Save money at the arcade by joining the YMCA

Video Arcade

I haven’t stopped by the northern YMCA lately, opting to walk through the snow to the apartment’s fitness room rather than drive through the snow to the shiny Y. But I’m tempted to stop by again because they’ve installed a free arcade (for members). There are no tokens or tickets to exchange for cheap prizes, no stuffed teddy bears to win. However, all the games involve physical activity. According to the newsletter “Dancing, boxing, and snowboarding are just a few of the awesome activities that you can do in our new XArkade.”

I just hope there are other adults playing the games, because I would feel a bit odd being the only 28-year-old launching a Dance, Dance Revolution in a room full of teeny-boppers. I’d be so old in comparison I probably wouldn’t recognize any of the music and I might break my hip break dancing. Regardless, I’m happy to see my YMCA creating the video game room, even if they gave it a weird name. (XArkade? Really?) Fitness is best when it’s fun and this sounds like a lot of fun.

Victoria • February 3, 2009 at 9:49 am

That is a creative idea! Maybe they’ll start offering some Wii Fit games too? Good thing there doesn’t appear to be a mirror nearby–I already know I look ridiculous doing DDR!

Nina • February 3, 2009 at 10:31 am

You’re never to old to play DDR! And don’t worry. Most of the songs are either made for the game itself, or are Japanese pop songs that kids only pretend to have heard before. ;)

CC • February 3, 2009 at 10:41 am

what on earth is dance dance revolution? does it make me impossibly old that i don’t know?

Diana • February 3, 2009 at 11:25 am

What a great idea! Who cares if you’re the only adult. 28 isn’t too old. If I was 70 I’d still be in there having a good time! If you pay for it, enjoy it no matter who’s there :)

Rochelle • February 3, 2009 at 12:38 pm

It’s true that you are never too old to play DDR! But ask yourself “will I look like a pedophile doing it in a room full of tweens?” then yes, too old! :(

I’ve tried to play my dance mat in my house, but em, things tend to violently shake… :(

Kelly • February 3, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Wow. Your Y is much cooler than my Y.

jenna • February 3, 2009 at 3:31 pm

I freaken love DDR, it helped me get into a bridesmaids dress last summer:)

Nina • February 3, 2009 at 4:13 pm

If you don’t remember DDR, you are too young or way old!!! But, never to old to enjoy exercisin to the OLDIES!!!

clickmom • February 3, 2009 at 4:28 pm

I want that in my house!

Paige • February 3, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Now THAT sounds fun. You have to go and then tell us all about it!

Bella • February 4, 2009 at 2:00 am

How cool! I can’t wait to hear what you think of it. Anything that makes working out fun gets a thumbs up from me.

Nessa • February 4, 2009 at 2:52 am

I am 31 years old, and I LOVE DDR. I’ve only played it once in an arcade, but that’s only because I have a Playstation 2 at home complete with nice thick foam pads. Ok, and it would get expensive if I played there all the time, but I digress….

It works for me especially well since I like video games – I can get into game mode where I HAVE to beat a level, so I keep going.

Have fun – it’s awesome exercise!

Carol • February 4, 2009 at 11:15 am

I’m 42 and I first played DDR with my 13 year old niece a few summers ago. I loved it so much that I had to get one for my Wii. I don’t belong to a gym, but I think it’s so cool that yours is offering games like these.

TC • February 4, 2009 at 11:28 am

Our Y has a new Xrkade too. It can be a pretty good workout, actually. Our gym has specific times (classes) for different groups-adults, children 10-14, etc. They also offer family classes and boot camp in the Xrkade. It makes working out a little more fun.

Meg • February 4, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Do they offer classes on the equipment? I think that would be awesome fun. I’m hoping my gym starts offering Wii Fit classes ^_^ Forget bringing my own yoga mat, I’ll tote my own Wii Fit ballance board! ^_^

-Meg

Jennifer • February 4, 2009 at 1:37 pm

They have that at the Y I go to. Except it is in the kids room they call the Y box. They have bikes you have to pedal to play, and they do have the dance dance revolution, which I would love to do if no one else was in the room!

Camevil • February 4, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Actually, from what I hear, the 30-something crowd are the largest consumers of video games. And I regularly use my PS3 to aid in my morning workouts. Ratchet & Clank + recumbent bike = intense hour of burn that you barely notice you’re dong until it’s over.

So, take comfort in that!

Quix • February 6, 2009 at 11:16 am

OMG, you have to go try the DDR, that and running makes up my cardio each week. Maybe bring a friend with so you can giggle at yourselves together?

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine