Decaffeinated

“I need some caffeine,” my brother yawned as he climbed off the freshly purchased air mattress on my apartment floor. He opened my fridge door. He closed my fridge door. He stared at me in horror. “You don’t have sodas?”

“Um, no. Welcome to the crazy house,” I replied. This was coming from the woman who drank five canned diet sodas a day back in February and loved the sweet, fizzy poison. “I don’t think I have any caffeine in the house, except for some old tea bags. Technically the decaffeinated coffee has some caffeine, but you’ll have to drink a lot of it to get a buzz.”

“I can’t believe this,” he said. My poor brother had spent the previous day moving and needed the insane jolt of consciousness to the brain provided by caffeine if he was going to pack up the rest of his kitchen and closets today.

“Sorry,” I said. “I got rid of all the caffeine because of my headache.”

I don’t know whether essentially eliminating caffeine from my diet has helped decrease the intensity of my never-ending tension-type headache I’ve had since Februrary 18th. However, I don’t think it’s made it worse. So, bub-bye sodas. You were rather heavy to carry up the stairs anyway. I would never have gone off of sodas by choice, but now that I have a chronic illness, I’m living cleaner than I ever did before. I’m drinking…water. Water! I know! I’ve gone completely insane and I go to the bathroom a lot. I drink water and Crystal Lite and some diet flavored teas…and occasionally you can find me in line at Starbucks. But only for one hit of coffee a day. I said I “essentially” not “totally” eliminated caffeine. I tried going off of it completely and felt in perpetual need of nap time.

And still I have a headache. I know people who drink a lot and smoke a lot and they don’t have headaches (except early on certain mornings). I eat well and exercise and now I don’t even drink sodas and I always have a headache. This doesn’t seem fair. But at least I am off of soda, which I know is good for my teeth and bones and my general health, though I would never, ever have done this on my own. But forgive me if I feel like I need a nap.

ETA: By the way, I know you all mean well, but I’m going to start deleting comments with suggestions about what to do about my headaches. I’ve heard just about everything at this point, and hearing the same suggestions over and over again are just giving me another headache. So, be warned. And yes, that means you, not everyone else except you. Comments about caffeine, soda, and coffee are welcome.

MizFit • July 14, 2008 at 9:10 am

duly noted that when Im invited to visit I shall either haul Mommy Merlot with me (aka Diet CAFFEINATED Whatevs) or suck on a tea bag.

Jenn9899 • July 14, 2008 at 9:21 am

Ah yes, caffeine and soda, staples of my college years….when I was drinking a liter of mt. dew a day…My stomach now forbids me anything fizzy and limited coffee. I too ponder my clean living and sometimes wonder why I seem to be punished for this behavior. Last week I was at a cookout, only drank water, ate healthy, had no dessert, went to bed at 11 pm. I woke up the next morning feeling like I had two bottles of wine and danced until 4 am. So not fair. If I’m going to feel that bad, I’d like to have done something to merit it!

Jenny O. • July 14, 2008 at 9:24 am

I quit Diet Cokes four weeks ago, in an effort to drink more water. I had a four-a-day habit. It wasn’t, and isn’t, easy. I liked the Diet soda as a “treat” since I wasn’t rewarding myself with food. But, I sleep better and I have less headaches. I’m sorry that the caffeine withdrawal hasn’t helped your headaches. I hope something does, soon!

Roxie • July 14, 2008 at 9:51 am

I so need to follow your lead and give up the diet coke habit. I’m doing better, but I still need to kick it completely. Good for you! My only consolation is that I did switch to decaf.

gknee • July 14, 2008 at 10:09 am

I have de-caffed and re-caffed a couple of times.

I think there’s something to it but I don’t want to admit it.

the “skinny bitches” folks say Soda is Satan.

might also be true– but again, I don’t want to be a zealot.

I am not sure about everything in moderation. Maybe some stuff just shouldn’t be in my diet at all. the science experiment continues…….

Larissa • July 14, 2008 at 10:36 am

so unfair. :(

i once had a terrible headache for several months. i won’t offer you any advice, but you have my deepest sympathy and i hope that you will be able to get rid of your headache soon.

Jen • July 14, 2008 at 10:38 am

No suggestions, just a hope that you have a breakthrough soon. It has to be terrible to live in pain every day.

I have been thinking about trying to detox from caffeine myself because I find I am dependent on it — I get a headache when I stop — once I change jobs and don’t need the jolt to stay awake during a long and boring commute.

Miz Robyn • July 14, 2008 at 10:53 am

Best cure for headaches: Kittens. One is good, four is best. Shall I make up a package for you? :D

Amy • July 14, 2008 at 11:15 am

I found out that I have severe reactions to caffeine. If I drink more than a 1/2 cup of coffee every 2 days I get the shakes and my heart does this goofy flutter thing. I was so happy when I figured out that it was caffeine and I was not going crazy. Now I live on Decaf coffee and Green tea to pretend I am part of the caffeinated world. When I am really tired and need a jump start I will drink my 1/2 cup and love it. Kudos to you for giving it up, just like anything else it gets easier the longer you do it.

Jenny • July 14, 2008 at 11:49 am

Just think, drinking all of that extra water is great for your skin! Giving up soda was the best thing I ever did five years ago. I still drink it sometimes, maybe once or twice a month. I feel so much better now. Since water is almost the only thing I drink, I mix it up with tea and the flavored water – needed to add some flavor to my diet. Oh and I stop for a latte a few times a week… :)

Susan C • July 14, 2008 at 12:19 pm

I’m a big Diet Coke drinker. What are your thoughts on the rumors/myths/truths(?) that diet soda makes you want to eat more?

Nina_V • July 14, 2008 at 12:23 pm

I had to quit caffeine completely (no coffee, no soda, no tea) for health reasons about two months ago.

The first few days felt like there was a troop of monkeys playing drums with my brain. But it got better and now I don’t even crave it.

I quit smoking about 12 years ago and that was way harder, so it definitely put things in perspective for me.

JEM • July 14, 2008 at 12:25 pm

I love not being dependent on caffine. I see so many people at the office who just can not function without 3 or 4 cups of coffee. I do drink diet soda and coffee once in a while as a treat but am so glad I never got myself hooked.

My mom who is a health freak in ever way besides what she drinks wishes she has never tasted diet coke. She is completely addicted. It is very funny to hear her say to someone “I am addicted to coke!”

karen • July 14, 2008 at 12:42 pm

I’ve cut back caffeine and feel much better. A few words of caution, beware of the artificial sweeteners……

Beth • July 14, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I used to drink loads of diet cola and my kids also started to drink it Then my younger son started getting awful migraines and had to stay off school frequently. He saw a specialist who told him to stop drinking diet coke and eating chocolate. He managed to do this and (touch wood) his headaches stopped. I still continued with the diet coke because I didn’t believe I could live without it. Eventually, after suffering from a headache that never went away, I forced myself to stop drinking diet coke and drink only decaffeinated tea. I don’t like coffee anyway. I have to say that it really helped, although I find it hard to keep off the chocolate. One thing that I noticed was that when I had migraines and was lying on the couch in a heap all day feeling nauseous, tea and diet coke were the two things that I couldn’t face thinking about. My headaches didn’t disappear overnight, but I really believe that caffeine is a lot more harmful than anyone realises, especially if you are sensitive to it. I’m sure going caffeine free will help if you are patient.

Jen • July 14, 2008 at 1:00 pm

I had to stop drinking coffee and soda a few months ago because it caused terrible stomach problems. I tried not being caffeinated but I am so not a morning person. I switch to unsweetened tea with lemon, and I am proud to say I am not longer drooling on my keyboard at work. If only I could work from 10-5 instead of 8-5

Caffeinated • July 14, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Ha! This post made me laugh because of my screenname. :-) I do love coffee, but I have cut down tremendously – I have only one cup a day now and some days none. I do still drink diet coke, but just two or so a week… I drink water and lots of crystal light, iced teas, etc. I do like the flavored waters though, if you can find the low-cal ones. Good luck with the headaches sister… we will be sending you good thoughts!

Laura • July 14, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Water with a slice of lemon is pretty much all I drink, except for some green tea occasionally. Tasty, cleansing and refreshing!

Although, when I eat out I do love a nice big glass of coke (not diet) with lots of ice. Mmmmmm..

fabooboo • July 14, 2008 at 1:28 pm

New reader here. Hi. I’m a diabetic and have had a few heart attacks. My dietitian recommended white tea. It also comes in decaf. I also drink 1/2 caff coffee (Folgers) one cup a day as a diuretic. Most of my headaches are caused by food allergies/sensitivity. Good luck to you.

Minze • July 14, 2008 at 1:50 pm

Coffee substitute. The brand I use tastes a little like a very mild caffee latte. Herabouts we call it “Muckef*ck”. From the French phrase “mocca faux”. Seriously.

Amy • July 14, 2008 at 1:53 pm

I’m nearly addicted to McD’s Coke, but my dentist scared me away from soda during significant restoration work to my teeth. I try to limit myself to one a week… none of that diet crap for me.

Have you found the Crystal Light energy mix? There’s as much caffeine in it as coffee, so I drink that (I don’t like coffee). I guess if you’re trying to stay away from it that doesn’t help much! I drink one of those per day and my other three or so CLs are the regular flavors.

Of course the energy mix says it has B vitamins, which is what we give pets to give them an appetite, so maybe I’m thwarting weight control with this product…

BMary • July 14, 2008 at 2:15 pm

I don’t like carbonation, so luckily, I’m not tempted by the soda. I do like tea, though, and coffee. In general I try for two cups of caffeinated beverage per day, which was hard before if I wanted to drink something that wasn’t water, yet was virtually calorie-free, with meals. But then I (re)discovered flavored unsweetened waters. I really like the subtle flavor, and like that I can drink them at night and get no calories or caffeine. And yet not be as bored as I eventually get with plain old water. Yay.

Laura N • July 14, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Man, bummer that your headache is not getting any better. At least you are still trying to find a solution. Hang in there (what else is there to do?!).

I’ve always been suspicious of nutrasweet. My husband used to drink 6-10 diet Mt Dews a day and I swear, if the man comes down with cancer one day I’m blaming it on the nutrasweet. I’m one of the “lucky” people who is allergic to it (ie, it gives me a headache & makes me feel sick; however, this comment in NO WAY implies that your headache is caused by nutrasweet, I know better than to suggest that! ;-). So I pretty much drink water & iced tea with sweet & low (which they used to think caused cancer, but now they don’t, so who the heck knows what’s what anymore). Oh, and coffee. I do drink coffee. Gotta have my coffee.

livingrainbowcolor • July 14, 2008 at 3:10 pm

er, um, about that book title….

I just googled you to get an easy link, but about 5 links down the list was the entry

“Half-assed author Jennette Fulda…”

Maybe not the most opportune label, no?

ROTFLMAO

Ashley • July 14, 2008 at 3:35 pm

I used to have a 4 can-a-day coke habit. I gave it up cold turkey in November of 2005 (yes, I still remember the date : ) I haven’t looked back since. I don’t know if it was the cutting out of sugar, or the increasing intake of water, but I felt a million times better and greatly decreased my migraine frequency.

EG • July 14, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Wow, I must really have a problem. I’m thinking about you overcoming your diet soda addiction and I’m actually feeling sorry for you. Poor girl doesn’t get the sweet brown bubbly goodness…

I’m pleased with my level of addiction, actually. 1-2 per day. I choose doctors who agree with me. Healthy!

Heidi • July 14, 2008 at 4:00 pm

AWWWWWW ;o)

BIG HUG

Natalie C @ Something Beautiful or Humorous • July 14, 2008 at 4:06 pm

I’m actually jealous that you don’t have caffeine in your house! I drink diet energy drinks in the morning b/c I don’t drink coffee & I feel like I have so little energy. I wasn’t realizing how much these things were costing until I started paying more attention in the grocery store after my husband and I started being huge nazi budgeters. I nearly fainted in the grocery store aisle. So I tried to go without them for 1 day & caved in the very same day b/c of the horrible headache I got in the afternoon.

So look at the bright side- you never noticed the caffeine detox headaches, because you already had a headache going on!

But I seriously wish I could part with the caffeine b/c it’s bad for your stomach, bad for getting a good night’s sleep, bad to be dependent on something, and bad for your teeth. Any detox tips??

Marshmallow • July 14, 2008 at 4:30 pm

Maaaaaan, caffeine doesn’t do jack for me – I remember late nights with assignments due with mug after mug of coffee/V/Red Bull/whatever caffeinated product was available, and I’d still knock myself off to sleep. Bah! So now, I just drink for taste. Or smell. Seriously, I made a cup of coffee to ‘smell’ it. And you think you live in a mad house? :-D

Hope the headache buggers off soon!

Quix • July 14, 2008 at 4:44 pm

My weird story about how I gave up caffeine without really trying:

I used to be a big coffee/soda/ice tea/diet energy drink drinker but when I started down this healthy living stuff my first goal was 8 glasses of water per day. I had barely been drinking 1 per day, so this was hard. I told myself that I could have other things to drink (besides one flavored thing in the morning) after I got my 8 waters. Most days, it was a struggle to get down that water so I didn’t drink much else. Then I notice caffeine was giving me a buzz again, so I had to watch when I drank it. So I told myself no caffeine after work, and somehow spent a month exploring herbal tea instead of coffee and then realized – hey, I don’t drink caffeine anymore.

The other day I went to lunch and got one green tea iced tea and was literally bouncing off the walls. I’m pretty sure I would now explode if I got hold of an energy drink. Crazy!

And I wish you luck finding the root of all evil in your head!

Karen • July 14, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Splenda? Like in Crystal Light. Makes my head feel like someone is digging out my eye socket with a metal railroad spike. This is just sharing, not telling you what to do about your headache. Swear.

Ellen • July 14, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Mmmm, I’d love to comment about coffee! Thanks for the invitation :) Why does coffee smell so much better than it tastes??? I wish that it tasted just as delicious and didn’t give me an acid stomach (bleh). Then I would drink more. Way more. I guess it is good that I don’t really like it, though, because I would add lots of cream and real sugar and make it a dessert :)

Yay for water! I add sugar free fruit flavored liquid vitamins to mine when I am craving something with flavor.

Luna • July 14, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Hey Jennette. Just got your book, getting ready to start reading it. I just wanted to let you know that I have battled CTH (Chronic Tension Headache) for years. I feel your pain (literally!). Good luck finding a treatment that works for you!

Kira • July 14, 2008 at 9:10 pm

I recently gave up caffeine for a while (like – two months or so), and discovered, much to my dismay, that it seemed to be my personality. Not that caffeine is the KEY to my personality, it actually IS my personality. Very sad.

Needless to say, I’m back on the devil’s own elixer, heart palptitations be damned.

Merry • July 14, 2008 at 9:26 pm

Well, that saves me from the bother of trying to actually Think of a headache suggestion. (Not necessarily a helpful suggestion… I wasn’t aiming as high as that.) I was impressed with all the different headache-solver ideas out there. You could put them together into a book.

Would a well-meaning but essentially powerless wish that the big H. goes away soon be cause for deletion? If so, I will keep it to myself.

Natalie • July 14, 2008 at 10:05 pm

I’ve found that I feel much better without caffeine and I’ve had no headaches since I’ve quit having aspartame. At first, I thought caffeine was causing my headaches, so I gave up soda, coffee and iced tea. Later when I tried Crystal Light and diet non-caffeinated drinks, I found that aspartame also gave me headaches.

My sister gets migraines from aspartame and her husband gets them from caffeine. I guess I get them from both. Fun, huh?

Congrats on being caffeine free! :)

asithi • July 14, 2008 at 10:08 pm

Same here. I have a low tolerance for caffeine. If I drink it after 12pm, that means I will be up pass midnight. However, I do love the taste of coffee (hate the taste of decaf). So I sip on 8 oz, once a week.

Drgnfly423 • July 14, 2008 at 10:33 pm

I quit drinking soda after I started taking Topamax. Another side effect is that it can alter the taste of certain foods. One thing I can not taste is carbonation. It was supposed to wear off, but I will taste my husbands soda every once in a while and I still can’t taste the fizzyness of it, and now the flavor tastes gross, too. I’m OF with having that side effect!

sl • July 15, 2008 at 12:43 am

I use to drink a lot of those energy drinks and coffee and occasional caffeine pill during college and hs (I know how terrible this sounds). And since then I’ve cut it down to the occasional cup of coffee. Weird thing is, it wasn’t hard for me because I was always sleepy back in hs/college and I’m still always sleepy now.

Not a suggestion, but a possible explanation? When your body goes from lots of caffeine to no caffeine, you get some pretty bad headaches for a while as your body adjusts, I think due to dehydration. So the benefits may arrive eventually?

Trina • July 15, 2008 at 4:05 am

I just wanted to say I think you are amazing!! You have inspired me to be a stronger healthier person. I would say I have about 180 to lose. WOW that is crazy to think a whole person!! Thank you for always being so brutually honest and showing me that I can do this!! I wish you the very best, and I hope you can get your headaches under control!! Take Care.

weelittleme • July 15, 2008 at 5:16 am

Going decaf is a challenge but worth… always inconvenient when friend offer tea etc but what the hey. Good on you for quitting and for drinking more water.

Caffeine means I can’t sleep at night unless I drink it very very early in the morning. Had to give up wheat and gluten and artificial sweeteners too because of my very own unsolvable headache. I’m headache free finally now but at first it felt like I couldn’t eat anything. Not as bad now.

Strangely enough I find that a great replacement for soda is just plain old unflavoured soda water the fizz is satisfying enough and if I want a little extra something something I’ll add a touch of lemon or lime juice.

Laura • July 15, 2008 at 6:06 am

Ah, the age old fight to go off coffee. I myself have fought that particular battle many times. I first became addicted after college when my first job was on the night shift at the hospital and I used way too much coffee to help adjust to the new sleep schedule. Then I weaned myself to a more acceptable level by forcing a switch to Earl Grey tea.

This year I started to get acid reflux (and the attendant stomach pain) from the combination of too much free coffee and the insanely long hours at my temp job, and had to force the coffee detox process again.

Now I have a small cup every morning but feel like I could suck down the entire french press’ worth and am barely keeping myself under control.

Every so often I think I should try switching to Yerba Mate, which is a kind of tea that has no caffeine but has a different kind of stimulant called mateine but I never get around to it. I used to work in a coffee shop and there were several customers who swore by Yerba Mate. However, I wonder how effective my switch attempt would be, since I know my husband will still be making coffee for himself. Could I possibly resist knowing there’s a big press full of sinful, magical, awake-ness in the fridge? I’m not so sure.

PastaQueen • July 15, 2008 at 7:40 am

I don’t know about that one. I was able to lose 200 pounds while drinking diet sodas. On the other hand, now that I’m off of them I find I don’t really want to drink them anymore, so they seem to be somewhat addicting.

PastaQueen • July 15, 2008 at 7:41 am

I haven’t tried the Energy Mix and if it’s got that much caffeine I’d better avoid it!

PastaQueen • July 15, 2008 at 7:41 am

I went off of it slowly. I have no idea if it caused headaches because I already have one all the time :)

PastaQueen • July 15, 2008 at 7:56 am

Sure, just remember to punch some air holes in the box :)

K • July 15, 2008 at 8:21 am

I never drank all that much Coke, but have given up coffee many times. I don’t think I ever had any illusions that this was goodbye forever, though. Perhaps it’s just as well I never picked up any worse addictions.

I can’t go to sleep early even if I’m totally caffeine-free, but that “I am too tired to concentrate” feeling is very familiar, particularly when I’m at work. Someone I know put a lot of photos of her office on Flickr a while back, and her office has an official nap room! Maybe this is the way forward? Everyone gets an officially-sanctioned nap period at a time of their choosing?

Somehow I don’t think my office will be adopting this any time soon.

Lorrie • July 15, 2008 at 2:00 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your ongoing headache :\ luckily, I don’t have any advice, I will say reading about your chronic headache has made me paranoid every time I get one. I always think “maybe this is the one that will never go away!” and then silently freak out.

Paige • July 15, 2008 at 2:28 pm

LOL @ people sending you headache remedies. I have stomach/digestion issues and there are times when I just snap when people tell me to “eat more fiber”. Well, der, like I didn’t try that when these issues started 2 years ago!

Just keep doing your thing and hopefully you’ll get the issue resolved. :-)

Lisa • July 15, 2008 at 3:09 pm

1. I’m sorry to hear that your headache is still there.

2. Interesting that you dealt with caffeine like a lot of people who’ve lost weight (including you, I think) have dealt with don’t-eat-often foods– by getting rid of it from your house, not just by avoiding it yourself. I’d be interested to read your thoughts on this bit.

Lisa • July 15, 2008 at 3:11 pm

What exactly is a nazi budgeter– only one or two million during the course of a war?

PastaQueen • July 15, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Well, I live alone, so once I drank everything that had caffeine in it, I didn’t buy any more. And my cat doesn’t have a Starbucks card, so he wasn’t bringing Frappuccinos into the house :)

Helen • July 15, 2008 at 3:51 pm

I have decaffeinated my life EXCEPT for that one cup of coffee in the morning before my run. I need it, I swear. The last time my sister and I took a trip together and I couldn’t-get-coffee for over two hours after we woke up she swore she was going to bring a hot pot and instant on the next trip because I guess I was a rip-roaring you know what prior to finding the Dunkin’ Donuts. So, maybe I’m addicted a little but I also like the taste of it and decaf just doesn’t taste the same to me.

Jill • July 15, 2008 at 4:55 pm

This is my first time here…Just bought and read your book…I couldn’t put it down. I am in awe of your commitment and impressed by your writing style and ability to communicate raw yet real feelings, emotions and attitudes.

When I saw this topic I thought I might mention that at the age of 40 I quit drinking my favorite drink…Diet Coke. Within 6 weeks my 15 year acne problem disappeared! There was no other alteration in my diet but this one thing. I still drink STRONG coffee in the AM so it wasn’t the caffeine…go figure!?!

Red • July 15, 2008 at 5:16 pm

I think I’d rather give up Diet Coke completely than drink the decaf version. My mom always bought it for when my grandfather came over, and for some reason it just tastes stale (like Diet Pepsi…bleh).

Your headache is just bizarre, I can’t believe it’s lasted this long. Is it constant (like, not even letting up for 30 minutes or so)? Man, I don’t know what’s wrong (I’m not a doctor, nor do I pretend to be), but I sure hope you feel better soon.

victoria • July 15, 2008 at 5:47 pm

It’s so funny how people kept posting advice about how to cure your headache — even though you clearly stated you wanted no advice. I think people just can’t resist the urge to help, especially when they discovered some magical solution that “saved” them and left them wishing urgently that they’d discovered it sooner. This urge to “share my secret magical solution” is so powerful, so universal, it overrides social cues (like your statement, “no advice, please”).

Kelly • July 15, 2008 at 6:12 pm

I too know the frustration of having great diet & exercise and feeling like crap, and being surrounded by people who treat their bodies like crap and feel great.

Yes, the advice can get really irritating. My illness ended up being one “real” doctors don’t believe in yet. I ended up finding help from a naturopath. So the most hilarious advice is the one that involves switching to a different kind of alternative medicine, usually one that is more expensive and less scientific. Ahh, good times.

Your good diet/exercise habits ARE helping you. DON’T give them up. I strongly believe that good habits, though they may not prevent illness altogether, have the power to shorten an illness, make it less severe, and give you the inner strength to deal with it.

Kelly • July 15, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Oops, I didn’t read the last paragraph of your post. I wondered why people were talking at length about coffee. I was like, the girl has a headache and you’re talking about coffee? Now I understand. My favorite is decaf espresso dumped in a big cup of ice (still hot so the ice waters it down just a tad, like an Americano). Homer Simpson inspired drooling…

kate • July 15, 2008 at 6:29 pm

I’m just curious what made you associate caffeine with your headaches. Caffeine is generally considered a headache treatment (it’s in most headache remedies), and caffeine withdrawal is a notorious cause of headache. I remember hearing about one study that suggested that caffeine be added to IV’s of post-op patients on the grounds that caffeine withdrawal was responsible for so many post-surgery headaches.

Lisa • July 15, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense.

Ruth • July 15, 2008 at 10:45 pm

Giving up my beloved Dr. Pepper is one of the hardest things. It just tastes so darn good. However, if I drink too much it or too often, it gives me a stomach ache and a headache. Also, stopping caffeine cold turkey gives me a 2-3 week headache but it eventually goes away and I can get through a day without napping…yawn.

Heather • July 15, 2008 at 11:09 pm

Yeah, well I say good for you!

I don’t drink caffeine– well, except maybe once in a blue moon at a party or something. I don’t drink soda often, and when I do it tends to be caffeine free…. I’m a water drinker!

Anonymous Boxer • July 15, 2008 at 11:28 pm

I “detoxed” in January and quit coffee and diet soda. I went back to coffee, but have not had any “Devil Sweat” in over 7 months.

I still miss it.

Kendra • July 15, 2008 at 11:46 pm

How about comments about naps? I really wish I could have a nap in the afternoons. Or on some afternoons a two hour nap.

I work in an environment with free soda and lots of free fancy coffee drinks and I’m pretty much over it. I guess it’s like working in an ice cream shop, eventually it doesn’t look good anymore.

susan • July 22, 2008 at 3:39 pm

I drink one cup of coffee a day, but I gave up diet soda last October. My headaches went away completely except for the 3-day migraine I have once a month (if ya know what I mean). However, I also gave up almost all artificial sweetener at the same time, so I’m not sure which helped.

I don’t miss the soda very often, but I think if I gave up my one cup of coffee, I’d be a crazy person.

Buy Experiences, Not Things - The Atlantic
Money can buy happiness if you spend it on experiences, not things.

The Man Who Smuggles Trader Joe’s into Canada