Hangin’ out at my pier

Jennette at the beach

I am at the beach! That is why I posted that depressing entry yesterday, which I actually wrote two weeks ago while pinned to the couch by the gravity of massive depression. I feel much better now, but on Monday morning I needed to post something, and that was all that was in my queue, so Bummed Out Monday it was!

I am in Nag’s Head, North Carolina, checking out my pier.

Jennette's Pier

You can tell it’s my pier because not only is my name on it, but it’s spelled right. I made sure the sign-painting people didn’t misspell it. However, Hurricane Isabel did a number on my pier a few years ago (more like Hurricane Is-a-Bitch), so I hired some contractors to fix her up.

Just the contractors

It will be 2011 or so before I can invite y’all over, but keep your calendars clear for when we open up again! And remember, you read it on the Internet, so it must be true!

Lisa@Picklesandcheese • September 15, 2009 at 8:41 am

The Outer Banks!! My most favorite place on earth!! Have a wonderful and fun filled vacation. Congratulations on having your own pier! I am jealous.

Larkspur • September 15, 2009 at 9:17 am

Heeeeeeeeeeey… no fair!

But I’m happy you’re better. Outer Banks are gorgeous. We were in Avon in August. Check out the aquarium on Roanoke if you haven’t already… it’s so pretty. There is also a great bistro across the street from the pier in Avon– great food.

Enjoy!

Elizabeth • September 15, 2009 at 9:21 am

Jennette, you look gorgeous!

Rachel • September 15, 2009 at 10:42 am

OOO! We are only a short drive from you! We go to the Outer Banks frequently and they are so restful. If you get a chance drive up to Currituck. The lighthouse there is wonderful and you can climb to the top. Breath deep a couple times for me.

Keeven • September 15, 2009 at 11:28 am

Owh! I wish there was something named after me as well. I love the ocean!

Chrissy • September 15, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Woo Nags Head!! Been sunburnt there more times than any other place on earth!

Love that place, have a blast!

victoria • September 15, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I just read you entry from yesterday, and it made me feel sad for the way weight management can rob us (well, women) of our peace of mind.

You have more than enough to deal with right now, just coping with the chronic pain, taking all your pills, earning a living, and making progress on your book. Just surviving, under these circumstances, is a huge accomplishment.

It’s not fair that you’re also expected to “get back down to your lowest weight ever,” as thought ANY weight regain were a “failure” (and not a nearly-inevitable event for just about everyone who loses a significant amount of weight).

I don’t know. I sort of feel as though weight loss is like housecleaning, you know? You might have, for one moment, a perfectly remodeled kitchen, a clean pantry, clean floors, clean closets, a clean and well-stocked fridge, working lightbulbs in every socket indoors and out, a completely weeded yard — but it will NOT last. Tomorrow there will be more chores.

Weight management, like hosework, just doesn’t stay done. For one moment, you might be a perfect size, a perfect weight, a perfect fitness level, but you’ll have to rest and eat sometime. Every day is part of this ebb and flow towards and away from “the perfect” body.

And, I kind of feel like, with all the crap you’ve got going on in your life? Expecting progress in the “towards physical perfection” direction is like expecting sparkling bathroom tiles from someone whose house is sliding down a mudslide.

Mercutia • September 15, 2009 at 3:41 pm

DUDE! I grew up staying at a cottage just down from there every year! My family rented it from a lady we knew and spent a week in June. It was heaven! I’m so glad you’re having fun and also that it’s ebing rebuilt! WHEEE!!!

Lydia • September 15, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Must be named after the wife of the politician or bureaucrat involved in dispersing the NC “stimulus” money. Sounds like it’s going to be really pretty. You’ll have to go back in 2011 when it’s completed and check it out.

ChrissyS • September 15, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Way cool that it is even spelled correctly (bc as you know there ARE many ways to spell your name.)

We’ll expect to see a shot of you on your pier in a few years.

Laura P • September 15, 2009 at 7:57 pm

@Elizabeth – That is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the photo of Jennette. She looks so happy and beautiful!

M. • September 15, 2009 at 11:08 pm

That’s awesome! I’m at the Outer Banks right now too! Hope you have a good week!

Suzanne • September 16, 2009 at 9:42 am

The beach has that power over me too! I can go from the saddest, most frustrated, stressed out, frazzled person to a zen mamma just by having my toes in the sand and the ocean to stare at. My zodiac sign is cancer – which is supposed to be a water lover. In this case it is true.

I can balk at the gym 10 days in a row, but walk for hours on the beach and love every minute of it.

I don’t take my kids to Mount Rushmore or any of those ‘educational’ vacations, but I am raising beach connoisseurs.

I hope you suck every bit of relaxation and rejuvenation from the salt air and head home refreshed.

Fitbit, Nest data: How the companies are making money off you.

The Citicorp tower design flaw that could have wiped out the skyscraper: 99% Invisible by Roman Mars.
Glad someone figured this out before disaster happened.

Charles O'Rear is the photographer who took the Windows XP wallpaper photo in Napa Valley.
I always thought this image was Photoshopped, but evidently it's real!

Site Meter