Interesting dishware

I am far too tired from the holiday weekend to churn out a real blog entry today. Instead, I will leave you with this photo I took at the Indianapolis Art Museum last Sunday. From across the gallery it looks like a normal plate.

Plate

But upon careful inspection…yes, there are BUGS painted on it! Insects crawling on the dinnerware!

Plate

I don’t know if I should be grossed out or awed by the cleverness.

anji • December 1, 2008 at 7:39 pm

Reminds me of this piece of work:

Though, this version is kinda cute:

(Dali Llama)

maggie • December 1, 2008 at 8:11 pm

Whoa. Cool. This reminds me of bugs trapped in amber – my favorite jewelery. My boyfriend thinks I’m nuts because I like bugs in my earrings.

K • December 1, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Victorian enthusiasm for natural history in action!

I don’t find the bugs particularly offputting. If they were butterflies, I’m sure nobody would turn a hair…

barbara • December 1, 2008 at 8:32 pm

That’s even grosser than a wing nut in spaghetti! :)

Jenna • December 1, 2008 at 9:45 pm

I don’t normally have a problem with bugs on dinnerwear, but that one bug looks too much like a cockroach to me. *laughs* I’m not sure that I could eat food off of the plate if I paid too much attention to that. lol

Cynthia • December 1, 2008 at 9:59 pm

Totally awed.

Andy L • December 1, 2008 at 10:29 pm

LOL – my dh is an entomologist (bug guy) so we have bugs in the freezer, bugs in boxes around the house and garage (dead and alive), oh it’s a jungle out there! Pretty good eagle eyes, pegging those little fleet feet! Hope you had a great T’giving weekend!

Amy • December 2, 2008 at 1:39 am

An artist with a sense of humor!

MizFit • December 2, 2008 at 6:22 am

I love that.

until I can afford that I shall stick with my plastic skull and cross bones set.

cindy • December 2, 2008 at 6:22 am

That is beautiful! What a neat idea… and it is nice to know that someone was “stepping outside the box” even when appearing to conform to traditional Victorian standards. And yet with such grace! There is a lesson there…

weightlossguru • December 2, 2008 at 9:51 am

The earliest diet-plate?

s • December 2, 2008 at 8:02 pm

haha ew!

SuzyJones • December 3, 2008 at 1:18 am

for those who are afraid and on diet, this dishware is best for them. haha