If I were doing Couch to 1.5K I’d be done now

At my first 5K

The last minute is always the hardest. I am tired and out of breath, just like I’m out of quarters for the laundry. But I keep going because the last minute is where I make the most gains. It’s where I push my body a little bit further than it’s gone before, so tomorrow it can heal and go even farther the next day.

Today I will run for 8 minutes and walk for 5 minutes and run for 8 minutes as part of the 2nd day of training in the 5th week of the Couch to 5K program. I’m halfway there! I am pretty sure that last minute will be rough, but it will get me closer to the 5K and farther from the couch. It’s only a month and two days until the Midsummer Night’s Run 5K, and I’ve got to stick to every day of the training schedule to be in shape in time.

I’ve “enjoyed” the Couch to 5K program so far, but I have to put quotes around the word “enjoyed” because it has been challenging. The program has pushed me hard on each run, but not so hard that it’s impossible. (Uh, except for that one day when I stopped a minute early. Whoops!) I can feel myself gradually getting in better shape and I’m looking forward to the day when I can toss off a 5K again like it’s no big deal.

Just a reminder, if you sponsor me for at least $20 on my upcoming 5K, I will add your site to the list of sponsors in the middle rail. All money goes to the National Headache Foundation. Thanks for everyone who has donated so far!

Lori • July 13, 2009 at 10:06 am

I like structured training programs like the C25K.

And – you have already done a 1/2 marathon, so this should be a snap for you to do!

Kimberly • July 13, 2009 at 10:32 am

I did Couch to 5k a while back. The first time I had to run for 20 minutes straight I did it, but I nearly threw up in the parking lot before heading home from the gym. No vomit = success in my book!

Shelley B • July 13, 2009 at 11:16 am

One of these days I’m going to do the C25K – it seems that like you, everyone pretty much “enjoys” it.

Sandra • July 13, 2009 at 11:37 am

I love the C25K program. I’m working on the 7 minute sessions right now. I use the C25K when I am at home on the treadmill and I don’t want to have to watch my clock for timing. I love how the program just lets me know when I can walk and need to start running again. When I’m outside, I use my watch as I run with a partner and it’d be rude to have my ipod in my ears. We are doing 7:1 which involves only 1 minute of walking in between and the C25K gives you a bit more breathing space. To work that into my program I downloaded the C28K and it has what I need 7:1, 8:1, 9:1′s but for a few more sets that I would need to do right now. I just stop it when I’ve reached my goal. Anyway, after blabbering – I think it is a great program and I have improved aerobicly (endurance, HR) quite a bit in the last 3 months since starting this.

Now if the weight would just roll off I’d be happier.

NGS • July 13, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I love C25K. We did it last year, right at the tail end of the running season and then again this year, at the beginning. The structured nature of it is wonderful. I have improved in my cardio stamina and now that we’re doing 30 minutes at a pop we find that we go a little further each time (we go 15 minutes and turn around and our turn around place is slightly further each day!).

Good luck and congrats on making it this far!!

Sara • July 13, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Great job with your progress so far! :) And it’s good to know that C25k is hard for many people – even folks like you who have done so much running already. ;) Sounds like you’ll be back up to snuff very soon!

Ab Rocket • July 13, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I tried doing the Couch to 5K plan a year ago with my husband. Sadly, he couldn’t keep up and we ended up not completing the training. It’s good to read that you’ve hung in there for this long. Be encouraged and Good Luck to you!

Tina • July 13, 2009 at 3:52 pm

I’m doing C25k now. I’ve been on Week 1 for about a month. :) One thing I’ve noticed is that I really don’t like it while I’m doing it (and that’s WITH a really good mix playing to keep me moving), but I love the feeling afterwards. I’m trying to gain the confidence and endurance to run a 5k and eventually a half marathon. Good luck with the training and meeting your fundraising goals!

Quix • July 13, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Good luck with your C25k. Having an impending race really helps with the motivation, no? I have nothing until September and I am really slacking. =)

theantijared • July 13, 2009 at 5:13 pm

What if you have no couch? Does it work for love seats as well?

Nazz • July 13, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Congratulations – I’m so inspired by the leap you’re making into writing full time. You’re really getting out into the world and making your dreams happen, despite a year long headache. It really makes me wonder why I’m putting off my life until everything is perfect. Good on you! You’re such an inspiration. I hope everything goes really well with your writing career.

Sarah Fowler • July 13, 2009 at 7:27 pm

I’m doing C25K too, with a friend. We, like Tina, have been trying to complete Week 1 for 3 or 4 weeks. We first thought 9 weeks would be 11, then 13, now we have no idea – but we’re going to keep going. :-)

I use the podcasts too, but I really don’t like the music so I think we’re going to make our own. We run together but I put it one earbud of my iPod to keep us on track.

gazellegirl • July 13, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Yeah. Sorry I was so “enthusiactic” about starting at the same time as you. I apologize to anyone I may have freaked out with my NO EXCUSES clause. So I am really mad because I stopped doing it. I feel dumb. I can’t figure this out. Maybe I should just walk for a while.

Lyn • July 14, 2009 at 10:54 am

That’s so cool that you’re doing this. I wish I could, too. Maybe I will write a book about having bad knees.

Diane • July 14, 2009 at 2:12 pm

After I lost all my weight doing a 5K was a major goal, and it was a great day when I did it. I wish the C25K program had been around because it’s awesome! Thanks for sharing your program.

Alleigh • July 14, 2009 at 4:09 pm

C25K really is the closest I’ve ever come to “enjoying” running. I stopped after Week 6, so I started all over ago (W2D2), but still feeling good about. Good for you for sticking with it!

Hannah • July 14, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Thanks for letting us know about the Couch to 5k. I have a history of injuring myself running, so I like this very deliberate approach to getting up and going again. Just started this week. Also, congrats on your big transition to being your own boss! I’ve been enjoying reading through your archives.

Barb • July 14, 2009 at 5:48 pm

I am on week 3 of the C25K and I am finding it difficult to finish the second 3 minute run. Would you continue on week 3 for another week?

PastaQueen • July 15, 2009 at 9:00 am

@Barb – I’m not an expert, but I doubt it would hurt to do week three again, particularly if you’re not feeling up to week 4 yet.

A Girl Running • July 17, 2009 at 7:40 am

The C25K is brilliant. My husband downloaded the podcasts in January, he is now 25 kilos lighter and about to run an 80km race

Shane • July 20, 2009 at 11:13 am

I agree Couch to 5k is an impressive and do-able training regime.

I am consdering starting it again but will jump to the 3kms each session for a few weeks then move on up.

My question to pastaqueen..is this safe on Phase 1 of SBD? Just about to restart that as well having read your blog and Kaylins kitchen.

Shane

PastaQueen • July 20, 2009 at 11:51 am

@Shane – Safe? Well, you won’t die, but it’s much harder to run for long distances if you don’t eat carbs. I certainly wouldn’t want to run 3K without at least a yogurt or bowl of cereal.

Shane • July 21, 2009 at 8:21 am

@PastaQueen – Thanks. Maybe I should wait until I am on P2.

Really do love the blog, keep it up.

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine