Less than a year away

Yesterday was my 29th birthday (thanks in advance for the well wishes), which means a year from yesterday will be…the one year anniversary of my 29th birthday! Actually, this is more commonly referred to as your 30th birthday and while I know this is considered a BIG DEAL, I am not all that concerned about it at this moment.

I figure people freak out over their 30th birthday for two reasons: 1) They look at their lives and are unhappy with what they’ve accomplished or failed to accomplish. 2) They fear old age, illness and their ultimate mortality. As for number 1, I am pretty happy with what I’ve accomplished at this point in my life, so no worries there. As for number 2 – HA! Illness? Old age? We are old friends. We have drinks every Friday night together.

I am always befuddled when a 28-year-old friend of mine tells me, “I found a white hair today!” as if this is shocking information. I found my first white hair when I was 21, and my older brother started getting them in high school. You have a white hair when you’re 28? You are way behind the curve my friend.

As for illness – ha, ha, ha! Sorry, give me a second to – ha, ha, HA! OMG, I have had more medical tests performed on me in the past two years than many people will undergo during their entire lives. I fear not illness and aging. Turning 30 won’t bring me any closer to those problems. Turning 20 did that.

Chrissie • October 28, 2009 at 11:37 am

Happy birthday and many, many good wishes for the next year!

Heather • October 28, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Happy B-day PQ! 29 weirded me out a little but 30 was a piece of cake. I hear you on getting older- I’m actually looking forward to getting into my 50s since I hear that’s when most women’s migraines start to go away. Maybe when I get old I’ll be able to have a glass of wine or two again! ;)

TOWR • October 28, 2009 at 12:37 pm

I found my first gray hair when I was 24. Now I find tons of them.

I turned 29 in May. I told my dad, “This year I’m turning 29, and next year I’m turning 26!”

I meant it, too.

Happy belated birthday!

JEM • October 28, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Getting old is a part of life and I intend to cherish every part of it…getting older does not scare me…but I have to admit, the reason I fear my 30th birthday (10 months away.) IS because I have not met the milestone’s I intended to meet before my birthday. It makes me disappointed.

I have 10 more months to get closer though. :-)

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama • October 28, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Happy Birthday! You have endured so much and I wish you nothing but GREAT health and happiness for the years to come!

Healthy Eating

Tasha

PS – I am in the macaroni military ;)

Katie • October 28, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Wait until you get to 40… that is when you really start falling apart hahaha

Happy belated PQ!

Mary • October 28, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Hey, happy belated! Hope you did something nice for yourself. My experience has been:

– 30 was better than 20

– 40 was better than 30

I wish the same for you.

Jen • October 28, 2009 at 2:42 pm

First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

You’re a mere child. :-)

For myself, turning 30 just made life a whole bunch better. I was so flippin’ thrilled to be OUT of my 20s that I practically cried. It wasn’t a good decade for me.

So…here’s to being one step closer to 30!

If you aren’t having more fun as you get older, then you’re doing it wrong.

Allison • October 28, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Really?! I had no idea, but I figured you didn’t get gray hairs until like 40 or something. I’m 28 and have not found any gray hairs yet. I thought that was totally normal.

Now I’ll be super paranoid every time I look in the mirror. :D

Allison • October 28, 2009 at 2:51 pm

I became very curious so I went and did a quick look up and found this: “Typical gray hair first develops at age 34.2 +/- 9.6 years in Caucasians while for Black people the average age of onset is 43.9 +/-10.3 years [Keogh 1965]”

Perhaps I can hope to be 43.8 before I find my first gray hair? :D

lin • October 28, 2009 at 3:26 pm

My 20s were okay, but my 30s were great! My 40s have not been quite so much fun, but I am much more accepting of myself, which is good for my mental state.

Happy B-day PQ! You have a good mental handle on stuff, so hope things get even better for you.

Tanya • October 28, 2009 at 4:18 pm

I went to Vancouver for my 30th birthday, and had a blast. But then I decided to start counting backwards, so I turned 29 this year. :D

I’m 29 (okay, 31) now, and I’ve never found a gray hair. My mom is 61 and just started getting them. Ha ha! I may have lucked out through the magic of genetics (as long as I don’t get her craziness, too).

Rosie • October 28, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Happy Belated Birthday!

Shady • October 28, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Happy Birthday!

I turned 26 this summer and it was awful. For me it was the fact that I’m just going back to university now and won’t be done until the year I turn 30. I mean how many of my fellow students are using anti-wrinkle cream?

PurpleGirl • October 28, 2009 at 4:55 pm

@JEM – I’m in the same boat. I won’t finish my bachelor’s degree until after I turn 30, which is the only thing that bothers me about that birthday.

PurpleGirl • October 28, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Happy birthday, PQ!

Rahim • October 28, 2009 at 5:00 pm

First, Happy Belated Birthday. Second, just embrace it. Bruce Lee had a physical makeup of an 18 year old when he died at 33. Not to mention all of the out of shape teenagers who can barely run a mile. In my 31 years I’m learning everyday that age is really JUST a number.

Amy • October 28, 2009 at 5:04 pm

I was 29 when I found my first gray hairs. When I turned 30 I pulled them out. They have never come back. I blame them on a stressful job. After I quit that job things got better and the hairs went away.

I am loving my 30′s so far. I don’t feel even a little old. I feel like I wasted my 20′s and am now starting to live life to the fullest.

AquaMarine • October 28, 2009 at 5:14 pm

The way I look at it, for me at least, is that gray hair is far preferable to NO hair! Happy birthday PQ!

ann • October 28, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Celebrate every birthday and don’t worry about your advancing years. I used to worry about getting old until I became a hospice nurse. Getting old beats dying young and those are ultimately the only two options available.

MB • October 28, 2009 at 6:26 pm

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY PQ!

I celebrated the 12th anniversary of my 30th this past July. I still feel like a kid, it is just harder and takes longer to recover from staying out all night and drinking too much ;)

Hope you find your 29th year brings you good health and less medical issues.

Oh, and I found my first gray hair when I was in high school. I’m grateful my brother is a master colorist so I’m able to hide it well. That reminds me, I need to make an appointment, the roots are getting bad.

cindy • October 28, 2009 at 9:11 pm

I’m 48 and have yet to find a gray hair ~ good genes, I guess. And at 48, I am pretty okay with the aging thing… it beats the alternative, if you know what I mean. I realize, however, that I need to start attending better to my health and strength. For the first time in my memory I wasn’t able to do a physical task (open a stuck window) and was upstaged by a 20-something kid! Whoa! Just a little humbling… I still ride my bike and swim and kayak and hike, but everything takes a little longer (and a little longer to recuperate, too!). I realize if I want to keep doing these things through my 50′s and 60′s and 70′s then I better work harder at staying in shape, building muscle mass, and preventing bone loss. I got a very late start in the healthy living department so I am at a deficit and really need to take better care now, before it is too late. Thanks for the reminder.

Genki • October 29, 2009 at 1:18 am

I found my first grey hairs in my teens. I have more now at 28 but they don’t bother me so much. I don’t bother with dye and just live with it. Distinguished I like to say!

Raw • October 29, 2009 at 2:56 am

Happy Birthday! It is a very important thing to be satisfied with your own personal life if you are to enjoy it. I am glad you do enjoy it. Keep up the good work and never worry about the gray hairs. They just make you look more stylish.

Debbi • October 29, 2009 at 9:30 am

Darn, I’m so sorry I forgot your birthday. I had it on the calendar, too! Lame, lame, lame. Thirty was traumatic for me, but the other biggies I’ve experienced since then have been pieces of [birthday] cake! Hope you had a great day!

Ashley • October 29, 2009 at 9:41 am

If you lived on Mercury but still calculated your years by earth days, you’d be 120! Wow, you’re old.:-P I guess age is just a number after all…

Jen • October 29, 2009 at 9:42 am

My twenties were crap because I gained weight after college and spent most of the decade feeling terrible about it. I got my act together around my 29th birthday and my thirties have been much happier. I’m turning 39 this year and hoping that maybe I can be truly buff for my forties.

I like the Real Age concept because it focuses on the ways that aging is under your control, even though getting older isn’t.

Hopefully your headaches will get more manageable and you will start feeling younger again.

boots • October 29, 2009 at 10:09 am

@JEM – I felt like 29 was a worse bday than 30 for that reason. I woke up in a cold sweat the morning of my 29th bday thinking of all the stuff I just HAD to do before I turned 30.

And I did accomplish some of it that year, but honestly I turned 30 and felt silly for obsessing over that age as a “deadline.”

Quix • October 29, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Happy belated. I feared 30 with everything in me, and then once I got there, I realized that 30 rocks! I’m old enough to have some wisdom under my belt – but still young enough to do the crazy stuff. While I’d had high hopes of being something extraordinary by 30, I think that I’m doing pretty well for a mere mortal.

p.s. I found my first grey hair at 29. It freaked me right out.

Melissa Taylor • October 29, 2009 at 5:46 pm

I always relate to your issues! I feel like I fell apart at age 22, but at least I got it out of the way. :)

Ouida Gabriel • October 29, 2009 at 7:05 pm

First of all, Happy Birthday to you! 29 is a great age to be!

Second, the 30′s are a awesome period to be in. Even in the midst of going through depression I could see that this was a growing period, learning about myself and others as well as what kind of person I wanted to be. Granted the 20′s are this way for some people but I was playing catch up from living a life of hell before my 20′s.

In all honesty, I anxiously await turning 40. I think turning 40 has to be the greatest thing ever. Now if only I could have as much wit and sarcasm as you do I would be that wonderful sassy and witty lady who knows who she is! Wit and sarcasm are a give you know….

Ouida Gabriel • October 29, 2009 at 7:07 pm

GIFT, GIFT not give. This is what happens when 1 of the 6 children are talking to you while you try to leave Pasta Queen a comment…….

Wendy • October 29, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Me, too! It would be fun to wake up tomorrow with my 20-year-old body, but I wouldn’t trade it for the confidence I feel today.

My 20′s were hard. I worried all the time about what people were thinking, and it was exhausting!

(My 40′s have been even more fun than my 30′s.)

Suzanne • November 2, 2009 at 11:07 am

@Allison – plus or minus 9 years? That’s wacky math.

Suzanne • November 2, 2009 at 11:10 am

My mother always says, remember your body will age either way, so you can lie and claim to be 25 when you are 35 and people will say, wow she looks rough for 25, or you can tell the truth and have people say wow, she looks great for 35.

Patsy • November 2, 2009 at 2:05 pm

If I take after my mum, I shouldn’t find any grey hairs until I’m at least 60. :o)

I’m 40 next year and the only one of the group of us who are still friends from school, who is actually looking forward to it!

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine