Dancing in the dark (among other things)

When I was in North Carolina, we went to see Stereolab play, only my brain got a little twisted and thought we were going to see Stereophonics. So when a French chick with a keyboard walked out, I had a small epiphany. “Oh, StereoLAB! They’re good too, but I guess they won’t be playing the theme to the British version of The Office.” Stereolab was good, but their opening act, Atlas Sound…well, I hope someone steals the audio equipment off his tour bus so he will stop spreading his sonic misery across the country.

During the concert I witnessed the most odd and extraordinary bout of multi-tasking that I’ve ever seen. It was so weird that I did my best to record the action for you, as though I was present for a yeti sighting. Alas, the room was lit only by Christmas lights, so even after applying a brightening filter it’s hard to tell what this woman is doing. She’s dancing while knitting.

Dancing knitter from PastaQueen on Vimeo.

I am impressed 1) That she can knit in the dark whereas I always have to glance at my stitches when I watch TV and 2) That she has such amazing dexterity. She’s really shaking her tail feather, and yet she can purl one, knit two without dropping a stitch while the beat drops. I have to wonder though, why she is knitting in the dark at a Stereolab concert? Is there an impending birth for which she absolutely must finish a baby bonnet? Is she like Madame Defarge and secretly transcribing the music of the event to later be translated into MP3 format to bootleg on the Internet?

The strangest place I’ve ever knitted was the world’s most boring Calculus class my freshman year of college, taught by a Korean TA with poor English skills. I brought the knitting mostly out of boredom. The only entertaining moment of that class was when the instructor was talking about a function called “F of U” written like Fu but through his thick accent accidentally told the class to fuck off.

Overall the concert was great, especially since they sold earplugs at the bar for only 50 cents. They could have gorged me for at least three dollars. What hospitable people! I also got the scoop on the best place to park from Lanae, my BlogAds sales rep, because their offices are literally across the street from the club. BlogAds is responsible for the ads that sometimes appear in the right sidebar, usually for SELF magazine or the latest fiction release. I visited their offices earlier in the day and grabbed some free T-shirts, including my new Perez Hilton pink tee. No one there was knitting while working.

s • October 2, 2008 at 8:50 am

dancing knitters. at an indie rock concert. that’s at least 3 layers of hipster!

dietgirl • October 2, 2008 at 9:07 am

OOoh i love love love the ‘Lab!

that really is some bloody impressive yet baffling multi-tasking :)

Squeedlefish • October 2, 2008 at 9:31 am

Wow. I can’t knit while sitting still in a quiet room.

Inny • October 2, 2008 at 10:42 am

My intro physics class was somewhat similar. The teacher had a thick Indian accent which only I could understand because I have an accent myself. She came to class wearing a Sari and wearing her hair in a thick black braid that was so long it went all the way down to her waist. I learned very little physics but by the end of the course I was an expert in Indian fashion.

minus10 • October 2, 2008 at 12:17 pm

How did she keep from stabbing people? Seems like a dumb thing to do, waving sharp pointy things around in the dark.

Sara • October 2, 2008 at 1:19 pm

You must have been near Carrboro. Or Boone. Only places in NC I can imagine someone actually dancing while knitting. Knitting, yes. Dancing, yes. At the same time? Wow!

Abby • October 2, 2008 at 1:52 pm

That is really impressive! I always have to go back and count my stitches so I can remember if I’m supposed to knit or purl the next one.

PastaQueen • October 2, 2008 at 2:26 pm

@Sara – Indeed it was Carrboro.

Lanae • October 2, 2008 at 2:48 pm

I feel totally famous now. Jennette it was a pleasure to see you again :-)

Lanae

p. potter • October 2, 2008 at 3:03 pm

you read Perez?

I’d never have guessed!

PastaQueen • October 2, 2008 at 4:31 pm

@p. potter – No, I don’t, I just wanted the free shirt :)

cindy • October 2, 2008 at 7:51 pm

My brother knits while he does most anything (but I don’t think he dances…). He says it has helped to make him a much better “waiter” (as in someone who waits in line, not a restaurant employee). And he makes really COOL stuff! He taught me how to knit, but I have the attention span of a gnat, so it didn’t stick, unfortunately.

Julie • October 3, 2008 at 12:36 am

So did she have the extra yarn like slung on her somewhere? How freaking odd!!

Benita • October 3, 2008 at 6:54 am

Knitting while dancing, eh? Well, I guess I need to continue trying to knit while on the treadmill. At least I would be able to glance down at my stitches. :P

Isabelle • October 4, 2008 at 6:36 am

I could probably dance and knit at the same time but you wouldn’t want to wear the result. Did you actually see the perfectly-formed socks drop completed from her needles?

VerseFameBeauty • October 4, 2008 at 12:21 pm

In college my junior year I had a professor who used to flick the class off because when he counted on his fingers for emphasis he folded down all the other fingers. We all laughed the first time he did it, and he was one of those adorable but weird professors who hasn’t understood what’s really going on outside his books and charts for about 40 years, so he just looked confused for a moment and kept on talking. Heh.

Laci • October 4, 2008 at 10:32 pm

I can’t even walk on the treadmill without watching my feet, and forget trying to drink water at the same time! I cannot even fathom having the capacity to knit and dance (surprisingly rhythmically) at the same time.

Debbi • October 5, 2008 at 7:47 am

Day late and a dollar short … that’s me!

I wasn’t the dancing knitter. (Someone asked me on my blog if I was there.) I could have been, but, while I’ve knitted on the treadmill, while walking for exercise (but not running), in line, in meetings and, mostly, while watching television, I think dancing and knitting are best enjoyed separately.

As for why someone would do that, knitting is a total obsession for some knitters. I’m not as fa-knit-ical as I used to be, but I can remember thinking if I wasn’t knitting I was wasting time.

Sounds like a fun concert. I love, love, love Carrboro. It’s one of the two places I’m seriously considering moving to, should I ever leave the Middle of Nowhere.