It’s Nannerpus!

I don’t know how our parents, or even our older siblings, got through the work day without the Internet. A funny YouTube video or a LOL Cat can lighten spirits weighed down by a heavy workload. Lately our Internet savior has been…the Nannerpus!

Nannerpus made his national debut during a Superbowl ad for Denny’s. He’s not even a month old and he already has a Twitter account, parody videos, and tribute art dedicated to him. He’s got a catchy theme song and whenever there is a lull at the office, or whenever there is not a lull at the office, someone will hit YouTube and their laptop speakers will scream, “It’s Nannerpus!” And then the song is caught in your head once more.

After a long lunchtime discussion about Nannerpus, in which we postulated that his nemesis must be a cross between a monkey and a crab and that Nannerpus probably attacks by squirting syrup at you or by lying in wait on the floor until you slip on him or attaches to your face and overdoses you with potassium, I came home inspired to crochet this: Nannerpus!

Nannerpus!

Yes, I now spend my evenings crocheting anthropomorphized banana creatures with googily eyes. This is why I end up writing all my blog entries at 7:00 in the morning. Needless to say, the Nannerpus was a big hit at the office, though I have now been thrown the challenge of making a Nannerpus hat. I do not know if I will accept said challenge or not. Either way, I think the answer to Denny’s question is clear. Is it time for a more serious breakfast? Absolutely not!

If you want to make your own Nannerpus or Nannerpi, I followed the idea behind this octopus pattern, though I freestyled it to my own tastes. I didn’t write down what I did, so you’ll just have to feel it out. The mustache was cut out of black felt and sewn onto the yarn with thread. The googly eyes were attached with tacky glue. Don’t forget to put some paper inside the octopus so you don’t get glue on the other side.

gknee • February 19, 2009 at 9:37 am

Love the crochet Nannerpus!

Sent you a picture via the email link on this site of another edible Nannerpus option.

You might like it…..

o-line • February 19, 2009 at 9:57 am

Haha! That’s awesome. Good to know that I’m not the only one who gets a serious kick out of that commercial. I’m a big fan of their new campaign as a whole, but Nannerpus is definitely the best of them all.

Kelly • February 19, 2009 at 10:20 am

That’s hilarious! I thought those Nannerpuss commercials were great and love that you crocheted him.

Meg • February 19, 2009 at 10:23 am

Wow! That’s awesome. I need to learn to crochet now, I want to make one! ^_^

Sue • February 19, 2009 at 10:36 am

Hey, Jenn, if this whole writing thing bombs, you can open an etsy store and sell Nannerpuss’ by the gross. Hilarious.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? • February 19, 2009 at 10:40 am

You crochet too?

I seriously laughed out loud at that “nannerpuss” :)

Hopefool • February 19, 2009 at 10:40 am

OMG – I saw “Nannerpuss” for the first time last night, paused the DVR and called my husband and kids to watch it with me.

We sang that dumb song all night. We made up even dumber words. We sang it when we woke up today too!

I love-hate that stupid thing!

Julie • February 19, 2009 at 10:43 am

Awww I miss those silly office conversations lol. Great job whipping up your “nannerpus” lol

Nicole (Sweetie Pie) • February 19, 2009 at 11:00 am

That’s awesome. I can only imagine how fabulous a nannerpuss hat would be. I saw him for the first time this morning. I like the recent Denny’s commercials. I love the one of the two rugged cowboy type dudes asking for extra giggle drops and chocolate doo diddles too, but Nannerpuss is clearly the best!

If you do make a hat, I hope you will share it with us. Hee hee!

Camevil • February 19, 2009 at 11:27 am

I would have dodged the Nannerpus bullet had I not read this post.

Now, I’ve watched it 3 times.

Thanks?

Amy • February 19, 2009 at 12:00 pm

I am still out of the loop of Nannerpuss, but I suppose I will click your link after I get home.

As for getting through the workday w/o internet, I believe all the productivity gains our society made by going from paper-based business to computers in our offices is completely erased by the amount of time wasted online. :) I can see why some of my former employers restricted access on our computers!

Tori • February 19, 2009 at 7:29 pm

The nannerpus only has one eye. The other one is laying upside down on the left side of the plate.

I find that to be the best part about the entire thing. He not only loves pancakes but he’s a pirate too!

sarah • February 19, 2009 at 8:44 pm

OMG! My husband and I love Nannerpus !! We sing that dumb song all the time. Ha.

Griffin • February 20, 2009 at 2:15 am

The first time I saw that commercial, I had to do a double-take to make sure I hadn’t gone insane. Because it’s just. too. awesome.

And those, m’dear, are some serious crochet skillz.

K • February 20, 2009 at 9:12 am

Wow. That is all I have to say.

A lady in my office has a knitted Flying Spaghetti Monster. This strikes me as the sort of thing that should be encouraged.

Kathy • February 20, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I saw that commercial last night and I was like huh? Why is that sorry excuse for a puppet on TV?

THEN – I saw your version. OMG – I’m with Griffin on this – you are a mad crocheting genius! And you’ve totally redeemed Nannerpus in my eyes, for which I’m .. grateful .. ?

love it…

Fast Weight Lose Tips • February 20, 2009 at 2:20 pm

My kids and I sing Nannerpus song pretty much everytime. We love it.

cher • February 20, 2009 at 4:38 pm

You could make a fortune making vibrator cozies! Sorry, couldn’t help myself!

Didn’t everyone grow up with one of those toilet paper cozies (a dolls head and torso with the crocheted ballgown skirt that hid the extra roll of toilet paper)?

So, if you ever do lose your IT job, well you’ve got a back up career.

Jennifer • February 20, 2009 at 5:28 pm

I don’t think I’ve laughed so hard in a very long time. Not only is that commercial hilarious, your post and crocheted version had me in stitches. I can’t wait to share this with others!

Yet Another Jenny • February 20, 2009 at 11:39 pm

Watching and reading this today absolutely made my week. Seriously, holy cow.

Mary - A Merry Life • February 21, 2009 at 11:46 am

Nannerpus! Hurray! Haha.

Lindsay • February 21, 2009 at 1:34 pm

That Nannerpus reminds me of my little brother’s dancing banana soft toy which met an unfortunate end when we were kids….

Here in the UK Shreddies (cereal) is made by Nannas – but that’s grandmas not bananas.

Becca • February 21, 2009 at 7:42 pm

I love that commercial, it cracks me up every time. And I love the octopus you crocheted, I’m gonna try to get my mom to crochet me one. Thanks for sharing!

Wendy Stanley • February 22, 2009 at 8:41 am

Hello,

I am writing for the first time. I just finished your book (I think Fate sent it to me, it somehow popped up on Amazon when I was ordering books for my kids and before I could stop myself I pushed click and it appeared on my doorstep) and loved it. There’s not much I can say, I’m sure, that hasn’t been said by your readers before me. But it’s enough of a statement that I am now entering a comment on your blog, which is something I don’t do as a blogger I’m not. That’s how much it impacted me. I have never been technically obese, but if I really apply myself there’s still time! I am working up to losing some weight and pulling exercise out of my memory into my life. Mainly I wanted to write and say thank you. Your story has been heard. I will carry it with me for a long time.

Wendy

Nannerpus @ deviantArt • February 23, 2009 at 2:49 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH for mentioning Nannerpus @ deviantArt. It’s always great to see more and more

people keeping his memory alive! LOVE your

crochet Nannerpus!

Samantha • February 26, 2009 at 8:31 am

I love Nannerpus. The best part is how he like whacks his eye off with one of his tentacles.

Tiffany S. • March 1, 2009 at 10:51 pm

OMG – I’m stunned you can crochet on top of EVERYTHING else you’re capable of. That’s outstanding.

PS. My husband’s co-worked went to go get that free Grand Slam Breakfast on that Tuesday, and there was a double line around the block. If only she’d had a Nannerpus to keep her company (she bailed and went somewhere else).

Again, your talent stuns your humble readers!