Your life in ten years and 100 characters

I was clicking on pictures of my high school reunion on Facebook yesterday, feeling about 70% sad I wasn’t able to attend. I saw a couple faces that looked familiar, but slightly different, like the updated logo on the Pepsi can. People were older and fatter and had less hair, but they seemed to be having a good time, or faking it rather well. There were at least a handful of people I would have liked to have seen in 3D instead of on my flatscreen monitor.

The other 30% of me was glad I did not have to question every life decision I’ve made in the last 10 years, that I didn’t have to wonder what my life could have been like if I’d turned left instead of right, if I’d met a guy or had a baby, if I’d started a business or gotten another job. I’m pretty happy with my life, even with my headache and the recession and the toilet that seems to be breaking again. Yet, everyone can fall victim to that Virus of the Mind as Heather Nova put it. When faced with a decision between entering the past of my reunion or making future relationships with other bloggers, it was easy to chose the future.

I was also glad that I did not have to summarize the past 10 years of my life in a succinct format. Although I did not attend the reunion, I’m sure the most common question there that night was, “So what have you been up to?” I tried to think of what I would have said, which made me try to remember what was going on in my life when I graduated high school. I’ve come so far since then it’s like I’m on a different coast. But if I had to give summary of the landmarks along the way, I would say:

Got fat, got a cat, lost weight, left the state, wrote blog, wrote book, check me out on Facebook.

It’s less than 100 characters and it even rhymes! (I cheated by rhyming “book” with “Facebook,” so I’ll obviously never be the Poet Laureate.) If you had to describe the last 10 years of your life in 100 characters or less, what would you say? Let me know in the comments. You can check your answer’s length in the box below, but remember to actually post it in the comments area. And if you go over a little, I doubt anyone will care.

dietgirl • November 11, 2008 at 7:38 am

got fat, got sad, got visa, scotland move, fell in love, eloped in vegas, wrote book, doin’ ok now :)

(I love your line about “it was easy to choose the future” :)

Christy • November 11, 2008 at 8:02 am

joined the army, toured the world, met a guy, left the army, moved to germany with the guy, ate a lot of schnitzel, got fat, found blogging (reading/writing) was helpful with weightloss, became a government contractor…still on journey to lose weight…oh and i picked up 2 cats :-)

Cathy • November 11, 2008 at 8:50 am

went to college, quit college, got married to sailor, had a baby, had another baby, hubby out of navy, moved back to hometown, lost baby to SIDS, had another baby, bought house, finished college, lost house to hurricane, bought another house, life has settled down finally….

lolfitness • November 11, 2008 at 8:53 am

Found a 5 year job. Found a life partner. Never stopped studying, never stopped gaming. Fit too now!

Charlie Hills • November 11, 2008 at 8:59 am

Wrote a book or 2 or 3.

Is that what I want to be?

Perhaps it is! Although a chore.

Let’s get on with Number 4.

I cheated: it’s eleventy-one characters, even after writing the digits instead of spelling them out.

As for the ten year reunion: ten years is nothing. I wanted until my 20th before I went to my first reunion and I’m glad I did. Now you can too.

Maria • November 11, 2008 at 9:13 am

went to school, still in school, got a good job, met a man, love him lots, need to move

Flora • November 11, 2008 at 9:16 am

[I started out with a haiku, my new favorite art form:]

Lived in Netherlands.

Moved back. Worked. Split up. Had dog.

And now back to school!

[then I thought that didn't really tell the whole story, so I added:]

Good music.

Good friends.

Good times.

Judging from my experience you didn’t really miss much at your reunion. Let me just say that they set up the bar right by the door for a reason. It was almost funny the way people walked in the door and immediately realized, oh God, I need a drink. I’m not usually a big drinker, but it happened to me too. I like the day-to-day updates on Facebook much better as a way of keeping in touch.

Liz • November 11, 2008 at 9:44 am

off to city, dated junkie, dressed funky; fled NYC, lost sanity, bankruptcy; fat ahoy!, found boy

Joanne • November 11, 2008 at 10:02 am

Worked in NYC, got Masters, moved apts. & jobs, moved back to IN, got married, had kids, life over.

Shana • November 11, 2008 at 10:21 am

Chapter 1: Got married at age 19, had two kids, got a degree, grew up and got a divorce.

Chapter 2: Got married, gained a kid, had another kid, got another degree, got some therapy, got two cats, lost 45 pounds and got happy.

Jessica • November 11, 2008 at 10:41 am

I love yours! Fantastic :)

When I’ve run into people from high school, almost all are surprised at what I do. They thought I’d be an artist. I have school loans. ;)

So, for 100 words? I think you said it best: Check me out on Facebook.

JEM • November 11, 2008 at 10:55 am

Went to college, gained weight, got degree, got job I enjoy in completely different field, bought a townhouse, met the love of my life, married him, gained more weight, infertility issues, longing for a baby, diagnosed with PCOS, working hard to lose weight, enjoying time with Hubby, working my way up the corporate ladder.

jkd • November 11, 2008 at 11:01 am

Got married, bought house, broke up, sold house, turned 30, moved to NYC, edit books, date Greek.

(and I skipped my 15-year reunion)

K • November 11, 2008 at 11:47 am

Off to uni, met J, read, year in France, BA, MA, sold books, temped, chose career, blogged, ran, wed, MLitt, guineapigs.

100 exactly! It leaves out an awful lot… but so does any description.

I went to my ten-year reunion and enjoyed it, but there were only seven girls from my year in attendance, which might have helped. (It was a reunion for anyone who left in a year ending in 7.)

Quix • November 11, 2008 at 11:55 am

I loved your poem so I’ll try my hand at a rhyming one, but I need more then 100 characters. :)

Got degree, apathy, ate and drank, muscles shrank, crawled up the gaming corporate ladder, got fatter, got the the top, head almost popped, ran away, time to play, house was bought, lost weight – a lot.

Abby • November 11, 2008 at 11:56 am

Broke a heart, went abroad, studied art, out of work, second degree, got a job, happy with me, fell in love.

Madison • November 11, 2008 at 12:15 pm

gained weight. lost weight. gained weight. lost weight. gained weight. OKAY, my next 10 years will be different, and more productive.

Kate • November 11, 2008 at 12:27 pm

moved across the pond, met my love, re-trained as a teacher, lost a ton of weight, having twins, very happy

Chrissy • November 11, 2008 at 12:35 pm

@Liz – haha this one made me laugh

Lynette • November 11, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Bought a house, got a dog, changed jobs four times, beat cervical cancer, finished my master’s degree in Medieval History, lost and gained and am now losing a ton of weight and lost the love of my life to a heart attack :(

My reunions have been, for the most part, fun because of the friends that were able to attend. I didn’t go to the 25th one this summer as I just had too much to deal with over David’s death. I heard that I didn’t miss much…

Alex • November 11, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Got married

divorce

married

got a horse

Paid mortgage

fly a plane

love a man

who voted for McCain

Anna • November 11, 2008 at 1:28 pm

boston, london, chicago, krakow, tucson, MA in illinois, working on PHD in indiana, sewing, cats & dog

funny how the 3 long term relationships didn’t make it onto the list but the cats and dog did … i guess i know what my priorities are, right? :)

Denise • November 11, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Lost 100 pounds. Found 100 pounds. Married the love of my life. Bought a house. Found Happiness.

Ginny • November 11, 2008 at 2:23 pm

letter carrier, married, first home, got dog, pain-spiral, drugs, new house, new baby, new focus

I didn’t want to attend my 10 year reunion. My sister talked me into it, and it was awful. It was like everyone was back in high school. We left early. Maybe it’s best that you viewed it on Facebook. Looking back, I would have greatly preferred that to actually going.

Deanna • November 11, 2008 at 2:50 pm

I went to the 10 year reunion – HS all over again, just attended the 20 year and it was 1000 times better – no one cares, and everyone was just nice and pleasant to talk to !!

cloudy • November 11, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Travel, quit school, work, travel, divorce, party, fun, 2 cats, work, new marriage & baby at near 40. Quit sugar!

Liz • November 11, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Found Yoga, a wonderful man, a great house, a good job, and crafty hobbies. Lost Conservatism, my hometown and bad food.

–dang, that was hard! Clearly PQ is a much better writer than me!

Elizabeth • November 11, 2008 at 4:11 pm

went to uni in scotland, fell for the city, lost weight and started running. feelin’ good.

love your blog…. :)

Esmeralda • November 11, 2008 at 4:20 pm

That’s bloody clever.

Now I’m thinking about mine… I wonder if I missed it… I wonder when it will be/ was/ is? I wonder if they’ll let me in cause I graduated through the college instead of the highschool? I wonder if my history teacher is as cute as I remember?

Steve@weightlossweapons.com • November 11, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Met a girl, found a job, married the girl, bought a house, gained some weight, had 2 girls (well the girl did), gained more weight, lost weight, blogged about it and living happily ever after.

Ashley • November 11, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Lost weight, went to school, gained weight, learned to drool, got job, met my man, gettied married, that’s the plan!

That’s hard! I dunno how many characters I used because I got bored with counting after 50. :D

Ashley • November 11, 2008 at 4:37 pm

@Ashley – oops, that’s getting*

MaryK • November 11, 2008 at 5:03 pm

32 years in exactly 100 characters:

Two husbands, one great son, big career, religious phase, fat thin fat etc ad nauseum; doing ok now.

MaryK • November 11, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Oops… I screwed up and summarized the whole 32 years since high school. Here’s exactly 100 characters on just the last 10 years:

New husband, new career, new car. Same kid, house. Went gray, then back to blond. Blond is better.

Denise • November 11, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Met a man, graduated, took boards, passed, became an RN, got job, got the man and step son, got married, changed jobs, bought house, started home business, living my happily ever after.

Andy lee • November 11, 2008 at 6:38 pm

found a life, found a man, made a baby, bought a van.

Lyn • November 11, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Divorced with kids

Worked, slaved

Got degrees

New world braved.

Another husband

daughter, too.

Fighting weight always

…still do.

Bella • November 11, 2008 at 7:03 pm

Love my school/job, love my house, got my masters, started losing a lot of weight, and feel amazing!

s • November 11, 2008 at 8:12 pm

developed. moved to NE usa. got a bs. got a cat. got a job. fell in love. moved. getting a phd.

BB • November 11, 2008 at 8:21 pm

Found out my husband was a stinker, made me a thinker; divorced the shit; now I wanna get fit. Takin care of my boys with all their noise, workin each day to make their futures ok :)

Penny Broome • November 11, 2008 at 9:26 pm

Got married, got skinny, had 2 kids, got looney, bought a house, bought 2 cars, livin’ the dream with my sugar-free-fat-free-imitation Klondike bars.

Marty Bird • November 11, 2008 at 10:19 pm

Got divorced, learned who I really am, bought a car & a condo, made new friends, got a little older.

Sarah • November 11, 2008 at 10:46 pm

school, b&n, met man, got dog, tire company swing, chicago for awhile, Philips now, married in may!

that was hard! lousy reunions. mine is in Cali, so I kindly declined :}

Lydia • November 12, 2008 at 12:28 am

Had three daughters, moved overseas, moved back, moved again. TIRED.

Valerie • November 12, 2008 at 12:53 am

For the past 10 years:

Finished Phd. Had kid. Got a job. Lost weight. Had another kid (gained weight). Got better job. Lost most of the weight again. Got promoted.

Five year plan:

Stability!

moonduster • November 12, 2008 at 4:06 am

Married my prince. Moved to another country. Had seven kids. Got fat. Got thin again (or will). Writing books. Opening shops. Got a degree. Published. Taught. Got a cat. Got a dog. (too tired this morning to make it rhyme.)

smrbjrun • November 12, 2008 at 5:32 am

Realized that all that matters is each and every day. My tomorrow is possible but someone greater then me holds that control. I have learned to love today as it might not be tomorrow.

PurpleGirl • November 12, 2008 at 5:54 am

Fell in love, didn’t work out, life exploded, ran away from home, still no degree or man, stayed fat, but happy.

Boilergrad93 • November 12, 2008 at 6:04 am

Got masters in Buffalo, moved home, work at bank, love job, looking for Mr Right, gained weight, losing weight (very, very slowly), read Half-Assed…TWICE!!

I didn’t go to my 10 year reunion, and don’t regret it. My 20th was this past summer…Had a WONDERFUL time!!!

Charlie Hills • November 12, 2008 at 7:19 am

@Joanne – Life over? Zoinks!

Bethama • November 12, 2008 at 7:55 am

Unhappy in junior high, high school, college, and abroad. Finally decided to just be happy already.

Rachel • November 12, 2008 at 8:39 am

Got pregnant. Applied to nursing school. Got pregnant. Started nursing school. Got pregnant. Finished nursing school. Got pregnant. Became a nurse. Homeschool four kids and give 300 flu shots twice a year.

Hide Those Cookies • November 12, 2008 at 9:15 am

Gained 110 pounds, graduated high school, got job, college, grad school, job, back to grad school, lost 50 pounds (so far)

Little Warrior's Mom • November 12, 2008 at 9:23 am

3 more babies, 1 with cancer. Got the call, started seminary. Cancer again. Start, stop, start again.

anon • November 12, 2008 at 9:26 am

learnt italian. loved man. got degree. 2gr8jobs,1bad. 5countries. struggled with MA,health,weight.

Sheila • November 12, 2008 at 10:50 am

Survived my children’s truly hellish teen years

faye • November 12, 2008 at 11:01 am

went to college twice, got fatter, getting thinner, moved thrice,, found a mortgage, found & lost love, finding love again

Clinton Walker III • November 12, 2008 at 12:25 pm

I went to my reunion. I was 125 when I graduated but was 185 all muscles at the 10 year reunion.. Regardless 10 year is good because you are still relatively young but there is always the 20 year.

Laura • November 12, 2008 at 3:31 pm

In IN got schooled,

MT got smaller,

and IL got bigger.

Now work for docs and play the stocks

In life I pull the trigger.

Lynn Haraldson-Bering • November 12, 2008 at 3:46 pm

stayed married, got fat, got thin, lost my period, found my voice, discovered chardonnay, became a grandma

gill • November 12, 2008 at 4:03 pm

finished school, finished uni, got fat, hate teaching, meet a boy, get less fat, move to NZ, grow hair for baldy men, love the beach and the boy

Rina • November 12, 2008 at 5:02 pm

got fat, got married, got a third cat, still trying to lose the fat, still trying to write the book

Kelly • November 12, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Just read your book. AWESOME…and yeah, it lead me to your blog. Newbie blogger here…starting out as you did. Maybe I’ll write a book about a year or so from now. There can never be too many bloggers-turned-writers out there writing books about huge weight loss to inspire others to do the same! I wouldn’t mind at all if you added my blog to your link list either, hardy har har. Fine job on the book AND the weight loss.

Your neighbor in Ohio, Kelly

S • November 12, 2008 at 8:32 pm

Got abused Hated it Got depressed Now over it Lost my best friend Still devastated Married soulmate!

Fitness Surfer • November 12, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Got degree, married, job, pregnant, quit job, pregnant again, gained 40, lost 30, started blogging.

Brittany Long • November 12, 2008 at 9:26 pm

Wish you could’ve made the reunion! It wasn’t exactly how you pictured, I promise :). Here’s my try at 100 characters: loved WKU, Spain & Brazil, lived year in Ecuador, taught HS Spanish 4 years, got married, got house & 2 dogs, work for State Farm, sadly divorcing, overall happy

Rachael • November 13, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Found soulmate, finished college, found job that makes a difference, made great internet freinds, struggled with childhood issues, grew up, found my voice, still learning about myself, still working on making myself the best me

Melissa • November 13, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Went to MATC; Dropped out then went to WLC, mom got sick, graduated, became a cop, mom died, quit being a cop, went to insurance, then married then divorced, now engaged; no kids, one dog, two cats.

MS_Sarah • November 14, 2008 at 12:18 am

I too skipped my 10 year last year. Actually, come to think of it, they never invited me! I saw the pics on Facebook though. I’m seriously glad I skipped. It would have been too painful. But… here’s my hundo. no rhymng, tho.

Did college; Austin TX, got Masters; southern belle; got dog, house, dog # 2, ABD; still nerd queen

nolafwug • November 14, 2008 at 10:37 am

Went south, dropped out, had kid, started biz;

Hurricane, kid two, biz success, fitness, happiness!

Wow, that was fun!

Natalie@Something Beautiful or Humorous • November 17, 2008 at 10:03 pm

Married a great guy, graduated from law school, had 2 kids, stayed in VA all the while intending to move back to UT, and yes, people would notice with empathy, I hope, that I have gained a bunch of weight. :(

I recently went to a 10 yr reunion (not high school, just some dear friends from a big church congregation I attended when I was single) and my conversations were mostly about my kids. Thank goodness no one said anything about the weight. I am up like 50 lbs since then. :(

PQ, you would have been lucky to be explaining the reverse situation. Actually, there was a guy at my reunion who had surgery & lost a TON of weight. I just pretended like he had a new haircut or something: “Wow, you look great!”

Angie • November 19, 2008 at 9:45 am

Moved down south, moved back home, got sick, moved down south again. Got meds, got better, got skinny, fell in love, moved up north with guy (wha?). Got realistic about love, got my own place, sister moved in, went to college. Finally really starting to appreciate job, man, family, self. Am now fatter yet happier and stronger than ever before.

Holy cow. It’s kind of fun to think about it in such simple terms instead of focusing on all of the morbid details. Granted, it’s not all beer and skittles but I think I am going to be okay. What an unfamiliar yet totally awesome feeling.

skinnyjeans • November 25, 2008 at 6:26 pm

@jkd -

Where in NYC?

Alexia • November 26, 2008 at 1:01 pm

I loved reading these!!! Some funny, some bittersweet, etc.

I missed the 10, 15, 20 year reunions… No desire to go to one. Keep in touch with a few folks from time to time.

Hmm. 10 years. Age 30-40.

Was a cougar, looked for trouble; Met my soulmate, kids in double; Lifes ups and downs, found in pounds.

Or…

Crazy, wild, confused inside. All that past can step aside. Life is good, and getting better — Running, swimming, and getting fitter.

Best I can do in short notice. :-P

Pam • July 12, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Took care of & lost my dad, married off two sons, became grandma twice, graduated one son from college, nursed hubby after 3 surgeries and one cancer scare, am over halfway to losing 150 lbs., and celebrated 40 years of marriage.