Gone to Hollywood

Chinese Theatre

Hey, everybody! I am still in Los Angeles on the most anxiety-ridden vacation ever. First my bag got lost, now my leg hurts so much I can barely walk, and yesterday my rental car was damaged. Jetta vs. armored truck: armored truck wins. And no, I was not driving the armored truck. At least the driver didn’t think I was trying to rob him. No one was injured and my insurance will cover it, but I will NEVER go back to the Santa Monica Pier again. Oh, and did I mention that I missed the Mulholland Drive exit on the 405 and drove all the way to the north side of the Valley before I figured it out?

But then, when I checked into my hotel that evening, thirsty, hungry, and stressed out, I found this waiting on my pillow and on my desk:

Mints on my pillow

Water, peanuts and cookies

I nearly broke down and cried. Something small and simple like finding a nice little gift in my room at the end of a crazy-ass day did wonders to cheer me up. (Though I was cheered up even more by the guy at the Visa customer service center who told me they’d cover any damages my insurance wouldn’t.)

Other than all that hoopla, LA seems to be a rather cool city. I’m going to drive around and tour different neighborhoods today. I would love to get out and walk, but my leg will have nothing of it, so I’m going to stay in my car like all the real Angelinos do!

Chrissy :-) • November 16, 2009 at 11:02 am

Poor baby!! If it’s any comfort, I’ve lived here for years and still hate the freeways. The locals tend to avoid them completely – and there are some really cool surface streets you might enjoy driving instead. For example, Sepulveda Blvd. parallels the 405 from @ Santa Monica way up into the Valley; Wilshire parallels the I-10; etc.. They can be confusing too, but it’s a lot easier to stop & check the map. Plus, way more stores!!

ChrissyS • November 16, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Wow, what a trip! What is with the leg? Now I am feeling motherly concern.

‘k, feeling stupid, but can u remind me/us [as the gift buying season of Christmas is upon us] how to purchase from Amazon through your acct so you can get some credit?

Thanks.

Lainey • November 16, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Aw, I hope the rest of your trip goes better!

bethy • November 16, 2009 at 1:34 pm

PLUS you inspired a whole ‘nother person (a big one who doesn’t inspire easy) to start losing some ass and get a life. I’ve read your entire blog twice and look at the spin-around photos every couple of days. I started eating right two weeks ago (way easier than I thought, I don’t even want one of your Milanos because I’d rather have your ability to jump in and out of Jettas) and every day I want to tell you Thank You, Thank you very much.

Mary :: A Merry Life • November 16, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Try to have some fun, okay? LA can be a really cool city.

Tina • November 16, 2009 at 2:46 pm

What’s up with the leg? From the accident?

Glad you’re okay, but this sounds like the Friday the 13th trip from hell. The West Coast should be way more fun and relaxed than that.

Roni • November 16, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Wish I was still there so you would at least have a shoulder to cry on. :(

By the way, your hand held shot cracked me up!

victoria • November 16, 2009 at 4:59 pm

You look really pretty in that photo. And, hey, view all the stress as kind of a good thing: the worst happened and it wasn’t that bad, and you’ll still have a great trip, and the next time little things like a scratch on the rental car happen, you won’t sweat it so much.

Jules • November 16, 2009 at 6:43 pm

I’m jumping on the bandwagon of people who think you have the loveliest skin and photograph beautifully! Glad you and your bag were reunited as well.

PastaQueen • November 16, 2009 at 10:57 pm

@ChrissyS – The leg was sort of sore two weeks ago, but I’ve been staying off it. All the walking I’ve done here has aggravated it.

And just click on any of my Amazon links in the right sidebar or on the “I Recommend” page and I’ll get a referral fee from Amazon. Thanks so much for thinking of me! I really do appreciate it.

The Unnatural Mother • November 16, 2009 at 11:26 pm

You look RADIANT in that pic, so pretty!!!

LA does rock, say hi to my sister!! He! He!

Enjoy your trip!

Ang • November 17, 2009 at 1:34 am

I totally forgot to tell you to watch out for the characters at Graumans/Kodak! Last week, one of the five Spidermen got arrested for assault. Apparently it was a turf war with one of the other characters so no tourists were in danger.

But, seriously, we have a huge problem with aggressive characters! They are NOT employed by any businesses in Hollywood–they are self employed and essentially begging for tips from people who get suckered into taking pictures with them. There are two slutty looking girls whose characters I am not familiar with–they stand on Michael Jackson’s star so people have to interact with them in order to take a picture!

I guess when you are having a run-in with an armored truck and getting lost in the Valley, an annoying character is hardly something to worry about! Glad you had a decent time in the City of Angels!

Mari Ann "Fat Stomach" • November 17, 2009 at 3:28 am

You look pretty on that pic! I can see that you enjoyed your trip too!

Dee • November 17, 2009 at 4:33 am

Just wanted to let you know that (despite your headache, leg pain, etc.) you look gorgeous in this photo, as well as the one posted on Saturday!

Dee • November 17, 2009 at 7:42 am

Have you been to the farmers market? It’s awesome.

Adam @ turnupmyworkout.com • November 17, 2009 at 11:32 am

The Santa Monica Pier will get you every time. I am sorry to hear it’s been so hectic. Try and enjoy the rest of your trip, LA is a great city!!

Mom Taxi Julie • November 17, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Wow you aren’t supposed to fight with armoured cars ;o) Glad you are ok!

Mike • November 17, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I would recommend seeing a doctor about your leg… especially after flying. Bloot clots can form when you least expect them to. I don’t mean to worry you or take away from your traveling fun, but I even at my healthiest, I discovered a clot in my leg due to genetics (hereditary, as it turned out). Try to take those things seriously!

Shannon • November 17, 2009 at 4:16 pm

I have to take a second and tell you that you look awsome in that photo.

Cynthia • November 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm

I love Holiday Inn Express… those little things DO count at the end of a long day!

Hope your leg feels better soon!

Game of Thrones rape: Director Alex Graves says the sex "becomes consensual."

Runaway stowaway survives Calif.-Hawaii flight: FBI - CBS News
If this had happened in a movie I would never have believed it was possible.

Fitbit, Nest data: How the companies are making money off you.

Site Meter