My acceptance speech

When I reached my goal weight, I had planned on giving an acceptance speech thanking every person and product that had helped me get to 160 pounds. I imagined it like the Oscars, me stumbling up to the stage stunned and stunning in a size 10 dress, taking the podium and saying, “Thank you, thank you, I wasn’t expecting this at all,” as I whipped out two pages of perfectly typed notes. Then the orchestra leader would set his baton down while the bassoon player went out for a smoke. I’m not sure if I can squeeze into a size 10 dress (possibly, depending on the manufacturer) and I don’t weigh 160 pounds. But since I’ve decided I’m happy with the weight I’m at, this will be an entirely different type of “acceptance” speech and I’m giving it anyway.

Thank you to my mother (and my father) for never fucking me up about my weight. They never put me on a diet, never called me fat, never made me feel self-conscious about my weight, and made me feel a sense of value and self-worth that had nothing to do with my body. I’ve read several weight memoirs in the past years and I’ve come to appreciate how exceedingly rare this sheltered kind of life is. It’s as if I grew up in a bomb shelter in the backyard while everyone else was exposed to the evils of magazines yapping about cellulite.

Thank you to my brothers for never teasing me about my weight, or if you did I don’t remember it. Thank you to my younger brother for setting a good example by losing a lot of weight four years ago and gentling nudging me in the right direction. It was awesome having someone to chat about the glycemic index with who didn’t fall into a coma afterwards.

Thank you to the makers of sugar-free fat-free pudding, no-sugar-added fudge pops, fat-free Cool Whip, Lean Cuisines, and diet sodas. There are probably too many weird preservatives and artificial chemicals in your products for my own good, but you helped me out more than you’ll ever know. Big props to the string cheese manufacturers, pistachio growers, and the fruit and vegetable farmers of the world. You give me quick, healthy snacks in a fix. Rock on.

Thank you to Arthur Agatston, whose book gave me good ideas on what types of foods I should be eating (not chocolate frosting), Ana Caban, who makes great Pilates DVDs (that have made my butt a bit perkier, perhaps?), and Cathe for the weight-lifting DVD (that made me unashamed to wear a tank top last night).

Thank you to the happy fun and fitness trail that runs next to my apartment. I love running amongst the bugs and leaves, even when I have to drag myself out there against my will. Your delightful nature always wins me over and I never regret spending time with you. (Except when you’re covered in ice and snow and freezing fog.)

Thank you to all the bloggers and commenters who cheered me on. I remember when you all first started stopping by I wondered, “Who are these people and why are they being so supportive? How odd.” I didn’t understand why strangers could be so excited and happy for me. But when I was running my half-marathon and someone yelled, “Go, Jennette!” at mile 13, I truly understood. You need people cheering you on or else you’ll faceplant on the pavement. Thank you for keeping the skid marks off of my rosy cheeks.

Thank you to my treadmill, my dumbbells, my Pilates mat, my YMCA membership, and my poor broken bicycle. Thank you to my heart-shaped silicone muffin pans, my silicone whisk, my breadmaker, my hand-mixer, my skillet, and my cookie sheet that I’ve roasted hundreds of veggies on. Thank you to fat-free cheese. Thank you to my cute activewear, my sweat-wicking socks, my running shoes, my MP3 player, and to cheesy techno music. Thank you to sexy boys and adorable children on the trail. Thank you to personal records and finish lines. Thank you to sunny days and endorphins.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Mary Ellen • July 4, 2008 at 8:58 am

I really liked this entry – I imagine having the same conversation in my mind. It’s good to be grateful – huh?

Bella • July 4, 2008 at 10:20 am

What an awesome post! I look forward to the day when I’ll be writing one of my own. You have truly been an inspiration to me, and thousands of others, I’m sure. I look forward to reading what comes next for you, now that you’ve achieved your goal.

Happy 4th of July!

Tamikka • July 4, 2008 at 10:23 am

I just re-vamped my goal. I never thought of this idea before. I can’t wait to do the same.

dietgirl • July 4, 2008 at 10:29 am

bloody awesome :) and such DIGNITY, unlike sally field or gwenyth!

(i think there’s a wee tag missing somewhere, cutting off a bit of your speech)

Katrina • July 4, 2008 at 10:37 am

Bravo, Bravo, I applaud you! (I am standing at my computer clapping…hope this helps!)

PastaQueen • July 4, 2008 at 10:53 am

Crap! Thanks, I usually check these things, but it’s a holiday over here, so I’m a bit off my head from partying last night.

Mindy • July 4, 2008 at 11:06 am

Congratulations PQ. I found yor site late but read through all the archives and you have been an inspiration to me. I think you deserve the Half-Lifetime Achievement award! I love how candid and funny you are in your posts. You definitely keep it real. I am sure that is sometimes very hard to do but it keeps me reading. That was a great speech and I am sure you are getting a standing O all over the world :) At the very least, you are getting one in New Orleans.

DuchessOfDork • July 4, 2008 at 11:44 am

Congratulations on being happy with yourself!!

Nice Jewish Fat Girl • July 4, 2008 at 11:44 am

And thank you for all your wonderful blog entries, and for being such an inspiration. Bravo to you!

Kyle • July 4, 2008 at 12:03 pm

Thank YOU for being the funniest blog on the internet.

You really are inspiring!

Julie • July 4, 2008 at 12:46 pm

:::Applause:::

Coyote • July 4, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Yay!

*confetti*

*confetti*

Kathy W. • July 4, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Go, Jennette!

fatbridesmaid • July 4, 2008 at 2:11 pm

This is so awesome! Go Jennette!

fran • July 4, 2008 at 2:56 pm

you are such an inspiration!

go you!!!

p.s. today i did my first race. 4 miles in 41:39!!!!!

s • July 4, 2008 at 3:03 pm

YAY!

Andrew is getting fit • July 4, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Way to go you!

Susie • July 4, 2008 at 3:48 pm

Yay, yay, yay to you. Thank YOU for your sharing, your insights, and your wonderful, wise attitude toward healthy living.

Pamela R • July 4, 2008 at 4:12 pm

Wow, what a speech and what an accomplishment! Now I have to start thinking about mine. Guess I have to decided on a goal weight first. LOL I just know I’m not there yet.

Amy/radiosilents • July 4, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Yay! Another wonderful post totally worth celebrating! Here’s to a lifetime of healthy and happy living. I’m so happy for you and want to thank YOU for being an awesome inspiration for my own weight loss efforts. You’ve helped me more than you can know.

Amy

K • July 4, 2008 at 6:38 pm

*flings roses on to stage*

Fantastic! Here’s to more sunny days and endorphins. And happy fourth of July. (Also, heart-shaped muffin tins? How cool.)

Jen • July 4, 2008 at 7:06 pm

That’s an awesome speech. You rock.

JudithNYC • July 4, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. And thank you for teaching this old dog some new tricks, i.e. I am never going on a diet again! and yet slowly I am losing the weight.

gknee • July 4, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Jennette- You are the best! I came late in to this (after reading your brilliant book!) How the hell you have so much insight at 28 blows me away. Congratulations. Gratefully accept the gift knowing that what you are now is perfect enough! Rock on girl!

BrightAngel • July 4, 2008 at 10:04 pm

It IS worth it.

Cylia • July 4, 2008 at 10:58 pm

MANY CONGRATS!!! I’ve been reading your blog for over a year I think you are awesome!

PastaQueen • July 4, 2008 at 11:19 pm

Wow, that’s an excellent time!

PastaQueen • July 4, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Well, I don’t. I’m 27.

jae • July 5, 2008 at 12:29 am

What a great post, I’m giving you a standing ovation over here too! You’re so awesome!! ~j

Lesley • July 5, 2008 at 7:08 am

I don;t know if you’re “doing a Gwyneth” while giving your speehc, but I certainly am while reading it!

Thanks to you too, you’ve been a big inspiration and still are.

I wish you all the happiness in the world and it seems that you have a good bit of it already.

Lesley x

John's Weight Loss Blog • July 5, 2008 at 7:43 am

Bravo!

I am curious, what if as you go along you find your self sliding down towards 160 without really trying. Would you then set that goal again and push for it?

Rah • July 5, 2008 at 8:14 am

::: A p p l a u s e :::

Excellent speech, PQ. Your decision is so wise. Plus it’s likely that your flexibility and realistic approach are a big part of your success. I do like the fact that you are sharing your maintenance journey with us, too. I’ve heard (never having been there myself) that it can be difficult. Yay, PQ!

Oliveira • July 5, 2008 at 9:05 am

Thank you for this speech, it’s very inspiring — and, dare I say that, a really great read!

gknee • July 5, 2008 at 3:07 pm

oops. sorry.

BB • July 5, 2008 at 4:48 pm

Just got your book from Amazon today and I’m really enjoying it. So glad I found your website that led me to your book. Thanks!

Andrea • July 5, 2008 at 5:01 pm

Hi Jenette!

I just want to say that you are such an inspiration to me. I’m sure you hear this a lot and it may get old, but I am sincere in saying it. Since the beginning of April I have taken a mcuh more serious approach to losing weight. I started at 270 and now at the beginning of July I am at 241. Nerly 30 lbs in 3 mos! I’m so proud of myself, but to be honest I slacked quite a bit in June. I have been hovering at 240 for weeks!

Anyway, you just remind me that I need to hold myself accountable and continue to work hard. I am even getting my new live in boyfriend to start eating healthier and join a gym membership with me. Hopefully we’ll be able to motivate each other.

I’ll also be picking up your book ; )

Keep up the good work!!

– Andrea

deanna • July 5, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Well said! Now, pretend, I am one of those pesky reporters after you step off the stage:

“Jeannette a/k/a Pasta Queen who are you wearing tonight? Nike, Addidas, Lady Footlocker…?”

Congrats again on a wonderful accomplishments!!

Looking forward to reading more witty commentary!

deanna • July 5, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Well said!!

Now pretend, I am one of those pesky reporters after you step off the stage:

“PQ, who are you wearing tonight? Addidas, Nike, Lady Footlocker….”

Congrats again on a job well done! Looking forward to more witty commentary!

PurpleGirl • July 5, 2008 at 10:26 pm

I think it’s great that you’re happy where you are and don’t feel the need to push further to a set number–so many people get hung up on that and can never let it go. Congratulations. :)

Michelle • July 6, 2008 at 1:31 am

You’re such a great example for the rest of us. And thank you!

Mr Calorie Counter • July 6, 2008 at 1:49 am

Well done! I liked your speech. I really like what you were saying about your parents. I agree that most parents, siblings or friends will push you in a harsh way to lose weight.

MizFit • July 6, 2008 at 7:44 pm

youre finished?!

they didnt even start playing you off yet!

Miz.

Heather • July 7, 2008 at 5:04 pm

Excellent speech! I can just see you up there with a little gold statue in your hand.

Good for you, girl!

Debbi • July 8, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Thank you, Jennette, for all you’ve done for all of us who are still out here struggling, working, running, waiting. You’re such a great example, and you always have been.

I’m on the road, out of state, away from my own computer. Usually I just delete blog entries en masse or wait until a day when I’ve nothing else to do to catch up. I’m so glad I took time to read this post.

Again … thank YOU!

Jen • July 8, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Jennette,

I’m really glad to see you do this. It sounds like a really healthy thing to do. So often, when I’ve lost weight, I’ve never really let myself be “done” by setting really unrealistic goals, which means that when/if I relapse, I go straight back into weight gaining with no break for maintenance in between.

Read your book – congratulations :)

Quix • July 8, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Thank you for such an inspiring blog to read, and when it comes my time to stop losing weight, that I will do it based on the same reasons you have, not because I’ve hit a specific number.

And yeah, I hear you on the thanks to the frozen food – I couldn’t touch them anymore but if they weren’t the most helpful thing to get me started…

Sarah • July 8, 2008 at 6:05 pm

Where’s the part where you thank yourself?

Don’t forget that you did this! With help of course, but in the end you made it happen.

Sayre • July 9, 2008 at 3:11 pm

You’re welcome!

sam • July 9, 2008 at 9:01 pm

You are my hero. Congrats u.

liz • July 10, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Does this mean that if you don’t read the comment WE don’t get to read the comment? I never saw Jen’s “disappointed” comment and I tried to look for it now and didn’t find it?

I totally get not wanting the negativity, but I hate censorship. I hope that even if you are choosing not to read the comments that the rest of us (who want to) get to. I am not into internet negativity, but I do enjoy reading other folks’ opinions! I’ve always thought that this blog has been kept pretty snark free. :)

PastaQueen • July 10, 2008 at 1:36 pm

I haven’t deleted it, so it should still be there.

Sonny • July 10, 2008 at 6:20 pm

I believe that comment was left on the post preceding this one.

Sally Parrott Ashbrook • July 10, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Good speech!

Suzy • July 11, 2008 at 12:24 am

Congratulations on making your own decision about what your goal is.

And I was going to respond to your snarky commentor about censorship, but instead I decided to embrace your philosophy about letting go of negativity. Rock on!

Alli • July 16, 2008 at 1:09 am

Hello there. Although I haven’t read your book, I recently picked it up at the library where I work and leafed through it. As a heavy girl (I’m 19 and just passed the 300 mark…GO ME :( ), I expected your book to be, quite frankly, just another load of bullshit.

In this day and age, so many things are marketed towards overweight people, perhaps because some of us are so desperate to be “normal”. But, I am ashamed to admit that I am desperate too, and so I read a few pages of your memoir, hoping for some miracle, like I always do, but realistically expecting to read another awful book advising me to “drink water” and “run more!”. Instead, I found a real person, in my same situation, who was finally doing what she wanted for a change.

I guess I’ll just say thatI was glued to the first twenty pages of your book. Eventually I had to put it down and get back to work, and when I came back for it, it was gone. But ever since I’ve read a part of your story, which is so like my own, I’ve started to question what I, until so recently, considered my “fate”.

Although I’ve heard about stars like Valerie Bertenelli losing weight, and I’ve seen the Subway Jared, and all the “millions” of people weight watchers has helped, I never really believe it. It has never happened to people I know, it’s never worked for real people. Given, I don’t know you, and I never will, but there is something about you that is so undeniably real, and you’ve been able to do it. And I’m starting to think that if you, a normal, everyday person, could lose half your body weight, then maybe I could too.

I know it’s a long road, and it’s a neverending battle, but I keep thinking that maybe if you could do it, maybe there are more people out there who were able to lose that weight and keep it off.

So thank you for writing such an awesome, funny, down-to-earth memoir, and thanks for giving me a reason to hope.

Lastly, congratulations on reaching your target weight. It’s truly an outstanding achievement, and although I don’t know you personally, I am proud that you had the nerve to stick to it and to share your story and life with people like me.