS News
If this had happened in a movie I would never have believed it was possible.

Fitbit, Nest data: How the companies are making money off you.

Site Meter