OMG, I’m running a 5K in a week!

I had jokingly requested to my Twitter audience that we add a few extra weeks at the beginning of August, because I’m looking at the calendar and it says that I have to run a 5K in eight days from now. Aaaaah!!

I have been following the Couch to 5K program with, um, only slight modifications. During week seven they made me start running for 25 minutes without breaks, which I did except for that one day where I took a two minute walking break near the end. There was also a day or two where I didn’t run for the whole time requested because I tried running several hours after I’d eaten anything and felt like I was going to fall over and smack my head on the treadmill console or vomit on it.

Otherwise it’s been going rather well, though I admit I’m dreading the 30 minute runs I have to do next week. I think it would be more appropriate for me to have a 10 or 11 week program instead of the 9-weeks one, but the race is coming up, so oh well! I also find it odd that the scale says I’ve gained five pounds since I started doing this, which I will just pray is muscle or water weight or my 5-year-old scale finally losing it’s silicon-plated mind. My pants still fit, so that’s a positive.

Some of you reading this might have started the Couch to 5K program at the same time I did and now are berating yourselves because you stopped training. “I could be running 25 minutes now like PastaQueen!” Well, don’t beat yourselves up. Just start over. You can always start over (when it comes to running at least). When I went to BlogHer, I didn’t run for several days, but I picked back up again. As Nike says, just do it.

Just a reminder that you can still sponsor me. All donations go to the National Headache Foundation. Thank you to everyone who has donated!

Also, congrats to Deb from Maryland who won the Stonyfield giveaway and has already accepted her prize.

Kimberly • August 7, 2009 at 9:48 am

How exciting! You’re going to do great, and you’re raising money for a great cause. Good luck!

Lori • August 7, 2009 at 10:26 am

You’ll be fine. You ran a 1/2 marathon, remember? Just think, in 8 days, a little over 30 minutes and you’ll be all done :D

Then ready to hit the refreshment table (my favorite part!)

Jess • August 7, 2009 at 10:28 am

GL PQ! I’m sure it’s just muscle if your pants are fitting the same. I want to thank you for being such an inspiration to me! :) You’re the reason why I started running this spring!

Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit • August 7, 2009 at 10:31 am

5K? Pffft

I’m doing a 401K at my work.

Nicky • August 7, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I started the program last week, and um, I’m having a problem with the running since I haven’t run in 20 years or so. But I signed up for a race (to walk, thank God), so I’ve decided to modify the training and I do more of a speedwalking thing than a run. That allows me to not give up on the training and still work to get in shape. Anyway, you were the inspiration for this, so thank you.

Barb • August 7, 2009 at 2:18 pm

I started the Couch to 5k at the end of June and I am just finishing week 5. Some of the weeks I have doubled up on because I didn’t feel like I was quite ready to go to the next level. Yesterday, I was able to do the 20 minute run with only 2 – 30 second breaks for water (I find it too difficult to run and drink but I still keep up a fast walking pace). What a good feeling it was to finish that. I didn’t think I’d be able to do it as I had just barely done the 2-8 minute runs with a 5 minute walk in between and all of a sudden they want you to be able to run 20. However, I did it and I felt great afterwards. My 5k isn’t until September so who knows how I will be feeling by then.

Rahim • August 7, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Good luck on the run J, you can do it! One stride at a time and dont’ dehydrate out there. Think of the conditioning you’ll be in when it’s all over!

Amanda • August 7, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Couch to 5K is a great program. I graduated and am now working on 10K. Slowly but surely at my own pace. Good luck on the 5K!

She-Fit • August 7, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Whooo. You are going to do great. Hope you have a great weekend… don’t run too much :)

Diane, Fit to the Finish • August 7, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Ah – you can do it. You are strong, you are fabulous, you are great! Just keep saying that over and over and over!!!

Ro • August 7, 2009 at 8:26 pm

I believe you can do it! You’ve done so much in your own life so far and this is just another journey you will complete while helping yourself and others along the way.

Sancho • August 7, 2009 at 10:35 pm

I also found Couch to 5k thanks to you; I just did Week 6, #3 (the 25-minute run!) today. Right now I’m mainly annoyed that I feel slow (I used to be able to run 10-minute miles, now it’s more like 10-minute kilometers), but I’m also making a point of doing everything gradually so as not to trigger plantar fasciitis, heel spurs, or anything else that could conceivably leave me back on the sofa. My 5-k is in October, so maybe by then I’ll have built up more speed!

Kimberly • August 7, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Go PQ!!! I’m impressed. Even if you didn’t do all the running that the program asked, it takes tons of commitment to see something like that through.

I want to run a 5K next year. I’m taking baby steps right now in learning how to run.

skinnyfinch • August 8, 2009 at 2:52 am

Good Luck!

I just finished Week 1 which I was finding pretty achieveable but I resisted the temptation to skip ahead as it’s probably better to take things as they come. I run on the treadmill and I try to avoid thinking about the bits of my body I can feel jigglingly about like my stomach.

Julia • August 8, 2009 at 6:20 am

If I were you, ditch the idea of running for 30 min straight and go for a 3 x (1′ vigourous walk/9′ run). You will go faster than just running straight through…the important thing is to not totally disengage when you come to the walking part. Walk fast, not collapsing physically and mentally. I do a lot of my races this way and PASS people that run the whole way.

Julia – veteran of 29 marathons…

MB • August 8, 2009 at 10:14 am

I can’t believe the 5K is next weekend. Once again you’ve left me in the dust but I’m going to get on that C25K bandwagon. I think I may need to double it up to an 18 week program … I’m slow.

I love seeing my blog as the featured sponsor – what are the chances?

Have fun training. You know we’ll all be cheering for you during the race.

Rachel • August 8, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I agree that you shouldn’t feel the need to run the entire way. You’re doing such a great job sticking to this training schedule! I started C25K but promptly injured myself and have gone back to more gentle exercises until I’m lighter and/or fitter.

PastaQueen • August 8, 2009 at 4:11 pm

@Julia – Ok, I took your advice today and inserted four 1-minute intervals into my 28-minute run. I was able to finish! Yay!

Julia • August 9, 2009 at 5:21 am

@PastaQueen – Hurray! You can use this in racing too – Just do the 1/9 ratio. It’s really important to learn to go into the walk “actively”. Walking fast, using your arms, not collapsing or coming to a near halt. It’s just a little “regroup” moment before you start running again. You can race the 5km like this and probably go faster than you would running straight through. Have fun at the race!

Laura N • August 9, 2009 at 9:16 am

@Julia – That’s exactly the advice I was going to give. I like to run faster than my body can really handle for long lengths of time. So I run/take a short walk break with every run. I’m not as specific as 9/1, but I like that idea a lot, esp. for races. PQ, great job getting back to running!!!

Mr. Meltdown • August 9, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Best of luck to you PQ!!

Deb M • August 10, 2009 at 9:07 am

Hey thanks again for the Stonyfield prize. It arrived in my mail on Saturday!

Jenna Z • August 10, 2009 at 1:43 pm

I started the training program one week before you and I am FAR from berating myself! I am running 30 minutes this week and it is awesome! The only not-totally-awesome thing is that I am not able to to 3 miles in 30 minutes. Are you able to do the require distance as per C25K? I make sure to do the required distance at least one of the 3 days every week, so that I know I will be able to complete the 5K distance when I’m done, but I too am looking at more of an 11 week program in order to be able to do 5K in 30 minutes or less.

PastaQueen • August 10, 2009 at 1:53 pm

@Jenna Z – I’ve just been doing the time, and no, I don’t go as far as they require. I’m probably running a 13 or 14 minute mile, but it’s better than nothing. I’m hoping the excitement of race day will carry me the whole way.

Mary :: A Merry Life • August 10, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Oh dang girl! You will be okay though, you got skills! Hahah. :)

Quix • August 11, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Race day adrenaline will totally carry you! Good luck on your run!

larry • August 11, 2009 at 1:41 pm

I have been “attempting” to run for several years now. It is an awesome feeling of accomplishment. Keep up the good work. When I got injured I was able to get back on my feet through optimizing my nervous system. It was great. Running allows me to break free from the stresses of everyday life. Keep up the good work.

Larry