Meet me in New York…maybe?

I recently found out that I’m going to be in New York on Thursday, July 31st to appear on CBS’s The Early Show and I’d like to plan an event on Wednesday evening, July 30th, for my New York readers. Anybody got any ideas? Book signings are usually planned two months ahead of time, so it’s too late for my publicist to schedule anything on her end. The Early Show tapes at Trump International Plaza at 59th Street and Fifth Avenue (next to the glass Apple Store), so a location near there would be good – either a bookstore, coffee house, or some other locale that would be okay with people gathering and watching a woman read aloud and wave a large pair of pants in the air. An independent bookseller would be lovely because they could handle book orders. If not, I still have a handful of books in my trunk that I can personally sell on the street corner of the park if it comes to that. Do I need a license for that? Do they crack down on that stuff? I’d hate to spend the night before my national TV appearance in a cell next to a hooker named Trixie. Though I’m sure my Aunt Lori would have a hell of a story to tell at the family reunion when she came to bail me out.

I would like to schedule the event for either 7 or 8 o’clock. That way I can get to bed early, but it also gives people enough time to get there after work. I’m also assuming that some of you would want to come, right? Please comment below if you think you could come, otherwise I’ll just go ride the mechanical bull at Johnny Utah’s, which I missed the last time I was in New York.

I would also like to give big props to my publicist, Isabella Michon, for her great work setting this up. It’s not like I call Les Moonves and arrange these things myself. Special thanks to Jen Rios at Seal Press for being my travel agent and booking all my flights. I am truly grateful for all the hard work everyone has put into promoting my book and I feel so lucky for all the good things that have come my way as a result. As for the question I know someone will ask – will I be able to say the title of my book on television this time? I do not know, but I’m working on a workaround if I can’t. Cross your fingers for me.

fd • July 8, 2008 at 8:16 am

what if you say the name of your book the british way rather than the american way? i’ve noticed american daytime shows can get away with quite strong language as long as its not american swear words.

Mymsie • July 8, 2008 at 9:36 am

Congrats – another exciting milestone!!

Cari • July 8, 2008 at 9:49 am

Ugh, I felt awful that my boss wouldn’t let me say your book title on publicity in my library… I hope they let you say it this time–and congrats! I might actually be in NYC that week for a vacation, so if I’m there I’ll definitely show up!

barbara • July 8, 2008 at 9:57 am

I’m on vacation that week but i will definitely show up if I am in town (which I may well be — traveling anywhere seems like more work than it’s worth!).

I’ll try to think of some good venues for you… although that neighborhood is a tough one…

Eva • July 8, 2008 at 10:23 am

Wow!! you are getting famous..I will come if its after 7:00 pm..

deanna • July 8, 2008 at 11:00 am

Well, that sucks for me because I will be on vacation but so awesome for you!!! That really rocks! I am not sure if you will find a privatley owned bookstore in that area, but these suggestions might work, I have been but don’t know if they would be open to this type of event, I would imagine yes, but ya never know!

Borders, 461 Park Avenue, Corner of 57th/Park

P.J. Clarkes: http://www.pjclarkes.com

Serafina: http://www.serafinarestaurant.com

La Pain Quotidien: http://www.painquotidien.com

There is also Serendipity (a great icecream place), and Starbucks..yawn!

If I think of anymore locales, I’ll contact you! Good Luck, can’t wait to hear about it and so bummed that I will miss it!!

Melissa • July 8, 2008 at 12:08 pm

I would love to see you in NYC. It only takes me 1.5h to go there. My sister lives in the village. It would be great to hear you read. Please keep us posted on your possible venues. Good luck on your appearance, I am sure you will be fabulous!!

Michelle • July 8, 2008 at 12:19 pm

Tres Kewl! It’s so exciting to see good things continuing to come your way. Will definitely set my DVR for The Early Show that day!

I do hope they’ll let you say the name – if not, like fd said, maybe they’ll let you use the word “arse”.

Elizabeth • July 8, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Come to DC! It’s only 4 hours south of NYC … and you know, still kinda far from IN, but whatevs. Come to DC!

K. • July 8, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Yes I will most likely make it, unless it is late cause I don’t like being out late—have to be up at 5am to workout the following morning and all. Let us know tho, should be fun to finally meet you, lol. Will you resign my book a second time then, cause I already have a signed copy. Congrats on this exciting milestone,

K.

til-i-reach.com

PastaQueen • July 8, 2008 at 12:51 pm

I have a layover in DC, so technically I am for a couple hours. If you can get through airport security I’d be happy to do a quickie signing in the airport book shop.

Tena • July 8, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Rats! I am visiting NYC July 20-24. I wish you could come to Houston, TX. It’s hot as hell right now but maybe in the Fall?!! Probably too far for you :(

Heather • July 8, 2008 at 1:53 pm

So excited for you! The Early Show…my goodness, look at you! I wish I lived somewhere close so that I could come by. Alas, Arizona is too far.

Conny • July 8, 2008 at 3:08 pm

That’s so great. I too will set my DVR to record The Early Show, which I would not have otherwise watched.

Also wanted to say that I got the August 2008 SHAPE magazine in the mail yesterday and saw your book on the list of Must Reads. Whooo hooo!

Congrats!

Elise • July 8, 2008 at 3:27 pm

If you’re looking for a place to do a reading, Alice’s Tea Cup is phenomenal – they have mismatched tea cups, surreal wall art, killer scones and a wait staff clad in fair wings: http://alicesteacup.com/

Erin • July 8, 2008 at 3:41 pm

I SHOULD be in town that day. I work, of course, but can try to come afterwards. So you have a moderately-familiar face and all that. Sadly, I have no recommendations on places to do the reading. But I do promise to wear comfortable shoes to get wherever it is you will be reading :)

I’m sure you already have, but email Lori. She knows far more about this city than I do, except for perhaps the exact location of Strawberry Fields…

jae • July 8, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Man! New Yorker’s get all the luck! I hope you have a great time :) ~j

MizFit • July 8, 2008 at 6:37 pm

MAN I WISH I COULD MAKE IT.

perhaps I should just pack up, leave the toddler to the hubby and come…

any chance for austin?

M.

Jessica • July 8, 2008 at 7:15 pm

If it is a nice day an impromptu meet up in Central Park which is not that far away?!?

Megan • July 8, 2008 at 8:46 pm

I got your book today. I’ve been an avid reader of your blog. I can’t wait to read it!

Rose • July 8, 2008 at 9:48 pm

I would be interested in coming if I can make it on time. It’s about a 1:30 train ride from my work, but I have to check the schedule. No suggestions, though. Even though I live on Long Island I get into the city maybe once a year.

Laura N • July 8, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Cool! Can you spell it: say “Half A-crooked letter-crooked letter-E-D” :)

Milana • July 8, 2008 at 11:34 pm

I would love to come… I hope that doesn’t seem odd since I’ve only commented a handful of times! Would you be up for signing copies of books bought already, through Amazon?

PastaQueen • July 9, 2008 at 12:08 am

I’d be happy to! In fact, a “bring your own book” signing isn’t a half-bad idea.

s • July 9, 2008 at 1:02 am

yeah! i’m in dc too. that would be grand.

cindy • July 9, 2008 at 6:28 am

Hi PQ,

I am from Massachusetts, so New York isn’t entirely out of the question (though NYC is a big scary place for someone who usually drives everywhere!). Too bad they don’t film you in Boston… we have several lovely independent bookstores (as well as the big, evil chains). Good luck with the early show—and I hope you can post the clip like you did the last time, since I don’t watch TV.

HAVE FUN!

Rachel Perez • July 9, 2008 at 11:59 am

I’d go with the Borders on 57th and Park. Unfortunately, small booksellers are becoming an increasing rarity in this great city, and are especially rare in tourist-heavy Midtown. Also, there are shockingly few Starbucks around there (I work at 57th and Madison). There is one in Trump Tower and another at 56th and 6th and a VERY small coffee shop called Orens at 55th bw Madison and Park. One of the plus sides to Borders is that it does have a cafe, and does have a downstairs where I’ve been to quite a few readings/release parties.

Erica • July 9, 2008 at 12:47 pm

I will be out of town, but there is a left-wing bookstore on Essex St that does a lot of readings: http://www.bluestockings.com

Or the Strand?? http://www.strandbooks.com

jeanette • July 9, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Hey, I live in NYC and just finished reading your book. I read it in 3 days and absolutely loved it. I would be thrilled to meet you if you decide to do a reading on Wednesday night. Let us know!!

Lorrie • July 9, 2008 at 3:21 pm

I live in Brooklyn and would come out for a book reading. I don’t own the book, but this would be a good chance for me to buy a copy. Keep us updated!

Katrina • July 9, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Oooo…that would be so cool. I’m going to NYC 2 weeks AFTER you do though. Come to Austin, Texas soon!

sl • July 10, 2008 at 11:13 pm

omg you’re gonna be right where I work/live =( but I’m in Tokyo right now. I’ve been stalking through the archives of your blog and I looove your writing and topics. Which is a first cause I’m very picky and judgmental sometimes (bad me!) And I love all your geeky references =D since I had always been the lone girl in the programming class since HS. I can’t wait to pick up a copy of your book when I get home! Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy your stay in NY (def ride the bull!!!)