Fish heads, fish heads…

For the white elephant gift exchange at work this week I recycled the gift I got last year – a $10 gift certificate to White Castle and a bottle of Beano. In exchange, I got an electric fish (who I have named Albert). Most of the office was surprised when I stole Albert from a coworker instead of grabbing for the expensive chocolates or coffee grinder. They think he is tacky, but I think he is the most beautiful fishy in the history of fishes! He’s all swirly colored! I don’t care what other people think. Albert is swimming happily in place on my desk, until the day he inevitably “mysteriously” disappears or finds a coral reef to better occupy him.

Jessica • December 19, 2008 at 8:20 am

Beano! That is what I forgot to get for my husband as a stocking stuffer!

Albert is a cool fish, you just ignore them!

Jill • December 19, 2008 at 8:29 am

I dig Albert! He’s got mad lighting skillz.

Charlie Hills • December 19, 2008 at 9:24 am

You … you … you gave away a White Castle Gift Certificate?

You … you just didn’t use it and … and … gave it away

You can’t do that. That’s like a crime against nature or something. You must eat the sliders. Yes, yes: eat them up, yum.

Kari • December 19, 2008 at 9:39 am

Dude that’s awesome…I like it! Then again my husband and I like odd things sometimes. ;) Like the USB “light tower” we got as a prize at Dave & Busters…you plug it in to a USB port and it’s like a plastic lava lamp thing full of glitter with a color changing LED in the bottom.

We are doing a “dirty Santa” gift exchange for my extended family’s Christmas this year…I got a S’mores Nativity (http://www.santas-depot.com/shopexd.asp?id=6019) for my part. Hubby’s is a bit more normal…a coffee gift set and a Borders gift card. I figured the S’mores Nativity would be an interesting conversation piece…much like your lovely fishy!

PastaQueen • December 19, 2008 at 9:59 am

@Charlie Hills – I LOVE the sliders, but I could not bring myself to buy them. There’s just no excuse really. I would have to be very depressed to eat them and I do my depression eating alone at home.

Ginny • December 19, 2008 at 10:19 am

Dude that fish is cool! I, too, like the tacky. A couple years ago they couldn’t believe I kept the big metal grasshopper. He has been gracing my outdoor window box ever since. =)

Victoria • December 19, 2008 at 10:20 am

I really like your fish! One of my favorite office gadgets for awhile was a plastic Christmas Tree from Think Geek that plugged into my USB port and changed colors.

About the sliders…I can see both sides. But, my husband makes White Castle Stuffing for Thanksgiving, so it probably would’ve been used by now. :) The Beano is a nice pairing.

Laura • December 19, 2008 at 10:32 am

Classy! XD

That song reminds me of Dr. Demento’s radio show in the 80’s. Good times.

sarah • December 19, 2008 at 10:59 am

ooooh aaaaaah sparkly.

Kimberly • December 19, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Albert has je ne sais quoi. I’d have snagged him too. You can find a coffee grinder anywhere. Fish like Albert are a rare breed.

s • December 19, 2008 at 3:21 pm

fishy!!

Quix • December 19, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Albert is awesome! And since I haven’t eaten fast food in 3 years, I totally understand the re-gift. I would have done the same thing. :)

amy_jo • December 19, 2008 at 3:37 pm

I used to want to try White Castle so badly (we don’t have them in my are of western Michigan).

That is, until my husband pointed out how disgusting it is to refer to small patties of greasy beef as “sliders”.

Just the mention of White Castle now makes me wince. Good white elephant gift, fo’ sho’.

DonnaLynn • December 19, 2008 at 4:39 pm

I’d have snagged him, too. I love fish. And this one is so low maintenance. You don’t have to clean filters, vacuum gravel, or worry about loving children over feeding him.

-DonnaLynn in flooded Hawaii

anji • December 19, 2008 at 4:59 pm

I hope the gift certficate doesn’t expire after a year!

Whooops :S

Sarah Fowler • December 19, 2008 at 5:47 pm

@Jill – Ooh yes I agree.

Charlie Hills • December 19, 2008 at 8:01 pm

@PastaQueen – Yeah, I can see that. It’s probably for the best!

G.G. • December 19, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Wow. That fish is just . . . wow. You, uh, enjoy him. It’s good he has someone who can appreciate him like he, um, deserves:=)

Amy • December 19, 2008 at 11:31 pm

I was prepared to like Albert. But sorry, he is just not that appealing. Even a little bit ugly. Glad he found a home with you, though.

tonya • December 20, 2008 at 6:27 pm

I love Albert and I am so happy he found a home. Everyone know White Castle is addictive. One is never enough and one of their briefcases full of burgers wouldn’t satisfy once anyone got started. If you are one of those who can eat just one you are an alien and as anyone who has seen The Day The Earth Stood Still you must be eliminated before it is too late. Just look at Albert as your rescuer from White Castle sabatogue. Oh Darn! Now I am desperately craving one and I would have to cross the state line to get one on the last saturday shopping day before Christmas. I will go to sleep with visions of White Castle french fries in my head. Merry Christmas and a good year to fish lovers everywhere. Tonya

K • December 20, 2008 at 7:59 pm

I think Albert is a perfect cubicle fish. There are items which are meant to be cubicle decorations, and he is one.

I think I’ve got what “White Castle Sliders” are, but “Beano”? Where I come from, that’s a children’s weekly comic.

Inny • December 20, 2008 at 8:01 pm

I like the song that goes with the video, that’s the first time I hear it.

PastaQueen • December 21, 2008 at 11:11 am

@K – Here’s a link that should explain Beano: http://www.beanogas.com/

It’s a pill that prevents gas if you take it before you eat something gassy.

Heather W • December 24, 2008 at 2:39 pm

I like Albert. He’s pretty and perfect for an office. Nice video.