Guest post on Refuse to Regain blog

I’m a fan of Refuse to Regain, a blog run by Dr. Barbara Berkeley and Lynn Haraldson-Bering about the oft overlooked topic of weight maintenance. You may remember Lynn from the People “Half Their Size” issue or her appearances on The Today Show or Oprah, and Dr. Berkeley just released a book called, fittingly enough, Refuse to Regain!: 12 Tough Rules to Maintain the Body You’ve Earned!. Their detailed, thoughtful articles often help me refocus on the never-ending struggle to keep the weight off.

They were kind enough to let me guest blog on their site today about the difficulties of maintaining weight while suffering from chronic pain. So hop on over there to read 4 Tips for Maintaining Your Weight While Suffering from Chronic Pain.

JEM • November 24, 2008 at 12:00 pm

I hate that you have to endure such wretched pain. The article was really great though!!

Steph • November 24, 2008 at 12:52 pm

Thanks so much for that. It’s something that I’m coming to terms with as I go through my annual sinus crud. I’ve spent most of the last 2 weeks going between feeling like crap and feeling sorta ok despite the head filled with cement. My endurance, however, is down to nothing. 3 weeks ago I could do a 40 min HIIT workout like it was nothing. Now I get winded walking upstairs.

I go between pushing it and giving up, neither of which was helping. Reading this heled me realize I just need to do less – dialing down the intensity of my activity to give my body the chance to rest, but still do what I could.

Elizabeth • November 24, 2008 at 3:18 pm

Thanks for the article link… I’m not suffering from chronic pain, but the principles are still useful for me… thanks for the support! :-)

And, Steph, I’m sure you have heard this before… but, you should try a neti-pot… I use one every other day now and I have been able to go off all my allergy meds (and they were bad!) AND I haven’t had a sinus infection since I started using it!

petunia • November 24, 2008 at 4:59 pm

GREAT post over there, as always.

And for someone who did the whole got-to-goal-and-regained-thing, that site is a perfect resource! Thanks for the tip!

elife • November 24, 2008 at 8:04 pm

I’m watching a re-run of House and there’s a guy with cluster headaches. And House puts him on magic mushrooms *because they have psilocybins” to cure it. Oh yeah, YOU’RE WELCOME. Now go book your flight to Amsterdam.

On a serious note, I’m sorry about your headaches :(

Amanda • November 24, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Okay, sorry if you’ve heard this a thousand times before, I’m sure you have, but did you try cutting out artificial sweeteners from your diet to see what affect it might have on your headaches?

It’s hard to believe the thought has never crossed your mind before, but I just had to say it.

I do hope you feel better soon.

PastaQueen • November 24, 2008 at 9:06 pm

@Amanda – You’re right, Amanda. I *have* heard that a thousand times.

Sara • November 25, 2008 at 1:26 pm

Have you tried an elimination diet? Years ago, I was getting chronic headaches, and after trying everything, I did an elimination diet, which means eliminating the most common allergenic foods from your diet one by one. (such as dairy, wheat, soy, etc.) It turned out I had food allergies, and when I changed my diet, the headaches disappeared literally overnight. Good luck.

ben's mom on a diet • November 25, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Great post and I’m so sorry about your chronic pain. I also suffer from chronic pain headaches for the past few years. It seems like my body has kind of adjusted and maybe my tolerance for the pain has just increased. But I know how sick it can make you feel. Best of luck, Ginger, and you really should check out a fred astaire-ginger rogers film… sometimes they make great medicine too.

Steph • November 25, 2008 at 6:28 pm

@Elizabeth – *sigh* yes, I’ve had it recommended to me to use a neti pot. I’ve resisted. But it may be time to break down and give it a go. If it will keep me from having this crud again, any grossness will be worth it. :)

Donna • November 25, 2008 at 6:46 pm

I lost 43 pounds over 7 months which I had gained over 7 years. That was in 1999 and, as I started to gain weight after 8 years, I said, “No more.” And so now I’m back to my WW goal weight. We all know how to do it. Love your book and love your blog!