Two weeks notice

Two weeks and one day ago, I walked into my boss’s office, closed the door and said, “I’ve been doing some thinking lately…” which is when he leaned far back in his chair, as if moving out of hearing distance would stop me from telling him what he knew I was going to tell him. “I’ve decided I want to pursue freelancing full-time.” It is odd to think that speaking those words and signing a short letter is all it took to end a one-and-a-half-year period of my life. It is strange to know that you can leave your daily routine at any time you wish, and the only thing keeping you there is money or fear or comfort in the known.

I am so grateful for having that job for the past 18 months. It gave me respectable health insurance benefits during a period of medical distress. It paid well enough for me to cover my medical bills while also saving up money for this leap. I got to work in an office where my coworkers genuinely enjoyed each other’s company (most of the time). I learned a lot about web design and how corporate politics work (or don’t work). I benefited a lot from that job, but it was time to go and there was no use in denying it.

At this point you may be hollering at your screen, “PastaQueen, have you not seen the eleventy billion reports about the economy?! Do you not know that 9.7% of the population does not have employment?! How can you possibly dare to quit your job? Have you been drinking the crazy juice?!” Why, yes I have, and mmmmm is it tasty!

If you have read this blog for more than 5 seconds, you will know I almost never do anything without a plan, a couple spreadsheets and detailed graphs. I have looked at my budget and my finances. I have written a business plan with concrete goals, dates, and numbers. I have paid off all my debts, save for a student loan which has such a low interest rate that it basically accounts for the rate of inflation. I have saved up 6 months of living expenses. I have cut expenses by moving to a new apartment.

Most importantly, I have mined several freelancer friends for advice. They’ve told me about the ungodly amount of work it is. They’ve told me how scary it is to have no work one month and then too much work the next. They’ve told me that I will not be able to find decent, affordable health insurance. They’ve let me know that if I do not socialize and stick to a schedule I will find myself “pantsless at 3pm, eating peanut butter out of a jar and staring at the television blankly.” They’ve told me that this is the worse they have ever seen the business during their 10 years experience. They have told me all these things and still I have been thinking, “Sign me up!” I suppose that means this is a calling, though personally I wish I’d been called to be a rich lawyer or doctor instead of a poor writer/web designer.

This wisp of this a dream appeared in the back of my mind a couple years ago, and back in August of 2008 I wrote it down on paper and made it my secret goal, which drove many of you crazy. Sorry, I wasn’t looking for a boyfriend like many of you guessed, though a husband with health insurance would be fabulous to have right now.

Yesterday I drank a big beer at my going-away party and this morning I slept until 9:30am and now I am officially working for myself. We are three hours into it and it is going well so far. As I said, I have 6 months of savings, plus some projects lined up which will earn at least another 6 months of income. I’ve been building up freelance web design clients on the side and have officially launched my blog design company, Make My Blog Pretty. If you are in need of web design services, please check it out. I will be at the BlogHer Conference in two weeks, handing out business cards and hopefully generating more business. I am also looking for writing gigs that will bring in the cash, so if you know any of those, feel free to contact me. I promise to keep you updated about any other projects I contribute to in the future.

I also want to say, “Thank you.” If I didn’t have this blog which led to that book, and if I didn’t have all the support you guys have given me, I don’t know if I would have the confidence to do this. I believe in myself. I’m betting on myself. Five years ago I wouldn’t have done that. Sometimes people say weight loss is silly or vain, but losing all that weight taught me what it was like to make a dream come true. It taught me that absurdly great goals can be achieved. It’s made me the type of person who will run off to Europe because she feels like it and who will quit her job because she wants to do something else with her life.

I am relieved to finally be here. There was a day back in April when I sat down in front of my computer and looked at my to-do list which included:

• Work at full-time job
  • Plan trip to Europe
  • Find cheaper place to live
  • Work on a zillion freelance projects
  • Exercise and eat well
  • Maintain blog
  • Make business plan for freelancing

As I reviewed everything I had to do in those next few months, I thought I might collapse on my mouse pad and be brought to the hospital for exhaustion, like Mariah Carey or Jay Leno. “I have taken on far, far, too much,” I thought. But there was no stopping it. I couldn’t place anything on hold. Somehow I soldiered through and here I am on the other side, still with many things to do, but significantly less stressed about it all. If I have seemed a bit distracted lately, or somewhat off my game, that is why. I hope to pay more attention to the blog now that I’m not running off in a billion directions every day.

Now I am three hours and 15 minutes into my new career, and things are still going well, though I’m getting a bit hungry and will go make myself lunch. I hope I don’t start eating everything in the kitchen now that I’m working from home.

On the down side, I read an article announcing that tomorrow is the First Annual Freelancers Put On Your Pants Day. Sheesh, I’ll only be one day into my new career by then and already they are setting such high demands!

Mary • July 9, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Congratulations! Enjoy the ride!

Quick question- did you take the eurostar from London to Paris? Trying to make some plans for the fall, but 140 rt seems expensive.

Thanks!

PastaQueen • July 9, 2009 at 1:21 pm

@Mary – Yeah, but it only cost $89. The cheap seats fill up first, so the sooner you book the better chance you have to get a lower price.

Nancy • July 9, 2009 at 1:25 pm

This is such an exciting thing! This is the right time to do it, when its all about you, not you and your family…do make sure to get health insurance lined up asap(unless you plan to do Cobra- then you have some time).

Congratulations!

Erica • July 9, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Wow! That is big, exciting news. You are kind of awesome, and I can’t wait to see what comes next. (Love the “fairy” thing!)

Rachel • July 9, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Way to go!! (this is my first time commenting, but I have been following your blog for a while now and thoroughly enjoy each post!)

You have the courage that many do not and the planning and discipline to make it happen. You will not be disappointed!

I started working from home in February after working at my corporate job for 9+ years (by my own choice as well) and am the happiest I’ve been for at least several years. Yes, I make less money but the trade off is huge, in my opinion.

Congratulations again!

p.s. I find I actually eat less working from home because I’m not down in the dumps from being in a cube all day. :)

cloudy • July 9, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Go for it, live the dream! Daytime TV is the bomb!

Gemfit • July 9, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Congrats and good luck. I’ll be doing the same thing – taking that mighty leap – come October when I’m chucking in my job, my life and my apartment to move to New Zealand to be with my fiance. Aint life scary and aint life grandly exciting?

Anne • July 9, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Awesome! You had a dream that became a goal that required plans and strategies which you followed through on – and now you’re in a new place that will be exciting and scary but totally yours. Have FUN with it!

Sarah Fowler • July 9, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Congratulations!! I began freelancing (marketing consulting/project management) six months ago and it’s just as wonderful as you think it will be and just as horrible as your friends say- just like mine did. :-)

The thing I love most about working for myself is that work revolves around my life instead of my life revolving around work. It’s a huge difference.

Best of luck, and when my clients need awesome blog designs I will put you at the top of the recommendation list!

Amy • July 9, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Congratulations! That is such a big step and I’m sure you’re going to rock it!

The nice thing about working from home is that you can go exercise (almost) whenever you feel like it! woo!

Best of luck & have fun with it.

wyn • July 9, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Congratulations!

I really admire how you’re such a brave woman and what’s you’ve outlined as your accomplishments makes me feel a twinge of bravery but I’ll just read about your exploits.

Victoria • July 9, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Congratulations! It’s a very brave thing to do, but it sounds like you’ve thought it through!

I’ve been home most of the summer studying for the bar exam, and I must say, it can be a challenge keeping to a schedule. However, it’s great to make lunch at home (either b/c then you can make a complicated but awesome salad that you’d never pack, or you can have a chips and homemade guacamole lunch). Best to luck and I look forward to reading more about your journey!

DanaDanger • July 9, 2009 at 1:45 pm

It sucks not having you here anymore. But like I said earlier this week, I am insanely jealous.

And I think tomorrow should also be Non-Freelancers Take Off Your Pants Day. I’ll lead the charge.

Lisa • July 9, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Congratulations, I am hugely jealous! I would love to work for myself and say goodbye to office politics. I don’t mind the work, just the unnecessary drama.

And I have to disagree with the person who said daytime TV rocks. I’ve always thought daytime TV was designed to punish the unemployed. Find some good stuff to record so you have it during daytime downtimes.

Jill • July 9, 2009 at 2:06 pm

How exciting PQ!!

Do you realize that you have already done several things that most people only dream about doing?

What’s next? POTUS???? ;)

Kim • July 9, 2009 at 2:10 pm

This is the first time I’ve been truly happy and excited for a person I don’t know :) I’ve been toying with the idea as I’ve been laid off, but it’s still scary, even with the relative security of the unemployment check. Congrats!!

Ro • July 9, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Congrats on your site! It looks nice. I know you’ll be successful in it. You’ve done so much for yourself already. I think there’s a lot of people who would love to work from home. I know I would.

Kat • July 9, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Congratulations! You are an amazing woman, and a total inspiration!

Deb • July 9, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Best wishes for success in this new chapter of your life. I took a similar plunge several years ago and have never regretted it or looked back. I think you’ve already done much of the hard work — planning, saving, budgeting, lining up work — and of course, resigning from your prior employment. I’m not nearly as organized as you are, and find that attending to the administrative details — such as billing and filing and stuff like that — are not my strengths. These aspects of operating your business are equally important to the quality product that you undoubtedly will create for your current and future clients. Hopefully, current clients will spread the word so that you’ll never want for work. One last thing — I’m a fairly solitary person and did not mind working from home but nonetheless found that I had to schedule lunches and other outtings in order to avoid being completely isolated and only in touch with friends through electronic and virtual means. Best of luck!

Tina • July 9, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Congratulations! The new site looks great–love the magic wand and your first guiding principle.

If the economy continues to tank, companies will lay off all their full-timers and rely on freelancers. The newspaper industry is already doing that.

MB • July 9, 2009 at 2:37 pm

WOW! Congratulations! I wish I had the courage to leave the job I hate.

I have no doubt you will be a huge success. I look forward to hearing about your pantsless work days. ;)

Penelope • July 9, 2009 at 2:37 pm

PQ – You continue to inspire!

CONGRATULATIONS on your big move! Super exciting!! When I start paying attention to my Goal List, eventually I’ll get to the point where you can develop my webpage! More business!

Tara • July 9, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Congratulations!

Dawn • July 9, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Congrats!!! I’m sure you’ll do just fine. Sorry you have to wear pants tomorrow lol.

Karen • July 9, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Brava!!

No way would you make a move this big without very, very careful planning and a lot of detail and number-crunching beforehand.

I congratulate you and applaud you for taking a leap of faith and investing in yourself. Lots and lots of positive juju and good wishes being sent your way!

Sara • July 9, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Congratulations, brave lady! I’m so excited for you!

Vicky • July 9, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Congratulations :) I’m so pleased for you. And really admire you for turning your dream into a reality.

Wishing you all the very best with it.

Debra • July 9, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Good luck on your new venture. I’m sure you will be very successful!

The Tutugirl • July 9, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Congratulations! That’s wonderful!

Rachie • July 9, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Congratulations! From one freelancer to another, welcome into the pool! Sounds like you have a very realistic and accurate view of what freelancing is like. I’ve been watching the calendar, waiting with great anticipation for July 31, which will mark the one-year anniversary of the day I walked away from my job and into my new life as a freelancer. Even with the worry (no work then too much work is a dead-on description of a freelancer’s life) and no health insurance, I’ve never been happier. I’m so glad that you’ve been able to make this happen for you. Sleeping until 9:00 every day can do wonders for your overall attitude.

As for not wearing pants… Well, let me just say that aside from keeping on schedule with work, my only other goal for this week was to shower and get dressed every day. So far, so good. (It’s amazingly liberating to be able to answer your door or go get your mail because you’re actually wearing clean clothes and a bra. :) )

As for now being a bad time to start a freelancing career, I honestly think now is the perfect time. If you can succeed *now* while the economy is bad, imagine how well you’ll do once things pick up again!

But now I’m just rambling. Congratulations!! I’m so happy for you, and you deserve it!

ragtopday • July 9, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Wow! You are my hero! I wish I were as brave as you and had the skills and foresight you do. I would love, love, love to do something for myself, especially in these uncertain economic times. But I’m afraid – I’m a single mom to 2 young daughters and I worry that if I failed, they would end up suffering the most. But you inspire me to map out a plan, so when they are a little older, I might be in a position to take such a leap.

Best wishes for your first week wearing pants!

Katy • July 9, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Congratulations! I would love to make that leap but am too chicken! I’m sure I don’t have as good as preparation and planning skills as you! You do great work and as soon as I have some money and an actual idea of what my blog is about…I will contact you to give me a blog makeover!

Lori • July 9, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Good luck! Being an entrepreneur myself, the positives definitely outweigh the negatives if that is the personality style you have. Nothing beats working for yourself.

jennywenny • July 9, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Totally awesome! Congratulations and good luck, I hope it goes well for you. A lovely girl I know is a freelancer, here in san diego:

I’ll be looking to follow a different path to you, but I’m starting to work on my ‘secret goal’ which really isnt very secret at all. Wish me luck!!

Stephanie • July 9, 2009 at 3:50 pm

YAY for ignoring the eleventy billion silly reports! I’m so excited for you!

fd • July 9, 2009 at 3:58 pm

brilliant! go you!! congratulations and you can so do this.

and your organisation skills and discipline and and common sense and all that… basically all the thigns that will make this work for you, i find both inspiring and intimidating in equal measure.

Quix • July 9, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Oh my goodness – congrats! I love your business model and the site in general, it’s really cute and approachable. I’m not scared of it. I could see a lot of people who want a nifty looking blog up and running just for personal blogging purposes dropping the 90 bucks. Most sites seem to deal with only the high end stuff so I think that will be awesome for you!

Agreed with a lot of the commenters – I would love to be able to freelance, but I’m both #1 scared of not having a steady income and #2 not sure I have any experience with anything that would be freelance-able. But this sitting in an office 40+ hours a week even on weeks I have 20 hours or less of work to do…sucks. Can’t complain because the alternatives suck even worse (60+ hour work weeks or not having a job), but still, it drives me nuts.

Johanna • July 9, 2009 at 4:14 pm

@Rachel – That’s the very reason why I eat too much. Whenever I’m at home I’m just fine, but at work… What else is there to do?!

Sara • July 9, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Huge congrats – and I wish you a lot of success! Kudos for following another dream – and I hope your new office mates (the kitties) enjoy your presence, too! ;)

somechick • July 9, 2009 at 4:40 pm

I’m a fan of your blog who just wants to let you know that you are an inspiration. For the sake of insurance I must curently stay employed, but I plan to be an entrepreneur as soon as independent insurance becomes an option.

As I’ve been researching online businesses, I’ve seen over and over that one way to draw in income is to sell “how to” or “helpful tips” e-books or e-pamphlets for download. Have you considered that? Seeing as how you are into fitness and entrepreneurship, two topics I enjoy, I’d certainly be interested.

Best of luck to you! iSi se puede!

PurpleGirl • July 9, 2009 at 4:42 pm

PQ, you are amazing! I hope your freelancing is a major success.

Jean • July 9, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Congratulations. I believe that freelancers can thrive in this economy, if they’re worth their salt. Companies can’t afford to keep employees – pay their SS, insurance, 401(k), etc. They can hand you a check, and YOU have to worry about all of that!

It sounds like you have planned for this as well as you can – unlike some people who I think just decide that they don’t want to get up & go into work in the mornings. I’m sure that you will succeed – sounds like the timing is perfect for you.

Lisa • July 9, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Congratulations and Good Luck!! This is exciting news. You are brave and inspiring and I am sure that success will be yours. I love your level headed approach to making things happen.

Lainey • July 9, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Way to go! I am always shocked by how many people stay in jobs they hate due to comfort. I always got this advice when I wanted to quit a job: “Make sure you have something else lined up first!” And I always thought, “What? When else am I going to get a break!?” So needless to say I never did get anything else lined up first.

Even my husband wrote me a text message today and told me that if I was working, he would have told his boss to f*ck off. He’s worked there for about 20 years, and he takes A LOT. I told him we have enough money to pay our bills for a year, but I still don’t think he’ll leave his comfort zone. So I suggested he start “feeling out” people he knows who might know of a job he can apply for. I hope he does.

HugeMD • July 9, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Congrats, PQ. With what you’ve already accomplished, I’ve no doubt you’ll succeed at this, too. Have fun! Keep us up to date. Sometimes I wish I’d been called to be a writer or web designer or coffee roaster or something–the grass isn’t always greener. I’m glad you’re doing something you love!!

Megan • July 9, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Congrats! I have been freelancing as a science and medical writer for almost four years now, with a brief stint at a medical communications company to get more experience. I love it and I have never regretted my decision in any way. The value of following your own nose and doing what you are interested in cannot be underplayed. And I’m making more money than at any of my regular jobs!

And when I get serious about my website – you are on! (If you’re not already booked up, that is.)

Best of luck!

logtar • July 9, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Congratulations on your new life, I am very happy for you.

Sara • July 9, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Congratulations! You are my hero today. I have been thinking about looking for some freelance writing work as well, and you’ve inspired me a little bit more!

Kat • July 9, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Congratulations. If I hear of any writing gigs I will let you know! I think you are going to be very successful!

Candice • July 9, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Awesome! Congratulations! What a bold and super move – way to take life by the horns and hop on for the ride. I wish you the best!

Hilary • July 9, 2009 at 6:40 pm

The tone/design of your business site is so winsome and inviting! Hurray for your new venture! (I’m raising a virtual glass of bubbly to the enterprise.)

KateG • July 9, 2009 at 7:23 pm

Go You! Congrats and best wishes for your new venture.

lulu • July 9, 2009 at 7:29 pm

How exciting! Every good wish.

cleofaye • July 9, 2009 at 7:49 pm

I’m so impressed! I would love to be able to freelance and everytime I hear of someone who does, I’m jealous. I’m so glad we in the blogosphere had even a remote hand in helping.

BrightAngel • July 9, 2009 at 9:32 pm

My best wishes for your success.

Katharine • July 9, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Yay! Go for it, woman! I went solo 14 years ago and am still wildly happy about it. I’ll go back to being an employee when dinosaurs rise again.

Your new web site is snazzy, your prices look great, and I’ll be recommending your services on several large e-mail lists for editorial freelancers.

cindy • July 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Woo-hoo! How exciting! Rock your world…

Sonya • July 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm

You go, Girl!!

So proud of you… if that’s possible for someone you’ve never met. *grin* You’re gonna kick arse and take names. I just know it!

Lydia • July 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Good luck, PQ. You’re going to do just fine.

jdm • July 9, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Congratulations! You have done so very much to become the person you used to dream of being. You’re truly an inspiration.

I like your business site very much–it’s clear, friendly, and I think targeted at exactly the people you want to be your clients. Good luck.

Amy • July 9, 2009 at 11:37 pm

Best of luck to you…and is the job you left looking to fill your position? :)

Chris • July 9, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Congratulations! I did the work from home thing a year ago, after being with my company for 10 years, and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done.

becky • July 10, 2009 at 1:11 am

Congrats on making your dream come true! I told my husband tonight at dinner I wanted to move to a nice piece of land in California where we grow pretty much every thing we eat and I want to be barefoot and make blueberry muffins all day. He told me to stop dreaming cause there was no money in living off the land:) Either way best wishes on a very successful venture and making your dreams a reality!

Kim • July 10, 2009 at 5:36 am

Congrats to you!! There is no doubt in my mind you will be successful!

Krista • July 10, 2009 at 5:40 am

@Jill – You cracked me up big time! POTUS, hey why not? PQ could do it. I would vote for her, for sure.

Lisa • July 10, 2009 at 7:09 am

You. Rule.

I am so glad I happened upon this web site all those months ago. Best wishes! I predict you’re gonna make a pile of money. All my husband’s friends who freelance have.

Benita • July 10, 2009 at 7:36 am

Three and a half years ago, my husband, Scott Story, and I made the same decision you did and he quit his full-time job to become a free-lance artist, to work on our comic, Johnny Saturn, and any other art jobs he can get. He’d had a couple of great years and one sucky one, due to the recession, but this year is getting better and already has surpassed the last in income.

Dear, he has never looked back and we have NEVER regretted this decision. He has never been happier, even though his “work day” is more like 12-15 hours long rather than 8, because he is doing something he enjoys.

I wish you the best of luck, and if you need any artwork, let me know. I know this really great artist…

Marty Bird • July 10, 2009 at 8:20 am

Congratulations on your decision!

Pam • July 10, 2009 at 8:28 am

Mazel Tov!

lirpa • July 10, 2009 at 8:32 am

Wow, this is huge! Congratulations and best of luck. Since all your freelancing friends already warned you about all the pitfalls and tried to talk you out of it… i won’t. :)

My only piece of advice is this: don’t listen to those people telling you to watch t.v.! Don’t turn it on, even for a minute! it will suck you in! TV is the EVIL ENEMY of us work at home folks. In fact, i highly recommend just completely getting rid of cable. We did, and have never regretted it. We still have netflix, so we watch a movie or t.v. show on dvd in the evenings together, but it is controlled portion control, something i truly need in every area of my life. just my two cents.

flylady was a big help to me in learning discipline sticking to a routine, i.e. getting dressed to the shoes, etc. Something as simple as putting my shoes on each day was huge for me. Changes my whole day once those shoes are on. It tells my body and my mind that it’s not time to relax. it’s time to get to work.

o.k., i’m done. sorry if that was soap box-y. i think you are incredibly brave and you’ve gone about this in a very logical and intelligent way. highly impressed with the 6 months of income saved. well done! best of luck with your new business venture.

susan • July 10, 2009 at 9:21 am

Awesome! Good luck to you.

Katieinthemountains • July 10, 2009 at 10:19 am

I may be a random lurker, but I am really proud of you. Look how far you’ve come since you started this blog (which was already a huge step) – you’re so confident now! Best of luck!

coraspartan • July 10, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Congrats! I have no doubt you will be successful–you have a good head on your shoulders and, most importantly, a plan.

I actually am a lawyer–but not a rich one, unfortunately. I have had virtually no work lately so every day I come in and sit here, waiting to get laid off–it is torture. I am trying to expand my practice areas and take advantage of free seminars while I’m still employed so that if/when that layoff occurs, I will be ready to strike out on my own. I think the first few years will be financially painful, but once I can get a good referral base going I should be good to go and it will be BLISS to set my own hours!

Good luck PQ!

Liz D. • July 10, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Ok so I know you don’t need my kudos, but I want to offer it to you. I think you have done a great thing by putting so much of yourself in the public eye, but not in a drama way (ie Paris Hilton) but in the maybe what I know/do/think would be of interest/benefit to others. And it is! Your weight loss journey was amazing, hilariously documented, and entirely inspirational. Your blog is one of the few I bother to RSS and then actually keep up with. And I am getting excited about the prospect of you having another book because your words are your gift.

So I am hoping really hard that this works out for you and the kitties and that life can be fair sometimes and that you will be as fulfilled as you hope to be.

Just keep blogging – we love to read it!

Sandy • July 10, 2009 at 3:25 pm

You have truly inspired me. Truly.

Thank you so much.

Amy P • July 10, 2009 at 4:07 pm

You are definitely an inspiration. You made me go and create a list of goals for my life. I have never had a list of goals before and it is far past time for that. Good luck and Good wishes.

Just think of all the time you will get to spend with your kitties now. They will probably go crazy now with you there all day long!

Ellen • July 10, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Oh, HELL YEAH!! This is so awesome, PQ!! Way to go on getting out of the rat race and controlling your own income. Seriously, even though workload may ebb and flow, there may be feast and famine times, YOU are the boss now. You will never again have anxiety over the next rounds of layoffs, furloughs, etc. You will never have to figure out office politics or hope you didn’t say or do something accidentally that could get you fired. Seriously, so awesome! Psyched for you :) :) My hubby and I have the very same goal, with a timeline of 10-12 months down the line, so I will be eager to keep hearing how your change is going!

Eva • July 10, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Can I just say I am so envious of you…I know all this came after a lot of hard work but you are fulfilling your dreams and its so rare to get the gift and chance to actually fulfill them..

Congratulations..

Danielle • July 11, 2009 at 4:40 pm

I admire you so much. From the beginning of your journey, you put yourself first and considered your needs paramount to everything else. I have only recently started doing that and have accomplished many of my goals, but my last remaining two “to-do’s” are to lose weight and to fine a job I love. I believe that the job I hate and my weight are tied into each other so I am 31 and at a crossroads in my life. I fear the money, the change and the unknown.

My question: When making a change…how do you start? Where do you have to be in your mind to start and how do you get to that point?

Btw..just read your book. Best book on the topic of losing weight I have ever read. Have told everyone who will listen to read this book!

Katharine • July 11, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Yanno, I just realized something. Recently, you asked us how we’d describe your blog—in effect, what your blog is about. I think you’ve just given us yet another a great example of what your blog is about: the process of making decisions, large and small, that let you live life on your own terms.

cristina • July 12, 2009 at 10:35 am

I just want to say: Congratulations!! We are so proud of you!!

Diane • July 13, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Congratulations! You are going to do great. If you didn’t take the leap, you would always be wondering what if….

You are an inspiration and I wish all the best for you.

Zandria • July 20, 2009 at 12:31 pm

How exciting that you were able to make this goal a reality! I’m so happy for you (and your new book deal)! If I see you wandering about the BlogHer conference later this week, I’ll make sure to say hello. :)

countrychicken • May 26, 2010 at 4:37 pm

“It is strange to know that you can leave your daily routine at any time you wish, and the only thing keeping you there is money or fear or comfort in the known.”

So true, so profound.

Origins Of Mysterious World Trade Center Ship Determined | IFLScience
The most attention grabbing story ever published in Tree-Ring Research!

'Muffin top' billboard gets a graffiti makeover - Health - TODAY.com
I very much approve of this graffiti.

If Men Were Women - YouTube