Hotter than I thought

“Hey, beautiful!” I heard a man yell. I kept walking towards downtown. “What’s going on?” I slowed down and looked towards the voice yelling these words and saw a 20-something, man dressed in street clothes crossing the street, arms open, looking at me. It then occurred to me that, oh my, he was talking to me.

This left me greatly confused.

I gave the man a befuddled look, as though he’d just asked me where the library was in Portuguese. I kept waiting for him to follow up with, “Can you spare some change?” but he didn’t, so I kept walking in the other direction. As I continued down the sidewalk, I came upon another man who looked at me and said, “Hey, how you doing today?” Dear Lord, why were people being so friendly on the street? What was this, the deep south? Here in the Midwestern states we typically ignore our fellow pedestrians and let them live out their hollow lives in peace, thank you very much.

I still don’t know why I suddenly attracted the attention of two men while walking down the street in the middle of July. I felt like the revolving door of my office building had spun me out into an alternate dimension where I was suddenly an irresistible sex object. I looked down at my outfit and saw that I was wearing the most generic clothing possible, as if I were auditioning to be a extra in a crowd scene of a movie – jeans, t-shirt, and a purse. I wasn’t even wearing foxy sunglasses.

My only hypothesis about these events has to do with the fact that I work with a bunch of guys. Typically when I’m walking around downtown, I am traveling with a pack of men, with perhaps one other woman, to get Starbucks or chow on Indian food. They are obviously scaring off the hoards of available men in the vicinity who want to throw themselves at my hotness. My co-workers are holding me back. So, if I want to score with random men on the streets, I will have to walk to get my coffee alone.

In this instance, however, I was walking to Borders to buy a map of San Francisco because it occurred to me that, “Oh hey, I am traveling there in, like, two days, and maybe I should not get lost.” Or if I do get lost I should have a map handy to wave around to better alert potential muggers that I am an easy pickins’ tourist.

All of this is a roundabout way to remind you that I will be at the BlogHer conference at the Westin St. Francis this July 18th-20th in San Francisco. Registration is closed, but if you are attending, my panel is on Saturday, July 19th and 3:15pm and is called “What We Do: Blog to Book Redux.” I’ll be speaking along with Ellen Gerstein from Wiley & Sons, literary agent Neeti Madan from Sterling Lord, and fellow blog-to-book author Rita Arens. You can also stop by the BlogHer bookstore right after the panel from 4:30pm-5:15pm where I’ll be signing books. You can buy a copy there or bring your own. (I won’t tell nobody.)

Last night tell I could tell I was stressed out about travelling because I ate all five of the tasty and delicious, strawberry yogurt protein bars I had intended to stuff in my suitcase as travel food. Obviously, the Topamax has worn off. My appetite has returned. And while stress eating is bad, it’s nice to feel like myself again and not zombie girl. I am particularly stressed about this trip because I have never travelled this far before. I’ve never been to California. I’ve never seen the Pacific Ocean. I’ve never been on a four and a half hour flight. That leaves me a lot of flight time to freak out.

I worry that I will forget to pack something essential – like my pills, cell phone charger, my sunglasses – and my whole trip will be a disaster (because it’s not like they sell sunglasses in California). I worry that I will forget to bring something obvious, like my flight confirmation number, and I will miss my plane. I worry that I will be sitting in the terminal waiting for my flight, but I won’t hear it called because my headphones are on. I worry that the plane will be delayed and I will get there so late that the trains will stop running and I’ll have to find a taxi and it will cost five bazillion dollars and the driver will only accept Euros. I wonder why I chose to fly into a strange city at 11:00pm their time, 2:00am my time (because it was cheaper). I wonder if I’ve packed too much and my suitcase is too heavy to practically tote around the city. I wonder if I haven’t packed enough and I will be too cold or inappropriately dressed for the various events. These and a million other hypothetical scenarios are why I’ve also eaten three fudge pops.

However, I’m all packed now, and I’m pretty sure I didn’t forget to pack my brain. On the bright side, I don’t feel the need to write out a will in case my plane crashes like I did five years ago when I was petrified of air flight. That’s growth, right? Once I’m there I think I’ll have a good time, because I had lots of fun at BlogHer last year and I don’t remember what anyone was wearing.

If you see me, please say hi. There are going to be about 1000 people there and a lot of weird mojo can happen involving status, popularity, cliques and all that crap when you get that many people together. However, we are all just people, and I think most of us are friendly and want to make new friends, so please say hi if you see me. I am just a person too. A totally, hot, sexpot of a person.

Dyan • July 16, 2008 at 9:23 am

I freak out about traveling too! I had to visit San Francisco in February on a business trip. I even had a connection to make! Talk about stress!

You will do just fine.

Remember to get receipts for all of this because you can take off all of it on your taxes for this year as business expenses.

San Francisco is nice, I didn’t get to see much because I was in meetings all day.

If you are looking for AWESOME Thai food, there is a small Thai restaurant on the bottom floor of the Parc 51 hotel. Incredible.

Have fun!

Joan • July 16, 2008 at 9:24 am

You know what the “it” is that makes you really hot that guys pick up on? It’s when you are feeling really happy within yourself. I swear, it acts like a magnet. It’s totally spontaneous and absolutely irresistible, and if you could bottle it you would make a fortune. Good for you, girl! p.s. you will love San Francisco!

Kim • July 16, 2008 at 9:26 am

Have a fabulous time in San Francisco! I hope that your panel session goes well. That’s so exciting!! :)

chidame • July 16, 2008 at 9:34 am

I read somewhere that when a gal is ovulating, men find her overwhelmingly attractive.

Might just be hokum, though :) Have a good time in San Fran at SheBlogs.

Diana Clmeens • July 16, 2008 at 9:44 am

Oh, I wish you were coming to Seattle. I’d take the day off just to stand on the sidewalk to catch a glimpse of you. You’re a superstar in my eyes. Nope, I’m not a stalker, just one of your biggest fans.

Those guys were noticing you because you’re a hottie. I’m not sure you realize that yet, but rest assured, you’re very attractive. As your confidence in yourself builds, you’ll have lots of male attention (sounds like you’re well on your way).

Have a fabulous time in San Francisco. I was there a couple weeks ago and loved it! Be sure to get down to Fisherman’s Wharf area and have some fresh seafood. They also have a wonderful farmers’market on the wharf with the biggest, best strawberries and cherries you’ll ever see or taste. Pricey but so worth it.

Have fun…and Jennette, you really are a superstar!

Diana

BMary • July 16, 2008 at 9:50 am

Ahhh, I adore San Francisco! I can’t wait to read your posts about the trip – you will have such a great time. SF is one of my favorite cities for eating, which may be either dismaying or exciting news depending on your goals for the weekend. I have friends who live in a fantastic part of town. When I visit them next month it will be the weekend before I’m in a wedding, and therefore I will need to be thinking about pesky things like fitting into my dress … but the dim sum and Russian bakeries will be taunting me.

suzanne • July 16, 2008 at 9:52 am

I think that as you get more self confident guys become more attracted to you! That’s my theory anyway ;)

Have a great trip!!

Can’t wait to hear all about it.

Jenny • July 16, 2008 at 9:52 am

Today you made me laugh so hard I had to tell my roommate why I was laughing… she just loved it, and now you’ve found yourself another reader. While I no doubt think after losing all this weight, you look great… your sarcastic statement “hoards of available men in the vicinity who want to throw themselves at my hotness” just made me laugh. This is why I love your blog!

Jessica Nelson • July 16, 2008 at 10:05 am

Yay you’re coming to my town! You will love SF, if you havent already been here and haven’t already fallen for this city. If you havent been here one good thing to remember is that while it IS California, it is NOT warm. Our summers tend to be foggy, cool and breezey. I laugh when I see tourists in “SF” fleeces that they had to buy because they did not pack warm clothes. Are you staying at the Westin? It’s really a great hotel, be sure to take the glass elevator to the top floor for the view! If you need any other tips, dont hesitate to e-mail me! I would tell you you HAVE to visit the museum Iwork at, but our grand re-opening isn’t until September (www.calacademy.org) so come back in the fall!

I love your blog!

-Jess

Kate H • July 16, 2008 at 10:17 am

Jessica’s right, make sure to bring a light jacket, especially since our heat wave was last week… this week it’s in the mid 60′s at most LOL

I know you won’t have a lot of time, but make sure you squeeze in the tourist basics, the Golden Gate Bridge, Boudin San Francisco Sourdough, Ghirardelli Square, Pier 39, Lombard St, all this stuff is on the north east side of town, so you won’t be lugging yourself everywhere. Just make sure you ride the trolley!

Nina_V • July 16, 2008 at 10:26 am

I’m in Sacramento, just a couple of hours away from SF, so it is my favorite weekend destination.

Jessica Nelson here gave you a good tip – pack a warm jacket or a fleece or something. And from me – wear layers, so you can take stuff off if you get too warm.

The city is awesome though, a lot to see, though I expect you’ll be too busy with the conference. And you can test out your new found hotness on San Francisco (trust me – not every man there is gay). Personally I think it is something about the confidence that makes you more attractive.

I was watching Miss Universe last weekend (I know, I know, but there was nothing else on and I was bored) and though all those women are drop dead gorgeous, so I don’t know how anyone can judge them, but the ones with the most confidence seemed to really score big with the judges.

Susan • July 16, 2008 at 10:30 am

Hey PQ! I have travel jitters too…and I had to travel a ton last year. I picked up a few tricks. Number One is Rescue Remedy…I never fly without it. I read an Michael Stipe interview where he talked about much he doesn’t like to fly, and how RR helps…he described it as “a double-martini before takeoff.” That’s great as long as you’re not the pilot. :) I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Also, some hotels offer in-room massages. I schedule one before I leave, and then while I”m on the flight I think “OK, only X hours until my massage…”

Moon Metro is a great travel series – the book is very small, it will fit into your purse, and the pages fold out to reveal neighborhood maps. Very crafty.

San Francisco is pretty magical. I hope you have a great time. Thanks for your blog! I read it every day.

Helen • July 16, 2008 at 10:34 am

I think one of the reasons that the random wolf whistles are so confusing is that while you feel terrific about your weight loss, your basic person is the same as she was many lbs. ago. At least that’s what it is for me. I always wonder why they didn’t see how FAB-U-LOUS I was 50 lbs. ago? I was, I really was. So, depending on my other mood, I either bask in the glow of the random call, or I get really aggravated that they didn’t “see” me 50 lbs. ago.

Have fun on your trip. I’m sure you will make lots of new friends, how could you not with your hot self?

natasha • July 16, 2008 at 10:54 am

Don’t forget to pack warmer clothes! It’s been chilly here! Have fun visiting!

Allison • July 16, 2008 at 11:10 am

I like you observations on the “mojo” of crowds. Very true.

Danielle • July 16, 2008 at 11:24 am

We went to San Francisco in February, and absolutely *loved* it. Awesome city. We rented bikes and rode across the GG bridge (don’t wear jeans like i did!)

I had some fantastic meals in some awesome restaurants, but I’m a big fan of diners. I had the best breakfast at Dottie’s True Blue Cafe. With the best sourdough dill toast i’ve ever had. Still talking about it. Luckily I was there mid-week, sounds like they have long lines on the weekend.

You may not have trouble with men there- i watched a guy try to pick up my (oblivious) husband when we got off the train from the airport. My friend and i were totally ignored – chopped liver!

goodbyetoallfat • July 16, 2008 at 11:24 am

I’m amazed if you haven’t been receiving TONNES of comments and wolf whistles from men by now, PastaQueen !!!

If it truly is because you are normally have lots of other guys around you, then you will have to travel / lunch / shop / walk alone more often !!!

debby • July 16, 2008 at 11:35 am

hey PQ, you’ll have a great time in S.F. I grew up in the Bay Area and it is a really fun place to visit. I hope the conference organizers have included some sight-seeing time for all of you. As far as getting from the airport to the hotel–doesn’t the hotel provide a shuttle bus? I have found when I was uncertain of where I was that it was a big relief to use the hotel shuttle service.

I wish I could go to the conference and meet you in person and say hi!

Giyen • July 16, 2008 at 11:58 am

It’s so hard to get compliments on your appearance when you don’t feel self-confident.

Wish I was going to the blogher conference! Have fun!

g

Susan C • July 16, 2008 at 12:00 pm

I’m a big fan of making lists before I travel. Things to do at home before I leave, things to pack, etc. Even the most trivial items go on the list. That way when I’m out the door, I can just check my list and make sure everything’s scratched off. Good luck this weekend!

PastaQueen • July 16, 2008 at 12:15 pm

I make a lot of lists too, but I’m always afraid I’ve left something off of the lists.

Susan • July 16, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Hey PQ -

Try Pack This! It’s a massive checklist, covering everything you could possibly need – I bought a pack several years ago, and I love it.

BB • July 16, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Well, first of all, as a Californian let me welcome you early to the sunny state. I live in the central valley that is hotter then hell lately–typical this time of year. I’ve actually only been to SF a few times, but it is beautiful! It is a city though–so most likely a cab will be your best way to get around if you have to travel very far. I have an ex brother in law that lives by the marina—beautiful area near the Golden Gate Bridge. There’s the exploratorium near there too. So much to see if you have time. Wish I could have my book autographed. You say you’re packed and I”m sure you wrote out a list so you wouldn’t forget anything. That’s the key!

On another note: I think you got the attention of men because you are more confidence in your appearance. Others will notice that energy & respond. Good for you! When I was first divorced I wanted to be invisible–I gained a lot of weight. Now 7 yrs. later I’m working to lose that weight.

Have a safe trip and have fun!

Nancy • July 16, 2008 at 12:45 pm

Hey PastaQueen, I first found your blog a few months ago by googling for something like “fat girl with no boobs” or something like that! LOL Because I was having a heck of a time finding bras that fit because at band size 46-48, the size B’s and C’s could fit over my head! Anyway… all that to say that I’m wondering how your bra quest is goign these days? (Good news I hope! hehe I’m losing weight too and I HOPE that one day I’ll find bras that fit, like normal people!)

MizFit • July 16, 2008 at 12:47 pm

I loved this post and found it oddly normalizing.

that youre entirely human. not that your other posts pretend otherwise at all—this just struck a deep chord with me.

travel safe. have fun.

EG • July 16, 2008 at 12:52 pm

We visited San Francisco a few weeks ago (From the east coast with a 15-month-old, I win. Or lose.) A blessing is that it’s so easily walk-able. And the areas you’re most likely to be in are safe.

And don’t try to diet, in fact I don’t recommend trying to maintain, ’cause the food is wonderful and everywhere and completely worth it. Controlled gain, wasn’t that something you were talking about?

Oh, and make a list. I have travel anxiety, too, and that helps sooo much. To bring, to do, contact info.

PastaQueen • July 16, 2008 at 12:57 pm

I can buy bras at the regular store now, thankfully. My band size is small enough these days that I can find an A cup in my size.

SayAmything • July 16, 2008 at 1:01 pm

I am bummed I won’t get to meet you this weekend. I live about an hour north of the city but can’t make it down. Otherwise, I would hide out like The Bush Man at Fisherman’s Warf (ask a local) to maybe crash the party. Boo!

I just wanted to say that I appreciate your humor and your writing style and this blog was an extra good one. I hope you have a great time this weekend and enjoy the left coast. Our summer fog seems to have returend to normal so that will be nice for you. It sounds like your weekend is set, but if you can make your way up to Sonoma County (wine country), it is nifty. I can reccomend some cool places to check out…

Rock On!

jae • July 16, 2008 at 1:19 pm

Oh, the anxiety of flying! The actual flying in itself isn’t bad, it’s the packing, forgetting and all that other stuff you mentioned. Just thinking about it makes my stomach knot! Yikes.

I hope you have a wonderful time at Blogher! ~j

Kyle • July 16, 2008 at 1:38 pm

You’re so funny! That’s the total opposite of my travel style. I prefer not to worry or plan anything and let things work themselves out :)

Red • July 16, 2008 at 1:45 pm

I’ll always remember when I lost a ton of weight Sophomore year of high school (60 lbs) and a cute girl at a shoe store was flirting with me.

It went like:

1) Woah, that’s a weird illusion, I thought you were saying that to me.

2) Wait, there’s NOBODY BEHIND ME.

3) Holy crap, an attractive stranger finds me attractive!

4) Is this how the rest of the world lives?

I then left to contemplate this, leaving cute girl hanging (It was the first time this had happened, I was not ready to proceed with reciprocation at that juncture).

Of course, I gained all that weight back, so it hasn’t happened in a while…

KC • July 16, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Oh so jealous you will be in S.F. I am now in the MidWest but come from northern California so S.F. is my favorite city – ever. I have seen a few but S.F. is home to me.

Do pack a light jacket or blazer to out on – in the morning and evenings you will need it. It is a great place to travel to when the heat of summer takes over the rest of the country.

If you have time to tour take the trolley up to Chinatown for some prime eats and shopping. Don’t forget to also lunch on the clam chowder and sourdough bread along the wharf area -yummy! Bring your walking shoes and head up to Nob Hill – that will work of any extra calories consumed.

Enjoy!

Susan Jackson • July 16, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I will be at your panel. Looking forward to the discussion, and hopefully meeting you!

P.S. The only men who holla at me on the street are old black men. They like big butts and they cannot lie. Still makes me feel good, though.

Lisa • July 16, 2008 at 3:23 pm

The catcall–on the one hand, you were passing for thin. On the other hand, you were passing for vulnerable and likely to take it without challenging the assholes. (If they thought you were that great, they could have gone up to you and tried to talk to you to your face–catcalls are never only about being complimentary.)

As for San Francisco, as long as you have the credit card you used for your hotel and airfare, some form of ID (license or passport), you’re golden. EVERYTHING else can be acquired.

Marshmallow • July 16, 2008 at 3:52 pm

Ahhhhhhh!!! The only catcalls I’ve ever had have been from 90 year old men, and they’ve been literally LICKING THEIR LIPS as I walk past them. Good gawd. Meat on my bones to munch on? *shudders*

Have fun at Blogher!

Pawkchop • July 16, 2008 at 4:08 pm

I lost 120 pounds 6 years ago (have kept most of it off). I was amazed that even at my advanced age of 45, men were talking to me on the street, holding doors for me, and even offering me candy (which I had to refuse in order to stay thin). The irony is that my formerly-squishy self would have taken the candy, but no one would have offered it to me then! It’s very odd to have the cloak of invisibility lifted. Have a great time in SF!

liz • July 16, 2008 at 4:18 pm

I am on the Jennette Fulda diet. Yes, you heard right. What is that, you ask. Well, every afternoon I get the uncontrollable urge to eat mindlessly. But for the past few months, I have been going into my computer room and reading your blog. I sometimes read up to a month or two at a time, until the urge passes. I have lost 30 lbs so far and am now up to date with your blog. You have inspired me and I am hoping that I can use the tools you have taught to loose the next 30.

asithi • July 16, 2008 at 4:26 pm

I have the same traveling list that I tape to my suitcase for the last few years. When leaving home, I check the items off as I pack them. Upon returning, I also check the items off at the hotel, so I would not leave anything behind. When I travel, I take pretty much the same things all the time, with the exception of a winter coat.

gknee • July 16, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Ok- heres a twist on the hotness phenomena.

On days when I am feeling pissy, I resent the attention– I get annoyed with the superficial nature of male attention. blah blah blah. I am woman-hear me whine! Other days I just smile.

the thing is that I know I was always hot on the inside– now my outside matches!

jen • July 16, 2008 at 4:44 pm

I always get the wolf whistles at the most random times, when I feel least attractive. Also, I can relate to the travel neuroses–I’m flying to LA tomorrow (from NYC) and am already in a high state of anxiety. I may break down and pop a leftover muscle relaxer just before boarding and pass out for the duration of the flight.

victoria • July 16, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Yeah, the coldest winter you’ll ever encounter is summer in San Francisco. Expect cool, damp, breezy weather. You probably have a lightweight-breathable jacket for running that would work great.

ALSO — I *too* have experienced the bizarreness of finding that some men apparently think I’m “hot” (for the first time in my life) for the last few weeks and having 3 different guys try to pick me up. I turn 43 next month. I have never attracted this kind of attention. WTF???

Jojo • July 16, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Hi Jennette,

I hope you have a great time at BlogHer and I just wanted to let you know I recently bought your book and can’t put it down…well I do read slowly because my daughter won’t let me do anything without her, but so far I love it and you’re such a good writer. I only commented once before, but I’m always reading and lurking around here. I’ve awarded you with the Must See Blog award at BuddhaBelle, hope you will “pick it up”.

Take care!

Laura N • July 16, 2008 at 11:54 pm

Hope you have a great time in SF! Try to relax & enjoy.

Boilergrad1993 • July 17, 2008 at 6:32 am

Whenever I get ready to fly I have same dream. I dream that I’ve forgotten to pack and the plane is taking off in 10 minutes. While I’m packing, I look out the window and see my plane take off. The other issue when I travel I have is underwear. No matter if I’m going away for a night or a week I can NEVER pack enough underwear!

maggieapril • July 17, 2008 at 6:35 am

I read thru the lineup scheduled for BlogHer. What a group of smart, strong, motivated women. You should be able to learn a lot and have fun.

There are only five necessities for an airline trip. 1)Eyeglasses/contacts (if applicable). 2)Photo ID. 3)Ticket. 4)Prescription medications. 5)Cash or credit card. Everything else is optional or replaceable, so no worries!!

Marla • July 17, 2008 at 8:05 am

Have a good time in SF, sexpot!

Pam • July 17, 2008 at 8:38 am

I don’t travel well either (like a fine wine I like to think) but San Francisco? Get over it! What a great city – you’ll have a blast. And they’re civilized there, so, you know, you can buy what you forgot. Try to see the redwoods in Muir Woods if you have the chance – coming from the east coast, it’s pretty awesome.

BrightAngel • July 17, 2008 at 9:49 am

Welcome to the world of conscious emotional overeating. . .

. . . which is the bane of my maintenance existence.

But (I remind myself) I have to be aware of a behavior before I can change it.

I live in central California, and will be thinking of you here in SF at the Westin St Frances this weekend. Perhaps they’ll give you one of the very rooms I’ve stayed in. I’ve always enjoyed my time in SF, and will be surprised if you don’t love it there.

kerry • July 17, 2008 at 11:46 am

This has nothing to do with men whistling or headaches or anything else!

Just wanted to say – your book arrived in the post today! (I’m in the UK) Been waiting a week for it since ordering…. hurrah!

anonymous boxer • July 17, 2008 at 1:01 pm

go get ‘em hot stuff, have a great trip!

Melsky • July 17, 2008 at 1:08 pm

I’m in a hotel in San Francisco right now. I lived here about ten years ago and my husband is going to a reunion here.

Ditto on everyone’s comments about the warm clothing! You can always spot tourists here because they are wearing San Francisco sweat shirts. They sell these in all the tourist areas because they know people don’t plan for the weather. I had a job doing that 15 years ago!

It looks like you can go to the YMCA here if you are a member elsewhere for a three dollar fee. I’m going to see if I can take a yoga class.

I’m also going to rent rollerblades and go skating in Golden Gate park on sunday when they close it to vehicles. I’m looking at going kayaking too. I’m going to be doing a lot of eating too, all the foods we can’t really get in Syracuse very well. So I’m really trying to balance it out.

Barb • July 17, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Wow!! If it only took a week to get it in the UK, you did pretty good. It took almost three weeks for me to get my copy that was coming to Canada.

Shawna • July 17, 2008 at 3:14 pm

have fun in San Fran – it’s amazing, the Pacific Ocean is amazing and you’ll most likely have a lovely adventure while there!!!! HAPPY TRAVELS!!!

K • July 17, 2008 at 6:58 pm

Off the subject but what do you think of the New York Times article that asks “Should doctors lecture their patients about their weight?” Thanks from the Midwest

Beth • July 17, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Jennette, I just finished your book, and I wanted to tell you that I loved it. I read pretty constantly for most of the last day and a half because it was so good. I’m working on losing about 75 pounds for the second time, and your writing gave me a lot to think about. I didn’t know about your blog before, but I will visit often now. I completely understand about your headache – I’m an out-of-control migraine sufferer, and I get headaches multiple days a week, and sometimes the ones that start in my neck last for days upon days. I have no miracle cures to share with you, but I do take magnesium, COQ10, B2, and Petadolex (butterbur) on top of my migraine meds, and that combination has lessened the frequency of my headaches a bit. My doc wants to try Topamax, but I’d rather deal with the headache. When I have the neck and back pain of the head tension-type pain, a mild muscle relaxant helps a bit. The thing I find most helpful and soothing, though, is a massage. I hope you find some relief, and I hope you enjoy your trip to SF. It’s a beautiful place to visit (my sis lives about an hour and a half south!). Thanks for writing the book – you’re a wonderful writer, and you presented your story in an accessible, genuine, and very human way.

Jaime • July 18, 2008 at 12:13 pm

I am almost done reading your book, and while at work i have been reading your entire blog (it took me about a month).

I hope your whole trip goes well.

tjones • July 18, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Just wanted to say thank you.

My husband bought me your book for my birthday 2 weeks ago and I read it every chance I got now I have just begun to read it again. I love your book and have been reading your blog since I started my new way of life back in May 2007.

Thank you again and continued success to you in all areas of your life

dietgirl • July 18, 2008 at 8:11 pm

Happy days! Have a rockin good time Jennette!

(My favourite memory of SF was a giant platter of sushi somewhere in the mission, it was all of $15 and I still swoon at the very thought of it :)

MB • July 19, 2008 at 10:47 am

I’m not surprised you are getting attention from random men on the street. Now that you feel heathy and have confidence dripping off you they can smell it a mile away. It is very attractive.

Enjoy the BlogHer conference. I’m sure you will be very popular. Who doesn’t know about and admire Pasta Queen.

Have a safe trip.

Lyn • July 20, 2008 at 6:03 pm

I was shocked too when men started smiling and being friendly to me. For me it happened about 230 pounds. Before that I was ignored a lot… even had men walk in front of me and not hold the door, as if I were invisible. I am undecided as to whether it was because of the weight, ot because of my attitude and how I hold myself. I smile more now, that’s for sure :)

Rita Arens • July 22, 2008 at 12:23 pm

I can’t wait to read your book and inhale your archives. It was so nice to meet you, and I’m so impressed with you and your accomplishments.

And, you’re hot, baby.

PastaQueen • July 23, 2008 at 12:43 pm

I haven’t read it and doubt I’ll get a chance, but thanks for thinking of me.

Game of Thrones rape: Director Alex Graves says the sex "becomes consensual."

Runaway stowaway survives Calif.-Hawaii flight: FBI - CBS News
If this had happened in a movie I would never have believed it was possible.

Fitbit, Nest data: How the companies are making money off you.

Site Meter