Weight: 179 – Pounds to lose: 19 179, good enough for me!

Weight - 179

Those are my feet, as funky as ever. Those are my toes, still gnarly from the half-marathon two months ago. And there is the issue of Women’s Health my book was reviewed in this month, proving the photo is recent.

It’s July 2, 2008 and I weigh 179 pounds. That’s exactly what I weighed on July 2, 2007. And that’s good enough for me!

When I started this journey back in…the stone ages? The bronze age? Okay, maybe it was just 2005. I set 160 as my goal weight because I wanted a number to aim for, 160 fell in the “normal” BMI range and it ended in a 0. Since June of 2007, I’ve been hovering below or above 180. Sometimes I’ve been really psyched to get to 160, charting out how many months it will take if I lose a pound every week. Sometimes I’ve looked at 175 on the scale in the morning and thought, “I’ll have a chocolate éclair for breakfast!”

So, let’s scratch out that “160″ next to my goal weight because I. AM. DONE. 180 is my happy weight. I can run 3 miles without stopping. I can buy normal clothes. My health is pretty damn good, most things considered. My weight is not the first thing people notice about me…unless I’m walking into a book signing. Life is good and I haven’t given a shit about getting to 160 for months. I predicted this state of mind back in April of 2006:

“I might just get to 180 or something and say ‘Well, this is good enough.’ Kind of like old time settlers who were headed for California but decided to just quit in Nevada. I might easily be distracted by the shiny lights of Las Vegas.”

Vegas looks pretty good to me. The lights are indeed shiny. I think I’ll stay here for awhile. 160 is not a goal of mine anymore. My new goal is to maintain a weight of 180 or below for the rest of my life. If I happen to lose those 20 pounds, I won’t complain, but I don’t really care if it happens or not.

This means I’m done with the monthly weigh-ins too. They’ve been a helpful tool to keep me on track. They helped me lose a lot of weight. But lately they’ve been driving me to the crazy farm. I’m ready to keep my weight private again. I’ll still track it for myself, but I don’t want to have to justify every gain or loss to the masses. I post enough pictures of myself on this blog that you’ll notice if I start to pork out. If there’s suddenly a 6-month gap without any self-portraits, you’ll know something’s up. I promise to stay accountable in my own ways, just not in exact poundage statistics. If I beat any of my personal records, you’ll be sure to hear about it.

I’m still going to blog. You couldn’t get me to stop if you stole my computer. I’d wait in line at the library. I’d use my mom’s dial-up. I’d steal some kid’s iPhone. I’m a blogging addict and you can’t make me quit! If you’ve been reading for awhile, this announcement should be as shocking as a puddle of water. I first saw the number 180 on the scale on June 1, 2007, so I’ve been maintaining my weight loss for over a year now. It’s about time I made maintenance official. Maintenance and I have been dating for so long, it’s about time we got engaged already and set a date!

Today’s the day. July 2, 2008. Not quite Independence Day, but close enough.

dabaum • July 2, 2008 at 7:51 am

I cannot believe how proud I am of you! Congratulations! Reaching your “mind” goal is more important that an arbitrary number you pulled out of your (half) ass years ago!

Way to go Ms. Pasta Queen! I couldn’t be more proud if it had been me to lose that weight.

Kudos!

Bella • July 2, 2008 at 7:58 am

Good for you! I know that when you have a goal weight in mind, modifying the plan can be difficult, but it sounds like your body is comfortable at 180, so why not? You look great, and it sounds like you feel great, so I think you’re making a good decision for yourself.

I’m glad July 2nd can be a memorable day for you – it’s my birthday today. Just had to throw that in for good measure. :)

barbara • July 2, 2008 at 8:15 am

Wow, good for you! Now, how about the ultimate “progress photo” — a Scale Independence Day photo — for the masses??

Olivia • July 2, 2008 at 8:37 am

Congratulations on maintain for a whole freaking year! I think when we set a goal our body sometimes has a different number in mind, and it’s good to listen to your body.

Melissa • July 2, 2008 at 8:39 am

Good for you! Congrats! =)

Elizabeth • July 2, 2008 at 8:56 am

Congratulations! Maintenance has always been the hardest for me… a whole year and you kept it at 180? I am SUPER impressed! You are my hero! :-)

Allison • July 2, 2008 at 8:58 am

You go girl! Congratulations! I think your “maintenance engagement” is wonderful.

dietgirl • July 2, 2008 at 9:25 am

good onya PQ :) as someone who found a happy way above what i thought i’d always would be, i can really relate to this one and the lovely feeling of not having to update the darn sidebar anymore. happy days. happy for you :)

Helen • July 2, 2008 at 9:31 am

Even though I’m a fairly new fan, I actually teared up a little when I read this (alright, I’m menopausal too). I am so happy for you!! And, you’re making me reevaluate my own goals. Just this morning while on my run I realized I’ve been at approximately the same weight for a year now but it’s never been good enough. I need to re-think “good enough.” Congrats again.

Eileen • July 2, 2008 at 9:44 am

This entry really made me feel like wow, someone can be happy with their weight! No matter how much weight I loose, I am never satisfied and I probably should be. If I gain a lb, I end up binging like crazy punishing myself for the 1 lb which usually leads to more binging/more lbs. A neverending cycle!

Your entry today really made me feel like its ok to be happy with your weight. I dont know! Probably sounds silly but it made me feel better!

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nice Jewish Fat Girl • July 2, 2008 at 9:58 am

Congratulations! How wonderful to see someone happy with their weight, happy with their body. You’re probably sick of hearing this by now, but I hope you know what an inspiration you are to so many…including me!

Lisa • July 2, 2008 at 10:09 am

What a wonderful achievement! I’ve often thought–as an on-again, off-again Weight Watcher–that goal weights are ridiculous! How can we know what weight our body will be at its happiest and most maintainable? I say everyone who diets should do what you did–have a general idea that you want to end up within the healthy BMI range, but see where your body decides is most reasonable for you. What a healthy attitude. You really inspire me and make me think.

Deb • July 2, 2008 at 10:14 am

Congratulations, PQ. Being happy, healthy, and satisfied with yourself is the the ultimate reward we all should be striving for.

Karen • July 2, 2008 at 10:17 am

CONGRATUALTIONS! Job well done, PQ.

You’ve reached contentment with yourself. I’m 51 and am finally getting to that stage – my happy weight (I love that term!) is around 175 and I’m 198 now – I was 204 6 weeks ago – so about a pound a week. A good rate, really – I don’t have to do anything crazy or give up anything – just pay attention to nutrition and don’t eat 2nds or 3rds very often. I still have ice cream almost every day (usually a 100 calorie bar – no huge ceral bowls full- can’t have everything – sigh. Again, not rocket science.

I’m not uncomfortable now and don’t look my best but I look fine – don’t look obese, though I am by the numbers. I think at 175 I’m “overweight”. Well, Poo on stupid charts!

You’ve had quite a journey and I’ve enjoyed reading the good the bad and the ugly of it and especially the joy and success. You seem a very happy young woman now and that is everything!

Congratulations, again. :)

Tena • July 2, 2008 at 10:28 am

I’m happy for ya, PQ! It’s good to see someone satisfied with reaching their goal! I’ve often thought some of the “norms” that are set for us should not shape us. I hope you and Maintenance will have a long life together.

radiosilents • July 2, 2008 at 10:34 am

That’s fantastic, both the maintain and the decision to recognize that you are happy and healthy where you’re at now. Independence day indeed! :)

deanna • July 2, 2008 at 10:41 am

COOL BEANS!!!!! What a GREAT read! So liberating, so awesome!! Is it weird to say that I am proud of you and I don’t even know you???

Meagan • July 2, 2008 at 10:42 am

You know what? Good for you. Screw the scale. You’ve accomplished so much and look awesome, so no point in letting a number control your life.

I’m still trying to find my happy weight, but mostly I’m concentrating on eating well and finding as many cool new ways to exercise as possible. If a size or two falls off on the way, that’s just icing on the cake (metaphorically speaking, of course).

Quix • July 2, 2008 at 10:42 am

Congrats! Anyone that can run a half marathon and trying to lose weight is definitely in the “losing vanity weight” category in my book. :) Not that there is anything wrong with that, but if your goal was to become healthy and fit, I think you’ve more than owned that.

I’m sure I’m going to have to wrestle with that sometime soon – coming from 265 I thought 170 would be my “happy weight”, now at 178 I’m trying for 125. It’s a very healthy weight for my height, but the last time I was ever there was when I was in gymnastics working out 30 hours per week. Now the challenge is to see if I can do it on 5, and if I don’t get there, I’ll at least get fitter trying, hehe.

Ms Charlie Star • July 2, 2008 at 10:44 am

This is great news! It sounds like the body you’re in is a strong, resilient one, capable of taking you where you need to go in style :). Congratulations on your successful maintenance this past year!

Tracy • July 2, 2008 at 10:49 am

Congratulations! I’m glad you reached a place where you’re happy with your weight. :) I remember saying that my own goal weight was 160lbs, too. But I don’t know how I’m going to look when I get there! At least I know that you look fabulous at 180, and so 160 isn’t the be-all and end-all of weights!

Once again, congratulations on your hard-earned happy weight!

fd • July 2, 2008 at 10:53 am

that’s totally great and amazing!! congratulations! i came across your blog when you were already at your happy weight and wondered why on earth you were giving yourself a hard time with the other arbitrary goal, ‘cos you looked fabulous, you sounded like you were in great form (healthwise, physically, mentally…) and all in all, you were achieving so many wonderful things. long may your engagement last! properly inspirational you are!

mrs darling • July 2, 2008 at 10:55 am

Im dreaming of the day I can say that! Congratualtions!

KC • July 2, 2008 at 11:08 am

Way to go – Congratulations on meeting your goal.

Happy “Personal” Independence Day to you!!

You well deserve to celebrate. Let’s count the accomplishments:

1) You lost 193 pounds

2) You gained health and self-esteem

3) You have a awesome bloggy presence

4) You wrote a book that has been published internationally

5) You can run a marathon (or close enough to it)

6) You are an independent – healthy – sane woman – Hear you ROAR!!!!!

arthritis-treatments • July 2, 2008 at 11:09 am

congratulations for reaching your goal.

Michelle • July 2, 2008 at 11:09 am

What a huge decision, congratulations! I often think about this numbers dilemma we’ve gotten ourselves into. It’s not about the number it’s about our health, but it’s so easy to lose sight of that once you get going toward a “goal weight”. Congratulations again! I may do the same one day myself.

Red • July 2, 2008 at 11:29 am

It may not be Independence day but it is my Birthday, you have chosen wisely.

We’re happy to have another notable event for the Christmas in July.

Pamela • July 2, 2008 at 11:29 am

Congratulations!! I’m so happy for you!

debby • July 2, 2008 at 11:39 am

Man, PQ, That is EXACTLY where I am! In fact it’s what I wrote about on my blog this morning, sort of. To be content where we are is even sometimes a bit of work (mental.) Thanks so much for sharing, and sharing so well.

Heidi • July 2, 2008 at 11:40 am

Way to go! It seems really smart to stay where you feel good, you’re a million times healthier than you were, and you’re not at risk of driving yourself insane (and to Krispy Kreme) by watching every calorie in and out in an attempt to lose a few more pounds. Besides, you look GREAT!

anon • July 2, 2008 at 11:54 am

excellent decision. very smart. you’re healthy and fit. and you look great. what more could you possibly need?!

Erin • July 2, 2008 at 12:04 pm

Congrats! I’m glad you’ve publicly announced the “change” in goal weight instead of just slyly switching the numbers on the side!

Like others have said, you look great, you can run a 5K, screw the an arbitrary number you picked at random before you lost that 51.9% of your body weight!

Ready 2 Shrink • July 2, 2008 at 12:09 pm

This post is liberating for us all to read. It shows that at some point after all the work, you can live a good life and settle at a point where you are happy, healthy, and content with who you are and the journey you completed. I’m so proud of you and everything you’ve done. I on page 141 of the book and loving every second of it. Right now it’s helping me through my little mini plateau. Thanks for the book and the inspiration. TODAY IS YOUR INDEPENDENCE DAY!

Wendy • July 2, 2008 at 12:13 pm

What a wonderful happy post! I’m feeling a little teary eyed here!

Way to go PQ, I’m proud and happy for you and I wish you and maintenance a long and happy life together!!

Amy • July 2, 2008 at 12:24 pm

Congratulations! One year of maintenance is pretty awesome!

I may be in the same place, my weight hovers within 5 pounds, and my goal is 15 less….but I’m not sure that 15 lb loss is realistic. However, I refuse to admit it yet!

Again – congrats. You’ve done an amazing job.

hopefulloser • July 2, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Cool, that’s perfect. It is great to relieve yourself of that pressure. Maintaining for that long is an accomplishment!

Fawn Knutsen • July 2, 2008 at 1:23 pm

Congratulations! I think you are doing the right thing. I have at least 100 lbs to lose and I have been wondering if perhaps losing (say) 75 of that might be enough. I guess I’ll find out! Very happy for you, and I think you look wonderful.

jae • July 2, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Good for you! ~j

Marste • July 2, 2008 at 1:42 pm

Wow, congratulations! As impressed as I am by your weight loss though, I’m even more impressed by your ability to declare yourself “done” without maniacally trying to reach a lower weight just because it was the initial goal you set. As a perfectionist, I think that would be the hardest thing for me: deciding that my “happy weight” (love that term, btw) may not be the number I originally picked, and that THAT’S OK.

So congrats on all of it. :)

Befreckled • July 2, 2008 at 1:54 pm

Congratulations! Being free of 160 is as big a deal as being free of the original 180+ lbs you’ve lost.

Mike • July 2, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Wow! congratulations. It’s such a great feeling to reach an accomplishment like that. I don’t know how long I would last at maintenance. I’m always achieving for either losing fat or building muscle :)

Heather • July 2, 2008 at 2:00 pm

You totally rock!! To say that you are happy with your weight is such a HUGE accomplishment. Setting a goal weigh is rather like pulling numbers from the sky. Sure, I’ve set mine. But when I get close, if I’m happy…new goal!

You are such an amazing inspiration. I couldn’t be happier for you.

RG • July 2, 2008 at 2:13 pm

I think self-acceptance is a great thing, for other people. :) I’m at the same BMI as you and it’s my freak-out weight. Okay, the point is that I maintained at 3 BMI points lower for a year before stress put this weight on over the last few months, so I know I can do it. But my stress continues and I may not be able to get back there any time soon. Adding weight worries to my stress may not be appropriate, but it’s hard to let go of. It’s just a number, I’m fit, blah blah blah. But I’m counting calories and doing lots of exercise and ditching all the junk.

I wish it felt easy to accept where I am and also push for more. That I could see the healthy eating as the prize, not the chocolate eclair, if you know what I mean. Especially in the summer, when healthy food is plentiful and cheap(er).

Conny • July 2, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Right on!! I am so excited for you.

Just began reading your blog about 2 weeks ago and have enjoyed every bit of it, and recommended it to a few friends too.

Cheers!

michelle • July 2, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Congrats! You are such an inspiration.

AG • July 2, 2008 at 2:48 pm

YOU ARE SO INSPIRING!!!

You have put me back on track, girl. One thing I wish I did when I was at a great weight like you are is too just savor and appreciate all that it took to get me there.

Today on my blog, I wrote about “Skinny Bitches,” the kinds of girls that are thin and take it for granted. I used to be that girl. Now I am the Big Girl that is fighting back to get into shape. I will appreciate any loss I can get! This site is a big part of that.

AG

tjbj • July 2, 2008 at 2:55 pm

HEY PQ ! I saw a positive review of your book in the newest SHAPE Magazine! Congrats!

Jon Gray • July 2, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Congrats Jennette!!! Very happy for you.

Beana • July 2, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Congratulations!!! You look fantastic and I am so happy for you!

Jessy • July 2, 2008 at 4:09 pm

I just recently discovered your blog as I begin my weight loss journey and reading back over the entries has been inspiring. I am looking forward to starting your book too. Many congratulations.

Rachael • July 2, 2008 at 4:21 pm

Congrats!!! Awesome! You’re at goal! I’m reading the book now (it’s kind of like seeing a movie after you read the book, since I’ve ready every single blog entry) and you really are a “thinspiration”.

Rachael • July 2, 2008 at 4:22 pm

ps. Did you know there’s a little blurb about the book in Shape this month? I just got my copy of the magazine in the mail yesterday.

Sonia • July 2, 2008 at 5:03 pm

YOU GO GIRL!

Becca • July 2, 2008 at 6:46 pm

I raise my chocolate eclair in salute to you! You rock. This is the most motivating blog entry I’ve read in a while. It’s official. You’re awesome.

MB • July 2, 2008 at 6:51 pm

Happy Anniversary! I’m so happy for you. I wouldn’t be surprised if you end up losing those last pesky 20 pounds as soon as you stop trying to get there. You look amazing just the way you are now. CONGRATULATIONS! I wish you and Maintenance a lifetime of happiness together.

anonymous boxer • July 2, 2008 at 7:01 pm

To not gain weight for one year?

Yeah, you’re soooooo done. In so many wonderful ways.

Congrats!!!!!

Stephanie Quilao • July 2, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Good for you Jennette! This is indeed a fabulous Independence Day! Can’t wait to give you a big hug at BlogHer08 ;)

Marshmallow • July 2, 2008 at 7:37 pm

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :-D

[that is all.]

BrightAngel • July 2, 2008 at 7:51 pm

Congratulations

I’m happy for you.

Vicky • July 2, 2008 at 7:53 pm

The best thing that I or anyone can learn from the blog is your attitude and positive self image. You have great perspective on this weight-loss-weight-maintenance thing.

cindy • July 2, 2008 at 11:00 pm

I don’t know if I should laugh or cry—both are railing to be first. You are AMAZING! Thank you for this post and ALL the sharing you have done on Half of Me. It is a lifeline for so many of us…

Kalyn • July 2, 2008 at 11:21 pm

Hooray, and good for you. When I saw the photos of you on half-marathon day, I really was taken by how thin you looked. You look great! Now just focus on keeping yourself fit and healthy and happy. See you in a few weeks!

Janet • July 2, 2008 at 11:33 pm

Very excited and proud of your achievements. As someone who has maintained for an year, I know how hard reaching and holding your loss can

be. I still weigh each month, but alas as a “computer -challenged soul, haven’t mastered the art of blogging.

Will continue to follow and read your blog. Good luck.

she overflows • July 2, 2008 at 11:43 pm

I’ve been a silent reader of your blog for a couple months now, but I just had to post and issue a huge CONGRATULATIONS! Your journey has truly been inspiring…I’m looking forward to going back and reading through your archives.

Lydia • July 3, 2008 at 1:29 am

I think it’s unanimous — well done!

NZ Karen • July 3, 2008 at 5:49 am

You rock. Congrats.

Sarah J • July 3, 2008 at 7:07 am

Bravo, bravo.

Donna • July 3, 2008 at 7:36 am

Yea! You definitely need a new progress photo in your happy clothes, hair, and no glasses to show your new “happy self” off. Congratulations!

Jill • July 3, 2008 at 9:04 am

Yeehaw sistah!!

When I grow up, I want to be like you!

Jules • July 3, 2008 at 9:49 am

Fantastic! This is a fabulous statement of self-respect. Enjoy. You look marvelous and are super healthy. woohoo!

Susan • July 3, 2008 at 9:51 am

I am so SO proud of you! Congratulations for losing all that dang weight and even better, maintaining it! And congratulations on getting into shape and being able to run for miles and making exercise a part of your life. That shit is hard!

And you know what is more important than the number on the scale? Feeling good, healthy and comfortable with where you’re at. It seems like you have reached a weight that you can successfully maintain while still enjoying life, and THAT is really the most important thing. Not 160 pounds.

YAY!

I will still read because you will always be an inspiration.

nicole • July 3, 2008 at 10:43 am

Congratulations on completing your weight loss! Your blog and story have been an inspiration to me!

Rachyl Stone • July 3, 2008 at 11:38 am

This is very exciting news! 179 is just the number on the scale. You accomplished what you set out to do, which is lose weight, be healthy and feel good about yourself. I think this is just fantastic! It motivates me to reach my happy weight, too! So I say to you: Supercallifragilisticexpialidocious!

Cathy • July 3, 2008 at 2:52 pm

you’ve accomplished great things, now it’s time to enjoy them! yay, pq!

Red • July 3, 2008 at 3:50 pm

YES!!! I can totally get behind that. And really, all those things were part of your original goal, anyway (fitting into normal clothes, being able to do things without getting ridiculously winded). My goal is still 160 (I’m your height), but I just might get to 175 or whatever and say “Yeah, this is cool. I’m going to enjoy being me now.”

On a completely random and off-topic note, I have to ask you something, seeing as you’ve maintained this weight for a long period of time. Did your skin-tightness change at all? Also, did you see anything reshape? I know it’s an incredibly personal question, but it’s something that’s been an issue at this point in my own journey (I’m 2/3′s of the way to my goal) and I figured if ANYBODY could tell me anything about this it’s you.

Laura • July 3, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Congratulations!! You’ve done great!

Jenna • July 3, 2008 at 6:44 pm

You are wise. I’ve watched other weight loss bloggers set weight goals, usually based on BMI, that are just too low.

They get down to a reasonable weight, they wear normal clothes, but they haven’t seen “the number” and they get frustrated. And they gain.

Unfortunately, I know from personal experience. You are healthy. That’s a great place to be.

Heather • July 3, 2008 at 8:53 pm

Good for you, PQ! You look great and feel good about where you are. Congrats, and I’ll enjoy reading what life brings you next now that the great weight-loss mission has ended!

Lucy • July 4, 2008 at 12:29 am

pasta,

i always thought the 160 number seemed kind of random. i thought you looked great when you hit 180 and didn’t get the need to drop more.

You’re tall anyway and that grants you the luxury of a couple more pounds. I say this because I’m 5, 3″ and my sister is 5, 8″. An extra 10 lbs on her is barely a blip, on me it’s an extra roll! So lucky you and congrats on getting to your new goal.

also, somewhat related aside, do you know on average how many calories you eat per day? or do you use a more holistic approach?

Katie • July 4, 2008 at 12:34 am

Judging only from your writing, you are one of the healthiest people I know, physically AND mentally. I find you to be all kinds of inspiring!

Go PQ!

Katie • July 4, 2008 at 12:37 am

…and good luck with those headaches as well. you deal with them remarkably well.

vivi • July 4, 2008 at 7:40 am

Congratulations, PQ! I can imagine it was very hard to lose that much weight and possibly it has been as hard as keeping the same 180 lb on the scale throughout a year.

Nevertheless, don’t relax!! Don’t screw the scales, as they say in other comments. It can be very dangerous! (and don’t hate me for being the only one who writes an 85% positive and 15% pesimistic comment ;) )

PastaQueen • July 4, 2008 at 9:01 am

I think it’s somewhere between 1800-2000, but I’m not sure. It depends on how much I’m exercising too. When I was training for the half-marathon I was eating more.

Mary in MN • July 4, 2008 at 10:36 am

Good for you, PQ. Your smarts and honesty win the day once again. But how do you run so much with those bunions?

PastaQueen • July 4, 2008 at 10:58 am

They don’t hurt.

Cathy • July 4, 2008 at 6:04 pm

Thanks…for pushing me to truly reevaluate how I’m viewing my weight. I was (haven’t weighed in a few weeks due to a foot injury and I haven’t been able to run for three weeks) close to my goal…50 pounds lost, but only at 46…but want to know what it feels like to feel free and to enjoy the happy weight. I’m sure you get tired of reading comments where people you don’t even know comment purge on you and give you way too much information, but thank you for being willing to be so honest.

Cylia • July 4, 2008 at 11:15 pm

CONGRATSSSS!!!! You have done some pretty amazing things and learned a lot and taught many people a lot along this journey!

Cylia • July 4, 2008 at 11:16 pm

Jen • July 5, 2008 at 6:08 am

Hi. Let me start by saying that I think that your accomplishments are very admirable & I don’t see anything wrong with your decision not to lose any more weight. But I have to say I’m a bit disappointed. I bought your book when it was first available on Amazon & I really liked it. I appreciated your openness and honesty about yourself and your experiences. But now, all of a sudden, you don’t want to “justify… to the masses?” Realistically, weight loss memoirs are sought after because people want to see the dramatic changes in the numbers. Do you think people would have been as interested in your book if you merely said “I lost a lot of weight”? I don’t think it’s fair to profit by revealing the numbers but have now suddenly changed your accountability. There is another women who lost a large amount of weight & then wrote a memoir (I won’t mention her name here). On her website, it shows very dramatic before/after pictures. But during a tv interview where she was promoting her book, it was clear that she had regained a significant amount of the weight. And I don’t criticize that; we all know that’s part of the process for a lot of people. But it seemed hypocritical (and less than honest) to me that she did not mention it during the interview and there is no “updated” picture on her website. I didn’t buy her book; instead, I found your website. And being so impressed by your honesty, I bought yours instead. I wouldn’t think less of you if you did regain the weight; nor would I have an issue if you only weighed in once a month. But to tell people you are only now accountable by posting occasional pictures? If you profit from publicly documenting the loss, then I think you should be publicly accountable for the maintenance. That’s my 2 cents. I sincerely wish you the best in whatever path life takes you.

Thirkellgirl • July 5, 2008 at 8:49 am

Congratulations to you! I’m with all the other commenters who have said that you look great and have for a long time. Good for you to have the guts to accept yourself *now.

Tricia in MI • July 6, 2008 at 12:34 am

Sincere congrats Pq. You are truly amazing! Youre so lucky that your parents never fucked you up about your weight. My parents made me have a complex about my weight my whole life. I was always the chubby kid, was on a diet at age 7, let alone my whole life. I always, and still am, told how i need to loose, get my life under control, along with my weight. I am now in therapy occasionally because of it. Being told youre on a diet at age 7 really scars a kid. I can honestly say, bad genes suck. My parents are in fantastic shape, and always have been. They work out all the time for it. Anyway, i hate to make this so long, just hoped someone could relate. Thank you for sharing your journey. You have gotten me through some tough times, and lots of tears.

Coco • July 6, 2008 at 12:22 pm

You are an inspiration. I have been on Weight Watchers for 3 months and lost 25 pounds. I am at a challenging plateau – beign at the same weight for 3 weeks. I have about 70 pounds to go. I really need to lose this for my health and my fatigue. Some days I feel like I can’t go on. That is when I log into your blog and read. Thanks so much and best wishes always.

EG • July 7, 2008 at 12:03 pm

Congratulations on your new mindset! (and new and improved goal weight/ happy weight).

DDWT • July 10, 2008 at 7:11 am

July 2, 2008 is an excellent day for such a momentous decision. It’s my twin boys fifth birthday. :)

Sally Parrott Ashbrook • July 10, 2008 at 10:08 pm

I had surgery and have been out of commission for a bit, so I’m just catching up now, but good for you! You certainly LOOK great at 180. :D

Heidi • July 12, 2008 at 6:50 pm

One word really says it all

BRAVO!

heidi

zazu • July 13, 2008 at 1:38 am

Way to go! And thanks for your posts that are helping me find my “happy weight”, Too!

goodbyetoallfat • July 13, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Hi PastaQueen. I have linked this blog entry of yours in my latest blog (talking about goal weights etc). Just letting you know.

Best wishes,

Sharon

Cynthia • July 24, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Congrats! It never should be about a number on a scale, but about health and how you feel. I’ve publicly posted a goal of 150, because that’s a nice round number, but honestly, if I could make 160 or even 170, I’d be pretty pleased. Heck, for the moment, if I can even make it under 200 pounds I’d be ecstatic.

So, have a happy maintenance!

Susan • July 31, 2008 at 4:16 pm

I have been reading some of the archives today and I always enjoy them, I must say.

Now that you have reached your goal, I have two questions.

1. You posted a few times in the early days that you wanted to wear a mini skirt and thigh-high boots. I have to know! Have you done this yet? If so, how did it feel? If not, you totally should and I demand photos!

2. You posted once, though I forget the name of the post, that you didn’t shave your legs and who cares because you were over 300 pounds. I also don’t shave my legs, but now that I have lost 50 pounds, I have a strange desire to do so. I am wondering if you are shaving now that you are thin? I am not shaving regularly, but I have shaved a few times in the last few months which is certainly more than I used to.

Kathy (Chicago) • August 5, 2008 at 9:18 am

You do rock! And you look great.

But I gotta tell you, as a brand new fan (I found you last night), I feel like I missed the best part of your ride: The Journey. You have so many fans. Hmmm.. makes me wonder if you’re up for a challenge….

I have 15 to lose. It’s 15 I’d lost before, and gained back. So I obsess over it, but the motivation is hard, because I still “look okay.” Others in this list may have some goal as well. So, I’m wondering if you might be up for going 15 +/- with us. You keep blogging, and we’ll comment with our own progress on that day. You’ll be like the pied piper, and we’ll just follow you, merrily, each of us knowing we’re not alone, and that we’ve hooked our wagons to the Super Weight Loss Train! My personal goal is to lose this by the holidays.

So, what say? Wanna continue to inspire us to our own individual greatness? (BTW, it’s okay to say No. You deserve a break from running the train!) Love you!

PastaQueen • August 5, 2008 at 11:25 pm

1) I did wear the boots and the miniskirt. I posted it somewhere, but I don’t remember where. Search for it and hopefully it will pop up. It felt great.

2) I shave my legs before events where I wear a skirt, like BlogHer or book readers. Otherwise no. If you want to shave though, shave! Just try not to nick yourself.

Site Meter