Single-serving oatmeal pancake

I live alone, so I like recipes that create a single serving without leftovers to binge on. This week I experimented with a recipe Kathy left in the comments on my oatmeal visit entry last week.

Oatmeal pancake ingredients

Single-serving oatmeal pancake

1/2 cup of quick oats

2 teaspoons of Splenda

1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon

1 egg

1/4 cup milk or soy milk

Mix together the oats, Splenda and cinnamon in a small microwave-safe bowl.

Oatmeal dry ingredients mixed

Then mix in the egg and soymilk.

Oatmeal wet  ingredients

Microwave the bowl for three and a half minutes.

Oatmeal pancake cooked

Lift out pancake onto serving plate and enjoy! Or you can eat it straight out of the bowl. Just a note: I guesstimated the ingredient measurements. I’ve just been eye-balling the amounts until the mixture looks good. At first I tried it without any milk, but it was too dry, so adjust that measurement depending on how gooey you want the pancake.

If you’d prefer to make this as a muffin, you could probably microwave it in a small mug and scrape out the end result using a spatula. Either way, it’s a quick and easy way to eat some carbs and protein in the morning without creating a batch of muffins, which I always end up binging on. Thanks, Kathy!

Oatmeal pancake pretty

Liz • November 26, 2008 at 8:17 am

Hi,

I can’t remember how I got here (I’ve been clicking on so many links) but I’m glad I found you. I am inspired and can’t wait to take a look at your books, both “Half-Assed” and “Blog to Book”. Thanks for your advice, and courage to make it all happen.

John's Weight Loss Blog • November 26, 2008 at 8:18 am

Single serving recipes are a great idea.

Laura • November 26, 2008 at 8:56 am

Saw this just before I went to forage for breakfast, so I gave it a try. Very different in consistency, but I liked it, and so much healthier than a regular pancake! I think next time I’l try it topped with fruit and maybe with some nuts tossed into the batter. Thanks!

nicole • November 26, 2008 at 9:26 am

Looks awesome! I noticed you were using splenda again, I might have missed this but did the organic thing not work for you? Well obviously it didn’t if you’re back to splenda :-) Was it tough going completely organic? How long did you last? Just wondering what your eperience was with that. Have an great day!

Jolene • November 26, 2008 at 10:00 am

Love the single serving idea!

Happy Thanksgiving.

BrightAngel • November 26, 2008 at 10:39 am

I have a very similiar recipe for a

high-protein oatmeal breakfast muffin

Oatmeal Applesauce Microwave Muffin

3 slightly beaten egg-whites

2 pkg Splenda

1/2 tsp Cinnamon

2 tb unsweetened applesauce

1 tsp ground flaxseed (optional)

1/4 cup uncooked Oatmeal (not instant)

Spray a 1 cup cereal bowl with non-stick coating (I like Crisco Butter flavored)

Stir ingredients together in bowl

Place bowl in microwave for 2 minutes

Cover bowl with saucer and invert it to turn out muffin.

Cut it into 6 wedges.

Calories 143

Protein 13.87 g

PastaQueen • November 26, 2008 at 10:47 am

@nicole – Oh yeah, that organic/no-artificial-sweetener diet did not last long. I’ll try to remember to write about it soon.

BrightAngel • November 26, 2008 at 10:49 am

I also have a similiar recipe for Pancakes

Oatmeal-EggWhite Pancakes

Preheat large fry pan on High

and then spray with non-stick butter coating

Place in small or 1 cup bowl,

3 slightly beaten egg whites

1/4 cup uncooked oatmeal (not instant)

1 tsp ground flaxseed (optional)

Stir ingredients together.

Pour mixture into skillet to form 2 pancakes.

Cook on high until one side brown,

Turn and cook other side until brown.

Put on plate, no butter,

Add 1/4 cup Splenda maple syrup (35 cal)

Calories before syrup: 137

Protein: 13.74 g.

Two Pancakes with syrup 172 calories.

Loup • November 26, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Call it coincidence, but I got this link in an email saying “eating sucralose–brand name Splenda–is like ingesting tiny amounts of chlorinated pesticides”

Maybe its something you should check out.

Love the pancake idea btw.. i’d subsitute honey for the splenda

PastaQueen • November 26, 2008 at 12:56 pm

@Loup – Personally, I don’t think there is any harm in eating Splenda. There are always people who are afraid of new products, and I respect their decision not to eat Splenda, but I have no qualms about using it. And that link requires registration, so I can’t read the article anyway.

Tiffany • November 26, 2008 at 1:20 pm

At first, the idea of putting oatmeal and an egg in a bowl for breakfast sounds… uh… less than appetizing. But then I remember all the vats of oatmeal cookie dough I’ve consumed over the years and suddenly, it seems freakin’ brilliant!

Ashley • November 26, 2008 at 3:13 pm

I like your bowls:)

PastaQueen • November 26, 2008 at 3:22 pm

@Ashley – Thanks! I got them on clearance at Target.

xtrainer • November 26, 2008 at 3:22 pm

You know, that looks delicious. Waking up (super) early in the morning for personal training sessions I need quick and easy breakfast ideas. Gonna have to give this one a try.

Shelly • November 26, 2008 at 4:40 pm

I had to laugh reading this post. This is how I eat my oatmeal. I don’t like it all runny and soft or mushy so I always use less water/milk and it comes out like a mini muffin. I guess I’ve been doing the pancake thing all along – who knew. Hope you are feeling better. You are an inspiration and fun to read!

Sabs • November 27, 2008 at 6:25 am

I am so tired of eating borring old oats in the traditional way each morning, I think I should try this recipe.

Mandi • November 27, 2008 at 6:27 pm

Oatmeal has been a good addition to my own weight managing diet. Although I don’t live alone, we are on weird schedules that leave us all cooking for ourselves, at least for breakfast. So the single portion thing has been key for me, too. I think a lot of people really can use it!

Here’s my oatmeal recipe, modified from a friend’s more elaborate invention to fit Weight Watcher’s Core. It’s made from organic steel cut oats (I get a box for less than $3 at my Trader Joes) – they take awhile to cook, kind of like brown rice . . . but I cook up a big batch, and then just microwave it in portions. Cold oatmeal in the fridge is not something I am likely to binge upon LOL!

Oatmeal Custard

2 cups steel cut oats

8 cups water

sprinkle of salt

tiny handful of raisins, if you like them. (I can’t use artificial sweetners, so this sweetens it adequately for me.)

Toss in large pot, simmer on low. Ignore until cooked. Store in fridge. (Like those complex directions? LOL!)

To make up the individual custard servings, I put about 1/4 cup cooked oats in a small microwave safe bowl, break an egg into the bowl, and whisk in about 1-2 tablespoons water. (You can use milk if you want something more custardy, but it counts for WW points.) When the whole thing is whisked smooth, cook in microwave on 50% power for 3 minutes. Stir around 2 minute mark if feeling ambitious.

Niagaraview • November 28, 2008 at 10:12 am

O.M.G.

First off, I just want to say that I am NOT a fan of oatmeal. It’s okay, but I find it to be rather bland no matter what’s in it, and a serving doesn’t really satisfy me. This recipe however intrigued me (I can eat oatmeal, with my hands?!? how??)

I went to the store and got some instant oatmeal packs. I LOVED IT. I loved it so much I made it twice yesterday while waiting for turkey, and again for breakfast this morning. Thanks for sharing!

Amy • November 28, 2008 at 6:39 pm

We found pancake batter in a can at Costco! 3-pack for about $11 in the refrigerated section. It’s all organic ingredients, nothing weird. You just squirt it out into the skillet like it was a can of Redi-Whip, but it’s pancakes! Easy to cap it off and stick it back in the fridge.

Kym • December 5, 2008 at 10:03 pm

I ate this for breakfast (with many modifications)!

Firstly, I microwaved an egg, 30 grams of cup quick oats and a 1/2 cup of milk for two minutes.

Then I mixed it around a bit and microwaved it again for a minute.

During this time, I sliced up a banana. Then I microwaved everything together for another minute.

—-

I should’ve really done it your way. :| But mine tasted alright (adding an egg to oatmeal makes porridge so fulfilling!).

Melanie Gross • December 6, 2008 at 11:57 am

I am diabetic and my usual breakfast is a package of high fiber Quaker oatmeal with a protein such as an egg. The protien combined with the carbs in the oatmeal keeps my blood glucose levels from spiking. This recipe sounds great. I can even substitute the egg for 2 egg whites and probably still get my protein without the cholesterol. Thanks.

Jenn with 2 enns • January 25, 2009 at 5:54 pm

@PastaQueen and Ashley -

I’ve been back-reading entries and have been admiring your plates and bowls, too! Pretty! And we all know that food tastes better when it looks good. :)

Miz Robyn • January 31, 2009 at 11:11 am

I printed out this recipe way back when you posted it and FINALLY gave it a try this morning. I really like the consistency of it, and it’s pretty filling! Two thumbs up! (I might add some frozen blueberries to it next time.)

Site Meter