It’s a small Runner’s World

I finally got my hands on a copy of the November edition of Runner’s World, so now I can scan page 80 and tell you all how and grateful and honored I am to be in it (though I’d be just a teensy bit more grateful if they’d mentioned my book or my blog). I was interviewed for the “How it Feels…” article back in July to tell people what it feels like to run off half your weight. I am pretty much over myself, so I don’t usually mention these things, but I’m really flattered to be included in the same article as people who have run in outer space, broken world records, and run dressed as a Porta Potty. (There’s an idea for my Run Like Hell costume.) Does this mean I’m real runner? I must be! I was in Runner’s World! (The full article can be seen after the jump, at the bottom of this post, by clicking “Continue reading” below.)

When the copy editors were fact checking the article, they sent me some information to review that was written all in the second person. It was sort of creepy because it made me feel like they were trying to brainwash me into being myself. “Your name is Jennette Fulda. You’ve noticed that since you’ve lost weight, people are more willing to make small talk. You run right after you come home from work on a trail by your house.”

Runner’s World must ship copies of its magazines to subscribers over a week before they hit stores, because at least two or three of you (plus my cousin) wrote me about it before I was able to purchase a copy. Neither Borders nor Barnes & Noble, nor even my local running store, had a copy until yesterday. That was all right though, because part of the fun was waiting for the article to come out, like waiting to open presents on Christmas Day. Oh, sweet anticipation! Now that’s over with and thanks again to Runner’s World for including me.

Grace • October 10, 2009 at 11:30 am

Super awesome! Now folks that didn’t know about your journey via your blog can see your remarkable accomplishment!

Adis • October 10, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Hi! I immediately googled your name after reading the “How it feels” article in this unsolicited magazine I got in the mail. Loved your blog, forwarded to a friend 1100 miles away, she loved it too and emailed you (she called me this morning happy that you had replied, very sweet of you, thx) :)

So you see, your book IS getting publicity, and you and your blog just got two new fans.

Keep up the good work.

Patsy • October 10, 2009 at 12:42 pm

You should be so proud of yourself! What a shame your book and blog weren’t mentioned in the article. Hopefully, anyone who faces a similar challenge will google your name and find them, just like I did!

I’ve just started my own blog… If you get a spare 5 minutes, please do take a look.

Patsy :o)

sephgirl • October 10, 2009 at 1:12 pm

I think your accomplishment is greater than running in space. You did something that seems more impossible to most people.

So exciting that you are mentioned in such a great magazine. And you are definitely a runner – not just because you are mentioned in Runners World but because you run.

Congratulations on the recognition – very exciting! :)

Lillian @ Losing Half, Gaining More • October 10, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Oh my gosh – CONGRATS! How exciting!!! I’m a new reader and it’s so inspiring to read your blog and see things like today’s post – thank you so much. Your hard work is truly inspiring:)

PastaQueen • October 10, 2009 at 6:15 pm

@Adis – Thanks for letting me know that, Adis! I’m glad you were able to find the blog.

Runeatrepeat • October 10, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Ahhhh! I read that article on the plane this week and totally didn’t realize it was some cool chick with a blog. Love it :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) • October 10, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Wow, that is SO cool!! Good for you!!!

Julie Yeshnowski • October 11, 2009 at 6:18 am

I completed my first 5K on Sunday, 4 October 2009 in 48:40. I ran the Susan Komen Race for the Cure in Omaha Nebraska.

I was challenged by my trainer to run but had concerns about my knees and until I heard ‘Ready, Set, GO!’ I was going to walk.

The sense of accomplishment I felt was unbelievable! Particularly since I am a life long asthmatic who just quit smoking about 5 years ago. I had only run outdoors once, most of my running was done on a treadmill and the farthest I’d ever run was about 2 mies.

I have lost, over the course of the last 3 years, about 72 pounds with another 60 or so to go. Whether or not I get off the last 60 is up to a ‘power greater than myself’.

Julie Yeshnowski • October 11, 2009 at 6:18 am

Kim • October 11, 2009 at 7:32 am

Congrats, Jennette!

That is a real achievement. Who would ever have thought when you set out on your weight loss journey that this is where you would be today!

Amber • October 11, 2009 at 10:31 am

I saw that article on Friday. It was a great piece.

Erin • October 13, 2009 at 1:31 pm

How in GOD’S NAME did I miss this?!!? You are awesome.

Kathy • October 13, 2009 at 4:17 pm

I dunno…it’s exciting that you are published in a magazine, but the article feels a little misleading. Like, one day you woke up and started running, and through that you managed to loose half your weight. Everyone who reads your blog (and/or book) knows that in addition to eating well, you used all sorts of other forms of exercise and was loosing weight before you were able to run. If I were just reading the article, I would give running all that credit.

Stephanie • October 17, 2009 at 1:15 am

Great piece! Thanks for sharing.

Fitbit, Nest data: How the companies are making money off you.

The Citicorp tower design flaw that could have wiped out the skyscraper: 99% Invisible by Roman Mars.
Glad someone figured this out before disaster happened.

Charles O'Rear is the photographer who took the Windows XP wallpaper photo in Napa Valley.
I always thought this image was Photoshopped, but evidently it's real!

Site Meter