I’m sure my Hebrew readers will be disappointed

I’ve flipped the layout of the blog so the content is on the left and the sidebar is on the right. Enough people told me they had usability issues with the old format that I decided it was worth taking the time to change it. If anyone runs into an error with the modified design, report it as a comment on this entry. You might have to refresh your page to see the new images. Try holding down the “Shift” key while clicking the “Refresh” button if you can’t get the new images to load.

I liked trying something different with the old layout, but I suppose it would have worked better if we read right to left. If I ever start a blog written in Hebrew, I might revive the design :)

cindy • September 13, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Its all good… I got used to the other way, but I am glad it is back on the left. We are creatures of habit, I guess. And I’m a lefty so it makes more sense to me to start on the left…

I am loving your new blog with the broader range of topics, by the way. You keep things interesting no matter what you are writing about. Keep writing and I’ll keep reading ~ no matter where the text ends up!

Alexia • September 13, 2008 at 10:22 pm

Love it, thanks! (Hey, remember that lazy woman’s triathlon I’m doing? I just swam a mile today — a mile! At once with no breaks! Whee!)

A.

Kris • September 13, 2008 at 11:07 pm

This probably dates me as hopelessly “of the book era,” aka *old*, but I love having the text on the left. Thank you, Pasta Queen!

You’re doing a great job expanding your range of topics, stretching your voice. The blog is getting better and better. And it was great to begin with. Congratulations on spreading your wings as a writer.

Is that a word you own yet? Blogging is writing, and you’re good at it. See if you can call yourself a writer. Say it once in a while. Believe it, because it’s true.

Deb • September 14, 2008 at 12:09 am

Thank you ! I knew it bothered me, but even though I never hesitate to “kvetch,” I wasn’t about to complain to you. But it seems so much more “right” now. Somehow, all that sidebar stuff seems much less in the way now. (Don’t tell the people who paid the big bucks to put those ads there.) Keep up the fun and interesting writing (yes, it is).

s • September 14, 2008 at 12:09 am

i like it better this way … it’s less confusing :)s

April • September 14, 2008 at 2:38 am

My blog is designed so the sidebar is on the left and I’ve never had anyone tell me it’s weird for them but then again I am not nearly as popular as you.

As I said before, I’m here reading no matter what you write about or which side of the page it’s on.

MizFit • September 14, 2008 at 5:55 am

ooooh and I might be able to help you with that aforementioned hebrew blogging :)

Christine • September 14, 2008 at 7:02 am

I really like the new layout – modern and professional :D

earthmamma • September 14, 2008 at 7:19 am

changing the subject…(and it SO doesnt matter what side you write on…). just wondering about those headaches you had….are they past tense these days or you just over writing about them? would love an update.

Debie • September 14, 2008 at 7:46 am

While I like it either way, it was much easier to read the other way after synagogue on Saturdays :)

Jenny • September 14, 2008 at 12:53 pm

PQ, looks good! I really think its not about the main content being on the right or left for me… its more about having a big bar of advertisements between the sidebar and the main content. It breaks things up and its different. I’m used to them being on the top, off to the side, where you don’t really see them until you look. Its okay for the content to be on the right. Its often how news websites do it, but its the middle bar thats odd and offsetting. I know its necessary but its distracting. My opinion doesn’t really matter though, its your blog! :) I’ll read it either way, I can adjust. I think the new design looks good… advertisements, left or right, etc… its the content that matters most. And you are awesome.

Allison • September 14, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Ahh..thanks! I didn’t say anything when you changed the design–mostly because I do web development as well and I hate when people nit pick things I don’t think are all that critical…You can never please everyone! Also I use an RSS reader so design means little to me unless I’m commenting.

But it does make the layout “easier” to use. We’re just too trained to having content on the left!

I love the design update though!

anji • September 14, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Thanks for changing it back! Muchly appreciated!

Mine is loading mostly okay (I think) but it keeps saying, “Page loaded but with errors on it” at the bottom….

PastaQueen • September 14, 2008 at 4:41 pm

@anji – Yeah, that’s an Internet Explorer thing. Their debugger’s error message is of no help, so I don’t know what script is causing the error. Everything seems to be functioning though, so whatevah.

PastaQueen • September 14, 2008 at 7:22 pm

@earthmamma – Let’s not talk about the headaches.

butterfly • September 15, 2008 at 9:28 am

Love the new layout! It’s very organized & easy to navigate. I especially love the new header. I did laugh my ass off- it’s brilliant!

Multifunction and multi-user desk is shared by people and cats : TreeHugger
If this works I totally need one. My left hand is half-numb because I've got a cat draped on it.

Game of Thrones rape: Director Alex Graves says the sex "becomes consensual."

Runaway stowaway survives Calif.-Hawaii flight: FBI - CBS News
If this had happened in a movie I would never have believed it was possible.

Site Meter