Attention all do-gooders: Sponsor my 5K race and get a link

Were you aware that this week is National Headache Awareness week? You were? Wow, you’re really aware of your awareness weeks. Good for you! I am excited about headache week because now I get to be like all those people who run around talking about their diseases to raise money, like Michael J. Fox for Parkinson’s or Christina Applegate for breast cancer. I never had a favorite charity because I never had a disease that came with one. (There is no chicken pox foundation.) But now that I have a chronic headache, I’ve basically been assigned my own charitable cause! Yippee!

As I mentioned yesterday, I’ve entered the Midsummer’s Night Run 5K race that takes place in Lexington, Kentucky on August 15. The race is organized by Central Baptist Hospital, but there is no official fund raising program associated with the event. So, I am launching my own sponsorship campaign to benefit the National Headache Foundation. All the money will be donated to programs devoted to headache education and research, so maybe one day they’ll figure out what’s wrong with my noggin’ (besides the obvious).

Please sponsor me! I am out on the trail, bouncing my booty, training hard for this race. Surely that is worth a dollar stuck in my drawstring sweats. You can go to my First Giving page to donate, or if you don’t want to contribute online, you can send a check to my PO Box listed at the bottom of this entry. Make the check payable to “National Headache Foundation.”

To sweeten the pot, if you donate at least $20, I will add your web site to a list of randomly rotating links that will be displayed in the middle column of this blog from now until race day. That is 10 weeks of advertising time! Only one link will be featured at a time, but the links will randomly be displayed, giving everyone equal time. To get your link, either leave your web site address in your comments when you donate on my First Giving page or send me an email after your donation with your information. I reserve the right to approve or reject links. (No acai berries.) Please give me a day or two to update the site with your link. Despite what you might think, I do not monitor my email 24 hours a day.

To sweeten the pot even more, whoever donates the most money will get a free 125×125 ad in the middle rail of this blog for a month after the race thanking you for your sponsorship and letting the whole Internet know what a kindhearted, generous person you are. (Again, I reserve the right to approve the ad. No Hoodia ads, sorry.)

Thanks, everyone! I’ve set my fund raising goal at $3000 and I think we can reach it in the next 10 weeks. Your donations will help make a difference in the lives of millions of headache sufferers, and will motivate me to reach my own fitness goal.

For donations via mail, my PO Box is:

Jennette Fulda

PO Box 90186

Indianapolis, IN 46290-0186

Please make checks payable to the National Headache Foundation.

vivi • June 9, 2009 at 10:37 am

Hi! As you may or may not remember (I don’t write comments here that often) I had brain surgery a year ago because I had headaches, etc. I am not going to suggest any diagnosis or any technique that might help to find out the reason of your headache because I am pretty sure they’ve tested pretty much everything.

I have found a forum which I find quite useful for anyone who suffers from chronic or acute pain (I am still in contact with people that need the same surgery as I got but are waiting and are still in pain. Some use the forum I mention, which is intended for people “in pain” from different conditions -diagnosed or not-, they post and find support). The address is below.

Just in case it helps, may be…

MB • June 10, 2009 at 7:29 am

Hey PQ:

What a great idea! I’d love to sponser your run.

Would it be ok if I sent a check payable to you? Everytime I make a donation to charity I end up getting TONS of mail requesting more donations and feel guilty when I don’t have more to give.

I wouldn’t be opposed to funding the post run festivities either ;)

PastaQueen • June 10, 2009 at 8:32 am

@MB – That would be fine. Thanks for sponsoring me!

Rachael • June 10, 2009 at 11:37 am

Done! Hope you meet your goal!

What do you do about blisters? I started training to walk a 1/2 marathon at the beginning of the year, but stopped because I kept getting horrible blisters at the 6 mile mark. I had expensive socks, tried several different shoes, a variety of bandages and ointments… still blisters.

PastaQueen • June 10, 2009 at 12:09 pm

@Rachael – Sorry, you listed every tip I was going to give you! You might try going to a running store and ask the people there what they recommend you do.

MB • June 10, 2009 at 10:52 pm

@PastaQueen – I put the check in the mail today (no, really, the check is in the mail ;)

I’m glad the headache foundation won’t have to waste their money on postage for me.

Carla • June 13, 2009 at 1:42 pm

@Rachael – Well this thread is a few days old now, but I too used to get really nasty blisters while training to walk 1/2 and a whole marathon. Ultimately I got wider shoes, taped the problem areas and wore two pairs of socks with corn starch to absorb moisture. Hard to say what might work for the next person though, I think it takes a lot of experimenting. Good luck!

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.

The Man Who Smuggles Trader Joe’s into Canada