Bop to the Top

On Saturday I climbed 37 stories of the One America building with a Flip Camera in my left hand to capture all the coughing and hyperventilating. You can view my video blog about the race above. If you have dial-up or can’t discreetly watch videos at work, I will spoil the ending for you: I got to the top without keeling over. We were also one of the top 4 fundraisers for the event, an honor for which I won a mug. Instead of dividing it into 50 little pieces and mailing it to all my sponsors, I will let you have a sip from it if we ever run into each other.

You can view pictures of the event taken by The Indianapolis Star here. I’m not sure what my official time was because, quite frankly, the official race site sucks giant donkey balls. (Yes, that is my professional opinion.) I think I got in at just under 14 minutes. The fastest people did it in just under 4 minutes, which make me wonder if we should let genetically engineered people like that compete against us flabbier mortals.

Thank you to everyone who sponsored me. You really “stepped up.”(Har, har, har.) Below is a list of some of my sponsors’ web pages. I hope you’ll take the time to check them out. I’ve done my best to compile this list without error, but there were A LOT of links. (It took me longer to put this post together than it took to climb to the 37th story.) If your link is missing, broken or miscategorized, email me and I’ll fix it ASAP.

$65.00

Wild Rumpusing

$50.00

My Weight Watchers Journey: 50 lbs to lose at 50!

$40.00

Achieving Kateness

Weight Loss Journey

She Overflows

Mumalicious

Taste Not Waist

Perry • January 26, 2009 at 7:37 am

Woohoo !! Way to go girl! We’re all very proud of you – even though we (er, I?) may have had the slightly less stellar motive of having our blogs listed in a famous one! That is of course secondary to helping kids in real need. Being a dad, I cannot imagine my baby girl in those circumstances, but I know how I would feel about total strangers helping us. Kudos to you and congrats on a great workout! Inspired me to hit the gym today…again

Debbi • January 26, 2009 at 7:55 am

You rock, girl. Or, rather, you bop. Good job on finishing what must have been a really tough challenge. I donated, but don’t see my link. Not a biggie, but any time I have the chance to rub elbows with PQ, I want to do it! Heh.

John's Weight Loss Blog • January 26, 2009 at 8:46 am

Awesome bopping! I’ve had to navigate a few stories of the Sears Tower and that isn’t exactly fun!

dg • January 26, 2009 at 8:50 am

I can only watch this without audio right now so i’m picturing it with a silent movie jangly piano kind of soundtrack. what a fab way to raise dosh for charity… but my shallow comment is… love your hair :D

PastaQueen • January 26, 2009 at 8:53 am

@dg – Oh, thanks for noticing! :) Erin at Urban Gypsy cut it on Wednesday.

JC • January 26, 2009 at 9:03 am

That sounds awesome, and I bet all 37 stories definitely posed a challenge. I see this going on my list of things to do before I die!

Helen • January 26, 2009 at 9:18 am

Excellent. And how do you know That Josh Groban Guy? Seriously?

PastaQueen • January 26, 2009 at 9:25 am

@Helen – Evidently the site-runner reads my blog.

Diana • January 26, 2009 at 9:27 am

I didn’t donate money, but I just wanted to delurk to tell you what a great job you did! (in my defense, I just started reading a week ago :). You rock!

Melissa • January 26, 2009 at 9:27 am

Great job, PQ! I really enjoyed your video. BTW, you looked fabulous. (Even after 37 floors.) Way to go!

Lori • January 26, 2009 at 9:38 am

Congratulations!!

And thanks for sharing with video, that was pretty cool!

Lucrecia • January 26, 2009 at 9:50 am

14 minutes?? You were hauling it! I think it would take me that long to do 4 flights!

Emily • January 26, 2009 at 9:53 am

Great job, PQ! And for a great cause!

On another note, just a response to your tweet the other day about you wanting to track your spending better. I go the old fashioned paper/pen route, but there are plenty of more technological ways to do it. I read this great personal finance/fashion blog called “Fabulously Broke in the City.” She has lots of good tips of saving money and staying aware of your spending habits. If nothing there seems to work for you, she links to lots of other PF blogs that might help you be able to manage that pesky “where’d all my money go?” question.

Congrats again on all the bopping!

sherre • January 26, 2009 at 10:20 am

Impressive! Thanks for “taking us along” (cuz that’s the only way I’m climbing 37 flights!).

Jennifer • January 26, 2009 at 10:40 am

Kudos to you! Just watching the video made me tired… made me remember youth conventions where I’d take the stairs instead of waiting 45 minutes for an elevator, and I’d feel like I was going to die by the time I got to my room on the 9th floor. I can’t imagine 37!

moonduster • January 26, 2009 at 10:50 am

LOL! Very cool! I love those cameras! I sell designer ones in my on-line shop, so I bought one of them (Flip MinoHD) for my husband last Christmas and we both love it! He recently did something similar to what you’ve done – he took it with him to video his long nature walk with the dog.

Amy • January 26, 2009 at 11:16 am

Yes, that event planner’s site is TERRIBLE. How does anyone hire them to do an event?? They even tout their website like it’s a feature they offer! How in the world do they do the Mini?

I see an opportunity for someone to fix their site for them… goodness.

Susan • January 26, 2009 at 11:22 am

Great job taking us along for the climb (made my knees hurt a little)! Thanks for allowing us to sponsor you for this worthwhile cause . . . we got off easy!

Angie • January 26, 2009 at 11:44 am

I ADORE YOU more now than ever, you coughing, lungs-on-fire, fabulous woman! And I’m going to tell everyone that Josh Groban is stalking you….tee hee hee…..

Helen • January 26, 2009 at 11:51 am

@PastaQueen – You are even cooler than I knew!

Tina • January 26, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Great job on your stair climbing! That had to be such hard work and you managed to look cute while doing it. You are my hero!

Manic Mommy • January 26, 2009 at 12:19 pm

I watched your video and was really proud of you, like a mom would be proud, proud! That oddly looked like fun and healthy too!

It sounded like the guy said 12:41 on your time at the end of the video!

And thank you soooo much for promoting the blood drive again! We’ve got another month of it — goes through Feb, so thanks for the shout out!

Princess Dieter • January 26, 2009 at 12:19 pm

As someone who would be hurting after TWO STOREYS, and in 14 minutes optiminstically might make 6 to 7 storeys, I can only marvel at your stamina, woman!!! I’m impressed. Congrats.

Mymsie • January 26, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Go you!!! I’m so impressed. :-)

Ok you totes don’t have to include a link to me but I want to make sure my donation went through properly. If not – let me know and I’ll re-submit it!

becky • January 26, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I loved the video! You should continue to do little video blogs like that more often. And, you were right. What are people thinking doing two stairs at a time? This is just a ploy to show off supreme athletic DNA:) Great Job!

Tori • January 26, 2009 at 1:10 pm

That nice man at the top of the stairs said you were at 12:40 as you climbed the last step. Now you have proof on video of your mad skills.

Am I mistaken or were those Wendy’s cups at the top? Were they serving Frosty’s to the finishers?

PastaQueen • January 26, 2009 at 1:16 pm

@Manic Mommy – 1240 was my bib number. We went in order according to that, so I think 1241 was coming up behind me. It was sort of confusing though.

Sarah • January 26, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Way to go!!! You are such a rockstar!!!

Merry Mary • January 26, 2009 at 2:47 pm

That is so awesome. :) Good job PQ!

Jennifer • January 26, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Way to go! Although I have to say, it appears that the race itself sucked giant donkey balls! How horrible – TORTURE!!!! You did fantastic and congratulations on raising so much money. That’s awesome.

maggieapril • January 26, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Loved the video. I was hyperventilating just watching. Good job on a good deed!!

Pamela • January 26, 2009 at 3:30 pm

You are my hero! Loved the video! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Shannen • January 26, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Hey Jeanette!

I just wanted to say congratulations! And also, we’ve seen you on video before but never for that long of time and you know, you remind me of Juno. Seriously! You have that same fun vibe as her (yes I’m aware that Juno isn’t real but you know what I’m saying!) Wow, I hope you don’t have like a freaky hatred of Juno cuz I really do mean it as a compliment…lol

Rock on girl!

MizFit • January 26, 2009 at 5:57 pm

greetings from my cave.

somehow I missed all this and it’s too late to donate?

she overflows • January 26, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Awesome, congrats on making it to the top! I climbed three flights of stairs today and felt like I was dying. Sad, right?

Also, every time you tilted your camera, I totally thought you were falling/passing out for a second. Which is probably what would happen if I were to attempt 37 flights of stairs!

Bella • January 26, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Congrats, Pasta Queen! I can’t believe how fast you made it up all of those stairs!

Hope you’re not feeling too sore today.

Sarah • January 27, 2009 at 12:41 am

Congrats! And seriously, you know Josh Groban? You are SO lucky. I mean, wow, Josh Groban. He is amazing.

jess • January 27, 2009 at 2:45 am

Kudos to you!!! That was an amazing climb. I love when you do these blogvids because it gives us another chance to experience your extremely cute personality. And you know something- you are very pretty! Even after all those stairs, you still looked good! I’m a straight female, so take that as you will LOL

BTW, people, that is not actually Josh Groban on that website- it’s a female fan of his. But I’m sure Josh would like PQ if he ever stumbled upon this blog!

CC • January 27, 2009 at 6:50 am

really loved watching the video and cheered you on from my lunchbreak at the office! even knowing the end it was fun to get the top.

congratulations.

in response to your twitters. on financial stuff, there are useful tools for monitoring expenses then planning a budget that can be printed free from sparkpeople. and craving sugars and starches in a really mad way is a classic sign of winter blues, as opposed to a classic sign of just loving them.

Nancy V. • January 27, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Wow.. just wow!!

Lisa • January 27, 2009 at 2:23 pm

I thought the 12:40 was your time as well. This was such an awesome video! Another thing that impressed me (besides your hair !) was that you did this alone. You didn’t have anyone with you. I wish I could do that. I feel like I don’t belong somewhere that cool if I’m alone.

Thank you for the link also! I’m so excited about how much you were able to raise for these kids!

Heather • January 27, 2009 at 3:31 pm

good job

thanks for the video; my baby loved watching you :)

Deb • January 27, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Man, I felt lazy sitting here on my ass watching you haul it up 37 flights of stairs. Great job!

z • January 28, 2009 at 8:07 pm

It’s so awesome that you participated in that! Go, you! :)

Laura Brandon • February 20, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Josh Groban sponsored you?? Holy crap am I jealous that you have a connection to Josh Groban.

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine