Running season

Many people have been bemoaning the end of summer, but not I. Summer always feels too hot for me, so I welcome the cool relief of autumn, which is probably why fall is my favorite season. In the past few years, I’ve realized that with fall comes perfect running weather. It’s just chilly enough that I can run in a t-shirt and not become overheated. The sun isn’t beating directly down on me, slowly causing skin cancer. And unlike winter, there is still a fair amount of daylight in the morning and evenings giving me flexibility on when to run.

I like the fitness room in my apartment complex a lot. It’s much nicer than the fitness room at my old apartment, which was located in a carpeted room that looked like it used to be part of the lobby. The new fitness room has mirrors on the walls, more machines, and overhead fans. But whenever I run on the treadmill there I get really hot and sweaty. It’s so much nicer to run outside in cool weather because the sweat on my skin evaporates in the breeze instead of soaking into my shirt like at the gym.

I only wish there was someplace nice to run outside around here. I miss the trail! There is a little path near my apartment that is only 4/10 of a mile long which is sufficient for running outside, if also insanely boring. I have to run back and forth on the same stretch of pavement several times. Sometime people are fishing in a pond right next to the trail, so I feel rather silly running back and forth past them. I’m tempted to wave and yell, “Yep, it’s me again! I’ll see you again in about 6 minutes!”

I’ll try just to be happy that I am still running. I have a 5K in less than two weeks that snuck up on me. I’ll keep running indoors or outdoors and hopefully I’ll be ready in time!

Diane, Fit to the Finish • September 8, 2009 at 10:01 am

I’ve never been a big fan of running/walking indoors either. On our road, there are a lot of dogs, so I tend to run back and forth in front of my house.

I know my neighbors think I am nutty, but they also don’t know where I have come from weight-wise!

Good luck on the upcoming 5K!

Suzanne • September 8, 2009 at 10:20 am

As my kids to more activities I’ve learned to drop and run from the parking lot of the gymnastics place, the ballet studio, the library. A different neighborhood each evening. At least until it gets cold out.

I am the freaky sweaty mom picking up at the end of class. I’m also the 50 pounds lighter mom, so don’t mock me too hard!!

Mary • September 8, 2009 at 10:44 am

Have you tried mapmyrun.com to find some running routes nearby ? You can look for other people’s routes or just fool around on the map to find a route that is a decent distance for you.

I’m with you on the hatred of summer for running. I can’t stand (that is code for too uncoordinated for) treadmills, so I run outside daily, year round. My favorite is definitely fall, with winter as a close second. Summer is hot and itchy and spring is itchy!

Good luck on your 5K. Here’s hoping it’s better organized than the last one you blogged about!

Brandi • September 8, 2009 at 11:00 am

Good luck!!!!

Jess • September 8, 2009 at 11:16 am

I love running outside when it’s a little chilly – so much better than the HOT MUGGY Indiana ick that we’ve had this summer. At least it wasn’t as bad as previous years though!

Barb • September 8, 2009 at 11:55 am

I am also running a 5k in 2 weeks and I am a little freaked out about it. Just over 2 years ago, I weighed over 300 lbs and never whould have guessed that I’d be anwhere close to doing this now. I haven’t run for probably close to 25 years and I am finding that I’m enjoying it. We have a new indoor running track in town and it was my lifesave during the hot months of the summer. Also, my asthma seems to act up considerably when I run so I need to figure out how to work with that as well.

Quix • September 8, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I am so with you!! I’m so looking forward to running season here too! It’s still just a *little* too hot to run in the morning comfortably, though it’s doable unlike a few weeks ago. My rule is if it’s over 80 when I start the run, it’s probably better to take it inside.

I’m doing a 5k in 2 weeks too (just a little unofficial one). And during half marathon training, I looped my neighborhood a few times and would see the same people. I’m sure they thought I was crazy. At least the dogs got to know me. :)

Rahim • September 8, 2009 at 5:29 pm

I know exactly what you mean! Fall and early spring are my favorite times of the year for the exact same reasons. Summer’s too hot to do anything outside in the day, plus I hate getting the sweaty back in the car and having to take 3 showers a day. These are actually my favorite 4 months out of the year. Good luck on your 5k!!

Tiffany S. • September 8, 2009 at 7:37 pm

I’m with you. I’m all about the dip in temps, the changing leaves, the staying indoors with a fire in the fireplace. But I forgot about the RAIN. We had a lot over the weekend and, like that, summer was over.

Glad you’re enjoying your outdoor runs!

Dawn • September 9, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Good luck with your 5k. The road I walk I’ve started doing a double loop at end and I also feel a bit silly going by everyone’s house again but it is about getting it in. Hopefully everyone is rooting for us.

J • September 17, 2009 at 7:10 am

Hi,

I’m a bit new to running and am finding the dark a little er scary lol. I live in the North East and it’s really dark around 6am, and later will be dark around 7am. Do you have any advice on safety during running at these times?

Best,

J

Runaway stowaway survives Calif.-Hawaii flight: FBI - CBS News
If this had happened in a movie I would never have believed it was possible.

Fitbit, Nest data: How the companies are making money off you.

The Citicorp tower design flaw that could have wiped out the skyscraper: 99% Invisible by Roman Mars.
Glad someone figured this out before disaster happened.

Site Meter