Behold! The bananawich!

Start with a banana and some peanut butter.

Cut the banana in half both ways and smear with peanut butter.

Place the pieces together like a sandwich and dig in!

First impressions: The bananawich was tasty, but messy. Be prepared to lick peanut butter and banana goo off of your fingers. My banana would have benefited from another day or two of ripening, so I’ll have to try this again.

I found out about the bananawich from Skwigg, who in turn heard about it from The Fitnessista. Perhaps one day, my children, you too shall post about the bananawich and tell people you in turn heard about it from PastaQueen.

Vivi • October 9, 2009 at 10:34 am

yukkk!! Sorry, I can’t stand peanut butter. I could make a bananandwich of anything but that. Good idea though :)

Sheryl • October 9, 2009 at 10:58 am

Wrap it up in a piece of lettuce and it will be a lot neater to eat!

Grace • October 9, 2009 at 11:00 am

My daughter actually likes to banana-peanut butter in some wheat bread for lunch. It’s way less messy in the bread, which is a good thing when she’s at school.

gknee • October 9, 2009 at 11:25 am

Put it on bread and cook it like grilled cheese– the ELVIS special! yummy.

April • October 9, 2009 at 11:30 am

Another twist would be to freeze it and then cut into bite size pieces!

Lyn • October 9, 2009 at 11:34 am

I wrap those in a low carb tortilla, yummy.

kathy • October 9, 2009 at 11:56 am

I’ve been doing this for years! Yummy. My husband does this also but he puts in on homemade bread. He can afford it.

Mindy • October 9, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I eat this almost every morning for breakfast. If you cut a “V” in the top instead of cutting it in half, you can fill the “V” with peanut butter, place the cut out piece back on top and it is much easier to pick up and eat. The peanut butter doesn’t ooze out all over your fingers.

Also PB, banana and honey on whole wheat or whole grain…OMG heaven!

Leslie • October 9, 2009 at 1:40 pm

I do this with Apple Slices. :-) I am allergic to bananas sadly because PB & B was one of my favorite things ever.

NY,NY • October 9, 2009 at 2:22 pm

oh, I can so see a cook-book in your future!

blue • October 9, 2009 at 3:00 pm

i cheat and just put the pb on the outside. it spreads so much better there, where its dry and textured.

but then… its a slippery slope before the pb turns into way too much nutella… so i try to avoid it.

Maggie • October 9, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Couldn’t a lot of the mess be avoided by just eating these as open-faced sandwiches, so the pressure doesn’t squeeze the PB out of the sandwich?

kat • October 9, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Wow, and all of this time I’ve been spreading the peanut butter on top of the banana!!!! In between, in between!

Isabelle • October 9, 2009 at 7:09 pm

No. Simply don’t understand this peanut butter with sweet things thing. Must be too British. Salty with sweet? Wrong, wrong. (In my view.)

Esther Crawford • October 10, 2009 at 12:51 am

Now I’m desperately wishing I had a banana to recreate this little diddy with. MmmMmm

Emily • October 10, 2009 at 3:17 am

My little one loves these. You are right, it is a good lunch for little kids. However, we call ours “chocolate peanut butter bananas” because I drizzle a small amount of hershery syrup on it. :o)

NewMe • October 10, 2009 at 9:47 am

For months now, every morning except when I’m travelling, I have a slice of toast with peanut butter (no sugar, no salt, just PB) and a half a sliced banana.

Heaven.

Bethama • October 10, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Oh, my favorite. I’ve never bothered to make a sandwich of it – I just spread the peanut butter on top – but peanut butter banana on whole wheat wonder bread? Only childhood addiction that still enters my lunch rotation.

Seriously, though, first KFC and now this. Stop trying to redefine the sandwich, people!

emi s. • October 10, 2009 at 1:31 pm

@Vivi – I bet almond butter would be pretty awesome.

Rebecca • October 11, 2009 at 3:43 pm

I’ve always loved the combination of peanut butter and bananas. I have to say, though, that something’s missing from this post, and I believe it’s…NANNERPUS!!! Man, I miss that little bugger :(

@lingajones • October 11, 2009 at 6:40 pm

you can do the disks as tiny little sandwiches and call then banana douerves

Amy • October 11, 2009 at 6:40 pm

I just don’t dig fruit and peanut butter together. Fruit and chocolate yes, peanut butter and chocolate yes, maybe cover the whole thing in chocolate but still I’m not sure…

Pauline • October 12, 2009 at 10:59 am

I have tried this! It tastes cool. I like the mix of banana and peanutbutter!

You may try this also: plain joghurt, rolled oats, a banana in pieces and then put a teaspoon of peanut butter in the mix. Delicious!

Origins Of Mysterious World Trade Center Ship Determined | IFLScience
The most attention grabbing story ever published in Tree-Ring Research!

'Muffin top' billboard gets a graffiti makeover - Health - TODAY.com
I very much approve of this graffiti.

If Men Were Women - YouTube