Settling into the new place

The best thing about moving is the magical time period when you get to imagine how much better the new place will be. It won’t have any of those problems you had at your old place, like the guy below you who watched movies on his surround sound system at midnight or the dishwasher that didn’t really wash the dishes. The new place will be perfect and amazing and so much better! This magical time period is similar to the honeymoon period at a new job when you have yet to learn the unique ways in which everyone is fucked up and how exactly the dysfunctional relationships between employees dysfunction.

I’ve been at my new apartment for almost two months now, and there is a lot to love about it, but I’ve also discovered the things not to like. For instance, all the neighborhood kids play in the green space behind our building and I get to see and hear them from the full view of the sliding glass door. People also walk their dogs there or just wander through the patch of land on the way to the dumpster. The people above us are evidently practicing for the 2012 Summer Olympics because I hear several loud THUDS from their dismounts every day. They are particularly noisy between 9pm and midnight, which is probably when they’re playing Wii or jumping off of bunk beds or just leaping around for no reason.

There aren’t many trees around the new complex, so every time I walk outside in the afternoon to get the mail, I feel like I’m walking on the surface of the sun. It’s so incredibly bright outside that I actually turn around to get my sunglasses if I’ve forgotten them, even for the short jaunt to the mailbox hutch.

All things considered, it’s still a pretty good place to live. I like having an office and I like the cheaper rent. But I also miss the perfect image I had of the new place before I found out all the little things wrong with it.

bobbie • August 11, 2009 at 11:37 am

Fantasy vs Reality. My husband and I learned early on to only rent/lease/own the top floor of anything.

Alas, as you said, one must take the good with the bad. Enjoy your new pad!

She-Fit • August 11, 2009 at 11:46 am

I hear ya with this post! We just moved… I am slowly started to realize all the bad parts of our new place. I do enjoy it though.

Leslie • August 11, 2009 at 12:05 pm

As usual, you are spot on, this time regarding just about every new endeavor that we undertake. It’s awesome until it isn’t. The people are saner until they introduce to us their inner jerks. I loved your “missing the perfect image…”. That reminds me of something I occasionally hear at AA meetings…euphoric recall, which is looking back to a rosy past or to the way things never really were but wish they had been.

I’m starting your book today after soldiering through you entire blog in June and much of July. I loved reading of your journey so much, and even though you’ve moved on to the bigger picture of your life, I’m missing the Jennette of the earlier blog days – hmm, euphoric recall? I’m at the beginning of my last weightloss journey, and you have motivated me, helped me and validated so much of my process that I decided it’s time for the book. Good luck with the upcoming 5K!

Erica • August 11, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I’m moving this Saturday, and my crazy anxious self is already dreading the loss of the fantasy. But, having a roach crawl around my feet while peeing this morning really helped me snap right back into it.

Andrea@WellnessNotes • August 11, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Oh, the honeymoon phase – it makes anything look better at first, doesn’t it??? But then again, we learn to love all these little “imperfections” in things as well as in people… ;)

Helen • August 11, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Ahhhh, the honeymoon is over. My mother always said the reason divorce is so high is that when people actually say their vows they hear, “better, health, richer.” Then they’re married for a while and “worse, sickness, and poorer” kick in. That’s where the real challenge is in ALL things… do you/can you stick out the “worse, sickness, poorer.”

Diane, Fit to the Finish • August 11, 2009 at 1:42 pm

There’s just no pleasing you is there? Just kidding!

When we moved in our house we thought it was perfect, and it has a lot of plusses. One negative was when we found out that the previous owners had covered up rot and the garage was in serious danger of collapsing. Not a good day.

FitFarmgirl • August 11, 2009 at 3:18 pm

I just wanted to tell you I’ve enjoyed reading your blog and cruising around your site ! Loved it ! I have lost 140 lbs and have about 15 more to go ! Love your website and your name Pasta queen :)

I am going to see if I can find your book at B & N or Amazon.. Can’t wait to read it :)

I also read your review on the BodyBugg… I am thinking about buying the newest version as it’s smaller. I had the large one but had to laugh when you said it was like having a pack of cigarettes in your shirt LOL.. Too funny ! Anyhow thanks for the great blog ! I’m subscribing so I can follow your blog :)

Have a great day :)

Jaime • August 11, 2009 at 3:18 pm

I learned to be pretty tolerant of noise when I was apartment living. Especially because I once had my downstairs neighbor call the apartment office and complain about me vacuuming.

At 4pm in the afternoon.

Sara • August 11, 2009 at 8:19 pm

We moved into our brand new house about two and a half years ago.

A full year of worry, wonder, agony over contertop choices, wood floor finishes, ceiling heights, light fixtures, carpet choices, paint swatches, landscaping, packing, moving….and then thousands of digital pictures and sleepless nights later it was all ours.

I remember that surreal feeling that came with living in this space, and I find it amazing just how quickly novel and new became comfortable and same old-same old. Interesting, isn’t it?

anji • August 11, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Hello! Are you able to set up something outside of your glass door that would give a little bit more privacy? Like, maybe a privacy fence thing or a hedge (but, using pots so you don’t wreck the ground or things like that?)

Good luck!

Rahim • August 11, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Congratulations on the new place. However I know what you mean. I grew up in an apartment and it’s the little things that can make someone completely snap. Stay strong! From 9 to 12, get a broom stick and bang on the ceiling while you play the classic Lionel Richie song “Dancing On The Ceiling”.

PurpleGirl • August 12, 2009 at 2:11 am

Ah, I remember that feeling. I had it when I moved in to my first house alone, and again when I moved in to an apartment two years ago. The apartment it never really wore off–it was truly perfect, and the fact that I had to leave still makes me sad. I never had that level of excitement about my new place, because it’s really a big fat step down. But I’m looking forward to that feeling again …. someday!

RJC • August 12, 2009 at 7:53 am

Hmmmm…noise above you from 9 – midnight…now WHAT could they be doing? Oh the mind boggles.

K • August 13, 2009 at 6:58 am

My husband wants to move, and I am a bit worried that he may be carried away by this feeling and then be disappointed. Granted, we could do with moving to a nicer area. But we both like the house itself, and the location is convenient if not highly classy.

What to do? We will have to move in the next few years, anyway, but I’ll miss this place. And my garden.

Quix • August 13, 2009 at 4:28 pm

I so do not miss apartment living. I never thought I’d want a house but now having one… it is SO NICE to have space and privacy. I was pretty tolerant of my neighbors if they were tolerant of me, except the last place we moved to in San Diego, people would just let their many, many children run around screaming at the top of their lungs. After a while I just started screaming back. I had snapped. So, so, so never want to live in that situation again.