Moving is great exercise

As you are reading this I am most likely moving heavy objects, or even more likely, I am directing my brother and his friend who are moving heavy objects. I’ve decided to move to a new apartment, which sadly means I will no longer be running up and down the happy, fun, fitness trail on a regular basis. I love the trail, but I do not love it at the rate of $300 a month, which is how much I will be saving by moving. They kept raising my rent every year and I finally decided the pain of moving all my earthly possessions (my very heavy earthly possessions) was worth the money I’ll be keeping in my checking account.

As I noted a few years ago, moving is great exercise! Who needs a Stairmaster when you live on the 2nd floor? I decided not to infringe too greatly on my brother’s goodwill, so I lugged all my weights to the backseat of my car myself last night. I carried a grand total of 112 pounds of metal and vinyl to the parking lot. Damn! Now that’s going to affect my gas mileage for sure.

I decided early on I did not want to haul lots of groceries out of my apartment after I’d gone to so much trouble lugging them from the grocery to the kitchen in the first place, which is why my fridge currently looks like this:

My fridge, desolate as Siberia

On the plus side, my grocery spending is below normal for the month because I haven’t been buying much new stuff. However, I think I started eating my way through the cupboards a little too soon, and for the past few days I’ve been opening and closing doors searching for something to eat besides peanut butter and olive oil. I opened up the freezer to see three bags of frozen mixed veggies I probably bought before Barack Obama was president. I had the best intentions purchasing them, but whenever dinnertime came I would decide I wasn’t really in the mood for veggies. Yesterday I finally thawed them and sautéed them in a pan with some olive oil and soy sauce, and DAMN, they were tasty! Who knew?

Veggies

Last night the cats were blissfully ignorant of the trauma they will be experiencing soon. I have told them we’re moving and that the new place has a screened in porch that they will love. Krupke just sat in the office chair, napping, and unmoved by the news. Meanwhile, Java Bean reminded me that the only thing a kitty loves more than a laser pointer is a room full of empty boxes.

Jen, a priorfatgirl • June 22, 2009 at 9:19 am

oohh….moving is totally a good way to get some non-gym working out into the day!

$300 is a lot per month to be saving, what are you going to do with all of that extra money? TAKE A TRIP, TAKE A TRIP!

Sad fridge…oddly enough, what mine seems to look like more often then not!

Jess • June 22, 2009 at 9:45 am

I love having the fresh start of moving but I hate packing and cleaning!

I agree with the previous poster – you should take a trip with that extra money. Or at least fill up your fridge? :)

Mir • June 22, 2009 at 10:21 am

Hope your move goes well today!

Merry • June 22, 2009 at 11:12 am

Whenever my dog was bored, I would put a treat inside a little carton, tape up the box, and give it to her to figure out how to open it.

Really dumb thing to do, teaching a dog how fun it is to open up boxes. As I learned when I had to leave her alone for hours in an apartment full of neatly packed moving boxes.

Kim • June 22, 2009 at 11:46 am

Good luck with your move! A new start is defnitely always fun, once you get there!

I love your blog, and your book is hilarious! It’s gotten me through many days on the treadmill. You’ve given me the courage to start my own weight loss blog, just yesterday. I hope I lose some weight and don’t embarass myself here on the internets. Wish me luck!

Lyn • June 22, 2009 at 11:51 am

It’s so true about not being in the *mood* for vegetables, but once they are on your plate and in your mouth, boy they taste good!

Jennifer • June 22, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Good luck with your move! I will be doing the same shortly so I feel your pain – or is it feel the burn? Regardless, the kitties will LOVE the screened-in porch. I suspect Krupke will demand that the first chair out there is HIS. I also will tell you (from experience) that at some point you will hear an extremely pitiful sound from the porch and find one of them (undoubtedly Java) hanging from the screen with two paws looking at you like “put the camera down, your readers don’t need to see this.”

Donna • June 22, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Boxes and laser pointers and fetching balls are a few of my kittie’s favorite things. :-)

Robin • June 22, 2009 at 7:43 pm

I totally agree. Moving is hard work! I moved last year and I don’t think I worked out for 2 weeks!

Mom Taxi Julie • June 23, 2009 at 12:52 am

I bet Java Bean is in HEAVEN. That is until you close the box on him and carry him to the car.

I wish I could move out on my health insurance. They have jacked it up 2x since Feb.

anji • June 23, 2009 at 3:05 am

Hope the move went well! I know how much moving sucks and now that martin and I are separated, I dread going through my five-bedroom house with a basement and moving everything.

I’m suspecting I will be donating a lot of it.

And, I’ve learnt that I only need 1% of what I have in order to live a happy life. Why couldn’t I have figured that out much, much sooner?

PurpleGirl • June 23, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Oh, much fun. :) Good luck!

(btw, I finished your book last night, and I really thought it was great.)

Jean • June 23, 2009 at 2:25 pm

When I got my boys (the cats), I was living in a 2nd story condo. They LOVED being out on the balcony, but the BOTH fell off! Now we live in a house – w/an enclosed porch – and they LOVE going out there. One of the first things that I have to do in the morning (when the weather is decent) is to open the door and let them out onto the porch so that they can survey their kingdom.

Congrats on making the decision to move & save $$. I agree with the other comments that said moving is good b/c it’s a fresh start – opportunity to ‘purge’, but it’s a pain to pack, move & unpack… My last move was the weekend between Christmas & New Year’s 2007 – moved on Saturday and was at Urgent Care on Sunday to get drugs (bronchitis). Hope yours is uneventful!

Lynn • June 23, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Just a word of caution–be very careful with the cats for awhile. This is when pets are most likely to get lost. They will love the porch and feel at home in time. Congrats on your new place.

quix • June 23, 2009 at 8:37 pm

I love the fact that moving gives me a chance to go through everything I own and throw out what I don’t need anymore, but I’ve moved 9 times since I left my parents house, and I’m happy to finally be in a very permanent living situation with a mortgage and all.

And yeah, sometimes it’s hard to eat the veggies instead of other stuff (since it takes prep and all) but they taste so good once they’re made!

Game of Thrones rape: Director Alex Graves says the sex "becomes consensual."

Runaway stowaway survives Calif.-Hawaii flight: FBI - CBS News
If this had happened in a movie I would never have believed it was possible.

Fitbit, Nest data: How the companies are making money off you.

Site Meter