Beg the government for money on my behalf, will you?

Every year the National Institutes of Health gives money to researchers so they can put on their lab coats and mix up strange concoctions and cure us of all disease. (And genetically engineer unicorns, perhaps?) The Alliance for Headache Disorders Advocacy sent out an action alert today asking that people sign an easy-to-email form letter to their Congressional representatives which asks for more money for headache research. So, if you have the time and the inclination and currently live in the US, please go beg Congress for money on my behalf. Then maybe a researcher will get some cash which will allow them to run the experiments that one day will figure out what the fuck is wrong with my head. Thanks!

If you live outside the US, your concern is appreciated, however since you don’t get to vote here or pay taxes here, Congress doesn’t care what you think. You may as well write them and request research into how to make more pink dolphins.

Amy • March 3, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Ouch. Just did a little letter thingy for you. Hope it works. Yay, lobbying!

PastaQueen • March 3, 2009 at 3:38 pm

@Amy – Thank you, Amy!

JoPo • March 3, 2009 at 3:54 pm

PQ–As a headache sufferer myself, I was glad to send a letter to my representative. Thanks for the link!

PastaQueen • March 3, 2009 at 3:59 pm

@JoPo – Thanks, JoPo! I hope we both feel better some day….and get personal unicorns and pink dolphins.

Abby • March 3, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Hey Jenette. Long time reader, first time commenter. I am going to sign your head thing right now. Does it make you feel better or worse that there are enough people out there suffering with undiagnosed mysterious head-pain to start such a petition? Anyway, hope you get feeling better. I went 3 months this fall/winter with an excrutiatingly painful and constant sinus (we think) headache that just mysteriously went away about 3 weeks ago, so although I no longer feel your pain, I did feel it somewhat for a little while. I wish I could tell you I mixed up some magical herb concoction that cured it, but I just woke up one day and it was gone. Good luck to you.

PastaQueen • March 3, 2009 at 4:12 pm

@Abby – Thanks, Abby! I’m glad to hear your headache is gone. I hope mine disappears like that someday too.

Anonymous • March 3, 2009 at 4:36 pm

I will write to my congresspeople. Also, my sister reads and evaluates grant applications for the NIH. I will be putting in a good word there too. (I hope it’s not unethical as she will bite my head off.)

PastaQueen • March 3, 2009 at 5:02 pm

@Anonymous – Thanks, Anonymous! Surely your sister cannot begrudge you some small talk about the high productivity losses in this country due to headaches.

Jon Gray • March 3, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Hey Jennette — I wasn’t aware of this, but thanks for bringing it to our attention…I don’t think my migraines are quite as bad as yours are, but i defintely feel your pain, no pun intended whatsoever. I’m onboard with this, I would love to see some new treatments for us migraine sufferers.

Ang • March 3, 2009 at 6:30 pm

I sent a letter. That was easy! Hope it does some good.

Amy • March 3, 2009 at 6:37 pm

I am pleased to do so, although at work, we are in a frenzy of activity to secure some of the NIH $$ for our own! (I am in medical research, but nothing to do with headaches).

PastaQueen • March 3, 2009 at 7:08 pm

@Jon Gray – Thanks, Jon!

PastaQueen • March 3, 2009 at 7:09 pm

@Ang – Thanks, Ang!

PastaQueen • March 3, 2009 at 7:09 pm

@Amy – Thanks, Amy! And hopefully there is lots of money to go around. Or maybe you should start researching headaches instead!

Lisa • March 3, 2009 at 7:44 pm

PQ, My letter has been sent and it was so simple! Hopefully, with the proper funding, finding a solution to your headache will be as simple. Best of luck to you!

Agfox • March 3, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Just found the blog and spent several nights reading and being amused. Sent a note. Wish you well.

Jules • March 3, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Hi Jennette,

Thanks for the link, my email is on its way. As a migraine sufferer, I can not imagine how you endure the constant headaches. I enjoy reading your postings. You rock!

Melissa • March 3, 2009 at 10:54 pm

I sent the letter. As a person who suffers through daily headaches for weeks at a time, I can understand a little of what you’re going through. I hope you feel better soon.

PastaQueen • March 4, 2009 at 9:15 am

@Lisa, @Agfox, @Jules, and @Melissa Thanks! I appreciate it!

Katie • March 4, 2009 at 12:55 pm

I’m a migraine sufferer and I definitely agree they need to figure out more about headaches. I sent mine in!

Karen • March 4, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I’m a hormone-driven migraine sufferer, so I did it for both of us….but mostly for you, since you don’t get a break from your *ow* factor.

PastaQueen • March 4, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Thanks, Katie and Karen!

Fredericka • March 4, 2009 at 9:25 pm

I signed this so fast it would make your head swim if it weren’t swimming already. Hope you don’t mind that in the editable text I mentioned my friend Jennette with the insufferable chronic headache. Sorry to say that my congressional representative, Anders Crenshaw, is a gold-plated POS who never votes as I would have it so I’m not optimistic. Hopefully he’ll get outvoted by people who actually possess compassion, a trait he should at least pretend to possess.

PastaQueen • March 5, 2009 at 9:46 am

@Fredericka – Thanks, Fredericka!

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.

The Man Who Smuggles Trader Joe’s into Canada