Seeing double

I am still tuckered out from my trip to DC this weekend for a friend’s wedding, but lest I go a Monday without a post, please consider this photo of my red Saturn. Do you see the double sight I see?

Seeing, double

Yes, there are two red Honda CRVs parked on either side of me. I can only imagine the moment of consternation and confusion one of the owners must have had later when their key wasn’t working. That’s what happened to me about a year ago when my key wouldn’t work on my car outside of the Kroger. I kept trying to twist and turn it in the barrel when I saw some CDs in the front seat that weren’t mine and a roll of Smarties and oh wait, this is not my car, is it? It’s almost an argument to paint your car neon pink to avoid confusion.

Jen • April 20, 2009 at 5:09 pm

I have had the same problem on occasion. o.k. more than one occasion. I have a silver Honda Civic. I have my trusty disco ball hanging from my rear view mirror to help me out.

Jacquie • April 20, 2009 at 7:32 pm

I have a Tinkerbell antenna-topper. If it weren’t for that I’d lose my car everytime a went shopping. (I have a silver Kia) My car blends in with every silver car in the parking lot.

Monica • April 20, 2009 at 7:55 pm

That is hysterical!

I hope you had tons of fun!

Also, Im currently reading your book and I want to thank you for helping me to love myself! I sooo needed your words! God Bless!

dana • April 20, 2009 at 7:57 pm

that’s not so bad. I got in the wrong van and then it wouldn’t start. I then left my pruse in the van to run and tell the old lady I was carting arouud that day that her car wouldn’t start. I went back out got in the same van, looked in the backseat….and there was a backseat. that was my 1st clue…..The van I was driving was wheelchair accessible…..no back seat. I am not as dumb as I look..ok I am. Thank goodness the real owner didn’t drive off with my purse…..real owner never found out. The vans looked exactly alike….my key opened the WRONG CAR!

Anna • April 20, 2009 at 9:03 pm

We drive 20 yr old Volvo’s – really easy to spot in a car park full of shiny carbon copies! Have no idea how I am going to cope when we get our new car (a Volvo that is only 10 yrs old – so it looks a bit more modern and will blend in more). I really don’t know how people can find their cars when they are one of many in each carpark – I never remember the exact spot I parked in.

Jen • April 20, 2009 at 10:10 pm

@dana – haha I totally forgot. I did that too!

I got into a car after coming out of a Subway and I couldn’t figure out how the steering wheel got so close. The owner wasn’t around either. I kept my purse though.

Deb • April 20, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Same thing happened to me in my generic white Honda Accord.

Brittany • April 21, 2009 at 12:20 am

hahahaha…. i’ve almost done that, but caught myself before i stuck the key in.

i have a white camry. i didn’t know there were so many, til i bought one.

xoxo.

Julie • April 21, 2009 at 1:39 am

I did that once with my Saturn outside the bowling alley. My daughter thought it was hilarious! With my new car I have yet to use the key to open the door since it has a remote unlock!

KellyQ • April 21, 2009 at 2:30 am

Generic white Ford Escort here. I have a Jack (in the Box) head on the antenna, so I can find it in a crowded parking lot; otherwise I’d never spot it over the SUVs and trucks that dwarf it.

K • April 21, 2009 at 4:51 am

If I had a car I would probably do that all the time… My previous bike was a very common model, and from time to time I would see another locked to the same rack. I don’t think I ever got as far as trying to unlock the wrong one, though!

Wendy • April 21, 2009 at 5:15 am

Wow your parking spaces are huge!

If I was parked between the 2 Hondas in the UK, I wouldn’t be able to get in my car. I have been known to have to reverse my car out of a parking space from the passenger seat – driving the car from the passenger seat is my special party trick ;)

Bobbi Jo • April 21, 2009 at 7:55 am

@Wendy – We’re in Germany and I was thinking along the same lines as you…boy do I miss those gigantic parking spaces in the U.S.!

Rochelle • April 21, 2009 at 8:45 am

I’ve did this last week for the first time! I have a generic Honda Civic…I keep it clean, so as I was wrestling with the key, I noticed the backseat covered in papers. Not mine!

Pam • April 21, 2009 at 9:03 am

This happened about 40 years ago, but still:

My dad was an engineer and worked in the space program, satellite launches and all that. So they all had high level government clearance to work with certain confidential information. A couple of guys (not my dad) were on a business trip, in a non-descript rental Dodge, with confidential info in a briefcase in the trunk. They stop for lunch in the middle of nowhere, get back into the wrong car and take off. Imagine the surprise of the poor unsuspecting dope who got into their car and was then flagged down by police cruisers and FBI with guns drawn!

Dee • April 21, 2009 at 9:20 am

Oh that reminds me when I got my first car as a kid. It was a maroon plymouth horizon, the same exact shape as a Dodge Omni, I go out to try and get in my car at the end of the day and for the life of me cannot open it, that’s when I realized there wasn’t a 20 day plate in the window and it wasn’t a Plymouth. OOPS! My car was further down in the lot.

Fatty • April 21, 2009 at 10:42 am

@Dee – that is too funny. That sounds like something in a Cohen Brothers movie…think Burn After Reading!

Tara • April 21, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I never used to lock the doors on my ’96 Toyota Corolla, and apparently that was all the rage for owners of that car. I actually got the door open to one in a Walmart parking lot before I realized that a) the seat was waaay too far forward and b) I don’t have children, so the baby seats in the back were out of place.

Thank God I made my escape before the owners arrived!

Kori from Newfoundland • April 21, 2009 at 4:33 pm

I once ‘stole’ my Dad’s neighbour’s truck, because in his small Saskatchewan town everybody left the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition. I drove to the store at night, parked under a light, shopped, and when I came out, I didn’t see Dad’s truck. I soon figured out the snafu, and drove back to the house. Dad laughed his head off! This was eclipsed only slightly by the weekend I spent at his house where I had forgotten to bring any shoes. ANY shoes.

Melissa @ Anxious for Nothing • April 22, 2009 at 1:08 am

When I was attending community college and living with my parents, I often drove my mom’s Ford minivan. One day I came out of classes, walked out to the ginormous community college parking lot, found the van, unlocked it, and sat down in the driver’s seat. The first thing that struck me was the smell–perfumey, like an air freshener, only my mom didn’t keep an air freshener in her van. Then I saw an unfamiliar coffee mug and other items I didn’t recognize. That’s right. My key had actually unlocked someone else’s identical vehicle. I got out of there fast, but made sure to lock the door again on my way out.

PurpleGirl • April 22, 2009 at 1:27 am

I’ve been lucky in that regard, mostly because my cars have been … unique. And by unique I mean: ghetto truck, ghetto buggy, classic Mustang, sparkly pink menace, sparkly green menace, red boat, and … what do you know, another ghetto buggy!

Keri • April 22, 2009 at 3:37 pm

One night I parked my burgundy Honda Civic along the street and walked to Downtown Fort Lauderdale to enjoy a few adult beverages and some live music with some friends. I put my purse in the trunk, locked my car, and went on my merry way…

When I returned to my car at 4 am, I got my purse out of the trunk and and when I went to unlock my door, I was very confused… There was a girl passed out in my driver’s seat! I did a double-take thinking I had the wrong car, but then quickly remembered I had just gotten my purse out of the trunk, so I indeed, had the right car. I tried to wake her up, but she wouldn’t budge. She was breathing, but she was out COLD! Not knowing what to do, a cop car started driving down the street, so I waved him down and told him the deal. He proceeded to yell at me for not locking my car. I assured him that I did lock it. Then I saw that the contents of her purse were strewn all over my car, and as I put everything back in there for her, I found a set of Honda keys. I looked up and sure enough, her burgundy Honda Civic was parked right in front of mine.

After several attempts by poke with his night stick, the cop finally woke her up by dragging her out of the car. She was SOOOOOO out of it. Scary. I’m glad, she got into my car and couldn’t start it and passed out instead of driving hers and possibly killing herself and some innocent victim.

Funny night though.

Inger-Lisa Bakke • April 22, 2009 at 10:09 pm

I have yet to have this problem. Only that my car hides well behind others.

christy • April 23, 2009 at 10:00 am

I did this once in a car that I thought could not possibly have a double. A pale yellow with brown plaid interior Opal… (ok it was the early 80s and my Dad picked it… for me to pay for) and while I was trying to get the key to open the door… I noticed stuff on the seat that wasn’t mine about the time I felt someone watching me… the guy whose car it was!! I quickly pointed to mine… he was surprised to find one that looked like his… I am not sure of his excuse for the color combo…

quix • April 23, 2009 at 7:02 pm

I have a dark grey prius and I live in Austin. Yeah, I pretty much have to look for my license plate most times when I get into a parking lot and don’t remember exactly what spot I parked in. :)