Still moving, but my body isn’t

I would not recommend moving out of your 2nd floor apartment with a western exposure on a clear, sunny afternoon of 90 degrees. My brother and his friend earned every penny we paid them to load a truck full of dressers and SteelCase desks. I loaded and unloaded 5 carloads worth of boxes and assorted stuff, and was surprised by how much you can cram into a 2002 Saturn SL1. And still, I have not yet moved everything out of my apartment. There are wall hangings to take down, kitchen items to box, more clothes to toss into bags. I don’t even have that much stuff, but it is amazing how exhausting it can be to move what little stuff I have. I have a true appreciation for what my mother went through every time we moved to a different state. I can’t imagine having to pack everything at once instead of gradually transporting all my stuff across town like I’m doing now.

My body is sore, and I’m glad I have a week of wiggle room in my Couch to 5K training, because I need to recuperate. Near the end of moving day, I bent over to pick something up and stretched my right calf a wee bit too far. Now it hurts to push off of that leg. Plus, my back begins to protest every time I pick up a heavy box. I’m just plain tuckered out.

The good news is that the cable man came yesterday afternoon and hooked everything up, surprising me with their efficiency of service. Well played, Comcast. Well played. I no longer have to lean against the far bedroom wall to steal wi-fi from my neighbor’s unsecured network. The kitties are adjusting well, and now that they have more space perhaps they won’t try to kill each other every single night, just on high holidays. I also ate pizza for the first time in a long time as dinner on moving day and felt absolutely no guilt because of all the exercise I’d done in the morning and afternoon. Yum, pepperoni and cheese never tasted so good.

Sue • June 24, 2009 at 11:05 am

Moving can be a heinous project; glad yours is (more than?) halfway there!

The good news: You can now buy groceries!

Hope your kitties settle in to their new digs without incident.

Pauline • June 24, 2009 at 11:08 am

Hey Pastaqueen, when I was a kid we moved every two years between two countries. I know what you’re talking about (although back then I didn’t have to pack the boxes…thank God). Cool that your cats feel ok, guess they will love the new home pretty soon with more “privacy” for each of them ;-)….

Jean • June 24, 2009 at 11:34 am

Don’t hold your breath that the cats won’t try to kill each other now that they have more room. Mine still want to put on a show for me when I get home at night, although it’s not as frequent as it used to be when we lived in the condo – or maybe it’s b/c they’re getting older… :-)

Felicia • June 24, 2009 at 11:47 am

This is going to be me in little over a month… gah. I broke down and hired movers.

Kimberly • June 24, 2009 at 11:53 am

I think it’s a rule that pizza on moving day has no calories. Glad you’re *almost* done!

Merry • June 24, 2009 at 12:08 pm

It’s not the moving /out/ of a 2nd story apt that’s the problem, it’s moving /into/ one. Or a 3rd story apt.

Are you moving to a ground-floor place then?

PastaQueen • June 24, 2009 at 12:12 pm

@Merry – Yeah, I’m the ground floor now.

MB • June 24, 2009 at 3:02 pm

It is amazing how much stuff we can accumulate unless we move often and purge anything unnecessary only for the fact we don’t want to have to MOVE it.

I hope your calf is feeling better.

I’ve never heard of any cable company showing up on time. It must be like hitting the lottery – 1 in a million.

Suzanne • June 24, 2009 at 4:59 pm

I’m sure you’ve probably heard of this before, but have you tried those weird pheromone plug ins for your cats? They’re these: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755197 Though I don’t know what brand is best.

My friend has two cats that haaaaaaaaate each other and the big fat orange one likes to chase the neurotic brown one around and be a pest, and my friend told me that the situation is a lot better now with that plug in, and that her brown cat will even come downstairs now on her own. Before the plug in, my friend had to carry her brown cat downstairs, give her a tour to show the absence of fat orange cat, and then mayyyyybe the brown neurotic cat would use the kitty litter box rather than my friends carpet. Woo!

Sara • June 24, 2009 at 7:19 pm

If you gave me a choice between moving or, say, drinking a bucket of monkey snot my first instinct would be to ask to see the size of the bucket before I made any decisions…

I hope you all get settled in soon!

Lynn C • June 24, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Pizza is mandatory moving food. You must always have pizza. Beer is not quite so mandatory, but is often good to use as bribery items for the hired help!

anji • June 25, 2009 at 2:59 am

I hope you have a room where you can throw a cat in there and shut the door. That made all the difference with me maintaining my sanity…

Hope it works for you!

Diane • June 25, 2009 at 7:30 am

Moving is the pits! We moved in August, in Florida, in 100 degree weather. If I had still weighed 300 pounds I would have fallen over for sure! Congrats on the new place and I’ll bet your old neighbor can tell their connections are faster since you aren’t borrowing their Wi-Fi anymore!!

gfe--gluten free easily • June 28, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Moving is one of those tasks that you always underestimate. Hope your calf and body in general are feeling much, much better!

Shirley