Meet me in New York – Bring your own book signing at Swizz

I dispatched a scout (aka my Aunt Lori) to case the New York neighborhood I’ll be staying in next week. After much deliberation (aka a 9-minute phone call), we’ve decided to host a meet up at Swizz, a wine and fondue bar at 310 West 53rd St. between 8th and 9th Avenues. We’ll be hanging around, dipping bread in cheese or chocolate, on Wednesday, July 30th from 7:30pm EST to probably 8:30 or 9:00ish. If you are around, feel free to drop in, say hi, have a drink, or snack on some cheese.

This is a “bring your own book” signing, meaning that if you want a copy of Half-Assed signed to you, you should buy a book at your retailer of choice and bring it yourself. I’ll have a couple of copies available on hand to sell for $15.95, but I can’t guarantee they’ll last. If you want to reserve a copy, contact me at halfofme (at) pastaqueen [dot] com and I’ll give you instructions on how to do so.

You can contact Swizz for directions at 212-810-4444 or visit their web site at 1291swizz.com. I hope to see you there! If you plan on coming, please RSVP in the comments so I can give the restaurant an idea of how many people will be attending.

Eva • July 25, 2008 at 9:27 am

Yeah, i am popping the cherry for the replies today. See you wednesday at 7:30!!

still reading • July 25, 2008 at 9:36 am

Oh, you’ll be in MY neighborhood, and I won’t be able to be there! Color me bummed. Just finished all the archives last night, and I loved everybit of them. I will confess to not having read all the comments…us readers are a verbose bunch!

It was interesting to hear your voice change as the years went on…from sort of sad and isolated to empowered and outgoing (if still a little shy). It seems that now that all the excitement is over (weight going down!! clothes getting bigger!! able to run long distances without passing out!! WROTE A BOOK!!!!!)that now the really hard boring part starts…maintenance is hard. I want to send you a virtual “yeah you” to remind you that staying the same weight is just as awesome an accomplishment as losing it in the first place. I believe there will come a point where you no longer are defined by your weight, someday you will forget to mention that you lost 200lbs and stop conversation in a room. You will just be that amazing, beautiful woman who writes so well that readers will finish whatever book you write at one sitting because its so good they can’t put it down.

So…yeah you!!!

Ann • July 25, 2008 at 9:54 am

Your writing is amazing – thank you for telling the story for those of us lacking your literary prowess. I would love to meet you, but Boyfriend has us signed up for a hypnosis session in the Village from 6-8pm. He wants to quit smoking and he wants me to live longer – ergo stop eating so much. We will try to swing by afterwards in our zombie-like states for a glass of wine. I hope you enjoy NYC. I’m a former Iowa girl and I also lived in Bloomington, IN for 2 years (it was on the way to Manhattan). If you need any Big Apple tips, let us know!

Erin • July 25, 2008 at 10:44 am

I already gave Lori my tentative RSVP. I may have a softball game that night, but if not, you’ll see me there.

Elizabeth • July 25, 2008 at 11:02 am

I love that you are having your NY book signing at a bread, cheese, and chocolate party.

It’s no In and Out, but it works.

Wish I could be there, I’ll just have to eat some cheese in California. And chocolate. Don’t forget the chocolate.

Good look on your show appearance!

mj • July 25, 2008 at 11:28 am

Totally off subject – but you looked BEAUTIFUL in the picture on Kalyn’s food blog.

ShanaOB • July 25, 2008 at 11:55 am

I love the fact that you’re doing a book signing not in a bookstore. Did you also color outside of the lines as a child? I’m on the West Coast, so this is not an RSVP, just an observation on your creativity. Have fun!

Lindsey • July 25, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Have any trips planned for southern CA? If you’re within 1-2 hours from where I live, I’ll be there. :)

Reading through your archives has really helped me stay focussed (I started at 264 and am currently down to 221.5 – I hate the 220s!! It’s my first real plateau). You are a thoughtful, eloquent, and hillarious writer. Your contributions are much appreciated.

jeanette • July 25, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Hi, I will be there provided I find a babysitter, which I should be able to do. I really look forward to meeting you!!!

Maggie • July 25, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Just FYI, area code for New york is 212,

but I am sure anyone who is going will find that

out on the website.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and I love those moments when I laugh out loud. You are very amusing

PastaQueen • July 25, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Oops! That’s what happens when I write blog entries at 7 o’clock in the morning. Thanks for telling me. I’ve fixed it now.

Tina • July 25, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Sounds fun! Wish I lived in the area!

Giyen • July 25, 2008 at 11:57 pm

Would love to meet you in person! You keep me motivated.

MizFit • July 26, 2008 at 12:11 pm

dangnubbit

I swear had I heard in time I might have been compelled to leave the great state of TX and head to NYC to see you/visit friends.

any chance on an Austin visit?

Jenny • July 26, 2008 at 8:03 pm

or plans for visiting Portland??? Oregon that is.

Rachel Kramer Bussel • July 28, 2008 at 3:13 am

I’ll be there, book in hand – looking forward to meeting you!

Moira Oliver • July 28, 2008 at 6:41 am

Hi Pasta Queen

I have just finished reading your book – we have copies here in South Africa too.Your story is awesome because you did not go and get surgery or do some crazy diet or join a slimming club you did it the right way by changing your lifestyle and that is why i believe that you will not put it back on again. Yes you may gain a few pounds here and there but if you stick to healthy eating and regular exercise as your lifestyle you will continue to maintain your weight loss and your new life. Well done!

Errin • July 30, 2008 at 2:48 pm

YAY!!! I will be there with bells on. I looooove Half of Me and have lent it out so many times that I lost it. Perfect excuse for me to get a new copy!!

You are such an inspiration to me on my WL journey (22 lbs gone and counting!). Although my attempt at blogging fell off, I’ve been vlogging religiously on YouTube.

You’re a great writer, and such a positive force. Also, I noticed your book in Shape magazine. CONGRATS!!

Tim Thielen • August 5, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Way to go kid! I am on my way down as well. I am a 5’8″ male that weighed in at 300 lbs one year ago with high blood sugar and a BMI of 44. Now I am 251.5 and BMI of 38.3. Working out every week and walking and low to no carbs. especially the bad ones. Keep it up, Tim from Tallahassee

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.