In search of Orange Cappuccino

“Today is going down as a huge turning point in my life,” my mother told me recently.

“Oh, why?” I asked hesitantly, trying to remember if today was her wedding anniversary, divorce anniversary or some other anniversary.

“They’ve discontinued my General Foods International Orange Cappuccino!” She wailed.

General Foods International Coffees, Orange Cappuccino

I cannot remember a time in my life when my mother did not drink the General Foods International Orange Cappuccino. There was always one or two of the small rectangular tins on our kitchen counter, one full of the instant coffee mix and one containing drained grease. The tins were metal and wouldn’t melt when hot liquid grease was poured into them after cooking.

But now, just like my lamented Strawberry Shredded Wheat, the Orange Cappuccino is missing from the shelves of Target, Kroger and Meijer. When I visited the General Foods web site, they have a listing for Orange Spice Latte in the place of the the old Orange Cappuccino page. According to comments on this page, the Orange Spice Latte flavor does not taste the same.

I wish they would warn people before discontinuing a line of food. Then people could stock up and buy several cases in preparation of the loss of their favorite foods. Oh well! Farewell, Orange Cappuccino, I shall miss seeing your tins on my mother’s kitchen counter.

NGS • September 9, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Or they could warn us when they change the ingredients in our favorite foods! My husband has dietary restrictions (no gluten) and I’ll never forget the day we found out that Corn Pops had changed their ingredients to include “wheat gluten.” He was in the middle of a mouthful and I just glanced at the ingredients and yelled “STOP.” You just can’t take anything for granted at the grocery store these days!

Lyn • September 9, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Here, stock up for her for Christmas!

Diane, Fit to the Finish • September 9, 2009 at 2:32 pm

It would be nice if they warned people! Sometimes the cosmetic companies do by putting those silly stickers on the lipsticks saying something like, “Buy it now before it’s gone!” They make it sound like you should be happy that you are the only one left in the world that likes that color of lipstick!

I hope your Mom finds a substitute for her beloved coffee drink!

Kyle • September 9, 2009 at 2:46 pm

When my favorite eye shadow was discontinued everything was complete chaos. I didn’t feel whole again until I completed a search for a new and better eye shadow which I still use to this day. If they ever discontinue my concealer I will come back to Ireland and maybe consider jumping off the Cliffs of Moher.

Tiki & Kesey's Mom • September 9, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Try Big Lots. They’re usually good for discontinued items.

Tiki & Kesey's Mom • September 9, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Try Big Lots. They’re usually good for discontinued items.

Tiki & Kesey's Mom • September 9, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Try Big Lots. They’re usually good for discontinued items.

Tiki & Kesey's Mom • September 9, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Try Big Lots. They’re usually good for discontinued items.

Tina • September 9, 2009 at 4:08 pm

I was in love with GFIC white chocolate mocha. I loved it over ice and was a great replacement for my $4.50 starbucks addiction. The one place I could find it was Target and then one day POOF! it was gone.

My mother was a huge fan of their Cafe Francis. When I was little I thought it smelled soo good but I never did care for the taste though. You never knew what was stored in those little tins.. buttons, stick pins, bobby pins, dog treats.. the possiblities were endless.

ragtopday • September 9, 2009 at 4:18 pm

They discontinued the Strawberry Shredded Wheat!??! I stocked up awhile back when I found a great sale so haven’t looked for them in awhile – they are my favorite!!!

Quix • September 9, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Sucky! They discontinued the only tuna helper I actually liked (yeah, I know, unhealthy, but easy, and with a package of frozen broccoli in it, it was a nice filling semi-healthy meal). Then, I found it at Big Lots! :)

Lainey • September 9, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Lipton’s Sidekicks used to make one called Garlic & Herb Radiatore, which I loved, but one day I just couldn’t find it anymore. I even wrote to them, and they said it was discontinued, but they wouldn’t even give me a hint on how to make it. I still miss it.

And another thing, while they’re not discontinued, does anyone besides me remember how much better Reese’s peanut butter cups used to taste than they do now? I swear they’re totally different than when I was a kid. My mom says everything tastes better when you’re a kid, but I actually remember how different they used to taste!

Tiki & Kesey's Mom • September 9, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Try Big Lots. They’re usually good for discontinued items.

PastaQueen • September 9, 2009 at 8:17 pm

@Lainey – I remember seeing a story on TV last year about how candy companies were replacing ingredients in candy bars for cheaper ones. A woman who ran a candy blog was interviewed about it. That’s all I remember!

Rahim • September 9, 2009 at 9:24 pm

I TRULY know the heartache of that. I got to the point that everytime I discovered something I loved, it got discontinued or closed down. It got bad like that for about 6 months (true story).

Sara • September 9, 2009 at 10:53 pm

I shall scour the shelves of my local grocery stores and if I find any of it lingering about, its yours!

Deb • September 10, 2009 at 12:31 am

Story of my life: if I like it, it’s sure to soon disappear from the vast marketplace that seems to support so much other stuff I can’t believe anybody wants. I’m glad I’m not alone, though it’s no comfort to any of us, actually. I, too, wish there would be warnings. At least to postpone the agony. I guess we should embrace it and play, “I wonder which of my favorite things will disappear next?” Or not! And why would The Cheesecake Factory take a delicious hot turkey sandwich off the menu? Unamerican!

Kat • September 10, 2009 at 3:56 am

This was my mom’s favorite coffee drink as well. She passed away 10 years ago, but I am tempted to buy a can from the link above…

kat • September 10, 2009 at 8:20 am

My mother also loves international foods “coffee” mix. I forgot what flavor but I do know that growing up it came in one of those tins but it was red, white and blue striped.

Whenever we went on vacation she always brought a few tins with her in case the local market didn’t carry it (Often they didn’t) because we always checked. In some cases they would have it on sale for cheaper price than back home. In that case, we returned after vacation with the original tins she purchased AND a case of the tins from vacation.

So sad for your mom today. My mom would also be devastated!

Sheila • September 10, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I swear, I can never buy the same bra or eye shadow collection twice. What should be an easy purchase turns into a gut-wrenching decision every damn time.

Aline • September 10, 2009 at 1:46 pm

@Lainey – I tried my first Reese’s Cup about 4 years ago and was addicted for about 6 month. Now that I am living in the US I don’t like them that much anymore. However, if you ever find yourself in Ohio, try home-made buckeyes. They are kind of like Reese’s Cups but waaaaayyyy better.

Sheryl • September 10, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Well, I can’t say I miss the strawberry shredded wheat – I had to actually spit that out — it tasted like chemicals to me.

A lot of things like these, if you search them as an “exact text string” in google or yahoo, you’re likely to come up with a vendor, at least for a while after it’s not in the local stores.

courtney • September 10, 2009 at 10:13 pm

I just bought strawberry shredded wheat yesterday!

sarah • September 11, 2009 at 6:02 am

I found the orange! ;) we have it in our local store. ;)

kate • September 11, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Wow! My great-grandmother drank this all the time. I am sad to see it go. :(

PurpleGirl • September 14, 2009 at 4:54 am

I’ve just remembered that my grandma used to always have those tins on her kitchen counter when I was little. Strange how little things can trigger cascades of memories. :)

Dena • September 20, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Well, if they do get rid of it for good, Hills Bros has a NEW Orange creme Cappuccino. Perhaps that would work if the international foods one becomes impossible to find.

Stu • October 2, 2009 at 8:20 pm

I’ve had an orange cappuccino jones for about 30 years, like 3 cans a week. I’m not happy, but once I get over the craving, I’ll probably be better off. And I’ll probably never buy another freaking thing from General Foods.

Joseph Alves Jr. • October 28, 2009 at 10:09 pm

I too, miss General Foods Orange Cappuccino. The thing to do is to keep calling Kraft Foods and asking for it. Here’s there number; 1 800 432 6333 The bar code number for the Orange Cappuccino is; 0 430120 0 You can call them every single day if you like, and the more people who are willing to keep pressing them, the better.

Joe

Joseph Alves Jr. • November 17, 2009 at 5:00 pm

I’ve been trying to come up with a recipe to duplicate the Kraft Foods Orange Cappuccino Coffee and I’ve been able to come pretty close to their delicious coffee. They use coconut oil in their ingredients, so I bought some dried coconut and ran it through the blender. So here’s my recipe:

1/2 C. instant coffee granules

1 tsp. grated dried orange peel

1 C. non-dairy powdered coffee creamer

1/4 C. granulated sugar

1/4 C. blended dried coconut

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Finely grind coffee, orange peel, cinnamon, and coconut in the blender or food processor. Add remaining ingredients and process until well blended. Store in an air tight container. To serve: Put two tsp. of the coffee mix into a cup and add boiled water and stir. Add 1 tsp of honey and add a dab of canned whip cream, or a little Half & Half. Feel free to experiment with this recipe and let me know if you were able to improve it.

This recipe ought to hold you for a while until Kraft Foods realizes that they made a big mistake by replacing their delicious Orange Cappuccino with that Orange Spice Late crap that nobody seems to like. Enjoy!

Joe

Chris Bruno • November 18, 2009 at 8:55 am

Bought 8 @ Target a month ago….down to the last can & a half…is there a petition, SOMETHING? I’m 39 & I’ve been drinking Orange Cappucino since I was around 10 or 12….GOTTA get them to bring it back!!!! The replacement is nasty & bland…

Chris Bruno • November 18, 2009 at 11:38 am

Called into the 800 # Joseph provided & they basically read from a script…did offer me a coupon. Wish they’d just change back..”latte is what everyone wants right now” is basically what she said.

Sluggo • November 19, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Orange Cappuccino fans! My wife was also dismayed to learn that her favorite coffee drink had been discontinued. The nerve! After scouring the area (we live in Southern California) today I located nine of the precious tins at a CVS store (formerly Longs) on Paseo De Valencia near Leisure world in Aliso Woods. I left two dented tins on the shelf. Hopefully this will keep her happy for a while. Happy hunting!

Barbara Langham • December 4, 2009 at 5:37 am

Is there any way to find some cans of the general foods international coffee orange cappuccino anywhere????? My dad is 83 years old and has loved this coffee for many years. It has been replaced with orange spice latte and he doesn’t like that flavor. I really would like to surprise him with a few tins of the orange cappuccino for Christmas… Please send me a message at blangham718@yahoo.com if you know where I might find some of this coffee to purchase…

Paul • December 4, 2009 at 12:17 pm

BRING BACK THE ORANGE CAPPUCCINO AND GET RID OF latte orange spice.

Gene Gerringer • December 10, 2009 at 11:54 am

@sarah – If anyone can find cans of the General Foods Orange Cappuccino, I will buy all you can deliver. My wife loves this coffee and I am determined to find all I can. Thank you.

Tiffany • December 20, 2009 at 2:06 am

@sarah – you found the original orange cappuccino?

Karla • December 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm

@Joseph Alves Jr. -

Thank you from the bottom of my coffee soul. you are a god. you have saved the lives of my husband and children. Let me know if the recipe is further improved.

Karla • December 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Thank you for making this blog it has made it possible for me to have come in contact in with a recipe for the coffee. I feel your mothers pain.

Charli • December 24, 2009 at 5:40 pm

I was so distraught when I could no longer find my orange cappucino. I drank it the first time in a cabin in wisconsin dells when I was 14. My aunt and uncle introduced it to me.

Pam • December 29, 2009 at 9:45 am

@Joseph Alves Jr. -

Thanks Joe. I will start calling today. I too was an Orange Cappucinno fan for years and miss it. Have been searching everywhere to find it. Hate the new Orange Spice Latte…not the same. Kind of like the New Coke mistake!

Pam

Sluggo • January 15, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Orange Cappuccino fans! Last Friday I went to show my wife where I found the “Orange” – at CVS (formerly Longs) near Leisure World, Paseo De Valencia in Aliso Woods, California. Lo and behold, there were another 14 tins on the shelf! (I suspect this store may have a hidden supply). Life is good! Go for it!

Carolyn Gale • January 22, 2010 at 10:43 am

@sarah – Oh My Gosh!! I have run out of my stash of Orange Cappuccino! I kind of had a feeling since it was so hard to find that it was being taken from us so I stocked up and bought all I could find when I did find it but I’m now officially out of it! I am so sad and not happy with General Foods for doing this. I am alway amazed when something is discontinued that of course I feel is such a wonderful product!

Carolyn Gale • January 22, 2010 at 10:44 am

Sara. Where is your local store? I’ll have you ship me some!

Diane Goodrich • January 22, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Good News!! I called Kraft today and was told that they are bringing back the ORIGINAL orange cappuccino flavor with all the same ingredients in march 2010 and it will be under new name ORANGE CAFE. They received so many phone calls complaining about its dscontinuation they decided to bring it back! WOO-HOO!!!!
I used an awful lot of gas traveling around scrounging up cans here and there. What a relief we won’t have o dring that foul tasting latte anymore!

Rita Crabb • January 23, 2010 at 9:01 am

Thank you Diane for posting. I have been drinking Orange Cappuccino for so long it is hard to start the say without it. I was out and my local store had started to stock the “new” variety when I went to Germany to visit my son and his family in November. Found 10 cans in the commissary and promptly bought them all to bring back. Now I will be able to buy it again in March. woo hoo is right!
I did contact Kraft Foods and I too received a coupon. big whoop.

Cheryl Barber • January 26, 2010 at 4:38 pm

@Lyn – I looke dinto this site and they have a very negative feedback rating. Looks like it takes forever to ship. Have you ordered from them?

Stan Nathanson • February 9, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I am another disappointed advocate for ORANGE CAPPUCCINO.
The new Orange Latte is not the same at all!!!
What does it take to get it back in our markets?

cold turkey • February 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I feel so vindicated — there are others with their dirty little addictions to orange cappuccino. But, alas, there’s little comfort since our coveted coffee has gone kaput. The latte is leaves me longing. The froth doesn’t dissolve well and — pardon my indelicacies — it makes me feel bloated instead of satisfied. All I want is my one cup to start the day.
GF, bring back the Orange Cappuccino!

Emily Canter • March 3, 2010 at 2:55 pm

ORANGE CAFE!!!!!!!!!!!…….just bought it at Target..in Tennessee…
unadvertised…but label says: Orange Cafe: Original Orange Cappuccino Taste!!!….and back of can label reads: This creamy cafe delivers the same delicious taste as the original Orange Cappuccino flavor you have known and loved for years.
…………just had my first cup…on way to have 2nd cup…this was MY COFFEE FOR 25 YEARS…..I sympathize with ALL of you….hopefully you can find it……the sad/foamy orange spice latte was NOT on the shelf…SO maybe you have been heard!!!!!!!!!
Yes, this IS a General Foods International product!!!!!!!!

Emily Canter • March 3, 2010 at 2:56 pm

@Pam –
just found a brand new Orange Cafe…that looks like General Foods may have heard our cries!!!!!!!!!!…bought today, unadvertised!!!!

Emily Canter • March 3, 2010 at 2:58 pm

@Diane Goodrich –
am drinking it NOW….stumbled on it and about died…..I may never sleep tonight…have been starved for the flavor for almost 2 yrs now….

Jerry and Rita • March 9, 2010 at 11:46 am

I must comment for purposes of “closure”. We have poured this Orange Cappuccino down our throats for decades. It is almost like the government taking something away. Don’t they realize there are many of out here wanting to get our hands on some of this crap? I know it isn’t good for us, but we are hooked. We didn’t buy one or two cans at a time, we bought by the dozen which would last almost 2 weeks. Humm? I wonder if the store manager had something to do with this by not ordering it just to watch us on the security moniter as we freaked out in the store asile???
We must find something else to fill our cups, since they can’t runneth over with OC.

morgan • March 17, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Its back !!!!!!!!!

I was also missing it but they brought it back

No not the icky orange spice

Its called Orange Cafe and it has a little label on the can that says Orange Capp taste and it is !!!!!!!

Welcome back and just get used to the new name

Orange Cafe

Rita • March 18, 2010 at 10:15 am

is it really the same? I have to look now. No Target in my little town so I hope the major grocery chains will start carrying it.
woo hoo. I am excited! thanks for the followup. I found 10 cans in the commissary in Germany last Dec and shipped them home. worth the postage!
it is how i start my day. out to search for Orange Cafe!

Kate • March 19, 2010 at 8:09 am

You may have heard that, in response to the many lamentations about Orange Cappucino’s disappearance, GFIC was going to start marketing the product again, this time under the name “Orange Cafe.” Lo & behold, two days ago I found Orange Cafe on the shelf at my Target store (I live in Dallas, TX). Eureka!! I’m sure I don’t have the most sensitive palate around, but it sure tastes like Orange Cappucino to me! So if you don’t see it yet at your grocery store, ask your grocer to stock it, because it’s back! All is right in my world again, & I hope in your mother’s, as well.

bella kirchner • March 24, 2010 at 12:58 pm

@Emily Canter –
Where can you give me a location, I can call the store and see if they will ship me a case. I have two Target stores locally in NH and both do not have it.

bella kirchner • March 27, 2010 at 10:01 pm

@Emily Canter – Contacted customer service for Target and the e-mail response I received was they are discontinuing the product I do not understand tat at all.

bella kirchner • March 27, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Which store in Dallas. I called two of them and both said they did not have it?

Lisa • March 31, 2010 at 12:46 pm

@NGS – I too am very upset they discontinued my daily coffee that I have consumed for about 20 years. The orange spice latte is not good! I already have contacted the company, but if others can do the same, it couldn’t hurt.

Coffee Lover • April 4, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Have I got some news to all of you looking for the Orange Cappuccino. I FOUND IT!!!! That is right I know where you can get it. EBAY! Yes that is right EBAY! I found someone that is listing it. General Foods changed the name to Orange Cafe and then changed it all together to Orange Spiced Latte. They all have the same UPC. I checked it out personally. This guy or girl has it and is selling it on Ebay. I tried it and it is the real deal. If you want it head over there and get some. I do not know how many they have but they are the only ones on Ebay selling it. I am letting the cat out of the bag now that I am stocked up. Good luck!

Rita • April 10, 2010 at 10:47 am

Today is a sad day. I just had the last of my orange cappuccino and I can’t find orange cafe.
is it in the same packaging as the original product?
I am wondering if it is being test marketed in one region. I think I have to call Kraft again.
The older I get the less in favor I change I am.
ritathanks for listening

Orange Cappacino addict • April 19, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Just found the new Orange Cafe at Target in Kentucky!!! Yes it is exactly the same as orange cappacino. I am enjoying a cup now. As of last week they hadn’t received it, so our beloved coffee should be on shelves everywhere soon.

Bryan • April 25, 2010 at 9:41 pm

My Mom and I have been looking for this for 3 years,it’s an OLD family staple. I’m glad to know I don’t have to hunt for it at least,but I am bummed:(

margaret • May 27, 2010 at 2:47 am

IT IS BACK. I am so thrilled. Came home from work and found it on the kitchen counter, a gift from my husband. He hates coffee, but knows how much I love/crave this stuff. I have been trying various combo substitutes (vanilla bean + Starbucks instant) because I HATED the latte. ick. had emailed GF many times. Hubby found it at Target, Dublin CA. Oh happy day. It is the real deal. Elation.

Jerry • June 28, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I talked with Customer Service at Kraft today 6/28/2010 and was told that indeed Orange Cafe (Cappuccino) is back in production but not yet readily available. Orange Spice Latte however is no longer in production.

With a bit of sleuthing, I was able to locate Orange Cafe at drugstore.com. I’m awaiting my order with anticipation that it will be the real deal!

Diane Goodrich • October 10, 2012 at 3:03 am

Oh no……is it happening again??? Both Target and Walmart have discontinued carrying the Orange Cafe just recently. Do we have to go through withdrawal yet again???

Erin • October 10, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Um, it looks like this is not closed? I came here from your JenFul site (on my iPhone, if that matters?) and was able to post this. :|

Michelle • August 23, 2013 at 5:03 am

I am in a desperate search of my own favorite cappuccino mix, Orange Chocolate from Hills Bros. Cappuccino line. I’ve never been soo upset. I’m not giving up hope and just contacted the company asking where it went (hoping it has not really been discontinued). I also asked if it had been taken off shelves if there was any leftover in the factory or anywhere else and if they’d let me pay for any that might be left! I know what your mother is going through, it’s a much bigger deal than most would think! :’( -Heartbroken by Hills Bros.-

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.

The Man Who Smuggles Trader Joe’s into Canada